jm-airbus320

Which Is The Best Of The Three...AA/UAL Or Delta?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 7:55 am

An interesting discussion on the airline that has the most comfortable flights, pleasant staff ,best ontime performance and destination choices was brought up last night. It all came down to the above mentioned three ............American, United and Delta.It was heated but to be honest there was no clear winner.Who do you think is the best of the three based on service, equiptment and dependability? Please give the order which you think is best. If you think there should be another carrier there please let me know which one it should be. (It should be great to hear some of the responses)

D L X

RE: Which Is The Best Of The Three...AA/UAL Or Delta?

Sun Sep 24, 2000 7:59 am

The answer is which one you like most, that takes you where you want to go. I am a real US Airways fan, but now that I live out on the west coast, they're not going to do me much good. There is simply no best airline.

Sun Sep 24, 2000 8:56 am

I think the order goes American-Delta-United. i've never flown United but I've heard bad things about them. American was awesome on the flight and so was Delta.
So theres my opinion!!!

Matt

Sun Sep 24, 2000 8:57 am

I think the order goes American-Delta-United. i've never flown United but I've heard bad things about them. American was awesome on the flight and so was Delta.
So theres my opinion!!!

Matt

Peter

Sun Sep 24, 2000 9:18 am

I think that Delta is the best. I've always had great flights with them.

LordOfTheFlys

Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:08 am

I gota say Delta but that is a biased answer seeing as I have only flown on Delta the 21 years I have been alive. Well technically Western, and then Delta once they bought them out. I still have some playing cards from Western.  

The longest delay I have had on a flight was 1hour 30 min, never had an emergency, a "mean" F/A...nothing. Although I dislike the omlets they serve for Breakfast (nasty ass eggs, choose the Special K cereal instead) and the movies aren't the best, but they keep telling me they are not allowed to show "Showgirls" in flight so I guess I'm out of luck.   21 years of service without a hitch ain't too bad in my book.

BA

Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:35 am

I think United is the best, but thats just my opinion.

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

seven_fifty7

Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:40 am

United, American, DL.

However I can easily tell you what the rest of the rankings & responses will be from some of our more predictable forum members:

Delta-- "it's the world's greatest airline" mantra.

American-- "Oh, those beautiful silver birds just do it for me!"

United-- "They cancelled my Aunt Sally's flight last summer! Or, "...just check out untied.com!"

Hmmmm... Maybe I should become a psychic.

txagkuwait

Sun Sep 24, 2000 11:57 am

I have to go with American as the best of the 3. I fly a fair amount...maybe 6-8 trips a month.

Right now I'd say 1/2 (or maybe a little more) of my travel is on WN, 1/3 on AA, and 1/6 on CO.

I have flown DL and UA both quite a bit in the past but have just lost any regard I have for their product. It's just not worth the unpleasantness.

I do think it sort of funny that nobody ever mentions WN. In terms of domestic passengers they have clawed their way up to #2 behind DL and ahead of AA and UA.

blink182

Mon Sep 25, 2000 4:16 am

United sucks, so does Delta and Southwest(on longer flights) (I have flown all 3) but I fly AA more and will keep doing so, AA is the model airline for all airlines to follow,I have never had a bad experience with them.
just my opinion  
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Mon Sep 25, 2000 4:36 am

One thing I like about United is that on their 737s they give you about 2 feet of legroom vs. the other carriers if you are over 6 ft tall your knees touch the seat in front of you.

tomindc

Mon Sep 25, 2000 5:16 am

I think it depends upon when you ask --- I've been "premiere, or gold, or silver" on all three, at different times. At the moment, I think AA has the edge, especially with the increased room in coach. For years (growing up in AL, what would you expect?) I was totally DL, but I think they've suffered seriously in the past few years --- not to mention "years" spent on the ground in ATL (not to mention the same for CO at Newark). Right now, I'm AA !!

FlyPNS1

Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:34 am

They are all pretty much the same. Same levels of service, same delays and similar fare structure. Everyone on this board spends so much time saying which one is better than the other when in reality they are all about the same. Sure anybody can have a bad experience on any airline at any given time. But if you were to fly AA a 1000 times, UA a 1000 times and DL a 1000 times, they'd all blur together because they are all so similar.

ILUV767

RE: Which Is The Best Of The Three...AA/UAL Or Del

Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:55 am

U N I T E D

AerLingus

Mon Sep 25, 2000 10:43 am

AA.
Good pilots, FAs, planes, cities and they are the only ones who can fly an MD-80 into FAT for the last 20 years, make a profit and not pull out!
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

DeltaRNOmd-80

Mon Sep 25, 2000 1:03 pm

Delta-United-American

Never flown AA. I flew Delta and United this summer. On the 2 segments I flew with each of them (4 total), the two 757's were both dirty but the md-90 and A320 were fairly clean. (DL md-90 and 757, UA A320 and 757). I have to say I enjoyed DL food better, I had breakfast and a snack on DL and breakfast and lunch on UA. Basically the same thing for breakfast, but UA served a hamburger wrapped in foil for lunch, it didnt taste like hamburger tho, but it was edible. It filled me up better than the snack mix on DL but I thought the DL snack mix was better tasting   Had to wait 5 minutes in DFW with DL to pull into gate because it was occupied, had to wait 15 minutes in DEN because gate was occupied. So overall I like Delta better.

Charles802

Mon Sep 25, 2000 5:36 pm

In terms of catering and seat comfort, American is the best. However, I would have to say that UA has the edge on in-flight entertainment, and DL has a slight edge on operational performance over AA (obviously over UA).

Overall, I would say AA, DL, UA

I prefer AA because of their partnerships, and the in-flight experience. Any airline can have delays/lost luggage, so as long as an airline is "average" in that catagory, I'll choose by considering other factors.

EIPremier

Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:07 am

American has the friendliest staff, plus the OneStop curbside check-in. They are very punctual, have excellent maintenance, and they can't be beat for legroom.

While United has lots of great employees, they still have problems and delays. I give UA points for its in-flight service (which has declined too, but is still decent on non-Shuttle routes), and the free headphones/Channel 9.

aspen1

RE: Which Is The Best Of The Three...AA/UAL Or Del

Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:06 am

I have flown on both United and delta in the last year. I flew to spain from los angeles on delta in coach and the service sucked, the food sucked and i was rather disappointed compared to united's international service.

I flew delta to new york in business eleit and that is alot better than united's business class.

First class go with united
Business go with delta
Coach go with united

I have not been on aa this year so i cant judge aa

AA@DFW

Wed Sep 27, 2000 1:17 pm

I would say:

1. American
2. Delta
3. United

American has a great edge on the competion with the More Legroom campaign, expanding service, new aircraft, new interiors, new seats... etc.

Also, the new Flagship Suite is really amazing. Had one on a recent leg between DFW/ORD. Very very nice. The flight attendants are always excellent. The friendliest staff of any airline.

Delta is also good -- Business Elite is great. They have great performance and good staff as well.

United, well, they just suck. They can not keep their employees happy, they can not keep their planes in the air (and the ones they do manage to get in the air can't make it on time --- ever!), they can not keep their customers happy... you get the idea.

UAL-Fan

Wed Sep 27, 2000 3:35 pm

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/0009ATCR.htm

Here is the official ranking. UAL pretty much at the bottom of the pile right now.

Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:49 am

I travel both oceans...so UAL is the only one that covers Europe and the Pacific. It is still my carrier of choice even though my company books BA and AA for the discounts.

Business Class on United is great!

Tan Flyr

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:44 am

As a fairly well seasoned flyer over the last 20 yrs(avg 44,000 mi. per year), I place my chips in this order:
1.AA
2.DL
3.UA
Most of the other threads on this one have listed various reasons, however, AA is the most consistent, day in & day out.
To clarify one post above, AA has served FAT since June 1990. And yes, they are the only ones with traditional jet transport service at FAT. RJ's fill to SLC,SEA,PHX, And soon DEN.(RJ's will soon be "traditional!" for many cities)

deltairlines

Thu Sep 28, 2000 5:21 am

Delta, (Continental), American, United

I also fly a lot each year, and am medallion on Delta. From where I live (Boston), Delta serves the most. They have flights every hour to LGA, every other hour to DCA, every hour to ATL, and regular flights to CVG, DFW, and the LAX flights. Also, they will be starting service on the BOS-London route in June, and when they entered BOS-LAX, prices dropped considerably on AA and UA.

Jeff

vlbrowser

Thu Sep 28, 2000 6:42 am

United, Delta, Continental, Southwest, American

United cuse they serve the best to me cuse they they're the cheapest besides Southwest, anc cuse they're airline is not progress to one side ot the nation unlike CO. And besides, AA is really dumb cuse they cost my mom almost 200 dollars more from MCI-SFO. And Southwest is better than AA becuse they took over America West flight of 96 ppl just so they could get to MCI since the flight from PHX was cancelled.

Thu Sep 28, 2000 6:45 am

United

United

United

United

RWally

Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:15 am

I believe they should go in this order:

1. American Airlines
2. Delta Air Lines
3. United Airlines

AA has the best overall performance. Delta is close behind. UAL is always late, and everyone that works for them is rude.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos