AT
Topic Author

No Overhead Bins

Sun Sep 17, 2000 8:16 am

I've noticed on a lot of aircraft that in the First Class Cabin, there are no overhead bins in the center section.

Why is this? Don't first class passengers have larger baggage allowances and need more space? Or does the fact that there are much fewer seats in a first class layout eliminate the need for these extra bins.

Irrespective, the lack of them in the center definitely make the cabin look more spacious, especially on the widebodied Airbuses.

RE: No Overhead Bins

Sun Sep 17, 2000 8:31 am

I think the fact that there are fewer seats does cover the lack of center bin. And as to why there's no center bin... In the case of a 747, I'd guess that the cabin feels more spacious without it. On an A340, the number of seats in the center block may be low enough, that these pax can just share the bins on either side.

If the seats have footrests, the life jackets are probably beneath the center armrest, instead of beneath the individual seats. In that case, there may be more underseat space. Just a guess  

aspen1

RE: Stratiflier

Sun Sep 17, 2000 9:48 am

Usually in first and business class the seats have very little underseat storage space.

slawko

RE: Stratiflier

Sun Sep 17, 2000 10:49 am

They also have the small closets for the First/Business pax near the front of the cabin so some stuff can go in there.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

aa737

Sun Sep 17, 2000 12:36 pm

Usually in first and business class the seats have very little underseat storage space.

I have to disagree about the comment that there is very little underseat storage in biz class. I fly 3 or 4 long hual flights a year (mostly AA, BA) in biz, and they always have underseat storage. I can always fit my backpack with CDs, magazines and books easily under the seat. I can fit just as much as when I fly in coach.

AirCanadaMan

Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:16 pm

I fly executive first class on AirCanada, and usually in seat 1A. There are closets/cabinets for coats and large pieces of luggage, then the under seat storage for my backpack, or whatever light carry-on I have, I never use the overhead bins, whether it be an A320 from Calgary to Vancouver or an A340 from Toronto to Tokyo.

DL_Mech

Sun Sep 17, 2000 8:53 pm

At DL, we installed center overhead bins on the MD-11's when we removed International First Class and installed BusinessElite. It was really quite simple, as the whole assembly is held in place by quick release pins.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:09 am

look at the L1011! there are no center overhead baggage bins in the center section IN THE MAIN CABIN!

DL_Mech

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:38 am

All of Delta's L-1011-500's and L-1011-1/-250 ships 728-741 have center overhead bins.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Brick

Mon Sep 18, 2000 1:52 pm

Yep, Delta L-1011-500's do:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mark Abbott

When the DC-10's were first produced, they did not have the overhead bins in the center, but the airlines eventually installed them.

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos