747Dreamlifter
Topic Author

SQ A380 Captain's Salary -"Disappointing"!

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Ever wondered what a Captain flying the world's largest passenger aircraft gets paid ??? Well, I just happen to have the answer to share with you. After two hours of researching, compiling, re-calculating and 3 cups of coffee later, I came up with these figures...."I was disappointed....expected a lot more"!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

*Picture on the left is Singapore Airlines senior pilot-Captain Robert Ting who flew SQ's first A380 from Toulouse to Changi and commanded the first revenue flight to Sydney.

Singapore Airlines Senior Captain flying an A380 earns a base salary of (US)$10,855 per month. This is $458 more than a captain that's piloting their 747 aircraft. A First Officer on the A380 earns $351 more than his counter-part on the 747.

Back in May 07, Singapore Airlines tried to end the pay disparity on different wide-body types to facilitate pilot transition to all aircraft within their fleet. However opposition by Singapore's ALPA (Airline Pilots Association) blocked that move and won a court injunction in their favor through arbitration. The pilots union was also trying to seek a monthly salary range of (US)$8,618 to $14,220 for A380 Captains based on longevity.

Singapore Airlines still contends that it is difficult to have pilots on their 747 switch to the Triple-7s because their base pay is lower.

Also back in May, ALPA-Singapore union argued that pilots flying larger aircrafts have the added responsibilities of greater passenger capacity and should be paid more. SIA disagreed, saying that due to advances in technology, flying the A380 is no more difficult than other aircrafts in their fleet.

Singapore Airlines is Asia's most profitable air carrier.....It posted a net profit of (US)$1.7 billion in fiscal year ending March 31, 2007.

So....What how much does Captain Ting earns??
Singapore Airlines
Base salary: $10,855.00 / month (also SQ salary cap**) ---because he's a senior pilot.
Max flying hours: 60 /month
Hourly pay: $180.91
** Captain Ting has been flying for SQ over 20 years and has flown every wide-body type in their fleet.

Let's compare Captain Ting's A380 salary to that of a United Airlines captain who commands a 747-400 after only 11 years with UA.
Base salary: $11,960.00 / month
Max flying hours 65 /month (also minimum guarantee)
Hourly pay: $184.00

Now lets compare these two with a Qantas Airways captain who also commands a 747-400 after 11 years with QF.
Base salary: $11,520.00
Max flying hours: 65
Hourly pay: $177.24

***All figures were converted into US$
US$ 1 = S$1.451
US$ 1 = $0.86041 AUS

I am certain the A380 pilots will be on the bargaining table as more Super Jumbos are received in 2008.

Cheers.  Smile

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: SQ A380 Captain's Salary -"Disappointing"!

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Singapore Airlines pilots and cabin crew also get allowances which I believe are tax-free and these can add up to a few thousand Singapore Dollars (S$) too. This needs to be factored in.

Singapore Airlines' staff are not as well paid in absolute terms compared to certain other airlines as you demonstrated above. Nevertheless, this is necessary to ensure that the controllable expenditure items are managed as best as they can to ensure a low unit cost. While Singapore Airlines' unit cost is low, unfortunately there are competitiors that have lower unit cost. Furthermore, apart from perhaps the lastest financial year, Singapore Airlines has not been earning its cost of capital despite stellar profits.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

roseflyer

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:01 pm

How is a salary over $120,000 disappointing? Just because the A380 is the biggest plane, that doesn't mean that they should get paid higher than every other pilot in the world. They deserve high pay, but comparing them to QF and UA is difficult. The airlines operate in different parts of the world. Costs of living vary greatly. Airline financial conditions vary too. It's really hard to compare people with similar jobs but living in different continents.

It's interesting to see SQ fighting to get all widebody pilots the same wage. Some airlines have many brackets and some have fewer.

United is one of your examples, and I believe they have the 777 and 747 at the same pay rate.

[Edited 2007-12-18 12:08:34]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

incitatus

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting 747Dreamlifter (Thread starter):
re-calculating and 3 cups of coffee later,

Not enough cups it seems.

Let's compare Captain Ting's A380 salary to that of a United Airlines captain who commands a 747-400 after only 11 years with UA.

United's most junior captain was hired in 1997 and flies a 737. That is where 11 years with UA takes a pilot to. His salary is no more than 103k per year (hourly pay $133).
Stop pop up ads

vincewy

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Also cost of living, income tax rates, and benefits can be different, you can't gauge the salaries in absolute dollar terms. I know it costs a lot more to live in Sydney than Singapore.

SkyTeamTriStar

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:23 pm

Singapore Airlines Senior Captain flying an A380 earns a base salary of (US)$10,855 per month.

Is this type of income the same as living in poverty, even while living in Singapore? IDK?? Curiosity strikes me.

ikramerica

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:29 pm

The ALPA argument that an A380 is "more responsibility" than a 747 has always struck me as silly. It insults 747 pilots, and somehow implies that an A380 has to work harder not to purposely kill more people than another pilot, as if those who fly a 747 or A320 for that matter are more likely to carelessly fly into a mountain because their plane is smaller...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

futurecaptain

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:31 pm

What is the cost of living in Singapore or wherever Captain Ting calls home?

Also, if everyone works the minimum hours Captain Ting ends up working 5 hours less than his counterparts it seems. If Mr. Ting would like an extra 5 hours a month to work his pay would end up right in the middle of Qantas and United. I'd bet, seeing as he is still making over 130K a year, he will take the extra 5 hours at home rather than working.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Gr8Circle

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:41 pm

You're not comparing apples to apples....as already pointed out by others, the cost of living varies from country to country.....the SQ pilots may actually live a better life than the ones in QF or UA, due to the fact that Singapore is probably cheaper when compared to Australia or the US.....

Take the example of AI pilots flying 744's....while I do not have the actual figures in US$, I'm sure it would work out to less than the corresponding figures for SQ, QF or UA, or at best, on par.....however, due to the lower cost of living in India, senior pilots are usually a very well off section of society....so, you need to take that into consideration when making such comparisons.....

anonms

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Isn't the cost of living in Singapore lower than it is in the US? I don't understand why people feel the need to compare wages like this, especially when forgetting other factors.
This is my signature.

aerohottie

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:50 pm

Well I wouldn't mind earning over $120,000 a year while only working 15 hours a week. I'll stick to my thoughts prior to reading this thread... "Pilots are overpaid for the job they do, and the market they work in".
What?

Pu752

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:00 pm

Money isn't always the first thing when it comes to do what you love the most, and imagine flying the A380, so I wouldn't mind earning half of SQ salary to fly the A380 Big grin ........ most of the times you say YES to accept a job as an airline pilot before you know how much you're going to be paid.

bucky707

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 6):
The ALPA argument that an A380 is "more responsibility" than a 747 has always struck me as silly.

so, taken to the extreme, I take it you don't think a 747 captain should be paid more than an RJ50 captain?

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 10):
Well I wouldn't mind earning over $120,000 a year while only working 15 hours a week

I've yet to meet the airline pilot who only works 15 hours a week.

qslinger

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, comparatively, Cptn Ting is getting paid more than his counterparts. Cost of living, taxes etc are far less in Singapore than US or maybe Oz. Never the less, I think SQ is right on this one, flying a 380 is no difference than flying other widebodies cos the technology has improved a lot. Now someone flying those older 747's like -100,200,300 should definitly get paid more cos the lack of modern tech in the flight deck...my  twocents 
Raj Koona

2H4

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 4):
you can't gauge the salaries in absolute dollar terms.

Indeed. I'd take the pay cut to work in an airline that will actually avoid bankruptcy and honor retirement benefits...  Wink

I'll stick to my thoughts prior to reading this thread... "Pilots are overpaid for the job they do, and the market they work in"

A wise man once said "Pilots aren't paid what they're worth, they're paid what they negotiate."

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Coal

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Anonms (Reply 9):
Isn't the cost of living in Singapore lower than it is in the US? I don't understand why people feel the need to compare wages like this, especially when forgetting other factors.

Depends what you are comparing. Food can be dirt cheap and you can get a nice local meal at a hawker center for S$5, or you can go to a steak house or italian restaurant and pay S$500. Alcohol and cigarrettes are ridiculously expensive, due to the taxes. As an expat, you cannot live in an HDB (public housing), so be ready to shell out at least S$5,000 per month for rent, S$6,500 if you want a half-decent place located relatively close to the CBD, and about S$8,000 per month if you want a balcony. Oh, and make sure you live close to the office, a supermarket, the shops, and the nightlife, because entry-level cars like the Dodge Caliber (I use this as an example because I recently enquired about the price) is around S$95,000.

Please convert to US$ using US$1 = S$1.45 exchange rate.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

Coal

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 pm

Two other points I forgot to make:

Yes, taxes are much lower in the US, but if you're a US Citizen, you're screwed anyway, since you will have to pay taxes in Singapore and the US. Unless you can cut a deal with the company you work for  devil 

Also, contrary to what most people thing, clothing and electronics are not necessarily cheaper in Singapore compared to the US.

Anyway, continue A380 pay discussion.

Cheers
Coal

Coal

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:29 pm

Sorry, but just thought of one more thing.

Captain Ting, being Singaporean, can live in an HDB flat (public housing - don't sneer, some of them are really nice bldgs!), so he probably saves a lot right there. Not sure if this is the case for some of the pilots that are expats as well.

Cheers
Coal

sstsomeday

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Super Jumbos

Ready for a non-sequitor...?

I cringe when I hear this term.

Did you know that the name "jumbo" was a derogatory term originally coined by the PRESS be because of concerns that the 747 was stubby looking and would cause airport congestion? Boeing and the airlines did not WANT anybody calling it that, but the term stuck, and as the A/C proved itself and opened up flying to the masses, "jumbo jet" became a term of endearment.

For 380 fans to push the term "Super Jumbo" implies "inferiority complex" to me, perhaps because of the 380 delay, and talk of it never being profitable in a niche market etc. etc. All that remains to be seen.

It's a remarkable airplane. But I beg you, let he A/C establish it's territory and let's it's eventual reputation speak for itself. Nick names are not supposed to be effusive; because then they reek of insincerity.

I give you "Mad Dog," "Spruce Goose," "DC-Late," etc.

It's like naming an airport after a president who isn't dead yet... It's pretentious.

Forgive me. Thanks for listening
I come in peace

drerx7

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:39 pm

$130,000USD a year salary is by no means poverty no matter what part of the world you live in.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

earlynff

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:42 pm

"Pilots are overpaid for the job they do, and the market they work in".

Aerohottie, looking at your age, I tell you right away: shut up!
You have not the slightest idea, what kind of hardship longhaul flying can be, I have!
"working", in your meaning, only 35 hours a week would have killed me long before retirement.

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 4):
I know it costs a lot more to live in Sydney than Singapore.

Don´t know about SYD, but living in SIN defininitely is not cheap anymore. Properties, renting or buying, rocket high. Food and all the rest: I am dreaming of the seventies!

Concerning salaries: since 1992, my former employer pays same amount for all pilots, regardless of type flown. Only by the years you can earn more, not by shifting type of aircraft. When 737 Cpt. shifts to 744, same pay!

[Edited 2007-12-18 16:09:54]

[Edited 2007-12-18 16:12:38]

BN747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:06 am

And a EK A380 pilot???

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Tugger

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Bucky707 (Reply 12):
so, taken to the extreme, I take it you don't think a 747 captain should be paid more than an RJ50 captain?

Strangely I think it is more difficult and dangerous to fly the short haul routes than the long haul routes, more points of failure per day as it were.

I've yet to meet the airline pilot who only works 15 hours a week.

Yes, we all know that a pilot must be away from family and home for an extended period of time to work those "15 hours" but then that is precisely why pilots are paid such a high hourly wage, because they work a much greater amount of time than what is booked. Still there is no way to deny that a pilot can earn a very good living once they reach the mainline carriers. The ones to pity really are the guys that have just started or are in the CFI, Charter, Cargo (low end, not mainline), and RJ's. They work the same hours, have worse schedules, and don't earn nearly as much.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting EarlyNFF (Reply 20):
Aerohottie, looking at your age, I tell you right away: shut up!
You have not the slightest idea, what kind of hardship longhaul flying can be, I have!
"working", in your meaning, only 35 hours a week would have killed me long before retirement.

I have to agree

Salary should be a reflection of the level of responsibility and stress that an individual has to endure in their work. Additionally, cost of living, seniority etc will have an impact.

Comparing outside the industry to people with similar levels of responsibility, these figures seem low to me. To be honest, I was under the impression that senior captains of these larger aircraft earn well over US$200K.

If they're on $120K now, what were they on 10 years ago? If we take typical wage inflation it must have only been around $80K?

Tugger

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 am

Another thing to look at, as was noted earlier, is what else do the pilots get paid for?
Meals
Rooms (in hub cities as well?)
Heath insurance
Other stipends
Clothing allowance
Stock options
Profit sharing

And then how fast do they earn vacation days, sick etc. There are so many different options to consider that this conversation is severely limited in looking at just hourly pay.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

earlynff

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 23):
If they're on $120K now, what were they on 10 years ago?

if you take the UA example, they earned much more. Times have changed, chapter 11 took its toll on many major leage players, and in addition, the $ went south. Nowadays € paid crews might be better off, I guess. biggrin 

jetsetter629

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:03 am

I'm sorry but you are comparing apples and oranges...

ikramerica

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:03 am

You said it, not me.

You should be paid for your experience and value. Frankly, I don't see how an RJ50 captain is less valuable than a 747 captain, nor do I think the 747 pilot inherently deserves more money.

Again, is an RJ50 pilot more likely to fly a plane into a mountain for fun because it's smaller? Thus, is he any less responsible for the lives of himself and the passengers and for the well being of the aircraft?

Now, a case can be made that one only entrusts your most expensive equipment to your most trusted employees, but even then, there's a limit to that. It's usually because those trusted employees are most able to handle the equipment. But that isn't the case for the A380, which is so easy to fly, according to Airbus, that an A320 pilot can cross train in a couple days. If it's so easy that all Airbus pilots can do it, why on earth do you get paid more to fly it?

Same goes for the 767 vs. 757, which share a type rating, for example. Or the A330 vs. A346. The whole seniority and aircraft size system at airlines is screwy. If you think your pilots are unsafe, they shouldn't be flying. So that means you must feel all your pilots are safe, so why pay one more money to fly a larger plane or pay them more because they are 59 instead of 39? The only place that makes sense is in a union...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

HPAEAA

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:04 am

I have to agree

Salary should be a reflection of the level of responsibility and stress that an individual has to endure in their work. Additionally, cost of living, seniority etc will have an impact.

Comparing outside the industry to people with similar levels of responsibility, these figures seem low to me. To be honest, I was under the impression that senior captains of these larger aircraft earn well over US$200K.

If they're on $120K now, what were they on 10 years ago? If we take typical wage inflation it must have only been around $80K?

only thing I want to bring up is that the PPP? I suspect Cost of living in Singapore is less than the US (and historically) comparing to US salaries might not be the best option.. also what is their benefit package? I recall an article about EK pilots and their salary was greater there than in the US, but the benefits package made it much more valuable...
Why do I fly???

QantasHeavy

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 am

I think the total annual compensation or MOST airline pilots with major carriers is well above what some of the math suggests here. We have come of the airlines as clients and can assure you the remuneration is considerably higher. A QF F/O on a 744 can be making over $150K USD.

When Delta first acquired 777-200ERs the most senior pilots would be making over $300K USD per year in total compensation (salary, bonus and benefits). They were to be the highest paid captains in the world at that time.

After 9-11, well the payment structures have all been revised at many of the carriers to fend off debt and bancruptcy.

I have many pilot friends in the US and Australia, and the differences between a senior pilot on a new flagship widebody and and a new recruit in a commuter plane is enormous. Some of the AA Eagle guys make a very samll wage compared to the mainline guys... and they work VERY hard... long hours and planes that require a lot more manual focus.

Like any industry though, seniority has experience too... they will get the promotions up to the big toys and get they pay to match. Look at doctors and lawyers... they all start off doing grunt work and have a long hard road before they get to the big bucks.

I have no problem with well-compensated flight and cabin crews, and leave that to being a commercial decision of the airline. If I feel safe/comfortable on the flight and am getting value for money than who cares if the crew up front is making a zillion dollars?

In fact, when I am onboard the person at the helm can be the highest paid person on the planet as far as I am concerned!

anstar

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting QantasHeavy (Reply 29):
In fact, when I am onboard the person at the helm can be the highest paid person on the planet as far as I am concerned!

Unfortunately if that were the case you probably wouldnt be able to afford a seat on that plane...

the higher the slary the higher the ticket cost

QantasHeavy

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:36 am

Yes ANstar, obviously... it was a figure of speech. Refer to me previous comment on value.

aircanada014

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:52 am

I think the base salary for captain a month is a bit more? I saw my dad's pay stub and his monthly base pay before tax taking off is 10,000.00 a month and he's only first officer. Captain has to make way more than just the base salary 10k a month. My dad was looking into working for Japan Airlines doing the SFO to NRT route on B747-400 and the base salary for first officer would have been 15k a month. When Air Canada had B747-400, my dad's salary as First Officer was 160,000.00 a year, he told me the Captain would be making 240,000.00 a year.

Alessandro

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:55 am

So where just talking flying hours, what about the rest are they more workload on a new airliner like the A380, briefings,
eductation and technical output than a proven design like the B744?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

dia77

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:58 am

Singapore Airlines is Asia's most profitable air carrier.....It posted a net profit of (US)$1.7 billion in fiscal year ending March 31, 2007.

SQ is profitable because they are fiscally responsible where they can be. Labor costs (until this past year when oil prices approached $100/barrel) were the most significant cost that most airlines faced. By keeping that in check, SQ can make sure that they remain an elite and profitable airline.

gsosbee

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 16):
Yes, taxes are much lower in the US, but if you're a US Citizen, you're screwed anyway, since you will have to pay taxes in Singapore and the US.

Actually you get an offset on your US taxes for any taxes paid on income earned and paid to another country.

BTCCMan

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:08 am

Honestly, I am almost saddened that an SQ A380 captain earns that little - about the same as the on-target earnings of an average enterprise-software salesperson in the US just three years out of college. There are so many almost worthless jobs by comparison that earn much more... the world just isn't fair!
Yea though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing!

ag92

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:15 am

From what I have heard, including one who wanted to work with the cabin crew, the pay of SQ is very low, My mother's job is such that she has met thousands of Indians, and all those whose husbands are pilots for SQ, always complain how low their salary is, but then that leaves the question - Why Don't they move? Certainly there must be something with SQ which keeps their employees happy enough.

Quoting Coal (Reply 17):
Captain Ting, being Singaporean, can live in an HDB flat (public housing - don't sneer, some of them are really nice bldgs!),

Coal, as far as I am aware, you can only live in HDBs if you earn less than S$7000 for the whole household. I am pretty sure about that because of the complaints being received on how anyone earning like S$8000 who lives in a condominium is having a higher cost of living because of the expensive accommodation rates these days.

Max Q

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:31 am

Ah yes,the voices of ignorance such as 'aerohottie' and others always have to chime in !

I don't know many pilots that fly 15 hours a week but if there are any out there with such an eviable schedule, good luck to them. I have no doubt they deserve their pay more than yours 'AH'

Of course you are fully aware of the sacrifices they had to make and the relentless scrutiny they are under to merely stay in their position.

I wonder if it ever occured to you that there single minded dedication to their profession is all that keeps your little pink body safe and cared for as you wander the world in your oblivion ?

[Edited 2007-12-18 19:44:02]
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

PhilSquares

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:53 am

Ever wondered what a Captain flying the world's largest passenger aircraft gets paid ??? Well, I just happen to have the answer to share with you. After two hours of researching, compiling, re-calculating and 3 cups of coffee later, I came up with these figures...."I was disappointed....expected a lot more"!

Your numbers and analysis are wrong! I don't kiss and tell but rest assured they are incorrect.
Fly fast, live slow

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 39):
I don't kiss and tell but rest assured they are incorrect.

??

Have you been sleeping with an A380 captain?

futurecaptain

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 21):
And a EK A380 pilot???

EK it seems pays salary plus flight time.

A 10 year captain on EK gets about $2900 USD per month plus $12.22 per flight hour according to airline pilot central. So, working 70 hours per month a 10 year captain only makes about $45K USD.
Is this perhaps the lowest paying airline in the industry for long haul??
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Pellegrine

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 27):

You should be paid for your experience and value. Frankly, I don't see how an RJ50 captain is less valuable than a 747 captain, nor do I think the 747 pilot inherently deserves more money.

Your argument is absolutely ludicrous, but as you say yourself, "you should be paid for your experience and value."

In many large companies salaried employees are paid (or should be) based on what they bring to the table, value you could say. The monetary worth of what a 744 captain brings to the table is much more than a CRJ captain, since a 747-400 flight brings in more revenue, much more revenue. This is also why the executives get paid $$$$$ (and people complain because of.....?), and on Wall St., performance-based end-of-year bonuses can be 6-7-8-even 9 figures.
oh boy, here we go!!!

ChiefSkyHorse

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:27 am

Singapore Airlines is about the Cheapest pay scale around for a pilot. I think you got the Sinapore dollar mixed up with the US Dollar, Cost of living very high, I know as I worked for them. They used to charge their Foreign Captains $50,000 for a job, all training costs paid by the new Captain, and they made a great profit on it.

docpepz

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:50 am

Please note that SIA regularly pays out huge bonuses year after year. For FY 2006/2007, SIA paid out a 6-month bonus to all staff. Excluding the 13th month of pay that most Singaporean companies pay, all SIA employees, including pilots, earned 19 months of pay in 2007.

That puts the 744 base salary at what, S$190,000 or US$131,000? We haven't even factored in the allowances the per hour rate.

The following article might clear things up a bit: (Tax on S$270 000 is about S$30,000, or 11% of total pay)
=============================================================

Boeing 777 captains get higher pay than SIA vice-presidents
Karamjit Kaur, Aviation Correspondent
665 words
24 April 2007
Straits Times
English
(c) 2007 Singapore Press Holdings Limited
Details of airline's salary structure revealed on first day of hearing to settle pay dispute with pilots' union

A SINGAPORE Airlines Boeing 777 captain at the mid-point of his salary bracket makes more than $270,000 a year.

This makes him a bigger earner than a vice-president of the company, who makes $233,270.

SIA has 935 B777 captains and just 36 vice-presidents.

Details of the airline's pay structure for pilots and other staff came to light yesterday, Day 1 of the Industrial Arbitration Court (IAC) hearing to settle a dispute with its pilots' union over salary and benefits.

The pilots have been pushing for higher wages to be paid to those who will be in the cockpit of the Airbus 380 superjumbo, which enters into service later this year.

The High Court hearing follows more than a year of wrangling, during which the two sides met 16 times.

For over two hours yesterday, SIA divisional vice-president for industrial relations Loh Oun Hean, and Captain Robert Ting, vice-president of the Flight Operations Division and chief pilot for the A380, told the court why pilots should not be paid more to fly the A380.

The airline is proposing that A380 and B777 pilots get the same pay; it intends eventually to pay all pilots a common basic salary, regardless of the aircraft type they fly.

The Air Line Pilots Association-Singapore (Alpa-S) argues that A380 pilots should be paid more than those who fly the Boeing 747 jumbo because the new plane is bigger.

Each of SIA's A380s will seat around 480 passengers, about 100 more than the Boeing 747 jumbo now in service.

The airline, in presenting its case to the three-member IAC panel led by IAC president, Justice Tan Lee Meng, said that between 55 and 60 per cent of a pilot's basic pay now depends on the type of aircraft he handles.

For all other payments, including bonuses and productivity allowances, the distinction is between captains and first officers - not type of plane flown.
For instance, a captain makes $55 an hour for the first 70 hours, and a first officer, $36.

Turning to the technical specifications of the A380 and comparing it with other planes in SIA's present and future fleet, Capt Ting told the courtroom packed with more than 60 staff and union members that the truth was that the A380 was really not that difficult to fly.

A pilot for 36 years who test-flew the A380 when it visited Singapore last year, he said the side stick controllers were light and easy to operate.
'I just flew it with my finger tips,' he said.

Although the A380 is heavier, has a taller tail and longer wingspan compared to other jets, technology and automation erased the impact of this added bulk on piloting.

Capt Ting said the plane's operational scope was 'no more complex than the current and future fleets of SIA'.

Because modern aircraft have similar instrument layouts - especially those built by the same manufacturer - an Airbus 345 pilot, for example, would feel 'instantly at home' in an A380 cockpit.

Capt Ting declared that, with the exception of the B747 jet designed more than 30 years ago, there was really no big difference between flying the A380 and any other modern jet.

He noted that the A380, with its four engines, should also be less stressful to fly than, say, a twin-engined B777, which would lose up to half its thrust during take-off if one engine failed.

He also stressed that a pilot's responsibility did not change with the aircraft type he flew: A captain flying a small single-aisle plane still had to go through the same pre-flight and systems checks.

The hearing continues with Alpa-S presenting its case today.

PhilSquares

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:51 am

SQ's pay is composed of several components.

First you have your salary, that is a fixed amount and if you don't turn a wheel you get that. Secondly there are variable allowances, such as flight pay, over-night allowances. If you're an expat you get a housing allowance and educational allowance. You also get a 13th month pay which is your salary and you get profit sharing and finally you get stock options. I will say it's more than everyone is throwing about.

Quoting ChiefSkyHorse (Reply 43):
Singapore Airlines is about the Cheapest pay scale around for a pilot.

Completely untrue! You don't have a clue what you're talking about!
Fly fast, live slow

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 41):
A 10 year captain on EK gets about $2900 USD per month plus $12.22 per flight hour according to airline pilot central. So, working 70 hours per month a 10 year captain only makes about $45K USD.
Is this perhaps the lowest paying airline in the industry for long haul??

This can't be right. Seems almost impossible.

Quoting DocPepz (Reply 44):
a vice-president of the company, who makes $233,270.

This also seems low, for one of the most profitable airlines in the world

QantasHeavy

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:22 am

I don't think you are going to find a 777 captain flying for a big carrier making under $100K US (or anywhere near that). There are base salaries, hourly pay, bonuses, etc.

Emirates flight attendants could make almost $45K with bonuses, allowances, housing etc... not to mention the tax effect of living in Dubai. Doubt a 777 captain with 10 years makes $45K. He could walk into a job anywhere else and triple that just in base.

SuseJ772

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:38 am

People, people, people. Economics 101. Salary is based on how easy it is to replace you. Plane (ha!) and simple. Stress. Level of responsibility. Etc... has little to do with it. It is why pilots make more than F/A, and F/A makes more than ground ops. It applies outside as well. It is why Attorneys make more than Para-legals. And para-legals make more than secretaries. That's capitalisms for you.

[Edited 2007-12-18 22:43:06]
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

SuseJ772

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 39):

Your numbers and analysis are wrong! I don't kiss and tell but rest assured they are incorrect.

Come on, Phil, will you just tell me  wink 

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 40):

Have you been sleeping with an A380 captain?

Umm...I am going to assume you don't read Tech/Ops very much. Phil is a captain of a very large jumbo airplane himself, that would know a thing or two about SQ's pay rate. So to answer your question, yes, yes he does sleep with someone who would know a lot about it: himself.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>