cba

CO Named Top U.S.-Based Global Carrier

Thu Sep 28, 2000 7:54 am

FROM CONTINENTAL'S WEB SITE:

------------------------------------------------------
HOUSTON, Sept. 26, 2000 -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL and CAL.A) has been named the top U.S.-based global carrier in Fortune magazine’s "World’s Most Admired Companies" list. Continental ranked No. 3 overall in the Global Most Admired Airlines category published in the Oct. 2 issue.

Fifteen carriers were ranked in the Airline Industry list:
1. Singapore Airlines
2. Southwest Airlines
3. Continental Airlines
4. Lufthansa Group
5. UAL
6. American
7. British Airways
8. Delta Air Lines
9. KLM
10. Northwest Airlines
11. Japan Airlines
12. Swissair
13. All Nippon Airways
14. Air France Group
15. US Airways Group
-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.continental.com/dash/build_dash.asp?press_2000-09-26-01

RE: CO Named Top U.S.-Based Global Carrier

Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:09 am

GO U N I T E D!

GO C O N T I N E N T A L!

GO S I N G A P O R E!

GO A M E R I C A N!

GO D E L T A!

GO N O R T H W E S T!

ContinentalEWR

Thu Sep 28, 2000 11:57 am

Continental and TWA are a cut above their US-counterparts. Southwest has the winning
formula for profits, but it is a flying cattle-car
bus and epitomizes the worst thing about a
flight (crowds, peanuts, cramped planes).

Continental is probably not up to par with
some of the finessed Asian or European
Airlines, but for a US carrier, it is a damn
good one and an innovative one too.

The accolades and self-congratulatory
attitude of this airline are well deserved
given its near death state just five short
years ago.

GO Continental!

FlyBoeing

Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:37 pm

Go Gordon! Go Gordon!!!!!

imkeww

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:10 pm

I think this answers the question "who of UA/AA/DL" is the best?

"Best" being completely subjective, of course.

-keww

travelin man

RE: ContinentalEWR

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:14 pm

It is interesting that you label Southwest as "epitomizing the worst thing about a flight" and yet they rank ahead of Continental in this "admired companies" list.

That's funny, I consider the worst things about a flight the exorbitant fares that most airlines charge and the surly cabin crew that greets me. Southwest epitomizes neither of those attributes.

So which is it, is the Fortune list correct, or are you picking and choosing which airlines are deserving of public praise?

nycank

Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:50 pm

To be considered truely global, an airline has to fly atleast a few continents no ?  . So how many does SouthWest fly to, to be considered global ? :-P

Republic

Coewr

Thu Sep 28, 2000 9:18 pm

Let me ask you this question.

How many cities are begging Southwest to enter their markets, and how many cities are begging Continental?

Southwest is what many, not all, consumers want. Look at the growth and response to Southwest nationwide. Can all these passengers be wrong, or do you just know what is best for them? I am very thankful for Southwest's presence here in Houston, to keep fares competitive. Something tells me if they were not in this market, Continental's service would cost me a hell of alot more. I am a frequent flyer of both Southwest and Continental. I like both airlines. I choose convenience first, price second. I could care less about an inferior meal or assigned seating. Get me there, get me there on time, and I will be happy. Both fullfill this role very well.

FlyBoeing

Thu Sep 28, 2000 9:31 pm

I know that CO is a totally different kind of service from WN. I also have flown both; I'm a CO stockholder and my sister is a WN stockholder. And both airlines have their place in the market; CO obviously serves international destinations better since they have business class.

Moreover, with the new rail link to EWR their business class will be stuffed full since it'll only take about 20 minutes to get there from Manhattan (read: Wall Street) I seriously doubt that the New Yorker character will ever step on a Southwest plane- because for one thing, New Yorkers don't have cars. Their location at Islip is more for Long Islanders. Were Southwest to serve EWR, they'd lose big-time since they'd have to contend with delays and landing fees and lost commonality.

Thu Sep 28, 2000 11:57 pm

This is a crock of sh*t. UA #5 most globally admired air company??? UA has more problems than Boris Yeltsin's accountant. United? Its about as united as my ass. IMHO of course.