northwest 777

Virgin Atlantic To Australia?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 2:54 am

With the addition of Virgin Blue in Australia and the recent investment from Singapore Airlines, does this mean that soon Virgin Atlanitc might start flying service to Australia with a stop in Singapore? It seems logical enough to me. Also, what kind of plane would be most logical for that flight; A340 or 744.

I'm also looking to find out if a rumor I heard about Virgin possibly ordering 777s is true so if anyone has heard anything about that I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

philb

RE: Virgin Atlantic To Australia?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:11 am

Virgin and Australia would be nice but they already have a code share with MAS over Kuala Lumpur, a tie up with Ansett over HKG and are 49% owned by Singapore.

It probably will happen, but the context will have to fall within the UK/Australia agreements.

As far as equipment is concerned, either type would be fine and the A3XX would be ideal (in "Backpacker fit" )

As far as the B777 situation is concerned, Virgin did place returnable deposits on a small number of delivery positions (two I think) and then gave a questionnaire to passengers about big twins over water.

The resulting 80%+ request NOT to use twins was amajor factor in Virgin selling on those positions and ordering A340-600s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos