eajpecrca

BA Muffin "theft" Results In Suspension

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm

A BA steward was appparently hungry and ate a muffin that would have been discarded. He was accused of theft. This instance is a bit over the top as presented, but it made me think about the issue of employee accountability. I'm sure there is more to this story than shows up in the article.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...+passenger's+meal+tray/article.do

The article raises some questions for me. I used to work as a manager in a supermarket. Shoplifting was always a problem, of course, but I had to watch the employees too! How strict are airlines with regard to inventory of goods on their planes? I can imagine low paid FA's considering pocketing a soda or some wine. How often do such thefts occur? How do employers react to such pilfering?

airfoilsguy

RE: BA Muffin "theft" Results In Suspension

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:57 pm

A BA spokesman said: "It is half-baked to suggest we are suspending someone over a muffin. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

In other words there is more to this story then meets the eye.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

OA260

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting Eajpecrca (Thread starter):
A BA steward was appparently hungry and ate a muffin that would have been discarded. He was accused of theft.

Just shows how BA has gone to the dogs with all this PC Cr@p. First you cant wear a cross and now they think so little of their employees that a muffin that is being thrown away cant be eaten by their own staff!!!!

Maybe time to walk off the job and put manners on BA management . Im not in favor of strikes normally but BA would be asking for it of they got one !!!

futurecaptain

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:59 pm

So, a muffin destined for the trash anyway, then eaten by an employee, is theft? That is one of the strictest policies I've ever heard. If something is going in the trash anyway I say let the employee eat it.
I think it would be different with alcohol or goods that can be kept and used on the next flight, but food gets put in thr trash so why cant an employee eat a leftover muffin?

Perhaps the employee will make this a big story about how they have to eat leftovers because BA doesn't pay well enough to feed their employees so airline food on flights is all there is to eat all week. blah blah blah.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

ikramerica

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 pm

Most companies allow employees to take "discards" of various kinds. Assuming this was a discard, seems over the top. But maybe this particular fellow has a history of issues? Do we know?

After all, there are always headlines like: 'man gets life in prison for stealing pizza.' (true story) When the story is actually told, the man has 20 convictions for theft, assault, manslaughter, etc. over 20 years (which means 100's more he wasn't caught for) and this 'pizza theft' was the last straw, a violation of clear probation rules laid out to him where he was told "it's your last chance" and the guy still stole the pizza.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

blueflyer

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
In other words there is more to this story then meets the eye.

A BA steward was appparently hungry and ate a muffin that would have been discarded

No one will ever get fired just for eating a muffin. Either a large part of the story is missing, or this particular steward was at the end of a long line of screw-ups that had earned him a spot on the "fire as soon as possible" list, and the muffin was the proverbial drop in the bucket that BA needed.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

BA787

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

There must be more to the story than that, I can't see BA making a fuss over a muffin. They aren't stupid at BA and must know something so insignificant would be bad press.

BA787

PanAm747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:49 pm

Does anyone remember a news program that would have been from the 1980's on a TWA flight attendant who was fired for drinking a milk that was going to be discarded?

As I recall, it was a flight to Paris, and at the end of the flight, the f/a drank that milk. Someone from "higher up" (whose sole job was, I'm sure, to nitpick and micro-manage employees and destroy all signs of morale) had her arrested for "stealing company property" and had her fired.

The program was something like 20/20, or Dateline, or another one of those shows. She went on the air and pointed out that the milk was going to be thrown away anyway, and she did account for the carton.

Keep in mind, this was the Draconian era of Carl Icahn, so I wouldn't doubt it at all.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

sh0rtybr0wn

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:58 pm

This can't be true.... its too stupid to be true.

BA must provide food for FAs anyway, so why are they making a big deal over a muffin wirth less than a pound ?

Even if he ate a 2 from the galley, so what?

Let them eat.

Do FAs from the US and other countries get free food? They dont brown bag it do they ?

bmiexpat

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:06 pm

It might seem harsh but at the end of the day misappropriation of company property is theft, whether we are talking a muffin from the inflight service or cash from the ticket desk. The company has duty to investigate all instances and deal with each case in a consistent manner to ensure that all employees are treated in a fair way. If indeed he ends up being fired simply for stealing a muffin, then it would be an over reaction, but we do not know if he is already on a final warning for other offences and therefore a sacking would be justified.

To be honest though, the article can't seem to make up it's mind whether he is suspended... first it says he has been, and then at the end it says that BA denies that he has been suspended???? The article is a lot of hot air with nothing to back it up so I don't know what all the fuss on here is about!

FLYACYYZ

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 8):
This can't be true.... its too stupid to be true.

I totally believe this. Despite being perishable, it is a so-called inventoried item. I would expect this action to be taken by a North American carrier, but obviously the mentality has crossed the Atlantic. In this day and age, I wouldn't remove a pen from the aircraft.
Above and Beyond

varig md-11

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
muffin that is being thrown away cant be eaten by their own staff!!!!

this policy applies also to some fast food chains btw, as well as to supermarket chains which prefer to throw away goods than making its low wage employees a "gift"

anyway, I assume BA took the "opportunity" that this particular FA was taken red handed eating a muffin to fire him because he was on the H.R. radar for a while already...old trick: it's like Al Capone falling for tax evasion
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

B767300ER

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:40 pm

There are several points that are not addressed in this report. First there are crew meals aboard aircraft. Second for health
reasons why would anyone take any food item from a tray that had been distributed to a passenger. On any airline
that I worked for crew could avail themselves of any water or soft drinks. Only wine and liquor is inventoried and it
would inappropriate for crew to "drink" while on duty. I've worked for TWA, LH and DL. There is much more to this
story than we are being told. Dont jump to any conclusions, yet.

MEA-707

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 pm

A friend of mine used to clean Martinair aircraft about 15 years ago. He took his own can of coca cola along with him to drink on the sweaty afternoon. Suddenly Martin Schröder, then founder of Martinair ran up the stairs of his DC-10 and screamed at the cleaning friend: "If this is a can of coke from the pantry, I'll take care this will be your last coke you ever drank at this premises!" He only cooled off later when he found out a different brand was catered.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

GT4EZY

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:22 pm

On complimentary service, crew can normally have whatever is left. If it is a BOB service then fair enough I guess but it does seem a little heavy handed.

I can imagine low paid FA's considering pocketing a soda or some wine. How often do such thefts occur? How do employers react to such pilfering?

Just because someone is on low pay does not mean they are going to go stealing. I'm sure many people would find this assumption offensive. Besides, this is Europe and some BA crew are on considerably good salaries.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

davescj

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Just shows how BA has gone to the dogs with all this PC Cr@p. First you cant wear a cross

You're kidding? Why not? Are all religous items banned? I know in the US at least many FAs wear a cross or other item of religious jewelery (Star of David for example).

Do FAs from the US and other countries get free food? They dont brown bag it do they ?

I think it depends on the routes. I think it was here on A.net in the TR section one pilot said on the route he was flying that day, no food was provided to crew.

Quoting Bmiexpat (Reply 9):
It might seem harsh but at the end of the day misappropriation of company property is theft,

If an item has been expensed off, as in food since it can't be given out again, and no pax wanted it, it isn't theft. Especially if it is half eaten.

Know sanitary issues do make me wonder.

I believe it was on www.alrlinemeals.net that some crew meals were shown. If they are still accurate as to what is given, I don't know.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

sfoqqaa

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:37 pm

I'd be curious as to who turned him in and how management found out.
 boggled 

mauiman31

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:45 pm

I was an FA for a few years in the late 70's, so obviously, mine is not recent experience. In my flying days when -- we served full meals on the majority of flights -- lots of extra food was around. The liquor was strictly inventoried, of course. But, if someone ate something left over, in the galley, out of sight of the pax. Not an issue. "By the Book" - one was supposed to stick with crew meals provided. I will say that after the TWA FA strike in 80's - a senior FA and union activist was fired by the company for taking a couple of cartons of milk in her bag after a long haul flight. She was hungry and hadn't had a chance to eat anything for hours. It got a lot of press -- 60 Minutes did a story. She claimed retaliation because of her strike work -- TW said theft. As I recall TW won out.

GDB

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:56 pm

First, here we go again, quoting a UK tabloid, never a good idea if you want accuracy and context, this particular one is owned by a group whose main rag has a visceral hatred for BA (some execs probably once didn't get an upgrade to First on a Club ticket maybe), really, you might as well ask David Irving about Nazi Germany.

However, the rules here are quite clear, on staff taking food/drink items.
BA may feel it starts with food, ends up with booze, where there was once a lot of the latter going on.
But I agree, there is likely a lot more to this, don't expect any kind of accuracy from these sorts of sources though.

pacifique75

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:23 pm

I have a friend who flies for BA and I remember her mentioning once that onboard you can have whatever food/trays
are left after the service is done... However, you are not allowed to take home/off the aircraft any food!
Whilst I agree that being suspended for a muffin is just ridiculous, I feel there is more to this story
 Confused

Skidmarque

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
A BA spokesman said: "It is half-baked to suggest we are suspending someone over a muffin. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

I think we're missing the real story here. BA serves half cooked muffins !?!?!?!?!?
DUCK !

FURUREFA

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:41 pm

At American, F/As don't get crew meals under a certain time threshold (8 hour blocktime?), but eat whatever leftovers there are from PAX (sometimes nothing, sometimes a lot) and it's not frowned upon, but encouraged.

Matt

jasp25

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Varig md-11 (Reply 12):
this policy applies also to some fast food chains btw, as well as to supermarket chains which prefer to throw away goods than making its low wage employees a "gift"

Supermarket chains throw foods away so employees can't have free lunch and to make their employees buy their own foods. It doesn't make sense that an airline would do the same because they don't make money from selling foods.

-jasp
-peace and chicken grease!

MEA-707

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 23):
Supermarket chains throw foods away so employees can't have free lunch

and also to discourage employees to 'accidentally damage' a pack of things they fancy so they can take it after it's been withdrawn from sale.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

star_world

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:44 pm

I can't believe that the vast majority of the people responding to this ridiculous story from a tabloid newspaper are taking it seriously, and are getting angry to such an extent. Did any of those people actually READ the story? Or just see the title, say "that's outrageous" and post away? Did the "half-baked" quote not ring any alarm bells that this story may not quite be what it seems? (does that phrase work west of the Atlantic? I'm not sure I've heard it there)....

Rest assured that BA is not suspending anyone for eating a leftover muffin. End of story, until some sort of report with actual facts in it is released  Smile

hotelmode

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm

Just read an internal memo about this. Apparantly Police and Customs have been doing a bit of a purge on inbound crews for theft and bringing in more than customs allowances. Not just BA but all airlines. Needless to say there were a few transgressors some were suspended and some arrested but the Muffin story is rubbish.

Although all airline food from outside the EU has to be buried in deep landfill and it is illegal to take it off the plane so it is possible that customs gave someone a warning about this. It certainly wasnt BA.

AJMIA

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 5):
No one will ever get fired just for eating a muffin. Either a large part of the story is missing, or this particular steward was at the end of a long line of screw-ups that had earned him a spot on the "fire as soon as possible" list, and the muffin was the proverbial drop in the bucket that BA needed.

I remember the incident where some AA ground employees were suspended for eating salad and half melted ice cream out of the galley of an inbound flight that had just landed from Europe.

Or how about the 79 year old PSR (passenger service rep who stands at the front and directs passengers to the proper line) who was written up because she had too many buttons (gifts from passengers) on her uniform. With a personnel file full of glowing letters and an amazing work ethic, she decided it was time to retire after she was reprimanded for her buttons.

When management goes after employees for senseless stuff like this it reminds me of the saying "Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic."

In situations like this I can draw one of four possible conclusions...
1. This is an employee that management wants to get rid of for some reason (justifiable or not) and they will write them up for anything they can to get them out the door.
or
2. The manager who made an issue of this is on a massive ego power trip.
or
3. There are waaayy too many managers who are trying to keep themselves busy.
or
4. It is easier for managers to deal with these petty issues then to confront the real problems that the airlines face every day.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

etfokker50

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 am

I worked at a supermarket for a while and the first thing that the new employees were told on theft was that 60% of it was by employees. The supermarket also had policies that everything had to be trashed, even if written off and everything. Why? So that you don't have to be accountable towards shoppers, but also other employees...

Blr2Syr

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:53 am

What the Crap !!!!! I dont believe the senior mgmt at BA are so jobless to fire someone for a muffin. Rest assured they are loosing my biz as far as i can help it. I hate to do give my 2 cents with firms which care a penny for their employees. It is ridiculosly in-human. I think a lot of modern day firms exploit their blue collar workers to the tilt while the fat ass bosses love to live the high life. If i were a boss I would have fired the person who took the decision to micro manage the F/A. Are these the big issues they need to look into ?

A lesson in management- I used to work part time for an office where my boss was nothing short of a dictator - .Needless to say it was an un easy relationship. I hated her .My next job happened to be with the best person I have worked for. The nicest person who always understood and explained any issue with care.When I left, I helped find him the right replacement, train the next person for free and made a friend for life.

AJMIA

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Blr2Syr (Reply 29):
A lesson in management- I used to work part time for an office where my boss was nothing short of a dictator - .Needless to say it was an un easy relationship. I hated her .My next job happened to be with the best person I have worked for. The nicest person who always understood and explained any issue with care.When I left, I helped find him the right replacement, train the next person for free and made a friend for life.

What goes around comes around...

More important than the issue that BA is having with this one individual is...
The effect on morale this will have on BA staff around the globe.
The feeding frenzy the British Tabloids will have.
And the reaction their customers will have.

No good can come from it.

If I were BA I would smooth this over ASAP.

AJMIA

NorthstarBoy

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:21 am

I think it's not the "theft" itself that's the issue, it's the appearance of unprofessionalism that probably resulted in the suspension. I'll be the first to admit i don't know how BA works in terms of tray collection, since i've never flown them, but on every US carrier i've been on that's served meals, they pick up the tray, dump the contents into the trash and stow the tray in the cart. So, imagine how it would look to the passenger to see a crew member picking up something off of a used tray and putting in their pocket. Some passengers may not care, but others will notice and may well say something about it as they deplane, maybe even in jest like "ay, you need to give your staff better meals, so they stop trying to eat ours!" On the obverse, if the FA in question reached into the trash later and plucked the item out, that's a health and safety issue. While i think BA was probably a bit heavy handed in handing out a suspension, vs a verbal warning, i think the FA was also wrong to do it in the first place. I'm guessing that FA won't do it again, now that he knows that the rules will be strictly enforced.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

AC772

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:59 am

Even though I wouldn't eat it after someone had touched it,
I would have asked first. It's only a muffin for crying out loud!
AC772  biting 

AR385

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:03 am

I don't see anything ambigous about the article. I'm not familiar with the publication but it's pretty clear on what it says. A British Aiways FA has been suspended for eating a muffin destined for the trash bin.

This is a dumb business move on the part of BA, not only because of the bad publicity, but I wonder: How much does it cost a legacy, top notch carrier like BA to train a person to the high standards of a BA flight attendant? All that investment and expense to just get rid of that person because of said muffin? Plus the required expenditures on getting a new person to fill up that position. Or what? Are flight attendants a dime a dozen?

Strange situation. I would expect it on some Mide-East carriers but not on BA.

ikramerica

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 23):
Supermarket chains throw foods away so employees can't have free lunch and to make their employees buy their own foods.

They also throw food away because it's past it's shelf life. They don't generally throw out items that are fit for sale. So if an employee eats it, and gets sick, who they gonna sue? Or at the least, who's going to have to pay for their recuperation time...

Wolborsk

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:46 am

I can't be sure whose side to take on this issue. Though the food is all inventoried, I can't understand why everybody is up in knots about a muffin. The tone of the article leads me to believe that there will be a strike at some point in time by the BA flight crew. There must either be:
a)more to the article than is put, or
b)BA is a very strict employer, and has a low tolerance level.
I would much like to go with point a, but if events such as this continue to occur, I would be forced to believe point b.

wukka

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:41 am

It's interesting to see the diametrically opposed arguments here on a.net; particularly in this thread and the WN flight attendant "gay bashing" thread.

Both arguments are nothing but hearsay, and all fueled by sympathy about who knows best. Seriously... open them both up, read them, and look at some of the hypocrisy about judging before knowing all the facts and whatnot.

Dollars to donuts (or muffins), most of these responses in both threads are purely snap judgments based in raw emotion and not actual thought because it's not the way you "feel" right now.
We can agree to disagree.

Boeingluvr

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Just shows how BA has gone to the dogs with all this PC Cr@p. First you cant wear a cross and now they think so little of their employees that a muffin that is being thrown away cant be eaten by their own staff!!!!

Maybe time to walk off the job and put manners on BA management . Im not in favor of strikes normally but BA would be asking for it of they got one !!!

Many airlines have made similar rules regarding the wearing of religous artifacts or symbols on ones person or especially on a chain. Not just BA. And seeing the amount of responses of those discusted, I'm not saying that I think it's right or wrong, just pointing out that a BA spokesperson did say "to assume it would be because of a single muffin is half baked", I think there must be more than meets the eye. Perhaps there is a large problem with theft of property or/and food on BA flights and this is merley an example to put forward that they wont stand for it. Also, there could be a past with this employee and there is much more to his past with similar circumstances. It's hard to say that they're getting too strict.

Also to ad, I worked in the restaurant business years ago and was once threatened to be fired because I ate food that was a wrong order and was otherwise going to be thrown out. It's not just BA in the circumstance.

bmiexpat

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:37 am

What the Crap !!!!! I dont believe the senior mgmt at BA are so jobless to fire someone for a muffin. Rest assured they are loosing my biz as far as i can help it. I hate to do give my 2 cents with firms which care a penny for their employees. It is ridiculosly in-human.

You, along with other posters on here, seriously need to get some perspective on this! The FA was not fired, only alledgedly suspended pending investigation... the normal process when a staff member is accused of theft! The article even quotes a BA spokesperson saying that they have not suspended an FA for eating a muffin so there is obviously more to this!

I'm all for people expressing an opinion, but saying that you will no longer fly BA on the basis of this article a pretty ridiculous over reaction!

hotelmode

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:50 am

Is anyone actually reading this thread??? Or just jumping in with opinions from the headline?

Nobody has been suspended as a result of stealing a muffin.

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:00 pm

I beleive it was 3 or 4 flight attendants on an AA international trip into MIA, went through customs, customs dug through their bags, found AA "food Stuff' and water bottles, Customs called corporate security and the FA's fired/suspended.

A pilot 2 weeks ago on AA had put a can of beer into his luggage, after his flight for his layover in CDG. He forgot to take it out, arrived in A US City, and low and behold the beer was in his bag still. Didn't claim it, took beer, pilot is on suspension.

This stuff happens all the time folks, AA seems to be the biggest looser in using this type of crap right before Contract times....Good Old AA. When I see and hear things like this happening, it reminds of Crandell and the other looser running Virgin.

sh0rtybr0wn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 40):
and the other looser running Virgin.

If you're calling Branson a "loser", it's best to spell loser correctly, its a better insult that way.

And I cant believe those AA FAs to MIA got fired / suspended for taking food. Isnt it more expensive to train people and deal with the high turnover rates instead of providing food for your employees? It IS airline food after all : mass produced and cheap. I think AA should just encourage their personnel to eat whats left over. Firing over a bag of cookies seems penny-wise and pound foolish.

Blr2Syr

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Quoting Bmiexpat (Reply 38):
I'm all for people expressing an opinion, but saying that you will no longer fly BA on the basis of this article a pretty ridiculous over reaction!

Well I didnt mean so seriously..... But then I hope let there be more to this than what is said !

My real point is should BA look into such minor issues or take note of such minor violations ? Its really unfair to notice what employees do at microscopic levels. Firms like google pride themselves how well they take care of the employees.

All i wish is some good care from the top guys for the crew who are the real face of the airline a passenger interacts with.

AJMIA

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 41):
It IS airline food after all : mass produced and cheap. I think AA should just encourage their personnel to eat whats left over. Firing over a bag of cookies seems penny-wise and pound foolish.

We just waste so much that other people could use.

I remember being on a flight (not sure of the airline) where the uneaten prepackaged food items were collected for by the flight attendants for Second Harvest or something like that. It made me feel good seeing these items being put to use.

AJMIA

star_world

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:42 pm

What the Crap !!!!! I dont believe the senior mgmt at BA are so jobless to fire someone for a muffin. Rest assured they are loosing my biz as far as i can help it. I hate to do give my 2 cents with firms which care a penny for their employees. It is ridiculosly in-human.

??? I'd hate to see how you deal with a serious issue!  Confused  Confused  Confused

Quoting AC772 (Reply 32):
Even though I wouldn't eat it after someone had touched it,
I would have asked first. It's only a muffin for crying out loud!

Read the article. Nobody has been suspended for eating a muffin

Quoting AR385 (Reply 33):
Strange situation. I would expect it on some Mide-East carriers but not on BA.

What on earth is this meant to mean???  Confused  Confused

Quoting Bmiexpat (Reply 38):
You, along with other posters on here, seriously need to get some perspective on this! The FA was not fired, only alledgedly suspended pending investigation... the normal process when a staff member is accused of theft! The article even quotes a BA spokesperson saying that they have not suspended an FA for eating a muffin so there is obviously more to this!

bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

Quoting Hotelmode (Reply 39):
Is anyone actually reading this thread??? Or just jumping in with opinions from the headline?

Nobody has been suspended as a result of stealing a muffin.

bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

ACdreamliner

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

If someone can get suspended for wearing a necklace, surly eating a muffin will be punishable by... death? good god, BA don't half know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill...
Where are you going?

LHRSpotter

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
Does anyone remember a news program that would have been from the 1980's on a TWA flight attendant who was fired for drinking a milk that was going to be discarded?

As I recall, it was a flight to Paris, and at the end of the flight, the f/a drank that milk. Someone from "higher up" (whose sole job was, I'm sure, to nitpick and micro-manage employees and destroy all signs of morale) had her arrested for "stealing company property" and had her fired.

I know it's a bad joke but if she was on regular duty on the JFK - CDG flights and planned on a long carrer with TWA, this little carton of milk probably saved her life...

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 40):
and the other looser running Virgin.

Branson is not a looser, attacking my spelling is a true looser. Im at work, apologies for the error. I WAS REFERRING TO DON CARTY.

bmiexpat

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting ACdreamliner (Reply 45):
If someone can get suspended for wearing a necklace, surly eating a muffin will be punishable by... death? good god, BA don't half know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill...

... and there was also a lot more to the necklace issue than "BA suspend staff member for wearing cross necklace". I rather think it's outside observers who do not know all the facts over reacting!

ikramerica

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting Bmiexpat (Reply 48):
... and there was also a lot more to the necklace issue than "BA suspend staff member for wearing cross necklace". I rather think it's outside observers who do not know all the facts over reacting!

It's more the newspaper misleading the public to get the desired "big business is evil" reaction.

It's like saying: "man shot to death for holding a gun." The rest of the story may be: "man shoots 17 people, points gun at police and is shot." but if you just tell the details of the very end of the story, most stories seem out of hand. it's called context.

Doctor: "He was in intensive care for six weeks!"
Fletch: "Yeah, but the very end, when he actually died, it was extremely sudden."

bmiexpat

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 49):
It's more the newspaper misleading the public to get the desired "big business is evil" reaction.

I completely agree. But I love the way some forum members are so self righteous that they jump to such conclusions, that BA is such a horrible employer, on the basis of a single unsubstantiated news report, rather than engage in a sensible discussion about airline disciplinary procedures, which is what this issue is about.