Jsheldon
Topic Author

Any Regional Or Commuter Pilots Here?

Tue Aug 29, 2000 5:33 am

Can any regional airline or commuter airline pilot tell me how much time is spent at home? Is the time away from home less or greater then with a national or international carrier. Thanks in advance,
Jeff

RE: Any Regional Or Commuter Pilots Here?

Tue Aug 29, 2000 10:05 am

I fly for SkyWest and have lots of time at home. The typical week is work four days, home three. This month I'm doing what we call back-to-back-two-days. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I report to work (in Portland) at 3:45pm fly 6 legs ending in Bellingham, WA at 11:30pm. Stay at the Hampton Inn. Back to work at 12:30pm, fly 6 more legs and home at 10:05pm Wednesday night. I'll do that same trip Thursday-Friday and have Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off. This month's schedule has 12 days off. Some schedules have 14-15 days off.

I don't really know about other airlines. I saw a Seattle "bid packet" (list of schedules) for Alaska Airlines and they have anywhere from 14-19 days off; the majority of them 15-16. They have two and three day trips, much like SkyWest, only more days off, it seems. I think Southwest Airlines has mostly 3 and 4 day trips.

The guys flying internationally are gone more days at a time, but fly fewer trips. So they may do a 5-day trip, but do that only twice a month with many days off in between.

Does this help?
Chris

Tue Aug 29, 2000 10:19 am

Depends on the carrier and seniority. After 18 months at CCAir (USAirways Express) I was a senior First Officer with a 3 on/4 off schedule...it was great

Jsheldon
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2000 6:11 pm

Thanks for the information. I was also wondering, if you work a day, is it a definite your not sleeping in your bed that night? Or is it possible to work, and end up in your hometown?

Cody

Tue Aug 29, 2000 7:26 pm

Last month I had 18 days off. this coming month I am off 13 days. I usually only work on weekends and I am home every night.

Jsheldon
Topic Author

RE: Cody

Tue Aug 29, 2000 7:35 pm

What airline do you work for and what aircraft do you fly?

Jsheldon
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2000 1:09 am

Any commuter pilots on here? Like Cape Air and such.

Jsheldon
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2000 6:43 pm

Just wanted to put it at the top to be noticed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos