DeltaWings
Topic Author

What Is A Diploma In Civil Aviation?

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi

I read somewhere that a pilot has a diploma in civil aviation. I was just wondering what that exactly is and what this can be useful for.

Thanks for any help.
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

fanfan

RE: What Is A Diploma In Civil Aviation?

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:30 pm

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks for that site, I assume that is something similar to a „diploma in aviation“, where a PPL is a prerequisite.

G4LASRamper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:24 am

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University offers a BS degree program in "Professional Aeronautics." The course of study gives one an introduction to many facets of aviation as a career. At the time I went through that program it was geared towards pilots that already had some professional flying and college experience but had not yet completed a degree.

To enter the program at that time (1991), one had to already have an associate degree, commercial pilot certificate, and so many hours of professional flying experience. At the time I an AAS, commercial/instrument/multi, and about 350 hours of FAR 135 flying time (out of about 1500 total) - that program fit me perfectly. Basically, the professional flight time became all of my upper-division elective credits, and the AAS transferred in almost completely as my lower-division credits. That left just a couple of lower-division make-up courses and my senior year to complete.

As an example, here's some of the courses I took at ERAU:

Current Issues in America
Aviation Law
Aircraft Accident Investigation
Technical Writing
Principles of Air Traffic Control
Directed Study - A course consisting of four research papers on various aviation-related topics. Put this course together with a professor so I could graduate that spring instead of having to wait until fall.

The school I used to teach at offers a pilot-oriented AAS degree in Aviation Technology which transfers quite well to upper-division programs like this. In addition to the core technical courses like PPL, Instrument, and CPL, some of the other courses offered include:

Aviation Weather
Air Transportation
Aerodynamics
Human Factors
Crew Resource Management

I think these are great study programs to pursue if a pilot career is the goal. And they were a lot of fun, both as a student and instructor!
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig." - Porco Rosso

DeltaWings
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes, that’s more something I was looking for. Thanks for that information.
Is there an equivalent university in Europe somewhere, as this would be somewhat better for me.

DW