Timetable
Topic Author

When Did BA777, G-VIIA Last Op @ LHR?

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:17 am

Hi there, can anybody tell me when BA777 G-VIIA last operated @ LHR? I believe it hasn't operated @ LHR since 2001 @ least. Many thanks if anyone can help. Also this A/C also seems to operate BGI flights, does anybody know why? Many thanks from Timetable.

Tristarsteve

RE: When Did BA777, G-VIIA Last Op @ LHR?

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:16 am

Can'y help you on the first question but must say that BA keeps the B777 at LGW or LHR. They do not mix unless really necessary.
There are two fleets of B777 at LGW. VIIA is one of 6 4-class B777 that operate BGI flights. There is also a fleet of 4 3-class aircraft at LGW.
Actually the 6 4-class B777 at LGW are identical to the fleet of 14 B777-200ER GE powered aircraft at LHR so there is no reason why they could not be swapped over. It just doesn't happen.

trintocan

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Are not some of the 777-200 IGW's in LHR in the ultra-long-haul configuration with larger crew rest areas and the like? If that is the case then the LGW 4-class fleet is not fully interchangeable with the LHR one. Or am I mistaken and is it that only RR engined 777-200 ER's have that particular configuration?

Swapping planes between hub airports is also not as easy as it may appear - the transfer flights have to be scheduled into the busy activity at both airports and so on.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

APYu

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Do the Gatwick ones have any crew rest at all? Isnt that one of the gripes (understandably) of the Gatwick crews.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

Tristarsteve

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 2):
Are not some of the 777-200 IGW's in LHR in the ultra-long-haul configuration with larger crew rest areas and the like? If that is the case then the LGW 4-class fleet is not fully interchangeable with the LHR one. Or am I mistaken and is it that only RR engined 777-200 ER's have that particular configuration?

Yes it is RR aircraft.

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 1):
Actually the 6 4-class B777 at LGW are identical to the fleet of 14 B777-200ER GE powered aircraft at LHR

LGW same as GE aircraft.

LHR777

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:06 pm

G-VIIA is also a hybrid of sorts. It has in-plane loading systems for pallets in both holds, but the rear hold only has a small door, so can only take AKE/PLA containers. I believe this is one reason why it was moved to LGW, due to it's relative lack of configurations for freight-loading.

Sketty222

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 3):
Do the Gatwick ones have any crew rest at all? Isnt that one of the gripes (understandably) of the Gatwick crews

I travelled on G-VIIA last week BGI-LGW and it is indeed a 4 class aircraft. The crew rest area is the last row of 3 seats in the centre of economy. Basically the crew pull a curtain around the seats. Compared to the 747 its a little bit small and personally I dont think I could get any rest in there

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying