EyeSky
Topic Author

Cubana Fleet Modernization

Tue Sep 19, 2000 5:11 am

Can anyone fill me in on the status of Cubana's fleet? They are still operating mostly Soviet-era aircraft. Their IL-62's are getting pretty old. I know they have leased A320's from TransAer, but am wondering if there have been any plans or announcements to modernize their fleet.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Axel Juengerich

sabenapilot

RE: Cubana Fleet Modernization

Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:37 am

Cubana leases/leased a DC-10 from AOM - Air Outre Mer for flights to Western Europe. This plane was involved in a runway overrun last year or so somewere in South America.

Also, they are talking about buying some A340s to replace the ageing IL-62s on long haul flights.
I don't know when this will happen, but whenever they replace those Iljushins, they will certainly turn to Airbus, since the USA is having an economical boycot against this small caribbean country trying to organise its economy in a different way the Americans would like to see it organised...

A330

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:06 am

How can Cubana finance a fleet renewal when the US still has this ludicrous embargo on Cuba?!
It is sad to see a beautiful country with the friendliest people and a genuine leader decay because some ignorant Americans still think that all communists want to destroy Washington... Sad, very sad indeed.

Cubana is one of the most interesting airlines nowadays, they have some genuine antique flying!!
(I would love to fly the IL62).

STOP THE US BAN ON CUBA.

Tino
Shiek!

wingman

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:21 am

Have you two ever been to Cuba? Cubans are indeed some of the friendliest people around. Get to know them and then ask them waht they think of their "genuine" leader Fidel. I won't share their comments with you as this would be second-hand information, but I suggest you go to Havana yourselves and find out the truth before you post your "objective" opinions.

Superfly

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:22 am

RE: A330

I agree! The embargo should be lifted! I am planning a trip to Cuba ASAP. I want to fly there Il-62 in to Havana. From what I understand, they only fly those to South America now. Has anyone you know flown on Cubana. Who services thease ageing jets?
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:25 am

Ok, before this gets like the thread on the US-UA merger update (don't bother to read it unless you're very interested in others opinions of George W Bush and Al gore and their respective campaigns), please stick to the topic. I'm speaking for myself, but I'm guessing that many share my desire to read about civil aviation and CLOSLEY related topics in this forum, period!

There are numerous other forums on the web to discuss political opinions and your views pro/con on the US Embargo (and to make sure there is no mistake, I'm not commenting for or against, so please don't try and read my political stance into this posting, because it isn't in here!).

Duane Ward
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

slawko

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:33 am

KOOL!!! I hate airbus, but seeing a CUBANA A340 would be kool, we get the A320 in YYZ all the time, but I do miss seeing the IL62, now the only airline that flies that bird into here is Air Ukraine.

Lets not Start a political debate folks, this is not the time or place, and this forum in general has begun to loose focus......
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Panther

Tue Sep 19, 2000 8:00 am

I flew Cubana about four years ago from Nassau to Havana. I truly remember how loud that An-26 was and on the ground at Nassau I had to take my shirt off inside the plane for it was so damn hot, no a/c on the airplane, once airborne it started to cool off. The service was nothing worth remembering, I guess thats good, for we often remeber bad things. Cubana now uses thier Yak 42 service to NAS, maybe I will try that sometime.
Click for large version

Photo © Andrew Abshier

Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:24 pm

Cubana Fleet Modernization? So they are finally moving up to the DC-3, eh?  

trintocan

Tue Sep 19, 2000 5:57 pm

That AOM DC-10 leased by Cubana overran the runway in Guatemala City while on a charter flight. It was taking Guatemalan university students home for Christmas last year.

I have an inflight magazine from Cubana which my mtoher gave me last year when she flew on it. The A320 is featured prominently in its pages. It would be good to see them modernize and expand their network in the region, perhaps become a major player.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

sccutler

CU's Fleet Image

Tue Sep 19, 2000 10:46 pm

You'll note that, on their web page, they emphasize (and have for a long time) the DC-10.

In addition, they have the labels on the IL and the AB reversed; freudian slip?

I have an old Delta brochure touting Delta service to la Habana (late 50s) with (I think) DC-7's? Very retro-chic!

I want to go to Havana to check out all the old cars.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

sabenapilot

Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:33 am

I did not make any political comment on this forum, apart from saying that Cubana can not buy Boeing planes because of the US trade embargo.

BTW- I have been to both Communist Cuba and the Dominican Republic (Capitalistic) and I can assure you that the standard of living for the local people is much higher in Cuba then on the Dominican Republic!
If it wouldn't be because of the embargo, Cuba would be even more a model state for South-America. Fortunately the European Union completely ignores the American embargo and its extraterritorial repression laws and since the E.U. is somewhat larger and more powerfull then Cuba, the USA keeps a low profile on this.

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE!

slawko

Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:55 am

Didn't CUBAN have DC8's at one point???

I remember reading that somewhere........

It's nice to go to cuba, because it has yet to experiance the total americanization of other places like Cancun and Acapulco. Even though there are strong Euproean and Canadian influences in the Cuban tourism industry but even these two factors are not to bad, and no really rude and annoying tourists.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Ilyushin96M

Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:58 am

I wonder if Cubana is looking at TU204s or IL96Ms, even though they are probably ready to be rid of all their Soviet airliners. I would think the purchase price, efficiency and performance of the new generation Russian airliners would make them quite suitable to Cubana's needs.

Superfly

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:18 am

Does anyone know how soon Cubana will replace there Soviet era jets?
I want to go to Cuba on a Soviet era jet before they all vanish.
The IL-62 is such a cool looking jet.
BTW, being and old car buff, seeing all those older cars would be cool to.  

Click for large version

Photo © Colin K. Work

Bring back the Concorde

slawko

Superfly

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:45 am

I looked at your profile and noticed that you were an american, so unless you have dual citizenship in Canada Europe, or virtually any other contry, you will not be able to go see those old cars. As an American your government has chosen to forbid you from travelling to Cuba, unless you are an ex-cuban citizen.

CactusA319

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:13 am

There are ways of going there while being American my friend....

My girlfriend of Meixcan-American descent (US citizen) went to Cuba via NAS 3 years ago for a youth festival/conference. She hasn't had any problems about it and plans on going back.

Cacti

EyeSky
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:31 am

Slawko,

Cubana leased a DC-8 from Air Canada in the mid to late 70's.

Click for large version

Photo © Pierre Langlois

Superfly

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:37 am

RE: Slawko

My government has there head up there ass in terms of foreign policy, and the whole world knows it!
I know that there are ways for us to get to Cuba. My cousin went with his church.
Bring back the Concorde

USAirways737

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:41 am

Couldn't they just give money to some company to buy Boeing planes (if that is what they wanted) for them?

avion

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:44 am

Well Cuba isnt that romantic place it used to be. Varadero closely resembles Cancun and on the Airport you can see loads of charters arriving from Europe! Iberia flies a daily 747 to Havana.

I cant see that Cubana will in the near future buy any new Airbuses. They cant afford them! And i think Cubana already has competition from Aerogaviota.

Avion

CactusA319

Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:00 am

Aerogaviota? Are you kidding? They're basically a small charter airline. Cubana is the national airline/flag carrier, aren't they government owned and operated?

Cacti

CactusA319

Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:00 am

Aerogaviota? Are you kidding? They're basically a small charter airline. Cubana is the national airline/flag carrier, aren't they government owned and operated?

Cacti

slawko

Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:57 am

Sorry you are right, I remember hearing a story from one person who went to cuba via another country, and in Cuba customs did not stamp his passport so that no one would know that they had gone Cuba. Very Interesting.

Regarding another company buying Boeings for CUBANA, no they could not do that, because any company that does business with Cuba A) Can no longer do business in the US, and B) the companies CEO and their family are barred from entering the US. This was a big issue in Canada about two years ago, I think that since then those rules have been lightened, but they are still outrageous, who is the US to tell my company who I can and Can;t do business with!

RayChuang

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:50 am

I'm going to watch with great interest what kind of planes Cubana needs to upgrade their fleet in the future (especially if the US embargo is lifted).

My guess is that they may buy a mix of the following Airbus models:

A319/A320/A321--Cuban domestic flights, plus flights to most of southeastern USA and other points in the Caribbean.

A330-200--flights to South America and also most of the transcontinental USA and Canada.

A340-600--flights to Europe.

PeterPan

Wed Sep 20, 2000 11:14 am

Aerogaviota competition?
Remember that Cuba is Communist. All airlines are state owned. Cubana is the national airline. Then you have aerogaviota, aerocaribbean, and aero taxi.