F4N
Topic Author

What New Technology In A3XX?

Sun Oct 01, 2000 3:50 am

To all: I read in the comments by the chairman of SQ that the A3XX was selected over 747X since the "larger number of seats and newer technology will allow profits w/o raising fares".

Since A3XX represents the current generation of a/c in its' largest form, what new technology is he referring to that poses such an advantage over 747X?

F4N

Joni

RE: What New Technology In A3XX?

Sun Oct 01, 2000 3:58 am

There is a recent Letter in the Airbus site that gives a short list on somw new tech in A3xx - new materials, laser welding, actuating and high-pressure hydraulics come to mind.

N863DA

Sun Oct 01, 2000 4:05 am

First off, let me start by saying that this MUST NOT Become any sort of A vs. B post.  and I am just going to point out some facts.

The basic airframe design of the 747, no matter how much you modify it, is 1960s design. Whether this is a good thing or not is subjective, but the basic technology was designed in the 1960s. (likewise, the 737 is basically a 1960s airframe, and the 75 & 76 are essentially 70's technology) - Now I agree that this proves that it is tried and tested. But the Airbus will be designed as a totally new airframe from scratch, allowing radical differences from other, older designs.

Also, (will the 747X be FBW?) the A3XX will be fly-by-wire (obviously) and made of a lot of composite materials. The 747X will have some composites, but not as much as the A3XX, making the A3XX pound for pound lighter.

Both aircraft will have their good points and bad points. I am not getting involved as to which might be better. I am just pointing out some facts.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

jaysit

Sun Oct 01, 2000 4:31 am

Engines with higher thrust, I suppose.
New advancements in airconditioning systems, avionics, etc.

Not sure what advancements have been incorporated into the wing design.

I think passengers will see cool gizmos like touch controlled self-darkening windows instead of the window shades we're currently accustomed to.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

F4N
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2000 6:10 am

To all: Thanks for the information. I have to say however, that the point of this post is to gain better insight into what constitutes A3XX vis a vis 747X technology wise from people who are more knowledgeable about this than I, NOT to start an A vs B thing; that sort of ugly business is currently making the rounds in another thread. I don't participate in that nor do I intend to promulgate it.

Best regards,

F4N

L-188

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:20 am

I hate to say it but it the true reality is that there isn't a lot of new stuff in any airplane.

Just about all advances can be traced back to the start of flying. There is noting new in Aviation just revamping of the old stuff.

The main reason is that airplane or any for that matter is still going to have to meet the same airworthyness standards as its predesessors. They may become lighter or burn less gas but they still are built to the same specs. Be it JAR or FAA or one of the other governing bodies.

The basic metal airplane structure really hasn't changed since Jugo Junkers built his first fighter prototypes during the war.....And when I say way I mean the first one.

Autopilot, Fly by wire, The first autopilot was successfully flown on a Curtis(1 s or 2?) Flying boat before the war.

Canard wings, Come-on the Wright Flying was a canard. Flying wings, There was at least one the British where tying out before the war.

Don't forget the first working turbine engines came along at the end of the 19th century.

Composites.....Remember that there has been a big push for alternative materials during wars. So even during the first war there where aircraft that where being designed with composite structures. The brits again had a fighter that could be shot off of freighters that was built of this stuff. Bakelite has been around forever. Shoot anybody remember the Goodyear Inflate-a-plane of the 1950's.

I am not shooting down anybody in particular but remember in Aviation Nothing Is New!!!!!

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

widebody

Sun Oct 01, 2000 10:33 pm

..I saw an article on what the 3XX cockpit will contain, and some of the new systems are really incredible.....especially that terrain mapping gismo, just like is used in the military aircraft......literally the aircraft knows every single solitary part of the world....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos