col
Topic Author

Airbus Assembly Lines - Narrow Body

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 am

With the success of the neo and plans to make 60 units per month, the present assembly plants in France, Germany and China will be maxed out at around 45-46 from memory.

The options I guess would be to expand any of the existing three plants or open a 4th plant elsewhere. Talk has been said of USA plant, which was originally planned for the tankers. The problem with the USA is that Airbus are still deemed to be the bad competition to Boeing who are highly regarded by the Government etc. This is a pity, as getting Airbus to assemble in USA would be a major coup for, and may actually help Boeing. Other than Alabama the support could be zip.

Another option would be to assemble in UK, a country with the know how to carry out assembly easily. There must be a number of sites capable of assembling 320's very easily.

Spreading the assembly plants seems like a smart idea, unions, holiday, competition between the sites = less exposure to negative production affects.

Any thoughts?

scouseflyer

RE: Airbus Assembly Lines - Narrow Body

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:20 am

Had always assumed that this would be at the tanker plant in the US but uk assembly sounds like a plan the government would be very keen to help out and airbus already had several plants where it could be located.

stevenmeyer2005

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:37 am

Opening up new plants or expanding older plants would definitely be a great benefit to Airbus, however in my eyes I see a problem with part deliveries from their suppliers. The suppliers are already under pressure to keep up with the units being assembled right now.

Another factor would be that Airbus has 5 belugas right now, if they expand a plant or open a new plant I would assume that they would need a couple more belugas to transport parts since the 5 belugas now are being used daily already to transport parts between Spain, France, UK and Germany. Keep in mind that the belugas now do not only transfer A32X parts.

stevenmeyer2005
Steven Meyer

zeke

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 am

Quoting col (Thread starter):

The options I guess would be to expand any of the existing three plants or open a 4th plant elsewhere. Talk has been said of USA plant, which was originally planned for the tankers.

I think that is still a good idea. At the moment, a lot of the components for Airbus aircraft come from the USA by surface, Airbus could add to their sealift capability to take assemblies from the USA one way, and in the other direct take A320 fuselages and wings in the other direction.

Another option would be to assemble in UK, a country with the know how to carry out assembly easily. There must be a number of sites capable of assembling 320's very easily.

With the closure of a number of UK DoD bases in recent times, a number of them have fairly good sea access, it has all the ingredients of making another assembly line, sea access for parts in, and an airfield to launch the completed airframes.

Spreading the assembly plants seems like a smart idea, unions, holiday, competition between the sites = less exposure to negative production affects.

I would not rule out something in DXB either, it would be the sort if industry they would try like to attract, good sea and air access, lots of open space. They do not allow unions, and an attractive tax base.

Quoting stevenmeyer2005 (Reply 2):
Opening up new plants or expanding older plants would definitely be a great benefit to Airbus, however in my eyes I see a problem with part deliveries from their suppliers. The suppliers are already under pressure to keep up with the units being assembled right now.

The FAL in China is all done by ship, I would think any further development would include more surface transport.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

breiz

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 am

As all you know, Airbus vented recently, by alleged mistake, the thoughts around a Super-Beluga in the guise of a modified A330.
I do not believe that a company of Airbus' stature would make such an innocent "mistake".
I see it as a tool to negotiate further assembly plants development. Either towards the European countries (you see we have the capability to fly parts to Mobile), or to boost the shelved Mobile solution.
Alternatively, I am just dreaming.

stevenmeyer2005

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 am

Quoting breiz (Reply 4):
As all you know, Airbus vented recently, by alleged mistake, the thoughts around a Super-Beluga in the guise of a modified A330.

The only benefit of an A330 beluga is that it would be longer because the A330 fuselage is based upon the A300 fuselage. Well of course the added weight it could carry and range. A development of this aircraft would take years and Airbus has its hands full with the A32X neos and A350s.
Steven Meyer

parapente

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:19 am

re above.I am not so sure.We are not talking about tomorrow those orders and timescales are alrasdy tied up.If the 3 existing assembly plants cannot be expanded then they may well need a fourth and where better than the US - even if I am a Brit.2011 may be the year of the NEO but 2012? Don't bet on it they have only just got started - why do you think Boeing wanted to build "new"?

breiz

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:20 am

Quoting stevenmeyer2005 (Reply 5):
A development of this aircraft would take years and Airbus has its hands full with the A32X neos and A350s.

The development may not be that long. As pointed-out earlier by others, the communality between the A300 and the A330 would make structural modifications straightforward. Systems are another issue.
But I agreed of course that Airbus has already plenty to deal with.

Centre

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:36 am

Quoting stevenmeyer2005 (Reply 5):
e only benefit of an A330 beluga is that it would be longer because the A330 fuselage is based upon the A300 fuselage. Well of course the added weight it could carry and range. A development of this aircraft would take years and Airbus has its hands full with the A32X neos and A350s.

There might be no need for more Belugas or further developments to it:

According to Airbus Power8 plan, back in 2007:
http://www.atlantic-times.com/archive_detail.php?recordID=797

Quote:
The new A350 will be assembled in Toulouse and will also get its interior outfitting at the main Airbus site. This is a significant change to the previous practice where aircraft are flown to Hamburg empty for interior outfitting. To make the change more acceptable for the German side within Airbus, Hamburg will add a third final assembly line for the A320 narrow-body family.

Toulouse will keep its A320 line but it will be capped at 14 aircraft per month. Everything beyond 14 will be built in Hamburg. Gallois of course says that this is a commitment given by his predecessor Philippe Camus when the A380 was launched six years ago.

So, there is a high possibility of a 3rd FAL in Hamburg, for a total of 5 FAL between Hamburg, Toulouse, and China.

That's quite sufficient if suppliers can support it.
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

flipdewaf

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:58 am

Quoting scouseflyer (Reply 1):
Had always assumed that this would be at the tanker plant in the US but uk assembly sounds like a plan the government would be very keen to help out and airbus already had several plants where it could be located.

MME sounds like a good place to have a FAL to me      

Fred

col
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 pm

I am actually talking about a plant being available from 2016/2017.

Quoting zeke (Reply 3):
would not rule out something in DXB either, it would be the sort if industry they would try like to attract, good sea and air access, lots of open space. They do not allow unions, and an attractive tax base.

That would be better served as an A380 Assembly plant, then they could just roll them down the street.

Quoting breiz (Reply 4):
you see we have the capability to fly parts to Mobile

My concern with Mobile is that Airbus got shafted by the US Government on a couple of ocassions now. They certainly showed their feelings to an Airbus plant versus helping Boeing. Other than Alabama, there was not really any support from any other State. They do not look upon the plant as creating jobs for American's, but taking jobs from WA. It drove me crazy, when you look at the reality of getting another manufacturer to assemble their planes in US. We could have made Tankers for every Air Force on the planet, plus maybe 330 PAX and 350's.

HiJazzey

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 3):
I would not rule out something in DXB either, it would be the sort if industry they would try like to attract, good sea and air access, lots of open space. They do not allow unions, and an attractive tax base.

AUH more likely than DXB (although still unlikely).
If I remember correctly EADS signed a deal with Mubadala a couple of years ago.

robffm2

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 pm

What about Brazil?
Weren't Bombardier and Airbus already working together in the past?

something

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Quoting Centre (Reply 8):
Quote:
The new A350 will be assembled in Toulouse and will also get its interior outfitting at the main Airbus site. This is a significant change to the previous practice where aircraft are flown to Hamburg empty for interior outfitting. To make the change more acceptable for the German side within Airbus, Hamburg will add a third final assembly line for the A320 narrow-body family.

Toulouse will keep its A320 line but it will be capped at 14 aircraft per month. Everything beyond 14 will be built in Hamburg. Gallois of course says that this is a commitment given by his predecessor Philippe Camus when the A380 was launched six years ago.

So, there is a high possibility of a 3rd FAL in Hamburg, for a total of 5 FAL between Hamburg, Toulouse, and China.

You are a very attentive observer. There will be no other additional plant in the foreseeable future.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

par13del

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:27 pm

The problem with the USA is that Airbus are still deemed to be the bad competition to Boeing who are highly regarded by the Government etc.

The US government purchases hugh numbers of military items from foreign suppliers from a/c to missiles, to vehicles.

Quoting col (Reply 10):
My concern with Mobile is that Airbus got shafted by the US Government on a couple of ocassions now. They certainly showed their feelings to an Airbus plant versus helping Boeing.

Presently US Airways is listed as the largest single Airbus a/c operator in the world with around 232 a/c, that is a single carrier, when you add in UA, DL, B6, F9 and others the USA as a country is probably largest operator of Airbus a/c, and that has been accomplished without interference from Boeing, a FAL in the USA or any assistance by the US Government.
AA has now placed an order and the US government was nowhere to be seen or heard on anything related to the order, so why do you believe that the free market in the US as it relates to Airbus is somehow preventing them from penetrating a market which they presently have a large share or that they need a FAL to maintain their position or solicit orders?

r2rho

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Quoting something (Reply 13):
There will be no other additional plant in the foreseeable future.

There is no immediate need for a new FAL The ramp up will take time. But I do see a need for it in a few years, if they go to rate 60. Which means they'll have to start thinking about sites soon.

TSN, while small, was built inspired on the XFW site, and has room for expansion. I could see that site growing and taking over some of the Asian market (and not just Chinese) in the mid-term. I don't think Airbus had a long-term goal of just 4 aircraft per month in mind when they set up shop there.

BFM is a major candidate, IMO. Airbus has long wanted to establish a larger presence in the US, it didn't work out with the tankers, so why not give it a try with the NEO?

Also, there is SVQ. It would be an unexpected move, but the A400M is assembled there, it is already integrated into the Airbus logistics network, and it wouldn't be too hard to build an A320 FAL there.

Quoting zeke (Reply 3):
The FAL in China is all done by ship, I would think any further development would include more surface transport.

Correct, and the A380 is also done by ship. Ship transport seems to be the future trend within Airbus, as much as we all love the Beluga. It is not a coincidence that a lot of their sites are at or near port facilities. I wouldn't rule out the A330-Beluga some day, but the bulk will be done by ship, IMO. That should help to narrow down the choices  

par13del

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Quoting r2rho (Reply 15):
Airbus has long wanted to establish a larger presence in the US, it didn't work out with the tankers, so why not give it a try with the NEO?

If they really wanted a FAL in the US they did not and do not need the tanker or the NEO product to do so, the number of customers and a/c deployed in the US are large enough to justify a FAL on just replacements, Airbus is no different than the Japanese or Korean auto companies, if they want to build a FAL, the states would step up with property, tax breaks and incentives to get the job done. None of the foreign factories presently in the US was set up with the aid of the Federal government, the states in the US have taxing power on their own.
Take the A321NEO for example, the extra range and payload are mostly beneficial to the US transcon market than anywhere else in the world, the A321-100 was and is still fine for most other markets. The numbers of 757 for which the A321NEO is the best replacement is in the US, Europe and most other countries abandoned the 757 as they did not need the extra oomph.
The improved efficiency of the A321NEO is welcomed by all but if you do not need the extra range and payload its just more excess. The additional delay to the A321NEO was to provide additional range / payload, now if that is primarily targeted to the US market is it large enough to justify a FAL and what would be the benefit to Airbus? If they are moving to the Euro how much hedging in US Dollars do they need?

InsideMan

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:26 pm

as mentioned somewhere above, the long term strategy is to have long range in TLS and narrow body in HAM. Exception is the A380. As per current plans the A30X will be built exclusively in HAM, which is why I think if we will see a new FAL, it will be in HAM.

pwdalmech

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:41 am

I could see Airbus setting up an A320 FAL in Mobile, Alabama after they win another large order from a large US airline. I also see them moving the A330 FAL line to Mobile once the A350 goes into production.
Pure Power

zeke

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:12 am

Quoting pwdalmech (Reply 18):
I could see Airbus setting up an A320 FAL in Mobile, Alabama after they win another large order from a large US airline. I also see them moving the A330 FAL line to Mobile once the A350 goes into production.

I had similar thoughts, it took an order of around 150 frames to get the FAL in China built. I think they have enough orders from the US, and if you look at all potential order from North and South America, I think there is more than enough demand to justify opening up the production line.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

tdscanuck

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:48 am

Quoting pwdalmech (Reply 18):
I could see Airbus setting up an A320 FAL in Mobile, Alabama after they win another large order from a large US airline.
Quoting zeke (Reply 19):
I think there is more than enough demand to justify opening up the production line.

I'm not sure the China example is really relevant to opening an assembly line in the US. The US carriers don't care where the plane is built (they're been ordering planes built in Canada, Brazil, and Europe for decades).

China's government is heavily involved in the aircraft purchasing process so I can see how they'd bargain a FAL into the order, but that just isn't how the US carriers would work. Given that it only takes ~6 hours to move the plane from Europe to the US there's nothing about a big US order that should spur Airbus to put a FAL in the US.

Airbus should put it where it makes business sense...that includes orders you might win (and orders you might lose), proxmity to existing resources and engineering, integration into the production system, etc., etc. If the 787 has taught anybody anything, it's that distributing your production system to widely is not conducive to high production rates.

Tom.

zeke

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 am

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 20):
Given that it only takes ~6 hours to move the plane from Europe to the US there's nothing about a big US order that should spur Airbus to put a FAL in the US.

Apart from putting more of the production costs in USD rather than EUR and the ability to use surface transport efficiently in both directions, and the ability to continue production through the Christmas period where things normally shut down in Europe.

InsideMan

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:01 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 21):
Apart from putting more of the production costs in USD rather than EUR and the ability to use surface transport efficiently in both directions, and the ability to continue production through the Christmas period where things normally shut down in Europe.

labour is less than 10% of the actual production cost, therefore it makes sense to buy parts in $$$ but not soooo much to pay wages in $$$, at least if you can offset that by saving somewhere else, e.g. transportation...

PanHAM

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:20 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 3):
Quoting zeke (Reply 21):
Apart from putting more of the production costs in USD rather than EUR and the ability to use surface transport efficiently in both directions

Parts for the Chinese assembly line are ferried by barge from Finkenwerder/ to the container port in Hamburg whch is just a few kilometer upstream where they are loaded on regular container ships. A380 sections that move between XFW and TLS are transported by ship and the two plants on the Loire estuary and XFW would be the natural places for further extension.
powered by Eierlikör

par13del

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 21):

Which then flies in the face of the latest rumours that Airbus is considering switching from the USD to the EURO for their a/c pricing and sales. As you have always mentioned, a number of Airbus parts are already sourced from the USA, putting more in the US when a switch is being contemplated would seem weird, as for increasing production in the US, let's remember the bashing the American people recently got during their debt debate, I would think Airbus shareholders and supporters would think twice unless they were only blowing smoke.
As for the Christmas period, the entire company was / is built around those European practices, it has certainely not hurt Airbus in getting to where they are today so if it ain't broke, why fix it, would it not be better to attempt to change the European culture and have Europeans take less days off like the Americans, or is that something that cannot attempt.

airbazar

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 14):
The US government purchases hugh numbers of military items from foreign suppliers from a/c to missiles, to vehicles.

The typical American voter doesn't know and doesn't even dream of this.

Quoting par13del (Reply 14):
Presently US Airways is listed as the largest single Airbus a/c operator in the world with around 232 a/c, that is a single carrier, when you add in UA, DL, B6, F9 and others the USA as a country is probably largest operator of Airbus a/c

The typical American passengers and voter doesn't know and probably doesn't even dream of this.
In addition, the typicall Amercian voter doesn't know or dream that Boeing's brand spanking new 787 is mostly built by China/Japan/S.Korea/Europe.
http://blogs.apics.org/ypst/wp-conte...0/104664-Boeing_787_DreamLiner.gif
In time of populist politics like the present, perception is king and those who make the most noise usually get more attention. That is why we don't have an A330 assembly line in Mobile.

par13del

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 25):
The typical American voter doesn't know and doesn't even dream of this.
The typical American passengers and voter doesn't know and probably doesn't even dream of this.

Unfortunately, there are some folks who seem to think Americans care, perception and reality.

That is why we don't have an A330 assembly line in Mobile.

I would say because you don't need it, other countries import finished goods from the US and the US does as well, no need for Airbus to shift jobs from Europe to the US to build tanker a/c.
Other than providing assembly type jobs, their is no transfer of technology to the USA, after all , if that were the case, GM and Ford quality would have increased decades ago when Japanene and European auto firms opened up factories.
Unlike a number of other countries, plant investment in the US is primarilly a commercial venture done by private companies and states looking for local jobs, their is no federal government involved making it a national venture that must benefit the nation.

r2rho

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 21):
Apart from putting more of the production costs in USD rather than EUR and the ability to use surface transport efficiently in both directions,

Indeed, it would give them more room to play with production rates - depending on the exchange rate, they could shift assembly between US and EU to partially balance out exchange rate fluctuations.

Quoting InsideMan (Reply 17):
As per current plans the A30X will be built exclusively in HAM, which is why I think if we will see a new FAL, it will be in HAM.

That's the plan, but by the time the A30X enters service around 2025-27, with a huge Indian & Chinese middle class wanting to fly, I doubt that a single FAL will be able to meet world demand.
In any case, I see a problem of physical space if they were to add a FAL to XFW. It would likely require claiming more land from the river or buying adjacent properties. For the same time, cost and legal battles needed to do that, they could have 3 FALs in China.

PanHAM

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 24):
would it not be better to attempt to change the European culture and have Europeans take less days off like the Americans, or is that something that cannot attempt.

At least we have culture in Europe, one could answer. Now, it is not only the Europeans, we have, from Chinese New Year over Muslim, Jewish and Christian holidays to various public holidays all over the world really little time where all of the global workforce is putting things together at the same time. It is soimetoimes a nuisance, especially when dealing with Australia where everything seems to close down Dec 15 and opening up when Chinese New Year is over but, it works.

Simply becaise someone is working somewhere all the time and if it only are the managers keeping matters afloat. A company with global customers and operations, be that Airbus, Boeing or a freight forwarder, can deal with such matters and before Europeans get less days off, Americans will get more holidays.