Matt D
Topic Author

Suggestions For Trip

Wed Aug 30, 2000 8:14 pm

My annual fall trip to New York is coming up. I am looking at going in late October. For the last few years, I've been taking Continental non stop between LAX-EWR. It's been good service, and a good fare.
But when I went to price them a few days ago, my jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw that they were up to almost $600.
I also noted that National had the same itinerary only via a stop at LAS for about $360.
I haven't priced anyone else yet. I've been loyal to CO, and they are definitely my first choice, but not if they are going to be twice the price. So here are my acceptable option from which I'd like to get some feedback.

National: My second choice. Can anyone tell me what their long haul service is like? I sampled a short LAX-LAS r/t and was very pleased. ALso, where in EWR are they located?

America West: My third choice:
What's their long haul service like? Also, can I make an EWR connection via LAS instead of PHX out of ONT or LAX?
AWA Ramper and AWAA320...where are you?

USAirways: My final choice: I've heard that they are great. But I would imagine their fares to be on par, if not higher than CO. Assuming I book with US, how can I get from LAX to EWR without having to go through CLT or PIT? I'd rather change planes in PHL because I'm familiar with that airport...and then take a prop jobber up to EWR or LGA.

c72

RE: Suggestions For Trip

Wed Aug 30, 2000 8:42 pm

National actually flies into JFK.

RWally

Wed Aug 30, 2000 9:16 pm

You can get SNA-EWR on AWA, don't know the cost though.

RWally

RE: Suggestions For Trip...SNA-EWR

Wed Aug 30, 2000 9:26 pm

I looked into SNA-EWR and it's like $561. It's flight 2684 from SNA-EWR making a stop in PHX for 1 hour. Return is flight 2658 from EWR-SNA stopping in PHX for 58 minutes. Notice it is SNA not SAN.

RE: Suggestions For Trip...SNA-EWR

Wed Aug 30, 2000 9:59 pm

You could also take Spirit Airlines. That's probably from what I checked a cheap thing.

B737-700

Wed Aug 30, 2000 10:02 pm

Spirit would be from LAX of course.