khobar

Charred Body Falls From Plane?

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:49 am

PARIS — The charred remains of a man thought to have fallen from an aircraft were found in a garden in a Paris suburb, police officials said Thursday.

The man was almost certainly stowed away in the landing gear of an aircraft when he fell, officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316706,00.html

Why would the remains have been charred by being a stowaway in the landing gear?

Hmmm...sounds like a Myth Buster's opportunity.

graphic

RE: Charred Body Falls From Plane?

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Khobar (Thread starter):

Why would the remains have been charred by being a stowaway in the landing gear?

Hot brakes?
Demand Media fails at life

NWAESC

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:56 am

Well, extreme cold can "burn" as well as heat... Maybe that's what it was???
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

georgebush

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:15 am

Didn't something like this happen recently on a DL service from DKR-ATL?? I don't understand if these people are suicidal or actually think they can survive a 10hr flight at -60 degrees centigrade and breathing hardly any oxygen.

Would you also not be crushed when the gear is retracted?
Al Gore invented global warming.

gabo787

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 3):
I don't understand if these people are suicidal or actually think they can survive a 10hr flight at -60 degrees centigrade and breathing hardly any oxygen.

A few of this undercarriage stowaways have survived.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/867628.stm

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8S8A3SG0&show_article=1&cat=0

That's what encouraged the others to give it a shot, not to mention that most of these people are really poor and without proper education, so they do not know about the freezing temperatures and the lack of O2 that they have to face.

On the other hand, how come this guy got charred? I beleave this is the first time I hear something like that

oly720man

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 pm

Could be a mis-translation

According to a french report

http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/societe/297821.FR.php?rss=true

Les débris humains d'un homme «à la peau mate», probablement un clandestin tombé du train d'atterissage d'un avion, ont été découvert ce matin par deux employés d'une entreprise de montage de film.

a la peau mate = dark skinned..... unless I'm missing something

The french report also, gruesomely, has that the remains were spread over an are of 50 sq metres.... and that the body was still warm (29C) so the person was probably still alive before falling.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

GrahamHill

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 5):
a la peau mate = dark skinned..... unless I'm missing something

You're not missing anything. Your translation is correct.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

oly720man

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 6):
You're not missing anything. Your translation is correct.

Merci. Having seen a variety of online translations I was wondering if there were other uses of the word that the media could use as a euphamism for burnt.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

khobar

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Ahhhh, of course. Now it makes sense - these incidents happen quite often.

Geeze, charred...

Many thanks for the clarification.

GateHold

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Didn't something like this happen recently on a DL service from DKR-ATL?? I don't understand if these people are suicidal or actually think they can survive a 10hr flight at -60 degrees centigrade and breathing hardly any oxygen.

As another poster has already pointed out, most of these stowaways are from very poor countries and don't exactly have a solid understanding of things like aircraft pressurization.

If you've ever looked up into the gear bays of a widebody aircraft, you'll know there is room for *several* people amongst all the equipment, so it makes for a tempting, albeit deadly hiding place. Imagine the total darkness, deafening noise, and the very good chance of being crushed to death by the struts, doors, and retraction mechanisms of the undercarriage. Worse even than coach.

In early 2007 a body was found in the wheel well of a DL 767 after landing in ATL from Dakar. Since then, DL's departures from DKR are trailed by a security truck as they taxi out.

This sort of thing was much more common in the '70 and '80s, particularly on flights to the U.S. coming from Haiti.

I remember a picture from Life magazine, taken in the 1970s by an amateur photographer. It shows a young boy dropping from the wheel-well of a Japan Air Lines DC-8 only seconds after takeoff. The boy, who had either slipped, jumped from fright, or been dislodged by a piece of moving equipment, had climbed aboard unnoticed in hopes of reaching Australia. The photographer, who was simply snapping shots of airplanes, had no idea he’d captured the imagine until after developing his film.

USADreamliner

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:41 pm

I don't understand if these people are suicidal or actually think they can survive a 10hr flight at -60 degrees centigrade and breathing hardly any oxygen.

This people are desperated. They don't know what to do to escape their misery. It's not a matter of intelligence!

2H4

Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Quoting Gatehold (Reply 9):
I remember a picture from Life magazine, taken in the 1970s by an amateur photographer. It shows a young boy dropping from the wheel-well of a Japan Air Lines DC-8 only seconds after takeoff.

The photo is here, if anyone wants to see...

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

vald

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):

Wow! wow!

Vega9000

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):

Horrible!!!  Sad

If you join a severe lack of education with severe desperation, you'll understand. For many of them, suicidal is staying in their countries. And people will try anything if it means they won't starve or be killed.
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.

gabo787

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:16 pm

The french report also, gruesomely, has that the remains were spread over an are of 50 sq metres.... and that the body was still warm (29C) so the person was probably still alive before falling.

Could this indicate that the fall occurred during take off instead of landing?

AF340

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Quoting Khobar (Reply 8):

Geeze, charred...

Many thanks for the clarification.

Since this has been cleared up, maybe you could change the name of the thread...

