Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic To Start Luxury Service To JFK

Tue Sep 19, 2000 3:33 am

There are rumours flying around that Virgin have bought two green A320's in a 40 pax and 20 pax configuration for use on luxury services to JFK from LGW & STN
Any confirmation on that ?

Martin

airmale

RE: Virgin Atlantic To Start Luxury Service To JFK

Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:12 am

i know that Lufthansa were considering such a service using the A319CJ.
.....up there with the best!

Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:46 am

I saw the same in Aircraft Illustrated, and posted it here, though most thought it was unlikely. Who knows, without Concorde, it might be likely.

Tue Sep 19, 2000 10:31 am

It would not surpise me as some one thought about doing this and planning to do it next year and I think virgin will beat them and get all the money. I think BA will follow, if it works out. Laker tried to do this but it did not work!
Iain

Tue Sep 19, 2000 9:11 pm

Iainhol - Laker didn't try and do that - it was a group of ex Laker people led by an American lawyer called Randolph Fields that put together a paper airline called British Atlantic, which was going to fly LGW-JFK with DC10-30s with 150 seats. The CAA turned us down, and Randolph persuaded Richard Branson to get involved. Virgin Atlantic was born; and the rest is history!