AWA In Raleigh-Durham?

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:07 pm

Hi,

Last week-end I was at RDU and I saw that America West Airlines had been added to the list of airlines operating from terminal A. I didn't hear anywhere that AWA was coming to RDU and the airport's website does not mention anything about it. Also there is no AWA gate in terminal one and I have never seen one of their aircraft while spotting. Does anyone know if AWA plans on serving RDU anytime soon?
Thanks!

mls737

ncflyer

RE: AWA In Raleigh-Durham?

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:25 pm

If I'm not mistaken, AWA used to code share, or still code shares with CO on some flights. They must code share with CO here at RDU, or at least they did at one time. Cause I know that you won't see any AWA livery here on a regular basis anytime soon-- no flights to Columbus, Phoenix, or Las Vegas from here. And nothing's been announced in the media, either.

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:58 pm

Hey ncflyer,

I was just wondering about that and it seemed suspicious to me that AWA was added to the list of airlines serving terminal A if they only codeshare with CO... Let see, Air France codeshares with Delta from Atlanta (and maybe other delta hubs) to RDU and they are not in the list of airlines serving RDU. Swissair codeshares with American on the JFK-RDU route but is not on the list either. That's why I was really surprised to see them there! Anyway I know that terminal A is being expanded and so I was wondering if AWA had some plans to come to RDU (maybe to compete with USairways on the RDU-Phoenix route, unless US is the one codesharing with AWA on this route)...
Anyway thanks for your comments ncflyer!

mls737

ncflyer

Thu Sep 21, 2000 1:31 am

It is a bit of a double standard, isn't it?? I never noticed if KLM is listed with NW in the signage.

Thu Sep 21, 2000 2:14 am

I think it's self-aggrandizing on the part of RDU airport officials. SJC does it too. "Lufthansa" appears on some signage, though they have no flights. Just code-shares with United. It's so stupid. With so many alliances going on I bet they could list at least five more airlines that supposedly "serve" the airport.

Golfhaus

Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:09 am

Hey, maybe if it's a commuter flight that's codesharing, they can list three airlines for one flight!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos