airmale

UL CEO Work Permit Withdrawn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:50 am

.....up there with the best!

brightcedars

RE: UL CEO Work Permit Withdrawn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:11 am

Well, it is unacceptable. It's not like there was an emergency or anything. They could have planned this well in advance.

I wonder how the Sri Lankan President got to England in the first place? They just showed up at the airport in Colombo and waved a plane? Anyway this is in no way a matter of the State and I don't see why hard earned Sri Lankan tax payer money should be involved in financing such a trip. Same goes for any leader in any country.
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

OA260

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:22 am

So they would off load confirmed passengers going on holiday just for political reasons!! Just when UL has got a good name for itself the Sri Lankan government want to use it as its private jet!! It stinks of the Air Lanka days ......

brightcedars

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
just for political reasons

To attend your son's graduation ceremony doesn't seem to be part of a Presidential to me. It surely is a father's duty though.
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

vincewy

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 am

How can you remove someone's work eligibility when he's married to a Sri Lankan?

zvezda

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:14 am

It seems like it's time to impeach the president of Sri Lanka.

fanfan

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Yet another reason to avoid state owned airlines everywhere. This story reads like the one about Mugabe flying on a London flight but making it land someplace else first.

rfields5421

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 4):
How can you remove someone's work eligibility when he's married to a Sri Lankan?

I have no idea what the laws are in that country - but it would be quite possible in the US.

The person married to a US citizen has the right to apply for status as an immigrant to the US. There are some details - but basically they have that right - but there is no requirement they must apply for such status.

In many cases the foreign citizen spouse has no intention of giving up his/her home country citizenship.

That person will be able to get extended stay visa's based upon their marriage - but those visa's have no right to work in the US.

They must qualify for a status which allows them to work based on criteria other than the marriage if they do not state an intention to become a US citizen. That work permission can be removed if they fail to qualify for the requirements at some point in the future.

I would suspect this airline CEO has no intention of giving up British citizenship to become a Sri Lankan citizen - so his work status is under other rules than as an immigrant spouse.

Vasu

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:18 pm

He should have planned this much better...

On a side note, how did a Mihin Lanka plane come to pick him up? Don't they just have A320s and A321s?

YYZ4RADD

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:33 pm

The president and his buddies in Sri Lanka has been unhappy with a foreign hand running Sri Lankan, who was a former Emirates employee. They used this excuse to fire the fellow...doesnt it seem odd that all of a sudden the President wants to fly Sri Lankan when he has been flying Mihin all along even to the UN meetings in New York on a A321. His family owns Mihin indirectly through a Singaporean based company. His brother is honorary chairman of Mihin.

I wonder if this excuse will be used by the SL govt not renew the Emirates agreement (which they are not happy about). They might designate a person to run the airline who Emirates will not approve and hence the domino effect.

The reason Mihin was setup was they were not happy with a foreign (especially Muslim airline) running Sri Lankan (it goes back to the Singhala nationalist nonsense that exists in Sri Lanka (one of the primary reasons for the current war)