morecy

Concorde Transcript

Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:26 pm

I was reading through the comments posted on Prrune.com regarding the black box transcript of the downed Concorde (this is a pilot forum).

First off, just reading the transcript brought tears... such a terrible account.

A number of pilots also brought up their aversion to the notion of proposed video recording of the cockpit as part of the black box recordings. They argued that in this voyeuristic society, it's bad enough that these voice transcripts are made public... but think how the media would use released video footage of the last moments of the crew. Would the public have a right to see this?

How do we balance the use of technology to enhance safety versus the common decency of respect towards the families of the lost crew when you've got the media's unscrupulous desire to feed the public's lust for morbid fascination?

Ilyushin96M

RE: Concorde Transcript

Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:58 pm

No, there should ABSOLUTELY not be video cameras in the cockpit recording the crew's actions. As Morecy mentioned, just imagine people being able to watch from the crew's vantage point as a plane goes down. How horribly morbid! Sometimes the cockpit voice recordings are hard enough to read and/or hear.

BTW, I wanted to check out that site prrune.com, but I can't connect to it. Is that the correct address?

JumboClassic

Fri Sep 01, 2000 9:04 pm

http://www.pprune.org

morecy

Fri Sep 01, 2000 9:11 pm

Yeah, it is www.pprune.com. This site has some great stuff.

One argument was that a video recording would have been instrumental in the investigation of last year's Egyptair crash.

Do you think a law forbidding this info from being released to the public would work?

mbmbos

Fri Sep 01, 2000 9:38 pm

The merits of cockpit video taping should be based on whether there's a real chance that such tapings could bring important details to light.

Sadly, it's hard to imagine such tapings not making its way to the tabloids or even to the established media.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

JumboClassic

Fri Sep 01, 2000 9:48 pm

If there is a video recording from the cockpit, it is very likely that it will find its way to the tabloids one way or the other. I am totally against it and I am not sure if it will be much more useful than the CVR, at least for the majority of accidents.

As for the Concorde transcript - extremely sad... I wouldn't want to see a video from this cockpit.

Golfhaus

Fri Sep 01, 2000 10:54 pm

Morecy,

"Do you think a law forbidding this info from being released to the public would work?"

Maybe on a domestic flight, but once you get out into the ocean and past the (12 miles out?) part of the ocean that each country claims territorial rights to, a nation's laws become worthless. Granted, you might be able to secure some kind of international agreement, but all it would take is one country to not agree to it and you have your disaster video pipeline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos