Purdue Vs. Erau

Thu Sep 28, 2000 10:59 am

I have read many threads about what college to go to for flight training to get into the big airlines. Well after reading more and more, I think I have narrowed down my top two choices to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Purdue School of Technology, Aviation Dept.
I have a few questions for students, past students, and anyone else who may know:
How do the programs compare?
How much does each cost (approximately)?
How do airlines look at each?
Scholarships that may apply?
Anything else you may know that would affect one's decision on which to go to (I still have a couple years, but want to get an idea of where I am going) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Mitchell Gant

RE: Purdue Vs. Erau

Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:14 pm

I've said it many times on this forum....assume the FLIGHT programs at both schools to be equal. Looking beyond that, you have to look at the intangibles each school has to offer. Remember, you are not just going to be spending your day flying. I would suggest you look at the big picture. You have the choice between a school with WORLDWIDE recognition in many fields and disiplines, or a school that has worldwide recognition in one field (aviation). For the intangibles combined with name recognition and value, Purdue University should be your choice.

Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:57 pm

I do agree with that. At least with Purdue, you can have a non-aviation carrer to fall back on.... hmm.....

Mitchell Gant

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:07 pm

I made the choice of Purdue over ERAU 10 years ago and I am very glad I did so. I am now considering a non-aviation career, and I am certain that my Purdue degree will put me a better position to switch fields.

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:13 pm

Thanks for that info!
How would you say Purdue costs compared to ERAU? Even if you don't have any numbers, do you know if ERAU more expensive, extremely more expensive, etc., for its complete flight training than that of Purdue's? Money isn't really the top issue currently, but just wondering how they compare. I have heard ERAU's four year program can get up to about $200K.

LordOfTheFlys

200k, Look Elsewhere

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:59 pm

Wow 200k! *catches his breath* If it is 200k I see no way they can justify that. Unless they give each student an airplane upon graduation. You can earn every rating you will need via your friendly local flight school for about 1/10 the price. I agree with N766AS, you would be smart to major in a non aviation related field. Heaven forbid you poke your eye out and are unable to fly for a living.

Mitchell Gant

Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:59 pm

I don't know for sure but when I last looked ERAU was more expensive then Purdue (out of state tuition).

dia77

Thu Sep 28, 2000 2:14 pm

In support of what Mitchell says, Purdue and Erau both have great programs, but Purdue has a lot more to offer. I'm a senior in Elec. Eng. (I'm still an airline nut)at Purdue and I have never had regrets about going to school there.

Dalmd88

Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:54 pm

Both are good schools. I got a Maint. Managment degree from Riddle and I have no regrets. I also know quite a few alumni from the 70's that got out of aviation and their Riddle degrees have served them well. I suggest visiting both schools. BTW if you take out flight fees Riddle is a bargin for a four year private school.

RL757PVD

Thu Sep 28, 2000 7:30 pm

I Visited ERAU in DAB two weeks ago and i have been adicted since. The Campus was beautiful. As for the programs, if you want an aviation core, ERAU is best, if you want the opportunity of a non aviation core Perdue may work. All i know is since i want an aviation core for Aviation Business Admin I am going to go where i know the aviation education is best.( ERAU DAB has alot mroe coarse variety than Prescott)
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

N863DA

Thu Sep 28, 2000 9:45 pm

I go to ERAU in DAB, and I can tell you that the programs are excellent here. (tho I am not going to say better than Purdue - they're both probably as good)

Unfortunately the fees over the four years are going to cost about $120,000 with flight and there is no discount for living in state. (I live just up the road, but it makes no difference because they're an independant college.)

There are hundreds of majors you can do here, obviously all to do with Aviaiton, but not all to do with flying itself.

As for social life, there is no nice way to put this, but there are a few Aviation Freaks (no offense, but you know what I mean) here - who live, sleep, talk and walk airplanes. While that's fine, there is some lack of things to do for some people - IE there's always something to do, but it may not suit you all the time!

I'm enjoying ERAU but I'm not going to say that we're better than Purdue or any other because I don't believe we are, (unlike some people here) and I also haven't visited any other college!

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

wilcharl

Thu Sep 28, 2000 9:49 pm

Im @ ERAU in DAB and I think alot of people still see us as a flt. school.. Our Aerospace Enginnering Dept. just got rated #1 in the country, we have alot of business majors and even a communications major... I sometimes questioned if I made the right choice comming here... This changed in the summer of 99 when I went to work for airtran and saw the ERAU alumni in the industry. (i dont know any perdue alumni, but i do know of AUburn and UND)

Purdue Arrow

Fri Sep 29, 2000 12:07 am

Other people have summed it up very well... I'm sure that they are both outstanding schools. As a Purdue student, though, I obviously think Purdue is better, or else I would have chosen ERAU. There were a couple of main factors that influenced my decision. As a Big Ten university, Purdue is a world-class institution in many disciplines. This means that you have other opportunities to pursue outside interests, perhaps even having a double-major or a minor. Secondly, Purdue was reccommended to me by the AA Pilot Mentor Program, an arm of the Allied Pilots Association. An upper-level executive from United who was on campus last week for a ceremony for our 737 went so far as to call Purdue "the best aviation school in the world." At least one regional airline, Chautauqua, has confirmed that they would prefer to hire a 300-hour Purdue grad than a 1500-hour pilot who did not come out of Purdue.

While I'm sure the quality of flight training is comparable for both schools, Purdue offers some opportunities that ERAU can't because, ironically enough, they are too big. Purdue is the only university I know of, for example, that runs a corporate flight department to transport staff members and guests of the university. Every time one of our King Air B200s makes a trip, there is a flight student flying right seat, logging twin turbine time. Every time our Beechjet 400A makes a flight, there is a student flying right seat. The opportunities are great.

As far as cost goes, I don't have any info. on ERAU's cost, but you can expect to spend about $100,000-$120,000 for a four-year Purdue education, including all flight fees, living expenses, and out of state tuition.

Even though we're in Indiana, Purdue is a great school and has a great campus. While we are surrounded by farm land, the campus itself, as well as the cities of West Lafayette and Lafayette, are quite nice. The campus is all red-brick building, with many garden/fountain/study areas around. I think you should probably make a visit to each campus to get an idea of where to go, but I never visited Purdue before coming here. Finally, one last word about the quality of our program... I have never, ever heard a student in Purdue's flight program express any regret whatsoever over their decision to attend Purdue - never. I have, on the other hand, met students from several other universities who were absolutely envious of those of us who do attend Purdue.

Delta15

Grades

Fri Sep 29, 2000 4:37 am

I was wondering if someone can tell me what kind of grades you need to have to get into purdue? I went from a 3.1 my freshmen year to a 3.5 my sophomore year. Now that im in my junior year I am doing very welll, and dont expect to get less than a 3.9. If my average over the three years is a 3.5 do I have a chance at getting into Purdue? I know that a college like purdue is real selective. Maybe Purde Arrow can help me out with this. BTW, what were your Sat scores, and grades like?

Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:14 am

Thanks for all the info so far!
When the time comes, I may just have to visit both campuses. Good question, Delta15. Just wondering that myself.

teahan

Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:32 am

I live in Ireland. I am wondering what I would have to do to get into either. I am not interested in flying but more in airline management. Do Purdue offer courses in that too and what fees are to be considered?

I could also go to England. Both Loughsborough and Buckinghamshire offer airline management courses. What about those? How are they.

Anyplace else in Europe I could go?

Remember that I am a non rev and will hopefully have non rev facilities for the forseeable future!

You would truly help me with my career guidance projetc!

Thank You!

Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Purdue Arrow

Fri Sep 29, 2000 12:18 pm

I honestly don't know what the minimums are for Purdue's program, but our small size makes it reasonable selective... we take about 60-75 freshmen each year into the flight program, I think. For what it's worth, my GPA was about 3.7ish, which put me in the top 25% of my class. My SAT score was 1400 (690 math/710 verbal), and my ACT composite was 35. Purdue is becoming more selective starting this year, due to the fact that the campus is beginning to suffer from overcrowding, but I don't think that the AvTech (Aviation Technology) program will get any more selective as we are already such a small part of the university. If you are interested, this page has info. on the flight program, including a course list.

Teahan - Purdue does offer a major in Aviation Administration, which is essentially airline/airport/corporate aviation department management. I think that there is less demand for that program, but it is about the same size as teh flight program, so it is probably easier to get into. In that major, there would be no flight fees, of course, so the total cost of the education would be reduced by about $20,000-$25,000. On top of that, you would not need to purchase the very expensive pilot supplies that flight majors need to buy. This link has some information on the program, including the curriculum.

Purdue Arrow

Fri Sep 29, 2000 12:33 pm

Just to add to what I've already said, if anybody has any questions about Purdue, feel free to e-mail me, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

almbluzman

Fri Sep 29, 2000 12:46 pm

does anyone know whether or not it is true that it takes about two years to actually fly at erau? that's the rumor that i've heard around the spartan school of aeronautics...

almbluzman

N863DA

Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:29 pm

No that is not true about taking two years to fly. I am in my first semester here and am already flying!

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

wilcharl

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:50 am

Lik i stated earlier, I have no regreats about ERAU... I really dont think you could go wrong either way. ERAU, UND, or Purdue. The only thing I dont like is seeing people go to Flt Safety or Comair and in less time taht I am at ERAU they are getting whisked into flying... Alot of the m lack the academic foundation, as the 2 year associates degree is OPTIONAL @ Comair I have aloso heard tons of horrer stories about that place.

tbar220

Sat Sep 30, 2000 4:31 am

I'm also interested in going into a good four year plan, and have been interested in the two. The one thing that drew me more towards ERAU is their job placement statistics after college. I want to try the flight program, and I saw the list of internships and hirings you can get out of ERAU compared to Purdue, and that was one factor. Also, if I want a good Aerospace Enginnering, which was just rated number one by US News college ratings for undergraduate degree, I can do that at ERAU and have many possibilities for job's after those four years. Am I correct in this inromation? If anyone could tell me, that would be great. Thank you.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

Mitchell Gant

Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:36 am

Tzvika,

If you want a good engineering degree, go to Purdue. Purdue has one of the top undergraduate engineering programs in the world, and the aerospace engineering program is no exception (one AE grad from Purdue goes by the name Neil Armstrong). There is a statistic that keeps floating around that one of every twelve engineers in the USA is a Purdue grad. This just goes to show how many engineers are turned out by Purdue every year.

Purdue Arrow

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:26 am

Tbar - let me address your concerns...

I don't know ERAUs placement statistics, and I can't find them on the ERAU website, but how is this for Purdue - 100%. According to Purdue University data, our pilot program has had 100% placement since 1996... that's the last 5 school years. (http://www.tech.purdue.edu/placement/place98-99.html)It doesn't get a whole lot better than that. In reality, placement in this industry is so economy-dependent that the schools are probably roughly the same.

Which internships are available at ERAU that interest you? I don't have the current list of regional internships in front of me, but the list of majors who take Purdue interns includes the following:

Alaska
American
ATA
Continental
Delta
DHL
FedEx
Northwest
Ryan
TWA
UPS
United
USAirways

In addition, we have internships set up with such corporate departments as United Technologies (fleet includes G-IVs, G-Vs, and more), and such manufacturers as Raytheon (maker of the King Air, Beechjet, Baron, Bonanza, Premier I, and Hawker, this internship entails getting type rated in at least one Raytheon product and flying test and demo flights).

I don't know what company you were looking to go with, but chances are they have an internship program with Purdue.

flywithken

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:13 pm

I dont know about Purdue, But ERAU is about 16,000 in tuition per year. Flight costs for the first year average 7,000 or more. That gives you your private licence. Other years cost differently depending on what ratings you are working on. I think ERAU is somewhat overrated.

Univeristy of North Dakota is where i am going next fall...check them out.

KEN

trnswrld

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:23 pm

I am currently a Riddle Student working on my third year. Obviously I cant say anything about Purdue since I have never been there, but I can speak for Riddle. The campus is VERY nice. They have a huge fleet of all very well maintained new aircraft. 2 full motion simulators such as 737 and the Beach 1900. One part of going to this school that really motivates me is the atmosphere and fellow students. Since this is strictly an aviation school you will not find one person on campus that does not share the same interest as yourself. Its really neat to be walking to class and see a Delta jet depart right over your head and watch every single person look up and stare. Another good point I would like to make out is the fact that even though Riddle is strictly an aviation school, there are many many other degree programs that one could persue. I believe that if one really has there mind set on avaition they will stick with it. I have friends that dropped out of the Aeronautical Science program because they found they did not like flying anymore. They are now in Metereology and also in Engineering. Air Traffic Control is another huge program here at Riddle. Even if I was to decide to not fly I would certainly stick in the aviation business just like I have always loved aviation since as long as i can remember.
Hope this helps.

tbar220

Mon Oct 02, 2000 2:03 pm

Here's another statistic which would be important. I would like to know what each school's (ERAU vs PUR) aircraft count is, compared to its student count. If there are less students per aircraft, that could be a big advantage, meaning more flying time. Since ERAU flight school is so large, there could be problems with flight time. Another thing, how many flight instructers does each flight school have? Thanks.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

FuturePilot

Mon Oct 02, 2000 2:41 pm

Well listen, I attend ERAU here in Prescott. Maybe you haven't heard of this little town in Arizona, but hey its a great school. Obviously, I can only speak for ERAU as I have never visited Purdue. As you may know, we are strickly an Aeronautical University unlike Purdue which has other degrees. We here at Prescott have about 1700 students, which about 800 are Aeronautical Science students. We have a great, clean, new fleet of planes from Cessna 172's, to Duchess, which are our muiltiengine planes, and Cessna 340s. One plus for our school is that we start muiltiengine training about a semester and a half into our freshmen year. Oh and the rumor that we don't start flying until a few years is wrong. I am in my first month of my freshmen year and started the first week. The instructors here are experienced, fun individuals who understand where you are coming from since most of them have graduated from ERAU. Since the student body is fairly small, everyone basically knows everybody else. The town is friendly and the entire campus is friendly. Listen, I can't tell you what college to attend but obviously you wanna fly. If you like a small student body, with new clean planes, and friendly people, ERAU is the place to go. I hope this helps and hope to see you here some time for a tour.

Mon Oct 02, 2000 4:02 pm

Just go to MIT and get this argument over with.

Purdue Arrow

Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:17 am

Purdue's fleet consists of 24 training airplanes, including:
14 Piper Warrior IIIs
4 Piper Arrows
2 Beechcraft Duchesses
2 Cessna 150s
1 Cessna 182
1 Chipmunk

In addition, we have 2 King Air 200s and a Beechjet 400A that are flown by students, for a total of 27 aircraft.

We have, at most, about 150 students in the Warriors per semester, and 40-50 in the Arrows. 30-40 fly the Duchesses, but a multi-engine rating doesn't require much flight time. Students in the Warriors are scheduled 3-4 times per week, while Arrow and Duchess students are scheduled 2-3 times per week. All flight slots are 2 hours, and you can get more slots through a daily lottery that awards the slots that are available to those who want them.

wilcharl

Strictly Aviation?

Tue Oct 03, 2000 4:07 am

I think Dr. Whats his name Ebbs yeah thats it would be pissed if he heard us saying ERAU was strictly aviation. Apparently they dont want that to be the case.. We have the largest Enginnering Physics program in the country (not aviation related), a #1 rated Comp Sci program and even a Communicaitons Degree and department.... If you look at the signs @ the daytona campus you see they have droped the word Aeronautical from them... Less aviation=More Females

tbar220

Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:35 am

Great information purdue arrow. Now does anyone have similar information on ERAU? Thanks!

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

wilcharl

Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:57 am

I think (dont quote these #s) but Riddle has 90 172s at daytona all new a bunch of Piper Cadets being phased out a load full of mooneys and a mess of seminoles.. when i starte dhtey had a king air and a crusader both were sold replaced with a level D 737 and beach 1900 sim the only univ in the world to have such.. also there are 2 free sim bays rumor is an airbus 330/40 is going in one the bays.... erau has the exact #s ont heir web page

Pilot1113

Purdue University

Tue Oct 03, 2000 12:40 pm

I can field any questions you folks have about the Aviation Administration program here. I'm not an expert, but I will see if I can track down some of the answers to your questions (if I can't answer them).

I'm pretty partial myself, as I go to Purdue. I'll attest to the fact that the land here is pretty boring, which doesn't do the campus justice. Too bad Purdue's not in Boston!  

Anyhow, I feel that I have made the right choice where I am. I have found that my classmates have been just as enthusiastic about the program as I. I have yet to find someone who isn't.

Although Purdue is a Big 10 school, it doesn't feel like it. I come from a small town and I usually find the ol' "hustle and bustle" of city life to be a tad unnerving. When I say, "I feel right at home at Purdue" is no small statement.

You're mainly grouped with the folks from your area of study. In the classes that pertain specifically to your area of study you will be usually with the same people; this allows for some close friendships to be forged.

The teachers here too are very happy about their position. In fact my Aircraft Systems teacher, Denver Lopp looks for any reason to got outside to walk around our two static trainers; the Boeing 727 and 737. I feel like I'm in ER making the rounds with a group of residents and a Doctor looking at patients!  
At times, Lopp (as well as other Professors) like to joke around and make the class very entertaining. That makes all the difference in the world when the subject could be very cut and dry.

As Purdue is a school of about 45,000 there is a vareity of interests in and around campus. It's very easy to get involved in clubs that aren't of your major and meet people who aren't involved in any aspect of flying. That's one of the pluses I've found; you're not limited to aviation.

I, for one, am a person who likes a little variety in life. Remember: "variety is the spice of life!" I have found this school to be very accomidating of that.

The only downside that I've found is that our simulator equipment is a little lacking. We have only 2 "outdated" 727 (which I'd love to fly, don't get me wrong) that aren't up to current industry standards. IMHO, I think we need to get a glass cockpit simulator. We were supposed to get a Fairchild-Donnier 328 simulator, but now it doesn't seem it will ever happen!  

I hope that I've been of assistance. Oh, before I leave: We do get airline service here. United Express (Great Lakes Aviation) and Northwest Airlink (Mesaba) fly into this airport.

Thanks for your time!

- Neil Harrison

Pilot1113

Wilcharl - Erau Reform

Wed Oct 04, 2000 1:55 am

If ERAU or ERU, whatever you say they're calling it now, wants to reform their image, they'll have to do a lot more than drop a word from their title.

I don't want to start a PU v. ERAU/ERU post here, however they'll have to do a lot more to change their well embellished image. Such as adding more and more non-aviation courses and publishing ads promoting the school as "diverse educationally."

Good luck in your studies!

- Neil Harrison

Louis

Erau Students!

Wed Oct 04, 2000 5:43 am

Hey, I'm just wondering if any of you go to the ERAU Prescott Campus in Arizona? A friend of mine went there and I know he hasn't graduated yet, but I can't find his e-mail address in the directory.

Thanx in advance

Purdue Arrow

Wed Oct 04, 2000 6:29 am

Tbar - to give you another idea of the opportunities available with our fleet:student ratio, my private pilot student and I have flown about 26 hours this semester. We are down to only about 10 flights before he takes his private pilot checkride, and the semester is less than half over. We had some weather issues in the beginning of the semster, flying only 8.6 hours in the first 4 weeks, but have been able to fly the other 18 or so hours in only 2 weeks with no weather cancellations.

Our scheduled day at Hangar 6 (Purdue's training ops center) goes from 0730 until 1730, with five 2-hour blocks per day. Typically, 8-10 Warrior students are scheduled in each time slot, leaving 4-6 Warriors available to students who want to do extra flying. Those 4-6 extra slots also include Warriors that are down for maintenance. From the beginning of the semester until mid-October, and again after around spring break, planes are also available 1730-1930. The middle part of the school year, it's too dark in that time to conduct day flights. Hangar 6 is normally open 1900-2200 or so for night flight, Monday through Thursday, with the times adjusted to start as soon as practical after night begins. Arrows and Duchesses are scheduled in the same time slots, with normally 2-3 Arrow students scheduled per slot, and 2-4 Duchess students. When we fly the Duchess, we normally fly with one student flying and other observing from the backseat, so two students fly in one airplane. The only exception to this normally is the lesson in which we do numerous engine failures in the traffic pattern. Due to the low altitude engine cuts, we don't fly with a passenger on this flight.

As far as instructors go, we have a number of full time instructors (at least 10-12, I'm not sure of the exact number), as well as about 70 part time instructors. The part timers, like me, are students in the flight program who, as CFIs, also instruct. I currently have one flight student and one sim student. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. Some people don't like the prospect of being taught by other students - if this is the case, you can request a full time instructor. Personally, I liked being taught by my peers. My first three instructors here were Purdue students, the youngest being a year ahead of me, the oldest being 3 years ahead of me. All of Purdue's instructors are competent - we have to pass FAA checkrides and Purdue standardization flights - so to me, flying with other students created a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. If you were to be assigned an instructor who you didn't like to fly with, they are really good about making arrangements to get you a new instructor.

About the sims: While we don't have level D 737 and Beech 1900 sims, we do have a lavel A 727-100 sim (donated by American) and a level C 727-200 sim (donated by Delta), in addition to our fleet of corporate aircraft, including 2 King Airs and a Beechjet 400A, that you get to fly for free. I don't think any other schools offer every one of their students free flight time, let alone free flight time in twin turbine aircraft. I certainly don't think that any other schools pay for you to earn a type rating, though Purdue does fund the trip to FlightSafety, and the training there, for those students who are selected to fly the Beechjet. In addition, we are supposed to be getting a level D Dornier 328/328JET simulator, the motion base for which is currently under assembly in the Holleman-Niswonger Simulator Center, and we have a grant application in for a Level D Embraer 135/145 simulator. Whether the NSF will fund it or not, I don't know, but we're trying. Finally, a new piece of technology was unveiled today in my 727 systems class. We now have a wireless telecommunications system that allows a classroom full of students to see real-time images from other locations, including our 727 or 737 cockpits or our 727 simulators, so that we can see what's going on when we learn things like how to bring generators on line.

One last note - while the 727 may not be the wave of the future in airline fleets, the point of the simulators and related classes is not just to learn the 727. Rather, it is to learn aircraft in general, as most transport category aircraft have very similar electrical, environmental, and other systems. Sure, new airplanes may be glass cockpits while older ones have mechanical instruments, but the basic setup of the systems is the same. The major goal of the classes is to teach you how to learn aircraft systems, to teach you to be comfortable with schematics, to introduce you to transport category aircraft. After learning one aircraft as in depth as we must (we follow the training guidelines of Ryan Internation Airlines in learning the 727, so our course work is essentially the same as Ryan's), it is a lot easier to learn a new aircraft.

wingman

Wed Oct 04, 2000 6:39 am

Some people might consider this a trivial point, but all things being equal you might also take into account that Purdue has a great basketball team. This is something you will enjoy during your study breaks and will also add to your college experience. For the rest of your life you will feel a special attachment to your college whenever March rolls around. Nothing aviation-related but definitely one of those "intagibles".

wilcharl

Justification For Erau

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:29 am

If that picture doesnt sell you on ERAU, then you arent easily impressed... I remember many of flts when your asked to keep the speed up cuzz you have a "super 80" some of the controllers at DAB think they are working at an AA behind you.. or tell you caution wake turb. for a departing "Super 80" once i was told i had traffic ahead and it was a super 80 and my response which got a laugh out of the controler was " Cessna xxxx Tally ho on the DC-9 stretch limmo" I think that was the same day I was flying a local FBO's 152 and was told to follow a "Company moony on the ocean south departure" i was thinking since when did this local FBO aquire mooneys and since when were they big enough to get a call sign and be called company. my only complaint about DAB is the croweded airspace. ive had my share of close calls as we all have here... we have had some midairs in the past @ nearby fields. My closest call was being cleared by a controler to land then having him clear a seminole direct in forgeting he cleared me midfield downwind... That controler made 2 other mistakes taht day and a call was made to the tower who nicely said he was already pulled off the scope.

tbar220

Fri Oct 06, 2000 12:16 pm

Dear Purdue Arrow,

When I send in an application, do I need to send in a FAA medical examination paper as well? If so, where can I do that? Thanks.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

Purdue Arrow

Fri Oct 06, 2000 12:29 pm

You do not need to send in proof of your medical. You are not required to have a medical cetificate until you solo, but Purdue reccommends that you obtain one before coming to campus. I'm not sure what year you are in, but if you're a senior, keep in mind that the application deadline for our flight program is November 15, so you only have about a month. Good luck if you decide to apply - you won't be sorry!

Purdue Arrow

Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:54 pm

I have some new information on the status of of Dornier 328/328JET simulator that I got in class. Apparently, the company that was assembling the simulator took our money, then went bankrupt, so we have no simulator as of yet. My understanding is that the department is now trying to determine whether they should spend more money to have another company assemble the sim, or whether we would be better served by putting that money toward a better sim.