cmb320

Emirates Snow Spectacular Houston

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Emirates seems to be sponsoring a "Snow Spectacular" at the Galleria on certain dates in December. Looks like you can skate under falling snow.

I wonder if Emirates will have any interesting displays at the Galleria while this is going on. I'll be there to check it out.

thomasphoto60

RE: Emirates Snow Spectacular Houston

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Wow, what a day and night difference between EK and let's say that of CI and PK with regards to marketing to the local population. Seems that EK is going full force in getting the word out (I am in Minnesota and have been since Thanksgiving, so I have not seen the promos or heard the radio spots, but from what I have been told and read here and elsewhere, Emirates is plastering the city with ads). I certainly hope that all of this hype and these promos yield full aircraft.

I wondering if QR and SQ will follow EK's marketing lead.?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

yellowtail

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 1):
Emirates is plastering the city with ads). I certainly hope that all of this hype and these promos yield full aircraft.

If the a.net forums are to be believed..flights are already full....and the cargo holds are overflowing.....if they are amortizing the promotional expenses (which are enormous)...the route should be profitable already.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

CALMSP

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:00 pm

they currently have ads on the elevators that are b/t the ice rink and the True Religion jeans store.........looked kind of cool to see their ads there. the ice rink is also lined with EK logos.

aznmadsci

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:31 pm

Hey Y'all! This is my first post on A.Net!

EK has been marketing their flights in the Houston Galleria since day after Thanksgiving. They had signs all over. On that day, they hired a group of ladies to do free gift wrapping by the Neiman Marcus wing while shoppers wait watching a recurring clip promoting EK and Dubai. They were wearing EK lapels/pins, but not the typical uniform. The following weekend, they had a display sign regarding their ICE entertainment system. On the elevators in Galleria 2, they covered each of the elevator windows to collectively say "Fly to Dubai". They're definitely doing some interesting marketing during this holiday season! Wish they brought the different mock-ups of their first, business, and economy seats.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

mnik101

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:22 pm

One can only image the ads in California once they announce it.

CO777DAL

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:26 pm

Hell I'm more intrested to see them make it snow in Houston, albeit inside the Galleria.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

threepoint

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 4):

A big welcome, mad scientist.

EK has been marketing their flights in the Houston Galleria since day after Thanksgiving. They had signs all over.

A marketing juggernaut. It's going to be very interesting to see the long-term effect EK forces upon the long-haul marketplace and the players within it.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

haan

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 pm

I can concur and say that the flights in both directions are fully booked and Cargo yields between 5T-10T on every flight. So u are talking about 30T-40T on every flight.

strandedinbgm

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Haan (Reply 8):
Cargo yields between 5T-10T

Quoting Haan (Reply 8):
about 30T-40T

What is T?
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

UK_Dispatcher

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting Strandedinbgm (Reply 9):
What is T?

I think he means tonnes (1000kg).

EXAAUADL

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I doubt both QR and EK will be successful there....Is there a big Indian population in Houston? If so DXB would be a great connect point to India

haan

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 10):
I think he means tonnes (1000kg).

Correct

UALDUDE

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 11):
I doubt both QR and EK will be successful there....Is there a big Indian population in Houston? If so DXB would be a great connect point to India

Yes there is, a large Indian and Pakistani population.

davescj

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Welcome to A.net, Colin.

Wish I was in IAH. Would love to go downtown and see the snow. But I guess I'll have to settle for the dry climate of ELP instead (going to see folks for Christmas).

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

airlineaddict

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:49 am

Emirates marketing campaign is unparalleled. At Terminal D in IAH, there's a huge mural of the Emirates newspaper ad regarding their first class suites. EK is making their presence felt. On a side note, TSA needs to step up now as there was only one security lane open for EK and BA flights that are scheduled to depart around the same time.

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 11):
Is there a big Indian population in Houston? If so DXB would be a great connect point to India

I happened to catch a flight at IAH around the same time of EK's departure. A majority of the passengers waiting by the EK gate (Gate 4) were mostly South Asian (e.g., India, Pakistani, etc). It will be interesting to see how load factors change after the holidays.