billaskier

"Woman Says She Sat In Urine-Soaked Airplane Seat"

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:16 am

I did a search and this wasn't already posted.

Pretty GROSS if you ask me...

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14893222/detail.html

[Edited 2007-12-19 19:33:01]

BAKJet

RE: "Woman Says She Sat In Urine-Soaked Airplane Seat"

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:30 am

That is pretty disgusting.

BTW-

Quoting Billaskier (Thread starter):
I did a search and didn't come across this...

you didn't come across this?  Confused

billaskier

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 am

Sorry, BAKjet...I re-wrote opening...should make more sense.

Adman737

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 am

Damn that is nasty they should of done something right then and there. I would barf all over the cabin. Give her some money and let her buy some clothes. Change the seat cover if they knew someone had pissed on it. That is very careless of the airline. I work with handicap kids and i would never let a child walk around with piss in his pants or poop in his pants no matter how nasty it is to change a handicap child. Be more responsible come on ppl we live in a country that health is everything we want. We dont want to catch something someone else has from there pee. I want to barf right now. I cant believe a F/A would do that just leave it there and then say oh someone peed on that seat. Oh yeah thanks for telling me I payed $350 for a seat with pee thank you. Next time crap on it and I will pay more.

pilotboi

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 am

Wow - bad FL. The seat should have been changed or something done with it before letting the next flight board. The F/A obviously knew about it - so you don't just say "oh well, maybe the next person won't notice". Just plain disgusting, disrespectful to your passengers, and poor customer service.

KingAir200

RE: "Woman Says She Sat In Urine-Soaked Airplane S

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 am

I have seen this before, and if the inbound crew knew of the problem, they should have informed agents when they arrived in FL. Then, the seat cushion could have been replaced. If that wasn't possible, the agent should have blocked the seat on the outbound to BOS

Quote:
When the flight arrived in Boston, airliner personnel said the could not get her luggage.

Checked luggage can only be delivered to luggage claim due to the items that can be placed in checked luggage that are not allowed inside the secure area. That is not a FL regulation, it is a FAA/TSA thing. There is nothing FL could have done for her in that respect.

eghansen

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting Adman737 (Reply 3):
Damn that is nasty they should of done something right then and there

Quoting Adman737 (Reply 3):
Change the seat cover if they knew someone had pissed on it.

They can't often change the seat cover. Seat covers are not usually stocked at out stations. What the flight attendant is supposed to do is record the problem in the maintenance log and notify ops when the flight lands. The operations department will go into the computer system and block the seat so it cannot be assigned with a boarding pass. The pilot can do this too, and as he often has more clout than a flight attendant, it will get done.

In-op seats are very common and it is not always something as gross as urine. It is very common to have a broken seat belt, for example. If a seat has an in-op seat belt, it cannot be used because it violates FAA regulations.

Another common cause of an in-op seat is a tray table with a broken latch. The tray table is in the "down" position and can't be latched up. When this happens, it can be necessary to block the entire row if it is on the aisle seat because any exit obstructions also violates FAA regulations.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

ikramerica

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:50 am

They should have given her the "Airtran sat me in diseased urine and all got was this lousy t-shirt" shirt.  Smile

Seriously, at an airport like Boston I'm surprised the airline couldn't have done something to find her some clothes. And of course, they should have taped over the seat and reseated her from the start since they knew the guy pissed himself.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N1120A

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 5):

Checked luggage can only be delivered to luggage claim due to the items that can be placed in checked luggage that are not allowed inside the secure area. That is not a FL regulation, it is a FAA/TSA thing. There is nothing FL could have done for her in that respect.

That is fine, but her walking to the claim in a blanket is totally unacceptable. FL should have gone and bought her some clothes from the airport to just walk around in.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Adman737

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:58 am

I dont care what anyone has to say if they are going to defend the airline on this. There is absolutely no excuse in the world for letting a passenger sit in a seat filled with someone's pee. That is not right at all I would feel down graded and discussed at this personally i would start something on that plane.

sh0rtybr0wn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
That is fine, but her walking to the claim in a blanket is totally unacceptable. FL should have gone and bought her some clothes from the airport to just walk around in.

I agree. Awful.

Did they serve food and beverage in the flight? Its like a flying toilet at that point and unsanitary for the pax in adjacent seats. Its a good thing the previous pax didn't have a #2 problem. Should have fixed problem or gave her another seat before takeoff.
What kind of Genius flight attendant knows that a seat was urinated on in previous flight, but only offers to tell the someone AFTER they've sat in that urine?
Is it too much to ask to put up a sign saying " dont sit in this seat - unclean"?

pilotboi

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 5):

Oh and I know this - I work in this environment...but that doesn't mean they couldn't do anything at all. Like said before, they could gotten her something to wear, even some clean work clothes or something from a break room, vouches for the gift store, or anything...except "I'm sorry...there is nothing we can do". That's BS. An airline should have allow their employees to say this. Any company, at that, should never allow their employees to say this. Although it is sometimes the truth - you don't just leave your customers hanging. If you can't do something about it, recommend someone or can. Anything - to make your customers at least slightly happy.

steeler83

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:18 am

Don't they usually clean aircraft in between flights? How did this go unnoticed by the FL personnel? What an awful experience, and just when I thought FL was a decent airline. I guess she won't fly FL again after this, considering the treatment from the staff...

If I were her, I would be outraged. If I were an FL representative, I would have given her my clothes if I had to, granted it would have likely have been an airline uniform, but put urself in a passenger's shoes, especially in an industry where customer satisfaction is paramount...

Of course, not that I would actually go nude to make another passenger satisfied, but I would have done something to get her different clothes after that incident...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

KingAir200

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
That is fine, but her walking to the claim in a blanket is totally unacceptable.

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 11):
Oh and I know this - I work in this environment...but that doesn't mean they couldn't do anything at all.

Oh I don't dispute that. They should have done something more for her than shoo her off with only a blanket. I was just shedding some light on why they couldn't bring her the checked luggage.

[Edited 2007-12-19 20:54:07]

breaker1011

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:59 am

I'm not on either the victim or the airline's side - but - playing devils advocate....

Perhaps this was an "accident" she had herself for whatever physical reason of condition, and in her embarassment, she got up and formulated in her head the way out of a hard spot. Think about it - if it happened to you because you had a physical condition - would you not, at least for a few seconds, wonder if there were an easy way to excuse yourself out of it and blame it on someone else? Let's face it, it's quite fashionable (no pun intended) to cast ire at an airline these days, and even a fast way to get some publicity, or at least a featured spot on U-tube. At this point with all the icky stuff with Southwest, delay rebellions in the cabin, who'd NOT believe you?

I just have to have faith that AirTran and nearly any other airline - if the FA really did know about what happened, would just not likely just ignore such a problem and let someone sit there.
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

kalakaua

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:01 am

This is one of the reasons why I kinda prefer leather seats on an aircraft.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:07 am

I don't know of any airline that would find that acceptable. I'm with breaker1011 with his devil's advocate theory...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

breaker1011

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:18 am

You know for some reason I keep reading this story to disect further.

I don't buy it.

She "says" an FA told her that someone had an accident in the seat on the last flight. That doesn't mean an FA actually told her that. Bet if she lined up the crew that day she'd suddenly forget who "told her" that.

Come on - walked through a terminal in a blanket? Right. What's more humilating - looking like you spilled a drink on your lap/rear, or walking through a crowded terminal in a felt blanket. Pick your evil here.

Not only did the not give her new clothing but no voucher, no supervisor, nothing? AirTran's not that insidious nor are they stupid. I think the folks at the arriving airport didn't believe her either, and thus offered to do nothing. Then finally offered a refund when she went public - what else could they do.

Further - this would be a really big press deal if you ask me - you'd have seen this nationally if it were really a stable story.

I keep looking at her photo and the expression on her face, and even it is starting to deteriorate her credibility in my mind. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid. J. Wayne

SkyexRamper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting Billaskier (Thread starter):
Pretty GROSS if you ask me...

That is nothing! About 2 years ago a woman, on a Skyway 1900D bound for STL, took a dump on the floor right next to the entry door while in flight. She covered it with a magazine and was not the only person on the flight. Beat that!  box   yuck 
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

acidradio
Crew

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:50 am

Usually the "contaminated" seats are reserved for non-revs  Wink
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

scouseflyer

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:08 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 18):
That is nothing! About 2 years ago a woman, on a Skyway 1900D bound for STL, took a dump on the floor right next to the entry door while in flight. She covered it with a magazine and was not the only person on the flight. Beat that!

Was she ill was there any explanation for this?

GrahamHill

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:48 am

That is nothing! About 2 years ago a woman, on a Skyway 1900D bound for STL, took a dump on the floor right next to the entry door while in flight. She covered it with a magazine and was not the only person on the flight. Beat that!

WTF?!
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

aloha73g

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:59 am

On HA 717s we had an extra seat cushion on each aircraft (stowed under the last row of seats) which we used in situations like this, or a spilled drink, vomit, etc. When we got to HNL, we simply told the cleaners we needed X number of cushions and they'd have them there before the next flight boarded....which is not long on interisland flights.

If I was the crew on this flight I would have removed the dirty cushion and swapped with the last row window seat; with the tray down and an "INOP" sign. If the crew knew it was dirty, they dropped the ball in letting her sit there.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

laca773

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 am

When you think it's already getting nutty, this really is one of the worst {maybe not the worst}. Complete insanity and unprofessional laziness.

vulindlela744

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:06 pm

No excuse here.....We have "save a seats" on all our aircraft for situations like this. The f/a should have taken the extra time to change it out. Having said that it seems as though she/he knew about the problem upon arrival into FLL. This is one of our bigger stations which would more than likely have a whole new seat cushion to change. Someone was simply not doing their job. I don't blame this woman for being upset. The airline should issue a public apology.

airlinelover

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Here is what I find odd..

Castellano said a flight attendant told her someone had gone to the bathroom in the seat during the previous flight.

"A flight attendant told me that on the previous flight a man had urinated on himself in that particular seat. And I said, 'I'm not sitting on a three hours flight soaked in someone else's urine. That is absolutely disgusting,'" Castellano said.

How would the FA necessarily know? I doubt some guy will come up and say "Yeah, I peed on the seat, sorry".... Even when they "clean" the aircraft it usually amounts to nothing more then picking stuff up off the floor or whatnot.. When I was a FA and did the drunk-as-hell mexico runs etc, no one ever came up to one of us and said "oh yeah I puked/peed/pooped/etc on the seat"... We have found puke on the floor afterwards, but it's generally easier to spot then pee..

Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

ac888yow

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:49 pm

My family was in service-oriented business for more than 30 years and hearing stuff like this really gets on my nerves. It's one thing if they can't retrieve her baggage, but they should have given her some sort of voucher or arranged for the purchase of new pants when in Boston. It's especially bad because they knew of the soiled seat before and didn't block it off.

I was once travelling with a group of friends (five of us in total) and a delay caused us to miss a connection. After some discussion the airline gave us each a $10 voucher for food. Clearly the airlines have an allowance to do this, so I don't understand why they have to take a hard stance all of the time. In our case they shelled out $50, which is probably more than enough to buy a cheap pair of pants.

MSYtristar

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:57 pm

I have actually seen this happen several times on FL flights. Problem is, you have gate agents who'd just assume not to clean it up, and the same holds true for F/A's. The F/A's usually ask for a new seat cushion if they notice that a seat is wet with something. Whether or not they receive one from the ground staff is "rolling the dice", however. Sometimes they ended up just placing a few blankets on the wet seat if the flight was full and there were no other options. On a non full flight, the seat would just be blocked off.

MSYtristar

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:04 pm

A big problem regarding the trend of dirty, unsanitary aircraft is the fact that the stations are generally under intense pressure to turn the plane in 20-30 minutes, depending on if the plane arrived late or not. As those of you know who work in the business...and esp. for FL...there are conference calls every weekday morning with the VP of Cust Svc where each station has to account for delays. Sometimes those calls used to be rather unpleasant, to put it nicely. And then of course there are so many Sup's and Station Managers out there who tear into the agents for getting a flight out late no matter what the reason. I for one am glad that I'm out of the industry because I could not deal with the incompetent upper management and archaeic rules which have the goal of ensuring on time flights but sadly place things like aircraft cleanliness down the list.

tjc2

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Anything after reply 13 in this thread is misinformed, however I don't know whether this was mentioned in the original article posted, but it clearly says that she

Quote:
"took off the wet clothes, wrapped herself in a blanket and changed seats"

Alas, all your writing off the Airline for not helping her isn't based on sound evidence.
However, if this is the case then I agree with the the whole Devils Advocate theory in that she is covering her own ass at the expensive of a stranger. If not, I do agree with the fact they did nothing to help her after the flight is a bit astounding.

