AFa340-300E
Topic Author

Western Pacific Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2000 4:38 am

Hello,

Could anyone give me some information about this airline (with interesting c/s!) please?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mark Bess

Thank you,

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

RE: Western Pacific Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2000 4:45 am

Well, they were based at Colorado Springs and in '97 they shut down.

Tom in NO

Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:04 am

WestPac (Western Pacific) was begun in April of 1995 by Edward Beauvais, formerly CEO of America West Airlines. He started WestPac with 3 737-300's. They were hubbed at COS, and was the primary reason that COS built a brand-new terminal. The fleet grew from 3 to 8 to 12 and finally to 18. For a fee, WestPac would paint their a/c in an advertiser's colors. Some of the more colorful ones were Fox Network's the Simpsons, the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas, the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, the Purgatory Ski Resort in Durango, CO, etc. WestPac flew routes as far away from COS as SEA, MIA, SAN, EWR. Unfortunately, WestPac never earned a profit!!!

In late 1996, new investors took over the airline, installed some new executives who promptly decided to move the airline's hub to Denver Int'l. The fallacy of that decision was instantly apparent.....direct competition with United at one of their fortress hubs. A final chance to save the airline was created when merger talks with DEN-based Frontier Airlines were started. Frontier bailed out of the talks, and WestPac finally filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October 1997.

Airline enthusiasts are reminded almost daily of one of WestPac's legacies.....they were the originator of the 'logojet', now so commonplace among the airlines.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

P.S. Above info stolen from the May/June 1998 issue of Airliners. Hope it answers your questions.
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

goingboeing

Then Airliners Is Wrong -Tom

Sun Sep 03, 2000 6:01 am

In 1988, Southwest Airlines launched the first of the "Shamu" planes for Sea World. By 1995, They had 3 Shamus, plus Lone Star 1, California 1, and Arizona 1 in service. And, FWIW, the old Westpac "Simpsons" plane is flying in Southwest Colors.

Tom in NO

Sun Sep 03, 2000 7:11 am

Yep, SW did come out with the 3 Shamu's some time ago, which of course, Sea World pays them a fee. They also have the Texas, california, Arizona, and Nevada planes, as well, however I doubt those states actually pay for those paint jobs  . They also promote themselves with the Triple Crown and Silver One 25th anniversary airplanes.

But, Western Pacific was the first to offer the pay-to-advertise-on-my-airplane throughout their fleet.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

sn330

Sun Sep 03, 2000 7:56 am

Western Pacific was based at Colorado Springs, and began service around 1993, and like the others said they went out of business in 1997. Western Pacific just simply overexpanded in a market that wasn't really ready to support a hub carrier, like WestPac was going to be. They were trying to do to Colorado Springs what Frontier did to Denver. The difference, though, was that Denver was ready, and wanted, to support a low fare carrier with its HQ in the city. The exact opposite was the case in COS.

sn330

AFa340-300E
Topic Author

WestPac Network

Sun Sep 03, 2000 3:13 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the answers!

What kind of network did they have please?

COS-SEA
COS-MIA
COS-SAN
COS-EWR

What else please?

BTW, anyone would have an idea of the price a company would have to pay to get its ad on an aircraft, with say Southwest Airlines for a month?

Thank you,

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

Tom in NO

Mon Sep 04, 2000 4:53 am

I have a WestPac dated November 16 of 1997, after they moved their hub to Denver. At that time, they flew DEN nonstop to SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, SAN, EWR, MDW, IAD, DFW, ATL, and MCO. They also had a feeder line called Mountain Air Express that flew to MCI, TUL, OKC, Steamboat, Aspen, and Gunnison CO.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

AirT85

Mon Sep 04, 2000 5:32 am

Actually, COS was more hten ready to support a low-fare carrier hubbed there. There load factor in 1997 was around 60% not too shabby. There problem was serving 23 cities throughout the US with only 17 aircraft. This meant very little routes with more then one frequency. They became an inconvenient airline for many business travellers. Had they kept there city pairs to a minimum and focused on frequency and service, they might still be around. The DEN hub was a complete disaster, i thing WestPac would still be here had they been in COS.
-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

Matt D

Mon Sep 04, 2000 9:29 am

Just my little interjection here:

1. I have a complete set of every timetable they ever put out, from the very first one in April of 1995 to the one that was in effect until they shut down in Feb of 1998. I also have copies of the timetable that Frontier put out announcing the proposed merger. All are safely tucked away, and I'm thinking e-bay in a few years!!!!!!!!

2. AirT85: You are right on the money as far as having too many cities and too few planes to fly them. Indeed not counting DEN/COS, the only cities that DIDN'T have one flight a day were LAX, SFO, PHX, and LAS.*
* EWR, and MDW did, for awhile have 2 daily flights, but the scheds were dropped to 1.
3. WestPac was doomed the minute ol' Beauvis got the boot, and Peiser came in.
He reportedly hated the LogoJets, and seemed to have only one mission in mind: to run WestPac into the ground, which he did a fantastic job of doing.
4. Had WestPac not been moved to DEN, and eliminated some cities, or increased their fleet, they WOULD still be around.

wyorca

Mon Sep 04, 2000 9:51 am

Back in 1997 I flew Westpac from DEN to MCI on the Simpson's 737. The return trip was a code share with Mountain Air Express in a Do-328. Wheather was real bad and we were the last plane into DIA. It seems that the materminds that came up with DIA's runway system, allowing simultaineous ILS approaches, were disconnected with the fools that built pena boulivard (DIA's only way in and out), and although aircraft could get into the airport, passengers and flight crews couldn't! Thats progress for you, but at least it got pena a job with clinton.
Anyhow it was quite a treat to get to ride a Do-328 for what is typicaly a long distance for a turboprop. Although several of the passengers were quite surprised when it pulled up to the gate (they were expecting a jet). The Do-328 was without a doubt, the nicest turboprop I've flown in and I have to say that the flight crews on both Westpac and Mountain Air Express were extreemly nice and friendly, joking and trying to make the flight as enjoyable as possible for thier passengers.

AFa340-300E
Topic Author

Re: WestPac Network

Wed Sep 06, 2000 12:46 am

Hello,

I have found old news about the Western Pacific's Airline network (source: JustPlanes)

WESTERN PACIFIC made their schedule change announcement yesterday [Monday January 6, 1997].
Results : No new city's served, closing 4, 3 remain the same and all others are increased by 1 flight a day except San Diego, which gets 2
extra flights.
All is effective on February 2nd. Here you will find the complete details :

ATLANTA 1 to 2
CHICAGO Midway 2 to 3
DALLAS/Ft. Worth 2 to 3
HOUSTON 1
INDIANAPOLIS 1 to 2
KANSAS CITY 1 to 2
LAS VEGAS 3 to 0
LOS ANGELES 3 to 4
MIAMI 1
NASHVILLE 1 to 0
NEWARK 1 to 2
OKLAHOMA CITY 1 to 2
ONTARIO 1 to 0
ORLANDO 1 to 2
PHOENIX 3 to 4
PORTLAND 1
SAN ANTONIO 1 to 0
SAN DIEGO 1 to 3
SAN FRANSISCO 2 to 3
SEATTLE 1 to 2
TULSA 1 to 2
WASHINGTON Dulles 1 to 2

END QUOTE

Any comment please?
BTW, Houston is Hobby, isn’t it?

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

penguinflies

Wed Sep 06, 2000 8:27 pm

there are some good articles about Westpac.

If you look around the internet that is a website (www.trainbrain.com) which has an animated system route for westpac. Also there is a website that kept the Westpac website on its server. just use a large search engine like Northernlights or dogpile (something to that effect). Northen lights has a lot of documents that you can purchase or just skim. Also their stock symbol is WPAC or WPACQ if you search for that, you may be able to find financial statements from the SEC.

COS was very sucessful for WESTPAC as compared to DEN. I would like to see another airline come in and help out the tourism business there!

FrontierMan

Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:33 am

I have the last WEstpac timetable that was ever issued.
WestPac is a story of a company that was not patient, and because they did not use wise fiscal planning they ran themselves in the ground. WestPac was doing just fine in COS, but they weren't patient. Westpac did not have the highest profit margin, but they were making money. The MAX partnership was extremely wise due to the fact that many people wanted low fares to ski destinations. When COS decided to hire their "messiah" management they were doomed. The first thing the tem decided was that the load factors were too low, so they decided to move to Den. Now DEN was an extremely saturated market with Frontier and a very strong United. Now ontop of this they decided to keep COS. The whole scheme was like a moose charging a locomotive, daring but stupid. Through COS they decided to add a bunch of red-eye flights with normal pricing. This was possible, but there wan't ultra-low pricing to back it up. When WESTPAC started losing money they set the break even load factors very high to gain cash with lots of passengers, but it didn't work and the company folded. MAX was absorbed by Air Wisconsin and WestPac was split up into different things.

Thu Sep 07, 2000 12:00 pm

They flew into IAH not HOU. I remember when they moved to DEN that they came up with a new paint scheme to replace the logo jets. I believe they had graphical representation of the new scheme on their website. I flew on them quite a few times, they had cheap fares and the flight crew made up for no-frills with their humor. How could a guy that put AWA into bankruptcy run an airline successfully?