chase

Donating FF Miles To Charity (+ Resets Clock!)

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Like a lot of people, my United Mileage Plus miles are set to expire at the end of this month. I was looking for a cheap way to generate "account activity" in order to reset the clock, and found out that it is possible to donate Mileage Plus miles to charity. A little googling for "donate frequent flyer miles" led me to discover that many other airlines offer similar programs.

I'm sure many of you already knew this, but I thought I'd post about it in case there are any other a.netters like me who didn't know this. Seems like a great way to help someone else out, and maybe help yourself out by delaying expiration of any remaining miles in your account that you don't donate.

Here are links to donation programs for some airlines:

United (only one charity available online, can donate to others via phone)

US Airways

Northwest

1-800-421-0600 - American

Delta

AirTran (log in and click "Request Rewards" tab)

hawaiian717

RE: Donating FF Miles To Charity (+ Resets Clock!)

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:16 am

If you go to the "online shopping mall" offered by several frequent flyer programs, one of the participants is often the iTunes store. Buy a song or two for 99 cents each, earn two miles per dollar, and get your activity to keep the miles.

Though I don't know if they'll post fast enough for those who have miles expiring at the end of this month.

KarlB737

RE: Donating FF Miles To Charity (+ Resets Clock!)

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:02 pm

It is my understanding that some way or another you can donate miles to the armed services for our soldiers to get home etc., for the holidays. At least I had heard that last year or the year before.