Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:02 am

Why did DL keep JFK when they purchased the routes from PanAm? If I were them, I would have just transferred all of the flights to ATL to create the world's largest superhub. How many transatlantic gateways do they need. With the addition of Boston, they'll have a total of four.

Also, what domestic flights do they operate out of JFK? WHat a/c? How many frequencies?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:22 am

DL has already reduced its number of transatlantic gateways with the closure of its European services out of DFW, LAX, IAD and MCO a couple of ears ago.

For now, JFK is by far their most important european gateway, and the domestic flights they operate in and out of JFK are to be regarded largely as feeder flights for their international services.

That's why you'll find activity at DL's JFK terminal almost non-existent in the early hours of the day, stepping up in the afternoon with the arrival of european and domestic flights, followed by a departure bank of domstic flights around 6 pm. Its international departures are spread out between 5.30pm and 8.30pm.

Sun Sep 24, 2000 9:24 am

DL operates 4 flts to LAX daily with 767-300er aircraft, as well as 2 or 3 to SFO and 1 or 2 to SAN with these aircraft. The aircraft features the int'l business class seats with a nearly identical international type service. PAssengers in business get free access to lounges at all of these airports as well as concierge service. In addition, there are flights to PHX, MEX, LAS, ATL, ORD, MCO and FLL with DL Express, ATL, CVG, DEN, DCA, BOS, PHL, BDL, SEA, PDX with one stop service to NRT, DFW. These are just the domestic routes, they also have a fairly extensive transatlantic route structure from JFK.

Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:10 am

DL is still pretty large at JFK, they are the airport's number 2 carrier (AA is 1 and TW is 3). They fly over 4.5 million passangers a year from JFK and 1.978 million of those are international passangers. I think they fly non-stop to DFW, but I could be wrong. I know pretty soon they'll have some Asian non-stops, probably April 2001 once those they switch them over from PDX. Their European flights are to almost all the major Western European capitals except London and some others in Scandanavia.