Brandon
Topic Author

How'd they do that?

Sat Mar 13, 1999 1:35 am

As soon as I can go to the Salt Lake City airport again I'm going to do a little aviation photography of my own. But where did the guys on Airliners.net get permission to stand out there on the ramp to take photos. The most I'll be able to do is take a pic through the terminal window. And how did they get permission to enter the cockpits, most airlines don't allow that.

mirage

RE: How'd they do that?

Sat Mar 13, 1999 3:50 am

Here in Faro airport, if you make a request by letter to airport Director, there are good chances of gaining permission to go to the ramp shoot photos.
Try to make the same to Salt Lake airport Director, you never now...

Mirage, Faro, Portugal

Sat Mar 13, 1999 3:56 am

They didn't necessarily get out on the ramp... some airports have places anyone can access that offer such good views. As for cockpit visits, it is only prohibited in the U.S.

JZ

Sat Mar 13, 1999 6:55 am

You can get cockpit visits if you ask the crew. I tried NW, AA, Hawaiian, DL; and haven't been refused yet. I usually do it when I leave the aircraft, instead of boarding to increase my chance. Also, I try to do it at terminal airports instead of at hub. This is because at hubs many times the pilots have to catch their next plane elsewhere and are less receptive to visits.

Sat Mar 13, 1999 6:57 am

You guys have that a little wrong. Cockpit photos can be easily and legally taken in the begining and end of every flight, when there is no work being done such as pushback. This reason is because as I hav heard, the pilots lost concentration of flying when a kid came in, and put people lives into their own hands.

Sat Mar 13, 1999 8:28 am

I have seen people use there cars to stand to see over the fence and then zoom in with a zoom lense!
About the cockpit shoots it is quite hard to get on board if you are not flying. I know some people who have managed to get me up there on an empty plane. But if the plane goes down then the question arises did you have anything to do with it.
Iain

Brandon
Topic Author

Why would a camera hurt a plane?

Sat Mar 13, 1999 10:36 am

Why in the world would a camera damage a plane? Even if you use a non-electronic camera? I have too many 35mm cameras with no flash, would those be allowed? I also have a great Olympus Infinity Super Zoom 300, and an autofocus Jazz 206 27mm. Both of these have a flash. Which one would be best for interior shots, and which one for outside?(Probably the Olypus)

RE: Why would a camera hurt a plane?

Sat Mar 13, 1999 11:27 am

The camera would not hurt the plane but you would be a suspect as they do not know what you did to the plane.
Iain

L-188

Lawyers Brandon Lawyers

Sun Mar 14, 1999 2:59 am

A mechanical camera just like you describe has about as much effect on the electronics in an airplane as one of the red balls with the wooden paddle and the rubberband. Unfortunatly the airline lawyers who right the rules figure it is just easier to ban them all then lay out the specific conditions and what consitutes a legal from an illigal camera.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.