Further though, It is quite hard to go anywhere near anything drenched in urine without thinking, "wow, what is that smell?" In which case, If i was an FA on duty cleaning, i would have noticed it whilst doing so. Then, If a passenger came up and told me that someone else has let rip all over a seat which has got me drenched in 'rip' (hehe!), I would be A) confused and B) less inclined to assist them with their troubles.

publicity is a wonderful thing for getting your own way!
The only time I made a mistake was when I thought I was wrong...

SkyexRamper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 20):
Was she ill was there any explanation for this?

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 21):
WTF?!

Nope, she didn't let the crew know before departure and couldn't hold it for the remainder of the flight.  eek 

JRDC930

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm not surprised, given the fact parents never controll their brats on a flight, and the fact that U.S. carriers could care less weather a passenger was siting in shi** or not. Ah the joys of flying in United States...  Yeah sure
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

SBBRTech

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Now wait there Skyexramper, what was that again????
You are right, can't beat that.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

steeler83

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 25):
How would the FA necessarily know? I doubt some guy will come up and say "Yeah, I peed on the seat, sorry".... Even when they "clean" the aircraft it usually amounts to nothing more then picking stuff up off the floor or whatnot.. When I was a FA and did the drunk-as-hell mexico runs etc, no one ever came up to one of us and said "oh yeah I puked/peed/pooped/etc on the seat"... We have found puke on the floor afterwards, but it's generally easier to spot then pee..

Come to think of it, that does strike me as being a bit odd... If I were to piss myself, I wouldn't want to announce that to anyone myself.

Quoting Tjc2 (Reply 29):
Further though, It is quite hard to go anywhere near anything drenched in urine without thinking, "wow, what is that smell?" In which case, If i was an FA on duty cleaning, i would have noticed it whilst doing so. Then, If a passenger came up and told me that someone else has let rip all over a seat which has got me drenched in 'rip' (hehe!), I would be A) confused and B) less inclined to assist them with their troubles.

publicity is a wonderful thing for getting your own way!

That is a good point! Unless someone is completely stuffed up or sick with a cold, you'd be able to smell that just about anywhere in an enclosed, pressurized environment pretty much. Any kind of urine has to be the most potent substance around, next to whiskey!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:53 pm

Ok, reading this is just disgusting... I hope to god that I don't know any of the flight attendants on the flight. I know quite a few FL flight attendants, and they don't sound like they would have handled the situation this way.

That being said, when I worked in MKE, I believe we always kept a spare seat cushion in the jetway, just in case.

Hopefully, in the coming years, FL will switch to leather seats.
Puhdiddle

SkyexRamper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 32):
Now wait there Skyexramper, what was that again????
You are right, can't beat that.

Yep, you read it right.....1900D + woman + crapping in front of passenger + crew not having a dang idea until they landed = priceless.

xtoler

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:50 pm

This story does "smell" a little off. Unfortunately, the passenger is always right. Sometimes that just "pisses" me off. Just had to figure a way to use smell and piss. All sides of the story are definately plausible. I've dealt with plenty of pax trying to come up with ways to screw the airline (or us F/A's) to get a refund on their tickets. Especially in the NE states of the US. Then again, I've had the misfortune to commute or deadhead on flights with terrible F/A's. Unfortunately, the bad F/A's started to outnumber bad pax. The good thing about being an F/A on 50 pax jets, I didn't have to work with any other F/A, especially bad ones.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 28):
A big problem regarding the trend of dirty, unsanitary aircraft is the fact that the stations are generally under intense pressure to turn the plane in 20-30 minutes, depending on if the plane arrived late or not. As those of you know who work in the business...and esp. for FL...there are conference calls every weekday morning with the VP of Cust Svc where each station has to account for delays. Sometimes those calls used to be rather unpleasant, to put it nicely. And then of course there are so many Sup's and Station Managers out there who tear into the agents for getting a flight out late no matter what the reason. I for one am glad that I'm out of the industry because I could not deal with the incompetent upper management and archaeic rules which have the goal of ensuring on time flights but sadly place things like aircraft cleanliness down the list.

