BH346
Topic Author

How Is Southwest?

Wed Sep 20, 2000 12:06 pm

I will be on my first Southwest flight soon. I am wondering what your opinion of this airline is and what I should expect. Also, this airline does some things differently, and maybe some helpful tips. I will be on a 737-700 and a 737-200. Will there be club seating on the 737-200? How's the rear-facing seats? Should I be an aviation enthusiast and sit behind the engine on a rear-facing seat  ? I'm really looking foward to it!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

goingboeing

RE: How Is Southwest?

Wed Sep 20, 2000 12:36 pm

The 700 will not have club seating, but the 200 most likely will. THe rear facing seats have one drawback - they don't recline, so they can be uncomfortable for longer flights. If you're travelling with a group though, they're great. If your an aviation nut, go for the rear facing seat...at least you can say you did it since the seats are being phased out.

Get to the airport an hour prior to departure to get in the first boarding group. Seats are not assigned. Sometimes the FA's can be quite funny. Enjoy your flight.

Wed Sep 20, 2000 12:44 pm

A -200 AND a -700? Lucky....

BH346
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2000 6:50 am

Thanks for the replies. This is the first time I'm actually looking forward to a 737-200 ride because of the club seating. I wonder what it's gonna be like. I guess I'm pretty lucky to go on a 737-700 and a -200 on the same route. How old are Southwest's 737-200's? Thanks in Advance.

BH346

Thu Sep 21, 2000 6:54 am

Southwest is great!! Nice crew and FA's, on-time flights.

I was recently on an SWA 737-200 and it was great!! I haven't been on the SWA 737-700, but I bet it is better.

We're Nuts, how did I know that you were going to reply to this one??

LOLOLOOLOLOLOL!

Once again, you will have a great time with SWA, don't listen to people say SWA is bad, it is a really good airline, one of my favorites!

Rgds,

B744

fanoftristars

Thu Sep 21, 2000 7:17 am

Be prepared for the "cattle call" boarding procedure, but other than that, SWA is a lot of fun. The flight attendents are really funny and usually upbeat. Last flight on take off, a texas based Flight Attendent came over the intercom and said, "Y'all make sure yer seat belts are fastened, we're 'bout to blast off!!!" When we landed, just as the pilot stowed the speed brakes and the reverse thrusters she came on again and said "Woaaaaaaaaooo, now wasn't that fun. Welcome y'all to SLC. Now make sure y'all stay in yer seats till the Capt pulls this rig up to the gate, sets the parking break and turns that little seat belt sign off." Everyone on the plane was laughing. Every SWA flight that I have been on has been within 5 min of being on time. It is amazing how that airline works like clockwork with their fleet of 73s. Does anyone know how many airplanes they have now?
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Thu Sep 21, 2000 7:26 am

I love the comedy on SWA, it's great!!

The pilots and FA's are very nice. One time, we were stopped in El Paso to refuel for a flight to Phoenix. My family and I were the only ones on the plane, as everyone else was going to El Paso. Before the next people came on, I went up to the cockpit and asked the FA to see. She was very pleased to let me in and she told the captain, "We have a new pilot today for us to go Phoenix." LOL!

Anyway, the captain goes, "Well, I need to get up and stretch, why don't you fly us?" LOL

The captain then told me to go have a seat. He then joined me, he sat down in the co-pilot's seat (the co-pilot got off) and started talking with me about the plane and the controls. I named and described everything that I could and the pilot says to the FA, "I guess he can fly us there, alright!". LOL!

He let me push the throttles around and hit some switches and stuff. Pilots are always very cool on SWA!!

Best Regards,

B744

Thu Sep 21, 2000 7:50 am

Is it true that with Southwest you don't get an assigned seat when you purchase your ticket? You are given a pass with a number indicating when you can board the plane and grab the next best available seat?

Thu Sep 21, 2000 7:57 am

That's right Tedski.

Thu Sep 21, 2000 8:12 am

I wanna go on a -200!!!!! I don't have much time left... when are they leaving the fleet?  

BH346
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2000 9:15 am

We're Nuts: I don't know, but there are only 34 left in their fleet.
Thanks for the replies I feel lucky to get there on one of Southwest's new planes and come back on a classic.      
Be sure to watch for my trip report soon!

Thanks

BH346

fjnovak1

Thu Sep 21, 2000 1:06 pm

For whoever asked how many planes are in the Southwest fleet, they will take delivery of their 334th and 335th 737s (-700s of course) by the end of the month....just in time for new Buffalo service, followed by West Palm Beach introduction and then a major service expansion for Baltimore (BWI) since they just got three or four new gates....
Go Blue!!

N47952

Thu Sep 21, 2000 1:55 pm

I persaonally dislike SouthWest and their style. Everything about them from boarding procedure to the rear facing seats is screwed up. Infact the only reason I had to fly on them was because I was unable to catch my Alaska Flight.

goingboeing

Thu Sep 21, 2000 8:40 pm

<< Infact the only reason I had to fly on them was because I was unable to catch my Alaska Flight. >>

Sorry you missed your Alaska flight. Next time, maybe it would be worthwhile to spend the night to catch the Alaska flight the next day. Question though N47952 - did you have a refundable ticket on Alaska, or was it a nonrefundable?

fanoftristars

Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:51 am

Speaking of Southwest's fleet, will they ever fly the 738 or 739 on their more dense routes? It seems like some of their routes are already saturated with SWA flights and another could not be added.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

ABQ757

Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:55 am

Great airline, the -700's are great, i flew on N729SW to MCO and N700GS back to ABQ from MCO. Hopefully you get New Mexico One on your -700 flight. I want to try the rear facing seat once, i better hurry though.

Gabe

EyeSky

Fri Sep 22, 2000 4:46 am

BH346,

I fly SWA quite often between SEA, GEG and PDX. The SEA-GEG flight is 50 minutes - GEG-PDX is 55 minutes. While I enjoy Alaska and Horizon on these same routes, you just cant beat SWA when it comes to schedule and cost.

I really enjoy the fact that SWA gives you what they advertise, no frills, get you there air travel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. You board the plane when your group of 30 is called, it takes off, and you arrive (usually on time). In between you get a couple of bags of peanuts and 1/2 cup of pop.

The gate agents, ticket agents and FA's all generally have pretty good attitudes and make for a pleasant flight experience.

I would recommend getting to the boarding gate about 1 hour and 15 minutes early and get in line so you can be in the first boarding group (beware of late gate changes though). If you are on an originating flight and you're in the first boarding group you can get just about any seat you want. I enjoy the club seating on the -200's and the overwing exit row seating on the -700's.

If you're on a longer flight I'd recommend packing some food and beverage along with you. Don't check a bag unless you absolutely have to but don't be a bin hog either.

Before the "Southwest Effect" it used to cost nearly $300 to fly round trip from SEA to GEG on NWA and Alaska. NWA has since dropped the route and most of Alaska's services are operated by Horizon (which uses F-28-4000's and DHC-8's) although they still operate a couple of flights using 733's 738's and M80's.

Nowadays you can get a 2 week advance purchase fare for $49 each way. Sure beats 5 hours on I-90!

Enjoy your flight!

Charles802

Fri Sep 22, 2000 7:24 am

Southwest is definitely the most reliable US airline (probably major or regional). They had 99.5% schedule completion in July. Southwest has frequent, short-delays, but I've only once had a WN flight delayed over 30 minutes. Just make sure you get to the airport EARLY and be prepared to stand in line for a while.

Southwest 73Gs have a 33 inch seat pitch so I understand, and there is no lounge seating. The 735s also seem to be pretty roomy, but the 733s which still form the bulk of their fleet have a 31 inch pitch (I don't know about the 737-200s).

dvk

Fri Sep 22, 2000 10:36 am

My favorite WN flight attendant quote:

"Y'all be careful opening the overhead bins because, remember, shift happens!"
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

iflycoach

The Cattle Car Boarding

Fri Sep 22, 2000 10:45 am

Ya know I think somthing was really wrong becuase when we were at PHX heading for HOB (Houston Hobbies Abrev. I Think) we were all in a LINE!!!!!!
I am not joking we had a line that went from the counter strait back beside the window to a little before the next gate! Ah well must have been one of those once in a blue moon things.

BTW: If it happens again I will get a picture of it!