RJNUT

Transstates Squeeze Play

Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:43 am

There is some justice in this world as Trans States continues its shrinkage...no more DL connection in the northeast and they are under big pressure in STL with Chautauqua ..and just dropped west coast service and lost United contract iin ORD..where will it end? Not a good trend in this Regional era of huge growth

RE: Transstates Squeeze Play

Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:18 am

For Trans States? It will likely end in Chapter 11. They have a less-than-favorable reputation, and their only hope left as everyone who uses them picks up new carriers is to go out on their own. We all know they'll last for about a week like that.
TSA is dead, simply put. They've effectively alienated all who've flown on them before, and I pity those who have yet to fly on them. Years of poor service and miserable scheduling have finally caught up to them, and all that's left to do is head over to the local court and file for bankruptcy.

searpqx

Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:21 am

While I have no sympathy for Trans-States (having had to deal w/ them as one of the AS commuters in the California Market), don't sing their death song too quickly. Wasn't too long ago people were saying the same thing about MESA and look at 'em today. Of course MESA had some core strengths that I think TSA is missing, as well as far more capitol, but this industry is full of amazing comebacks.

Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:56 am

Searpqx, while I agree with you to some extent, TSA is missing most strengths of any type. I doubt if TSA will exist as an independent entity for more than another year or so, though it might be bought out by one of AA's regional affiliates (as they have a fleet of ATRs and ERJs), but only if AA Eagle wants to inherit TSA's underlying problems, which I sincerely doubt.
Mesa made an amazing comeback, and TWA is in the process of making oen right now. Mesa and TWA, however, had three things going for them when they started their huge turnarounds. Competent management, good reputations (overall), and good service. TSA's management has made some incredbily bad decisions lately (namely sitting back and letting DL and TW begin to phase them out), their repuation is much less than desirable, and their service, excuse the expression, sucks. I once spoke to someone who wouldn't have known the difference between AA and BA if their life depended on it, but they knew (and hated) TSA well enough.
So, Searpqx, though the potential is there, if in a very minimal way, for TSA to make a comeback, it probably won't happen. In all likelihood, TSA's planes will wind up in an AA Eagle affiliate fleet, their staff will scatter out to other airlines, and their management will be in the unemployment line.

747firstclass

Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:00 am

As they say what goes around comes around, could not happen to a more deserving group of people. Until they clear out of STL I will not be satisfied, but I am very plesaed at this latest devlopment.