BA
Topic Author

Do You Think Air France Will Come To Denver?

Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:52 am

Is Air France interested in Denver as a future route? I would think so since British Airways comes to Denver and since Lufhtansa is coming next year.
What do you think? What aircraft would they use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

deltairlines

RE: Do You Think Air France Will Come To Denver?

Mon Sep 18, 2000 1:09 am

I think it is possible they do a flight to DEN or PHX, but I would think they'd go to SLC first, with that being a Delta hub so they would be able to get feed for the flight.

Jeff

exusair

Mon Sep 18, 2000 2:47 am

The route is currently code shared with DL out of and back to ATL. I think it highly unlikely for the next few years that AF will fly to DEN since they do not connect with any of the DL hubs besides JFK and ATL. If AF does start new service to the US, expect CVG to be high on the list. This was the most profitable transatlantic route for Sabena during the Atlantic Excellence Alliance ( Delta, Austrian, Swissair, and Sabena.)

AFa340-300E

Spinetta Said They Could

Mon Sep 18, 2000 3:27 am

Hello,

EXUSAIR: CVG is already an Air France destination. They started the route with their own daily Boeing 767-300ER service this summer.

Air France's CEO had announced Denver is on Air France's list. And it was reported by the Denver Post as well (source: the city's represents who visited AF).
But they have some destinations with higher priority, and destinations where they want to consolidate by increasing frequencies.

Air France US Network
ATL, BOS, CVG, EWR, IAD, IAH, JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD, PHL, SFO

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

dia77

RE: Spinetta Said They Could

Mon Sep 18, 2000 4:27 am

I imagine that DFW is pretty high on AF's list. DEN would probably be next up. Even though SLC is a DL hub, DEN and PHX are well over double the size of SLC in population. SEA and DTW are also potential destinations.

blink182

RE: Spinetta Said They Could

Mon Sep 18, 2000 6:47 am

The DFW Board or Directors chairman lives right behind my house and he said that DFW and DTW are the next two US destinations AirFrance will serve. I believe the flight to DFW is coming anywhere from Spring-fall 2001.
I am not sure DEN is that high on AF's list. DFW is high because it is a large enough city and there is a lot of traffic on AA's flight to CDG from DFW, plus Delta has a hub here and AF passengers can connect.
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

BA
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2000 8:21 am

If this flight happens, when do you think it will start?
Would the flight be out of Orly (ORY) or Charles de Gaulle (CDG)?
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

dia77

Tue Sep 19, 2000 10:22 am

This flight wouldn't start for at least 2 or 3 years. It would definitely operate out of CDG.

Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:52 pm

DL has not for sure a major presence in Denver, although it is served many times a day from Atlanta or Cincinnati (even with B767 from ATL). So it cannot be a destination too high on the list for AF...Also, as far as leisures are concerned, Rocky mountains are not a very popular winter destinations from France (very expensive and we've got the Alpes...)...Canada is much cheaper in that respect...On the business side, I don't know how DEN fares, but BOS, New York, California, PHX, Texas are the major areas with links to France, economically for sure...

My 2FF worth of speech...

AFa340-300E

Denver-Paris Market

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:49 am

Hello,

There are quite a few French companies with activities in the Rocky Mountains, like Salomon (mainly related to ski industry, where other companies like Pomagalsky also have leading positions).

BOS-CDG is partly right about the leisure traffic for the winter season. But note that the Germans don't have many mountains and they simply don't go skiing much. And for them, the French, Swiss and Austrian Alpes are much cheaper as well.

The Denver route would obviously benefit from the traffic connecting on UAL. Even if Air France isn't a UAL partner: UAL may be interested in a non-stop DEN-CDG and the business O&D traffic.

About the airport: CDG anyway. That's where Air France's main hub is located (there's not any AF international flight at CDG anymore apart from the West Indies, and there's restriction for any flight longer than 5,000km (apart WI)).

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

avion

Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:08 am

Haha the swiss and austrian alps are cheaper. Every Coke in a restaurant costs about 6 Dollars and Accomodation starts at $500 per night and person. Those are 4 star hotels!

Avion