AF340 wave 

soon7x7

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):

That's why they suggest you don't remove your seatbelt.........

flyingsikh

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:32 pm

The irony of your name and your comment  flamed 

I highly doubt people with an education and money would jump at the chance to climb into a wheel well...usually its the poor and the extreamly desperate
Today gives us a chance to love, to work, to play, and to look up at the stars.

brilondon

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Imagine the total darkness, deafening noise, and the very good chance of being crushed to death by the struts, doors, and retraction mechanisms of the undercarriage. Worse even than coach.

laughing   checkmark 
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

SAS-A321

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, must be just like travelling with Ryanair.
It's Scandinavian

yyz757fan

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:56 pm

I reacall a similar incident at Toronto International Airport (YYZ) a few years back involving a Sky Service A320. A ramp worker from the Domincan Republic stowed inside the wheel well. wasnt found for 8 days , thousands of miles travelled and numerous landing cycles. He was frozen solid and took 3 days to defrost for the post mortem. It was amazing that he would have stayed up in the wheel well for all those cycles when surly he was dead aafter the first flight,

BAKJet

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting SAS-A321 (Reply 19):
Well, must be just like travelling with Ryanair.

Is Ryanair really that bad. (as opposed to normal coach or Easyjet or another LCC, not stowing away in an airplanes landing gear bay)

GateHold

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):

Thank you! I searched high and low for a copy of that photo. Last time I saw one was, probably, 1982 or so. It's exactly how I remembered it.

Reggaebird

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 8):

Geeze, charred...

I hope calling dark-skinned people "charred" doesn't catch on! That could make things uncomfortable in several parts of the world.

flyingsikh

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 23):

im "brown" and kinda find it funny  Silly
Today gives us a chance to love, to work, to play, and to look up at the stars.

SQA350

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting FlyingSikh (Reply 17):

The irony of your name and your comment

I highly doubt people with an education and money would jump at the chance to climb into a wheel well...usually its the poor and the extreamly desperate

checkmark  ...exactly my thoughts!
"No more window seats in business class, sir!" "Any in economy? Yes? Then downgrade me!"

wdleiser

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:00 am

It is just an honest misinterpretation

I remember when I was young I was at Target and looked up at my dad and called the dark skinned black ... think Nigerian, very very dark skinned and I called him purple. The guy laughed because I was a little kid

BlueSkys

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting YYZ757FAN (Reply 20):
I reacall a similar incident at Toronto International Airport (YYZ) a few years back involving a Sky Service A320. A ramp worker from the Domincan Republic stowed inside the wheel well. wasnt found for 8 days , thousands of miles travelled and numerous landing cycles. He was frozen solid and took 3 days to defrost for the post mortem. It was amazing that he would have stayed up in the wheel well for all those cycles when surly he was dead aafter the first flight,

I makes you wonder about the thoroughness of a pre-flight walk around. How could that go unnoticed for so many cycles?

lrdc9

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:37 am

Wow, the pic is kind of scary I feel bad for the guy who fell and the guy who had to realize he was there when it happened and those who had to clean up the mess. Sad. BTW, how does a fully frozen full grown man go unnoticed that many flights?
Just say NO to scabs.

Pellegrine

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:03 am

http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/societe/297821.FR.php?rss=true

Les débris humains d'un homme «àla peau mate», probablement un clandestin tombé du train d'atterissage d'un avion, ont été découvert ce matin par deux employés d'une entreprise de montage de film.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):

Ghastly. I wonder why the 14yo Aussie tried to stow away.
oh boy, here we go!!!

threepoint

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 28):
I feel bad for the guy who fell

Yes.

Quote:
and the guy who had to realize he was there when it happened

Why?

Quote:
and those who had to clean up the mess.

Definitely.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

flymad

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:31 am

It was amazing that he would have stayed up in the wheel well for all those cycles when surly he was dead aafter the first flight,

What's even more amazing is that it took 8 Days for someone to inspect the wheel well and find the body. AFAIK, wheel wells are inspected after each landing.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:31 pm

Worse even than coach.

Can't be!! LOL.

Sad about the little boy. That is a real vivid picture.
What gets measured gets done.

yyz757fan

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:02 pm

[

Quoting Flymad (Reply 31):
It was amazing that he would have stayed up in the wheel well for all those cycles when surly he was dead aafter the first flight,

What's even more amazing is that it took 8 Days for someone to inspect the wheel well and find the body. AFAIK, wheel wells are inspected after each landing.

The poor stowaway was lodged in the centre section of the landing bay and was hidden by the gear doors. Those doors only open briefly during gear deployment and retraction. While on the ground the doors are in the closed postion. Its not part of the normal pre or post flight inspections to lower those doors subsequently the stowaway remained hidden until the doors were lowered for a weekly routine inspection.

khobar

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 15):
Since this has been cleared up, maybe you could change the name of the thread...

Sure, but how do I do that?

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 23):
I hope calling dark-skinned people "charred" doesn't catch on! That could make things uncomfortable in several parts of the world.

Yeah, the term seemed so far off I didn't even think of a mis-translation. Wow...