Let management bitch. They'll get over it. In the long run, they'd be more thankful for the delay than having some passenger sitting in an unsafe seat. Of course they don't think of it, if it doesn't happen. But, if the crew follows through on trip reports (this story would warrant one). Actually, our policy, before anyone would have sat in that seat, the seat would be written up in a trip report and a safety report by the F/A, passed on to the PIC. The PIC would also write a report and notify MX. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but that is SOP and it's one way for the flight crew to cover their ass if management wants to call you in for a "carpet dance" in the office.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

bennett123

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:54 pm

How did she not smell it before sitting down.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Was it a 717 or 737? IF it is a 737, the seats are darker hence harder to detect wet spots. On the 717, the seats are lighter, and if you spill so much as water on them, you can detect it, and see it before you sit down.
Puhdiddle

CanadianNorth

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 4):
The seat should have been changed or something done

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 6):
They can't often change the seat cover. Seat covers are not usually stocked at out stations.

Can't speak for this airline, but the one I work for we try to keep two or three spare seat bottom covers in the overhead bin with the blankets/extra safety cards/etc, so if one needs to be changed during the day the option is there. It only takes a couple minutes for an F/A to do, and all it takes is pull the old one off, slide the new one on and stick it in place (just 4 strips of velcro that holds the cover on).

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 10):
Is it too much to ask to put up a sign saying " dont sit in this seat - unclean"?

That's a good option B. We carry little things that slip over the headrest and read "DO NOT OCCUPY". They are generally for the row in front of seatpacks of cargo, but they work well in cases like this too. Just throw a blanket over the seat and slide one of these on the headrest.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 12):
Don't they usually clean aircraft in between flights? How did this go unnoticed by the FL personnel?

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 28):
A big problem regarding the trend of dirty, unsanitary aircraft is the fact that the stations are generally under intense pressure to turn the plane in 20-30 minutes, depending on if the plane arrived late or not.

It should have been noticed, but I know it can easily be missed. Working as a groomer, I know first hand what it's like to walk on with four of us and be told that we have 10 minutes to get on a 737 and fold all seatbelts, pick up all garbage, wipe all table trays, check each pocket for safety cards etc, swiffer the floor, wipe down the gallies, restock the gallies, take out all the garbages, take off 100 meals and put 100 new ones on, clean the lavs, and get off again. It really is a case of just give er and do what you can as fast as you can, and sometimes it's simply a case of you can say screw it and move on, or you can delay the flight trying to do it.
I've done a lot of turns, and they are always the same. Go like hell and hope you didn't miss anything, because with 12 minutes to clean and restock 120 seats, 2 galleys with full meals, and 2 lavs with 4 people, it's simply impossible to get it perfect.

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 14):
I'm not on either the victim or the airline's side - but - playing devils advocate....

Definately sounds like a possibility....

CanadianNorth
Way to go, nice and slow, never late, 748!

Queso

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Oh, how I love WN's open seating.  cloudnine 

12th person on the plane and seat with a shitsmear on it?
64th person on the plane and vomit in the seatback pouch?
76th person on the plane and used condoms in the overhead bin?

No problem, just go a couple more rows back! No crew intervention required!

132nd person on the plane and the only seat left is next to a sweaty redneck? Oh well, you can't win 'em all!

LHRBlueSkies

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:24 pm

i think she is just taking the p**s!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 17):
She "says" an FA told her that someone had an accident in the seat on the last flight. That doesn't mean an FA actually told her that. Bet if she lined up the crew that day she'd suddenly forget who "told her" that.

I can not honestly believe that an F/A would BOLDY ADMIT that they knew that someone took a piss in the seat and they didn't do anything to fix the problem and LET A PASSENGER sit in it. Sounds quite fishy to me. I think she pissed on herself.

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 17):
Come on - walked through a terminal in a blanket? Right. What's more humilating - looking like you spilled a drink on your lap/rear, or walking through a crowded terminal in a felt blanket. Pick your evil here.

Well, although I agree with you that she did this to herself and was embarrased, let's say she was telling the truth, I'd rather do what she did than walk around in some other guy's piss. That's so damn unsanitary. I don't even flush a urinal with my bare hands. Think about it. Do you know how many guys have shaked and flushed before you?

That is nuts! So the 1900 i'm guessing has no lav?

Ok. I don't know what to make of this whole situation. I don't see how she can lie and say an F/A told her that someone had had an accident knowing that AirTran was going to investigate and QUESTION THE CREW. Would be interesting to so what goes down. Honestly, I don't know if she's lying or not.
What gets measured gets done.

ZBBYLW

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 42):

Alot of 1900's do not. This happened with Pacific Coastal some time ago. Basically what happened was some PAX got upset that there was no lav on board. Went to the back did his business and left it in the isle in order to show his displeasure with not having a lav on board.
Keep the shinny side up!

SkyexRamper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 43):
Alot of 1900's do not. This happened with Pacific Coastal some time ago. Basically what happened was some PAX got upset that there was no lav on board. Went to the back did his business and left it in the isle in order to show his displeasure with not having a lav on board.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 42):

Very few 1900s have a lav added into them as it takes up 66% of the small forward/aft cargo bin. The only airline I can think of that has or had them is Air NZ's regional carrier.

xtoler

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 39):
It should have been noticed, but I know it can easily be missed. Working as a groomer, I know first hand what it's like to walk on with four of us and be told that we have 10 minutes to get on a 737 and fold all seatbelts, pick up all garbage, wipe all table trays, check each pocket for safety cards etc, swiffer the floor, wipe down the gallies, restock the gallies, take out all the garbages, take off 100 meals and put 100 new ones on, clean the lavs, and get off again. It really is a case of just give er and do what you can as fast as you can, and sometimes it's simply a case of you can say screw it and move on, or you can delay the flight trying to do it.
I've done a lot of turns, and they are always the same. Go like hell and hope you didn't miss anything, because with 12 minutes to clean and restock 120 seats, 2 galleys with full meals, and 2 lavs with 4 people, it's simply impossible to get it perfect.

When I flew for Trans States, I had to clean my own plane. Not so bad, if you keep the a/c for the day. But what used to really piss me off was when the a/c would sit a day or two in the hangar and the contractors didn't clean the damn plane and I'd have five minutes to board pax and have to clean and preflight. And put the seat cushions down and cross the seatbelts. Luckily I only had 50 seats to check, on top of prepping the galley, checking the lav, and there are seat cushions and Burger King wrappers and cups and a beer bottle or two (we don't sell beer by the bottle) all through the cabin. Never saw that in STL, but at our RIC base, that was a pretty common occurance. Many a trip report did I make.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

iairallie

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 36):
Unfortunately, the passenger is always right.

No they are not especially when safety is involved. You need to read NUTS!.

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 39):
Can't speak for this airline, but the one I work for we try to keep two or three spare seat bottom covers in the overhead bin with the blankets/extra safety cards/etc, so if one needs to be changed during the day the option is there. It only takes a couple minutes for an F/A to do, and all it takes is pull the old one off, slide the new one on and stick it in place (just 4 strips of velcro that holds the cover on).

I've worked for several carriers none of them did that. Nice that yours does although if the seat is soaked putting a new cover wouldn't really fix the problem you'd need a new cushion too.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

RSWA330

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting Breaker1011 (Reply 14):
Perhaps this was an "accident" she had herself for whatever physical reason of condition, and in her embarassment, she got up and formulated in her head the way out of a hard spot. Think about it - if it happened to you because you had a physical condition - would you not, at least for a few seconds, wonder if there were an easy way to excuse yourself out of it and blame it on someone else? Let's face it, it's quite fashionable (no pun intended) to cast ire at an airline these days, and even a fast way to get some publicity, or at least a featured spot on U-tube. At this point with all the icky stuff with Southwest, delay rebellions in the cabin, who'd NOT believe you?

I was wondering this too. While I can't say I've sat in pee, I have sat in liquids. My pants were definately not soaked. They may have gotten damp, but hardly soaked. Also, if the man had peed on a previous flight, most of the urine would have probably soaked into the seat by the time the departing passengers boarded. I'm wondering if she had a peeing problem herself and was too embarassed to admit she peed on herself. No flight attendant would knowingly allow a passenger to sit in a seat that she knew someone had urinted on. However, what was the flight attendant supposed to do when the woman came up to her. She had to either blame a passenger on the previous flight which would have made the woman mad, or she could have questioned the woman on the possibilty that maybe she peed herself which would have probably made the woman furious. I don't think blame could be put on the F/A. I know that I wouldn't know what to do in that situation. Are flight attendants trained for this particular issue?

Rj111

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:13 pm

They should have sat her in the carsey. Big grin

aloha73g

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 46):
I've worked for several carriers none of them did that. Nice that yours does although if the seat is soaked putting a new cover wouldn't really fix the problem you'd need a new cushion too.

Hawaiian keeps a spare cushion on 717s for this type of problem. Happened to me a few times while I was flying with them...unrine, vomit, spilled drink, etc. Easily fixed in a few seconds with the spare cushion.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos