Gnomon
Topic Author

The European Airline?

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:27 am

With the previous talk of BA/KLM (before its failure) and now BA/SR, one must wonder about what rebranding might take place in the ongoing consolidation of the European airline industry.

I know that strong nationalist sentiments still exist - particularly in the context of flag carriers - despite the attempts at political and economic unification among the nations of continental Europe.

Say BA merges with SR... Does SR retain its brand name and operate complementary to - but not as part of - BA (despite common ownership), does BA lose its brand name and become SR, or do both change to reflect a single European, and not national, identity?

777guy

RE: The European Airline?

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:32 am

I wonder if any of these big company mergers have a chance at success given the egoes each company's manager.Either way BA is looking to be the dominate one.

N863DA

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:36 am

From a non-aviation point of view, bear in mind that neither Switzerland nor Britain are in Euroland - and Switzerland isn't even in the EU.

BA & KLM would have been a Euro-airline, but Swissair & BA, while based within the boundaries of Europe, can hardly be called a Euro-airline, as it would not have bases in Euroland.

But, as the main point, maybe (this is speculation and an educated guess) the merged airline might do what Piedmont & USAir did for a while... operate under two different names having no overlapping routes serving different markets but all profits being repatriated to a common bank account. Just a thought.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Gnomon
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:22 pm

So do we think the consensus is that, in the event of a merger, BA will retain its brand identity - as will Swissair - in the interest of the national pride associated with the UK and Switzerland?

Any British/Swiss/European members with insight or knowledge?

Mr.BA

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:55 pm

I think that BA will keep it's name and BA is looking foward to a merger which retains "British Airways"

Alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

ZRH

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:32 pm

I don't see the problem. First of all I don't believe that BA and SR merge. Perhaps a close partnership, but no merger. Even when they merge there is no need to rebrand. "Both" airlines can keep their names and brands without any economical disadvatage. It already happend: Sabena still exists although they are bought by SAirGroup (85%).

Plane Holland

Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:13 am

I'm glad BA/KLM failed. The dutch would have lost exclusive rights BA does not have. Besides that, merging etc. and being part of a big alliance is a hype and hypes mostly burn out after a while. (not everyone can profit!!)

flyboy_se

Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:51 am

Both BA and SR are two big airlines , so i dont think that they will change name after merger (if there will be one)

And also, just because a country isnt in the EU doesnt mean that it is exluded from Europe.
Europe has 45 countries and only 15 of those are in the EU.
EU is just as a airline alliance.
Personally i think it will fail soon.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter