Why Was United So Cheap?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 6:37 am

This really bugs me: When United ordered their two class 777's, they omitted the in-seat video that every other airlines 777's have. Why? Lame desicion...Lame Lame Lame...

Anyone know about BA's two class 777's?

Also, what other airline besides UAL has PTV's on their international 767-300's? Or PTV's on a 767 at all?

ILUV767

RE: Why Was United So Cheap?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 4:07 pm

ALL international planes. Those 2 class planes are short hopping from SFO-DEN. PTV's are expencive and pointless for that flight.

Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:50 am

They're not short hopping when they fly from the west coast to Hawaii and from ORD-HNL.....

Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:56 am

PTV's are highly overrated and on domestic runs show little more than an endless stream of commercial advertisments anyway.

ILUV767

Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:58 am

Those are vacation trips. People are going on millage. Those pax want to get to Hawaii. PTV's cost a lot. They are a pain in the ass to fix, when they break. The Hawaii market dosn't need them.
They arn't making that much $$ on the Hawaiian trips as thy do on the Europe trips. Most of the people are on miles. So a lot of them ae going for free, and why should you spend more, when you arn't collecting that much?

Mon Sep 25, 2000 4:03 am

ILUV767 hit it right on the money. Why waste money and resources equipping PTVs on aircraft that will carry passengers that don't have the expectations for that kind of service?

It's called COST EFFECTIVENESS.

Pat

Mon Sep 25, 2000 4:11 am

I have the expectations for that kind of service...and who says the people traveling for 5-9 hours don't? Just becuase they may be travelling on mileage?

Mon Sep 25, 2000 6:23 am

Would really like to know why Hawaii is considered a low yeild market. It takes several thousand dollars in paid tickets before you get the token trip to HNL or some other bug infested island. I expect the same service on a mileage ticket as I get on a paid ticket. Where did we get the mentality that frequent filier tickets are free? Where are you guys getting all the miles in your account without flying your but off first?

Mon Sep 25, 2000 6:26 am

>>>Would really like to know why Hawaii is considered a low yeild market. It takes several thousand dollars in paid tickets before you get the token trip to HNL or some other bug infested island. I expect the same service on a mileage ticket as I get on a paid ticket. Where did we get the mentality that frequent filier tickets are free? Where are you guys getting all the miles in your account without flying your but off first?
<<<

It Costs tens of thousands of dollars to run a widebody to HNL, KOA, etc, money which the airline will never see. Of course its more than made up by other flights in the network, otherwise would the airlines fly to Hawaii?

teahan

Mon Sep 25, 2000 6:39 am

I agree with OKforall! Hawaii tickest are not free if you are paqing for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Mon Sep 25, 2000 6:43 am

I guess that they want to create a "low fare" airline.  

Mon Sep 25, 2000 6:53 am

Of course airlines would still fly to Hawaii, you know the residents of the state need to trave too you know...as well as people who do business there.

Okforall

Mon Sep 25, 2000 7:36 am

Okforall wrote:
I expect the same service on a mileage ticket as I get on a paid ticket.
------------------------

Dead wrong. You might think you expect the same kind of service, but you've missed a basic rule of economics. The truth is you are so happy to be getting a free ticket that you don't care about having a PTV enough to buy a ticket on another carrier that happens to offer PTVs on its aircraft to Hawaii.

Expectations of service go down as price go down.

United is doing it right by not equipping domestic 777s with PTVs. There's no need for them and there's no demand for them.

Pat

ILUV767

Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:35 am

You said it AirCanadaSFO!

A few points to add:
- They fly you there
- You get a vacation
- You get fed
- You get drinks
- You get a free movie (free on UAL)
- You get a ride in a 777

So live with it! People that go to and from Hawaii are there on vacation! They are not going for the plane ride. They are going for the beaches, and the surfing, and the over priced food!  

Always fly U N I T E D to Hawaii, and relax at the beach!

Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:42 am

IFE is very annoying on domestic flights.

One commercial after another and if its not that, its 10,000 shamless promos for the airline. I mean, you're already on board...how much more enticement to you need to fly the friendly skies...[Rhapsody in Blue playing off somewhere in background]

Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:54 am

OOoooo...I get to ride in a 777...ahhhhhhh

Hey did United convince my boss let me have my vacation? Man they have pull.....thanks UA!

I don't know anyone who flies *just* for the plane ride (except that kid who flew to Switzerland and back without staying, for his birthday   )

Hey why don't we just remove in seat video from ALL flights..no wait..those business travelers NEED it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos