Republic
Topic Author

Which Airline Has Best Web Site?

Sun Aug 27, 2000 12:29 pm

In your opinion, which airline/airlines have the best web site/s? Which ones are the easiest to use? Which give the best information? And, the opposite question of course, which need the most work?

tupolev154b2

RE: Which Airline Has Best Web Site?

Sun Aug 27, 2000 12:48 pm

Lindy

Sun Aug 27, 2000 12:50 pm

www.usairways.com

They won. they have No.1 web page on the net
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

MCOtoATL

SWA Has A Great One

Sun Aug 27, 2000 12:52 pm

Most of the airlines put a great deal of emphasis on their website. But SWA is the only airline that has the "Passengers Bill of Rights." This was in the news today as a Senator from Oregon is calling for all carriers to do this, but only Southwest does.

Also, SWA is the poster child for online reservations. They have always led the way with this factor, which is a huge money-making and money-saving endeavor. Stats show that is costs the airline $4 for a phone-in reservation, whereas the web site costs only $1.

Granted, other airlines have cool features, but Southwest has been the best at making great breakthroughs on the web.

Lindy

RE: SWA Has A Great One

Sun Aug 27, 2000 1:00 pm

Continental made deal. If you are making reservation over the phone you have to pay extra $20
Also US did the same thing. If you are buying ticket online you save $10
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

777YYC

Sun Aug 27, 2000 1:26 pm

http://www.cdnair.ca
It has the best schedule feature of any site I've been to.
It shows details for every single flight number.
I have too much time on my hands.

Republic
Topic Author

CO Has The Best

Sun Aug 27, 2000 2:12 pm

www.continental.com
click on corporate information

excellent info on their fleet, with a virtual tour of the 777.

also, they list what part of their fleet is for sale, which I think is really interesting, in the corporate info section as well.

propilotjw

Sun Aug 27, 2000 2:18 pm

Hey everyone, remember that TWA's new website is starting on the 28th (monday). Check it out at www.TWA.com on monday. you will be in for a treat. It should be awesome

Kiwi dave

Sun Aug 27, 2000 2:19 pm

QANTAS in my mind has the best web site around and Air New Zealand needs the most work on their's

Bicoastal

Sun Aug 27, 2000 2:24 pm

By far the best is United Airlines. http://www.ual.com
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Sun Aug 27, 2000 3:21 pm

Yeah TW better improve. The current one really sucks. Getthere.com provides the fare and scheduling info and sometimes recommends other airline's flights over TW's because they are cheaper. Good for the customer, but not for TW. Definately needs an upgrade.

Cubana's website at cubana.cu is surprisingly impressive. All in spanish however, but very easy to navigate.

Lufthansa's is the definition of European chic.

JetBlue's is very easy to navigate and stylish.

Delta's is very useful and enormous. One thing is that it doesn't have enough info on Delta Express. US Airways has the same issue in my opinion with Metrojet.

Bad ones:

Gulfstream International Airlines still hasn't updated since the TW Connection deal. Come on.

ACA's website is still quite lacking especially on info regarding on the new ACJet service.

Spirit's website has frsutarted me in the past because it cancelled my reservation when I didn't put in my billing address for my sending address. When I tried again the price jumped significantly. I was furious.

cba

Sun Aug 27, 2000 3:29 pm

Continental in my opiniom, is the best. The interface is really friendly, and they offer a lot of corperate information.

Runners up are Northwest and US Airways.

LN-KGL

Sun Aug 27, 2000 4:43 pm

You ought to look into the Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) web site if you look for simplicity in navigatation. Full access to your personalized part of the web site comes first when you register and login.
http://www.scandinavian.net/
I also must say that the re-done UAL web site has gained a lot on the leaders in the business.

wodo

Mon Aug 28, 2000 5:39 am

www.lufthansa.com

AerLingus

Mon Aug 28, 2000 1:08 pm

jetBlue has one of the best websites as far as neat stuff, but I really think that americanair.com does a great job as far as information, flight schedules, and access to information about your Aadvantage account.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

klwright69

Mon Aug 28, 2000 1:47 pm

I've only dealt with a few websites.

CO's is so straightforward, and has large icons to access the information the vast majority of users want.
But when you bring up schedules' CO' site will suggest the most convoluted, ridiculous routing arrangements. Someone not observant might book a flight from CLE to PHX with two connections. I'm not kidding.

When you first go to UA's site, you're presented with lots of choices of lines of text you can click on to get whatever. That's O.K. but it seems to follow the philosophy that being the world's largest airline, they must offer a bewildering array of "stuff" at their website instead of just the "basics." Also if you check on a flight's status at UA's site, it confirms that you're entering a secure connection, while CO's site just shows the flights status without establishing a secure connection. UA I guess feels that divulging whether flight #135 is on time or not needs to be on a secure connection.

TW's site is just plain stupid. In their roster of TW cities you access in order to check schedules, they list cities serviced by their code share partners. This is not unusual I know. But, when you attempt to access the schedule between those cities it tells you it can't find any service. For example at TW's site, try checking between Kuwait City and JFK (Kuwait is on their city list choices). It'll tell you "no service found." Maybe other sites do this too, I don't know.

Vanguard's site actually lets you pick the fare category, which is ridiculous cause most people just want the cheapest fare available and don't care if it's a 'K' or 'M' fare. It also makes it a little confusinf if you don't know what you're doing.

I haven't done a formal study, just sharing some observations!!!!!!!!

Eraxandaf

Mon Aug 28, 2000 2:28 pm

I like Qantas', British Airway's, Swissair's, Singapore's, El Al's is interesting too. Air New Zealand's (because I love the So. Pacific), Hawaiian's, but I really wish Air France's was a lot better than it is. It could be so much better, and should! Although they do have this cool flight game on the kids section (the airfrance.fr site, not the US version)...

TWFirst

Tue Aug 29, 2000 12:01 am

I've just explored TWA's new website - it's awesome!!!

Extremely professional and well organized.

Hey Russ (TWAneedsNOhelp), United does the same thing (at least they used to). The thing is, even if you book another airline over TW's site, they still make commission on the sale. TW's goal is to try to be your one-stop shop for travel reservations.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Tue Aug 29, 2000 1:21 am

British Airways

AFa340-300E

Www.AirFrance.net

Tue Aug 29, 2000 1:34 am

Hello,

For the customers, Air France has developped quite many websites (38, for the most important markets)
You can book tickets on most of them, and even get much discounted tickets!

See: http://www.AirFrance.com

IMO, the pages are nice and convenient to use.

But the website that should interest you the most is their coporate website:
http://www.AirFrance.net

This website has pages about
-The news of Air France
-The fleet
-The network
-Financial and operational reports
-The services
-The stock

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Kazutaka Yagi

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

Peter

Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:43 am

I think that Delta, British Airways, and Aeromexico have great sites.

MRDC-10MD-11

Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:54 am

Sun Country

MRDC-10MD-11

Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:56 am

Sun Country's is the best and Air Lingus needs work

RWally

Tue Aug 29, 2000 7:18 am

AA.com has the best. United's needs the most help.

Tue Aug 29, 2000 8:03 am

Hey 'First. Yeah I understand. I just don't like that GetThere.com booking engine. Not as impressive as Expedia and Travelocity. Even Ichan's LowestFare.com is better! One I would never use btw.

russ

N960AS

Tue Aug 29, 2000 10:26 am

I would say jetBlue is really good. The new TWA one is nice too! Alaska could use some help, like pictures of planes and seat maps.

Charles802

Thu Aug 31, 2000 9:26 am

Alaska has seat maps on their site...and they're actually very detailed with the exact pitch of every row (look under Alaska Commitment...really stupid place to put them, but what can I say)

Soon, they will be able to allow you to pick your exact seat, like on other airlines.