Greeneyes53787
Topic Author

Damage From Thunderheads

Sat Sep 02, 2000 6:27 am

Long in the past I read about a 707 that flew through a thunderhead cloud with all its turbulent air and landed with an amazing looking wing. I remember seeing a photo of it. One side of the wing (or one wing) was bent up about 12-feet (TWELVE FEET).

It landed, and I believe no pax were killed. I remember this vividly.

I suppose if it were full of fuel and cargo it could have been heavy enough to cause a lot of wing loading, but I cannot imagine this kind of damage without dead people inside the craft. The Gs must have been great. 707 wings are strong.

Please feel free to comment on this story. But I would like to hear from you. What similar stories do you have on in-flight damage caused by the weather?

Please feel free to comment on this story. But I would like to hear from you. What similar stories do you have on in-flight damage caused by the weather?

GE

Big777jet

RE: Damage From Thunderheads

Sat Sep 02, 2000 8:29 am

Long time ago, I saw the picture of inside passenger's window took picture of 707's right wing with half wing! The Pan Am flew from SFO to HNL. The # 4 engine exploded and tore off the wing over San Francisco after take off. The 707 captain said to co-pilot, "Don't panic and pretend that we are test flight." He's very calmy and emergency landing at Travis Air Force Base without any problem! No one was killed or injured on ground. The engine fell off from 707 went through the alley in SF. They're very lucky that day for Pan Am!! Whoa!!!!!

Big777jet

Greeneyes53787
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2000 8:37 am

Big777jet,
I believe I remember this. I didn't remember all of it. I just remember a 707 losing a whole engine--and the engine hitting the ground.

When a pilot says to the ground controller "we've lost an engine," he usually means that the engine flamed out (shut off). But this time he meant that the engine fell off...

Thanks for the story.

GE

Tom in NO

Sat Sep 02, 2000 8:56 am

Th ironic thing about the Pan Am 707 wing story mentioned by 'Big777jet', is that the replacement 707 that Pan Am sent to Travis AFB had problems of its own.....the nose gear collapsed on landing at Travis while coming to get the original pax.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Sat Sep 02, 2000 9:33 am

Anyone know about this accident? It was a Northwest Orient 720. It crashed in Florida in 1963:

"The aircraft crashed after penetrating a severe thunderstorm cell. While attempting to pull out of a turbulence-induced dive, the aircraft broke apart due to excessive g-forces."

What exactly happened here, in more detail than above?

N202PA

Sat Sep 02, 2000 12:33 pm

Check out this link for more information on the crash of NW 705:

http://www.crashpages.com/reports/ayers/705.shtml

killjoy

Damage From Hail

Sat Sep 02, 2000 3:52 pm

The topic is thunderheads, but I don't see why I couldn't mention other types of weather disturbances too.

This is quoted from www.surf.to/md80:

"9 Aug 1997 ALICANTE, SPAIN Finnair MD83 from Helsinki, Finland to Alicante, Spain with 156 pax was hit by hail-storm when descending through 29,000 ft. Windshield cracked and nose radome was damaged beyond repair. Landing uneventful, no casualties."

Must have been pretty bad since it managed to crack the windshield. I can't imagine what could've happened if it had managed to brake it completely, thus allowing the hails to hit the crew...

If I remember correctly, there was also severe damage to the leading edges of the wings.

Greeneyes53787
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2000 6:28 am

I read a book lately by a pilot with funny stories to tell. One of them was an 880 story. He landed on a wet day during winter. The plane landed perfectly--as smooth as silk. Then a passenger of another flight, I recall, asked the pilot if that ice caused any trouble. The 880 pilot said, "what ice?

The man walked the pilot toward the tail and pointed at a piece of ice about the size of a barn door, and twice as thick, covering the vertical stabilizer.

Then in the book the writer (the pilot) stated that with enough power I suppose you could fly a barn door.

GE

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos