N312RC
Topic Author

What Ever Happened To Cab?

Tue Sep 19, 2000 8:57 am

What ever happened to CAB, anyway?? Do airlines still have to go to them to get authority to fly a new route. Or can an airline just take a 757 and start service from, lets say, DTW-OAK without asking?? So, what ever happened to CAB, is there any regulation what so ever??
N/A

Tom in NO

RE: What Ever Happened To Cab?

Tue Sep 19, 2000 9:01 am

The Deregulation Act of 1978 included a provision that the CAB be disbanded. That actually occurred on January 1 of 1980 or 81 (I believe).

Airlines can go wherever they want to, as long as airports have facilities to lease them.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

P.S. You could devote a lot of space on this forum to the effects of deregulation on the US airline Industry. If you ask me, it's what put BN, NA, OZ, PS, OC, etc out of business.
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Tan Flyr

RE: What Ever Happened To Cab?

Tue Sep 19, 2000 10:33 pm

Deregulation did not put these historical carriers out of business, POOR business decisions of all types did. Failure to compete effectively among others. Selling out to corporate raiders is another. A whole other forum would be need to discuss why you would need to sell out.
Sorry, if I digressed a bit.