Is This About Oneworld True?

Sat Sep 02, 2000 1:32 pm

G'day,

is it true as posted in another post that BA wants to get out of Oneworld ?? If so, when could this be ? Who could be their new codeshare partners ? KLM ?

Thanks, B737-700

RE: Is This About Oneworld True?

Sat Sep 02, 2000 1:35 pm

Hello B737-700,

I don't think that BA wants to get out of OneWorld. Where do you get tht info from???

Alvin

Sat Sep 02, 2000 1:39 pm

Was mentioned in the post "Who's next to join SKYTEAM ?"

B737-700

blink182

Sat Sep 02, 2000 6:34 pm

it is not true that BA wants to get out of Oneworld, if an airline does,the biggest chance would be AA since they keep getting alliances with Qualiflyer members and if AA leaves Oneworld and joins Qualiflyer,Qualiflyer might go global,note-the chance of this happening is extremely slim to none so don't expect anything,another thing I have always thought was Qualiflyer and Oneworld merging,the AerLingus and British Airways' route network do not really intersect with Qualiflyers,if anything happens,Sabena and Swissair and maybe Turkish join Oneworld.this is all very doubtfull though. BA does not want to leave Oneworld,partly because it has an edge over Virgin and if Virgin joins an alliance,BA will definately not leave.
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

sn330

Sat Sep 02, 2000 10:27 pm

I don't think BA wants out of oneworld, I just think that they along with American, are frusturated with the US/UK government bilateral agreements, and how the US won't grant them antitrust immunity.
The government is being a hypocrite, UA-LH anti trust immunity, but yet no BA-AA antitrust? Lufthansa controls Frankfurt more than BA controls Heathrow, and yet the govt. still grants them antitrust immunity.

sn330

Pbb152

Sun Sep 03, 2000 10:46 am

I have heard a rumor of BA leaving Oneworld as well. The scenario I've heard is if BA and KLM hook up, they will join NW. Supposedly CX would also leave Oneworld to join the new alliance. BA is very unhappy with the lack of progress in the US/UK bilateral and that has hindered the alliance with AA. Since NW doesn't have access to LHR, this wouldn't seem to pose as much of a problem. These are only second-hand rumors, but I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents on what I've heard. Who knows where the alliances are going these days. It seems STAR and SKYTEAM are the only alliances that are pretty well set, or developing with very few problems.

Pete

JAVOMD88

Sun Sep 03, 2000 12:34 pm

HI,
I was invited to a skyteam breakfast in Mexico city, and one of the most important things told there was,
that by late dec. early jan Ba is to leave one world, as well as united leaving star. whos knows how true that may sound, but yes, us/uk agreements have broken alot of spectations between one world members.
who knows what will happen. also, told there is that Air france is trying to buy some percentage of Thai and if that happens, Thai might endup joining skyteam, and also told was that Thai is angry a Star alliance directives because of singapure airlines joining star. so that might tell us everything in the future.
aeromexico.....the only true carrier of mexico

Sun Sep 03, 2000 1:06 pm

Rhumors, rhumors.

I have heard nothing regarding Air France wanting a piece of Thai. I doubt it because while, yes Thai was dissapointed with the arrival of Singapore in STAR, the airline and its chief clearly stated that they had no intention of leaving the alliance.

Yes BA and AA are frustrated by the lack of progress on US/UK bilateral but I believe much will change in the coming future. B. Midland and Delta (or CO, toss up really) will gain trans atlantic privildeges, Bermuda 2, will be ammended to allow for more cities to be served from LHR. Also, BA and AA will get limited antitrust immunity, not to the KLM/NW extent, but they will be able to exchange FF credit and maybe some codeshare on noncompeting flights, like AA from Dallas, and BA to Phoenix. Just my predictions.

russ

JAVOMD88

Sun Sep 03, 2000 1:12 pm

Dear Russ,
hi, i saw a couple of days ago, here at airliners.net at the news section stating the info on airfrance wanting to do a move around thailand. i confirmed that theory
later at a breakfast held for skyteam employees.
thats all. bye.
javo.
aeromexico.....the only true carrier of mexico

AFa340-300E

Air France Seeks A Stake In Thai Airways

Sun Sep 03, 2000 2:12 pm

Hello,

Yes, there have been many pieces on the press regarding that stake Air France is seeking on Thai.

This is no secret.

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

renoair

Sun Sep 03, 2000 4:02 pm

I have read something about it in the Dutch newspapers. If BA and KLM merge, they will keep the relationship with Northwest and quit with American.
I don't know if this is true. But it seems logical, because the EU still won't approve the BA/AA alliance and AA has forged relations with some Qualiflier members.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Joe Corrigan

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ed Saldana

SR3496

Sun Sep 03, 2000 4:45 pm

What will then be the asian partners of those two alliances? I think that BA/KLM go together with MAS and JAS, Qualiflyer/AA will get Cathay Pacific and JAL.
SR3496