Pacific
Topic Author

Any Chance Of Cockpit Visit On CX?

Fri Sep 29, 2000 10:52 am

I'm flying from Hong Kong-Manila, flight time is about 1.5-2 hours. Plane type is A340. Is there any chance of visiting a CX cockpit on such a short flight? I managed to have one on Swissair on the same flight route.

n949wp

RE: Any Chance Of Cockpit Visit On CX?

Fri Sep 29, 2000 11:17 am

Normally, your chances are quite good with Cathay. However, they have been hiring so many new pilots lately that many of their flights also serve as training flights. If you happened to be on one, then the captain probably won't have time to entertain any visitors. I flew HKG-SIN-HKG a few months ago (777-300, A330), and both flights turned out to be training flights. Guess I should have realized it when I saw four pilots boarding the aircraft before us!!

But then, it never hurts to ask. Good luck!! And tell us about it afterwards.

'949

Pacific
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2000 11:30 am

I forgot to tell you that I'm flying on December 22, which is still a long time away!

pandora

CX Is Stingy!

Fri Sep 29, 2000 11:42 am

I remember a flight from MEL to HKG last year and yes, although they do allow cockpit visits, they do not allow phtos to be taken, however. The pilots said it was 'company policy". to me, it was a load of bu**sh**

Qantas Is Great~~

Fri Sep 29, 2000 9:12 pm

I flew HKG-SIN-HKG on Qantas in July. They refused to let me go in before takeoff, ~~training flight!!
But after everything was settled, the captains had no problems. On my flight back to HKG, they even let me stay for the landing....It was fantastic!!! That was a training flt, and it was the trainee who landed the plane!!!

Skybutt

iwantanL1011

Fri Sep 29, 2000 10:40 pm

how about ATL-HNL on Delta??? Do you ask the captain before hand, like on the ground? or do you ask an FA?

Mason

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:25 am

I flew from Jarkarta (CGK) to Hong Kong (Kai Tak) on a Cathay 747-400, and the pilots let me stay for the landing on 13! It was at night, and it was the best experience (aviation wise) in my life. It was pretty choppy, and the pilot in command didn't even break a sweat.

Jubilee777

Sat Sep 30, 2000 12:58 pm

Just ask politely, you might get a chance.
If you don't ask, there will never get the chance,

J777

kaitak

RE: Great Airline, Great Pilots!

Sat Sep 30, 2000 9:54 pm

I've flown with CX on quite a few occasions and they are very decent. On any airline, they tend not to allow jump seats if they are training (although I have flown on a B Midland 733 where a new captain was being checked out and got the j/s). Cathay is generally very decent. My best flight was from KIX to HKG on a 330 and they couldn't have done more - jump seat for t/o and landing and although they don't allow photos, if you get the j/s, I figure you've done fairly well!!

On Delta or any US airline, "please do not ask to visit the cockpit during the flight or take the jump seat as a smack in the kisser often offends"!! (Seriously, it's against regulations and the FAA tends to get a tiny bit cross about it.)

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:31 pm

Then I think Qantas is a BIT better~~
Last time when they gave me the visit, I go to take all the photos I want, even when they are landing.
But their rule is no flash lights!!!
It was great!!~~

skybutt

Pacific
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2000 10:46 pm

Thanks for the response. I'll try my luck on the flight. I'll hope that the weather would be good so that the fasten seat belt sign stays off long enough after meal to go to the cockpit!