delta2ual

DL: A Well-run Airline?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:25 pm

I thought the following article was interesting. It seems many of my friends at DL would disagree. Maybe it's just been a rough summer, but crews are telling me that they don't remember things being so chaotic. Also, isn't the "new" UAL outperforming DL in just about every metric?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2834...pany-that-is-seriously-undervalued
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

david21487

RE: DL: A Well-run Airline?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting Delta2ual (Thread starter):
It seems many of my friends at DL would disagree. Maybe it's just been a rough summer, but crews are telling me that they don't remember things being so chaotic.

What are they disagreeing with? The article was about finances and DL's position in the economy, not daily frontline operational issues that a crew member may encounter.

By the way, from an f/a standpoint, this summer was a cakewalk compared to the last few at DL.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

acidradio
Crew

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:55 pm

I think I will jump in on this one right now. When we see a thread like this, especially poking at the performance of a particular airline, aircraft manufacturer or other entity it embroils into a fight. I am taking this opportunity to let everyone know that while we support a rational, spirited DISCUSSION backed with EVIDENCE and EXPERIENCE we intend to watch this thread closely. If a fight ensues we will archive it.

I think there are two questions here - operational metrics and financial metrics. This article seems to discuss the financial metrics side of things more than anything. How do the two play together? I will let you guys sort this out. Thanks!
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

jetjack74

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Quoting Delta2ual (Thread starter):
I thought the following article was interesting. It seems many of my friends at DL would disagree. Maybe it's just been a rough summer, but crews are telling me that they don't remember things being so chaotic. Also, isn't the "new" UAL outperforming DL in just about every metric?

The chaos from my POV(PMNW) is the lack of awareness by crew scheduling as to the scheduling shortfalls by DL schedulers. Constantly, we're being crewed on aircraft where we really aren't needed. Many times, we've been "forgotten" while on a layover during IROPs. I'm sure it has something to do with the unfamiliarity of our contract. But I as a whole, I think DL is much less tight with money than NW was. I think NW was run better in the efficiency category, than the way DL is run, but that's not to say that DL is run poorly. I think the constant brau-beating of DL in the press project an image of incompetance, from the outside-looking-in.
Made from jets!

mayor

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 3):
I think DL is much less tight with money than NW was. I think NW was run better in the efficiency category, than the way DL is run,

Thinks certainly have changed in 6 years.......used to be DL threw around nickels like they were manhole covers.

I think the constant brau-beating of DL in the press project an image of incompetance, from the outside-looking-in.

I just wonder why there is so much focus by the media on any bad thing that DL does.....seems much more so than other airlines. WN hardly ever gets any bad press and yet, you know that they make mistakes, too. Those same mistakes would make headlines if it was DL.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

delta2ual

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:36 am

I guess what surprised me from the article was the part about there being "a company that dominates its industry". From a financial perspective, whether it's earnings, CASM, RASM, etc., I was under the impression that UAL was outperforming DL. Being formerly/currently employed by both, I'm a DL/UAL fan and was not trying to make this thread another heated debate (we have enough of those already).
My comment about my friends that are still at DL was more based on the operations, which many have said could be better. Of course, I was an "RD" (real Delta) for 15 years, and my partner, who's a PMNW pilot, sees things differently. As he puts it, he "doesn't drink the kool-aid". LOL

I think NW was run better in the efficiency category

I agree.

gigneil

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 am

United's financial performance is far greater than Delta's, however, Delta is performing better than or equal to the industry as a whole.

So fiscally, I don't think anyone has any issue with how Delta is run.

NS

catiii

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 6):
United's financial performance is far greater than Delta's, however, Delta is performing better than or equal to the industry as a whole.

So fiscally, I don't think anyone has any issue with how Delta is run.

NS

Good point but the real question is for how long? I've only been following the UA/CO merger from a distance' but it would seem to me that while UA is now performing better than DL, it's doing so without having yet extracted many of the benefits from the synergies of the merger. It would stand to reason if that hypothesis is true that at some point UA will then really take off from a shareholder value standpoint.

Also, purely from a standpoint of market cap, the only real peers we can compare DL to are WN, UA, and to a far lesser extent (maybe) AA.

gigneil

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 am

Oh I fully agree that UA's financial situation will only improve.

NS

FURUREFA

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:27 am

To me, I see the "Delta difference" really being the all-around atmosphere of the company.

Working at Delta, I see that the majority of us really enjoy our jobs, love Delta, and trust senior executives. They treat us with respect, and I think everyone understands that for employees to prosper, Delta must as well.

I have some good friends at UA and AA, and I can tell you that they do not feel the same way about their respective companies. My friends at UA see both good and bad in the company. From what I know and see at AA, however, the environment is truly toxic.

While at first glance the above has little to do with the operational and financial performance of an airline, I think that having all the employees on the same page, working hard to make Delta successful, leads to significantly better company performance.

Sure, the company isn't perfect. And there does exist some PMNW bitterness. But I see less and less of it everyday, and some of the most bitter PMNW people right after the merger have now become some of the biggest Deltoids out there.

Can UA succeed in making employees happy? Only time will tell. But I think that AA's problems have such deep roots, that I'm not sure how they will overcome them.

indiansbucs

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 4):
Those same mistakes would make headlines if it was DL.

Remember that "everyone will try to hold you back... if you want or you are trying to set the pace..." Its like a natural law.

Quoting catiii (Reply 7):
Also, purely from a standpoint of market cap, the only real peers we can compare DL to are WN, UA, and to a far lesser extent (maybe) AA.

I do believe in it too... Top 3 are DL, UA and WN inside the US... AA isnt doing things right and it shows...

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 9):
To me, I see the "Delta difference" really being the all-around atmosphere of the company.

Working at Delta, I see that the majority of us really enjoy our jobs, love Delta, and trust senior executives. They treat us with respect, and I think everyone understands that for employees to prosper, Delta must as well.

I have some good friends at UA and AA, and I can tell you that they do not feel the same way about their respective companies. My friends at UA see both good and bad in the company. From what I know and see at AA, however, the environment is truly toxic.

While at first glance the above has little to do with the operational and financial performance of an airline, I think that having all the employees on the same page, working hard to make Delta successful, leads to significantly better company performance.

Sure, the company isn't perfect. And there does exist some PMNW bitterness. But I see less and less of it everyday, and some of the most bitter PMNW people right after the merger have now become some of the biggest Deltoids out there.

Can UA succeed in making employees happy? Only time will tell. But I think that AA's problems have such deep roots, that I'm not sure how they will overcome them.

Couldnt agree more to it... I do work for DL too and the feeling is the same. I do have friends on both AA and UA/CO which dont feel exactly satisfied with how they are running their airline. I do believe that there is still some NW vs DL mental conflicts around... but they tend to disappear with time...

MSPNWA

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:11 am

I think I read this article when it first was posted, and I found it a little strange. For example, "dominates the industry". How can one say that about any airline? Then it goes into DL vs. AMR. Well right now about any airline looks good compared to AA. How about writing about how DL stacks up against UA, WN, and the rest? Just a little strange, IMO.

AA94

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 am

Quoting indiansbucs (Reply 10):
I do have friends on both AA and UA/CO which dont feel exactly satisfied with how they are running their airline.

My mom is an ex-AA employee, my dad is an AA million miler, and my two aunts currently work at AA, so I've seen many a perspective about AA from the AA side, and the feeling is exactly how indiansbucs put it above. She says that "back in the day" everyone really looked up to management, but that was before 9/11 happened and the industry kind of turned in a different direction. She and my dad remember it when flying was kind of in the "golden era," and they all say that AA is not the same airline it was, and it's not in any better position.

I fly DL and AA in about equal amounts, and I've always been 100% satisfied with the service I get on DL. My last crews on TATL flights all give off the vibe that they really enjoy their job and are proud to say that they work for Delta Air Lines. Kind of makes you forget about all the other "baggage," liquids out, secondary screenings, profits, etc.

So in response to the thread starter's question, I would say that DL is a very well managed airline from the personnel/operations/frontline point of view ... I'm not familiar with DL's financials, so I really can't provide any comments about that ...

-AA94
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

coachclass

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:18 am

I have a lot of mixed feelings about AA, and I know that there are difficult management/union/labor issues, but at least they didn't file for bankruptcy, which I would assume protected the employees' pensions/benefits. I'm not sure what happened to Delta's but I believe United employees lost big time their pension/retirement benefits. My question is, if Delta is well run, is it looking after its employees as well as its bottom line?

ckfred

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:31 am

I think you can find a lot of employees across the entire industry who think management sticks.

I know AA pilots who hated Bob Crandall. At first, they liked Don Carty, because he ran AA like Crandall, but he was far more affable. Then after the wage concessions, the employees got mad at Carty with the whole bonus issue. Now, they don't care for Arpey and wish that they had Crandall back.

When I remind them of the things that they said about Crandall, their response is that they hated Crandall for wanting to be cheap with labor, but they knew that AA under Crandall was run better than any other carrier.

As for Delta, my father used to say that Delta stopped being run well, when management decided to forget its southern roots. A full breakfast used to have grits. Then, the grits disappeared. That's when DL stopped being run well.

b727fa

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 4):
I just wonder why there is so much focus by the media on any bad thing that DL does.....seems much more so than other airlines.

B/C DL is now so big. This year is 1000% better than last. We took our eye off the ball in the last few years. We've made huge changes. We recover from WX issues faster; MX staffing in "out-stations" is better than "line-mx/contract" now, new hire inflight crews, Asia staffing being brought back in house, etc. We may be an old ship, but we're a good one and we are making the right moves.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

FURUREFA

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 15):
B/C DL is now so big. This year is 1000% better than last. We took our eye off the ball in the last few years. We've made huge changes. We recover from WX issues faster; MX staffing in "out-stations" is better than "line-mx/contract" now, new hire inflight crews, Asia staffing being brought back in house, etc. We may be an old ship, but we're a good one and we are making the right moves.

That's right, and operationally we've improved a lot. DOT customer complaints are significantly down year-over-year. And in June, for instance, Delta's misplaced bag ratio was 2.99 per 1000, which is better than AA's, CO's, UA's, and US's, while our A14 was impressive at %78.5. Only AS, WN and FL had better A14's than us, which is impressive considering the different types of business we conduct.

Operationally, we're doing a lot better now that a lot of the merger items have been smoothed out.

bobnwa

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 16):
while our A14 was impressive at %78.5.

Please explain A14, to those of us who have no idea.

BD338

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 9):

Gordon Bethune believe the same in his book 'Worst to First'about turning CO around and WN have practised the same philosophy for years,treat your employees wel and that will show in the results. A good experience makes a customer want to come back. DL has a lot of debt, but a plan to pay it down, if they continue to improve employee relations and focus on service (a bit variable in my recent experience) and can translate that experience consistently across the regional fligts then there are the prospects of astrong future for DL?

FURUREFA

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 17):
Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 16):
while our A14 was impressive at %78.5.

Please explain A14, to those of us who have no idea.

When the DOT and airlines measure their base metrics, they generally talk about a few things, like:

A14: Arrivals within 15 minutes of scheduled arrival time
D0: On-time departures
FFD0, "kick-off D0", etc: On-time departures on the aircraft's first flight
MBR: Misplaced bag ratio: Misplaced bags per 1,000
Completion Factor: Percentage of operated flights (vs. cancelled)

mayor

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 18):
Gordon Bethune believe the same in his book 'Worst to First'about turning CO around and WN have practised the same philosophy for years,treat your employees wel and that will show in the results.

Just as an FYI, DL was doing this long before Bethune and CO and before WN even existed. Just a little history lesson.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

commavia

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

I don't think there is any question that - all things considered - Delta is an extremely well-run company these days, focused on profitability and free cash flow. Most importantly, Delta's management has taken the fullest advantage possible of Delta's bankruptcy filing, and it is definitely paying dividends.

I think there are some issues Delta will have to address in the next few years:

* Aging fleet
* Lack of fleet commonality (too many fleets/sub-fleets)
* Potential for unionization
* Strategic direction of NRT hub
* Superfluous U.S. hubs (CVG/MEM) to close

But, again, I think Delta's management team has proven themselves more than capable of addressing all of these issues.

aajfksjubklyn

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 21):
I think there are some issues Delta will have to address in the next few years:

* Aging fleet
* Potential for unionization
* Strategic direction of NRT hub
* Superfluous U.S. hubs (CVG/MEM) to close

But, again, I think Delta's management team has proven themselves more than capable of addressing all of these issues.

How much does this mimic what AA just went through (less NRT but replace w/ LHR)....hummmmmmmmmmmm

commavia

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 22):
How much does this mimic what AA just went through (less NRT but replace w/ LHR)....hummmmmmmmmmmm

Not at all. AA doesn't have a connecting complex ("hub") at LHR - they connect tons of people each day there onto ongoing flights operated by the local hub airline. Delta has no such arrangement at NRT.

BD338

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am

[quote=mayor,reply=20]Gordon Bethune believe the same in his book 'Worst to First'about turning CO around and WN have practised the same philosophy for years,treat your employees wel and that will show in the results.

Just as an FYI, DL was doing this long before Bethune and CO and before WN even existed. Just a little history lesso

If that is true then a lot of the time in my past 15 years of flying DL it didn't show.

Flaps

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:27 am

From a passenger perspective I only have one issue with Delta. I have been flying four segments per week with DL for the last month and a half. Completion rate has been 100%. A few delays here and there but nothing exceeding 30 mins and no misconnects. I have found both the inflight and ground employees to be very good in comparison to my experiences at UA, US and AA. Only FL has exceeded DL and not by a huge margin. All flights have been very full, over 90%. If they are managing yields as well as capacity then they should be showing some fine financials. As for my only issue, they block out 20% of their seats from being pre-assigned. This results in some inconveneience for me as I am constantly having to go to the podium at the gate for seat assignments but I have always been able to score an aisle or middle. It is a big issue for me, big enough to cause me to switch carriers if all were equal. Bottom line though is DL is doing eveything else well enough that I have been able to live with it and stay loyal.

All in all from my perspective as a regular customer and a management professional I do believe that DL currently is a well run airline, at least in comparison to its competitors.

aajfksjubklyn

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 23):
Not at all. AA doesn't have a connecting complex ("hub") at LHR - they connect tons of people each day there onto ongoing flights operated by the local hub airline. Delta has no such arrangement at NRT.

I agree...but at the end of the day both airlines are doing the same thing two different ways. Its the other bullet points I was referring to.

mayor

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 24):
If that is true then a lot of the time in my past 15 years of flying DL it didn't show.

That is true.....as another poster said:

Quoting B727FA (Reply 15):
We took our eye off the ball in the last few years.

Perhaps even longer than that....things hit us that we just were not used to, i.e. losing money, poor performance figures, sagging customer service, etc. and I don't think we were prepared to deal with them. Hiring Leo and his gang was a mistake........getting away from "promotion from within" could be proven to be a mistake. We probably spent the last 15 years or so, just trying to keep our heads above water, never mind trying to improve things. That's not an excuse, just the way it was.

delta2ual

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 27):
Perhaps even longer than that....things hit us that we just were not used to, i.e. losing money, poor performance figures, sagging customer service, etc. and I don't think we were prepared to deal with them. Hiring Leo and his gang was a mistake........getting away from "promotion from within" could be proven to be a mistake. We probably spent the last 15 years or so, just trying to keep our heads above water, never mind trying to improve things. That's not an excuse, just the way it was.

That's true. I remember once hearing that DL won "best airline in the US" for something like 17 years in a row. I think that ended in the early 90's. That was also before "outsiders" started to run things. I wonder if that way of doing business (DL through the late 80's/early 90's) would work in today's world?

mayor

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Quoting Delta2ual (Reply 28):
That's true. I remember once hearing that DL won "best airline in the US" for something like 17 years in a row. I think that ended in the early 90's. That was also before "outsiders" started to run things. I wonder if that way of doing business (DL through the late 80's/early 90's) would work in today's world?

I think management started to listen too much, to what the airline analysts had to say at the time......old fashioned, not aggressive enough, need fresh blood to run the carrier, etc. Once they started to implement the changes that would correct these so called "shortcomings" things started to change.

There were any number of "internal" candidates possible when they wanted to replace Ron Allen, but they thought it was necessary to hire from outside......hence, Leo & gang. They could have promoted Whit Hawkins, Hollis Harris, Maurice Worth.......all of who were the "old guard" at DL and had worked under or were working for DL when Mr. Woolman was still there.

[Edited 2011-08-23 13:52:44]

airbuske

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Wow, I'm honestly really glad to read accounts on other organizations within the company making great forward strides. This pales in comparison to the shambolic state of affairs in Delta Tech Ops where intergration is just about to begin.

mayor

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 am

Quoting airbuske (Reply 30):
This pales in comparison to the shambolic state of affairs in Delta Tech Ops where intergration is just about to begin.

Really?? I assumed that MX/Tech Ops was ahead of the game.

moman

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:45 am

I find DL to be very well run from a customer perspective - it feels like employees are empowered to make immediate changes and decisions on the spot. I have not had this kind of service with other carriers.

The employees are normally friendly and proud of their company. I was at WHQ a few weeks back and everyone was extremely pleasant - the icing on the cake was touring the Heritage museum.

Richard Anderson and his management team are competent and speak very well for themselves and their industry. I'm glad to support Delta Air Lines.
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:53 am

Quoting Flaps (Reply 25):
All flights have been very full, over 90%. If they are managing yields as well as capacity then they should be showing some fine financials. As for my only issue, they block out 20% of their seats from being pre-assigned. This results in some inconveneience for me as I am constantly having to go to the podium at the gate for seat assignments but I have always been able to score an aisle or middle. It is a big issue for me, big enough to cause me to switch carriers if all were equal. Bottom line though is DL is doing eveything else well enough that I have been able to live with it and stay loyal.

All in all from my perspective as a regular customer and a management professional I do believe that DL currently is a well run airline, at least in comparison to its competitors.

You will find this issue with many airlines in light of flying more "lean". LF has been very high the past few years. So now, there are more customers than past trends with "Seat Request Cards". It's very annoying. Believe me, I know. And there are many pax that do not understand that they WILL get a seat. But because of when they checked in/bought the ticket, etc. a seat couldn't be assigned because a good portion are blocked. Many think they are stand-by or what not.

Quoting airbuske (Reply 30):
Wow, I'm honestly really glad to read accounts on other organizations within the company making great forward strides. This pales in comparison to the shambolic state of affairs in Delta Tech Ops where intergration is just about to begin.
Quoting mayor (Reply 31):

Terribly behind the power curve. I have a realtive that lives in Atlanta that was a long time ramp agent who recently transfered into the stores department. He said things are pretty bad. Getting better but still pretty bad. Makes all the difficulties they (ACS) went through during/post merger look like a cake walk.
What gets measured gets done.

LAXtoATL

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 33):
Terribly behind the power curve. I have a realtive that lives in Atlanta that was a long time ramp agent who recently transfered into the stores department. He said things are pretty bad. Getting better but still pretty bad. Makes all the difficulties they (ACS) went through during/post merger look like a cake walk.

Please elaborate on what the specific issues are. This question is coming from someone with little technical knowledge, things like stores department need a little more description.

NWAESC

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 31):

It depends on what angle you are looking at. From a "people" perspective, yes (certainly when compared to, say, IFS). From a systems standpoint, there's a long way to go yet.

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 34):
Please elaborate on what the specific issues are. This question is coming from someone with little technical knowledge, things like stores department need a little more description.

There are some regular readers of this board that can better specify where Tech Ops/stores are currently vs. where they need to be, but the short version is that integration (inventories- the parts themselves- aligning records, systems, and so on) has been a mammoth undertaking that just isn't done yet. As noted, progress continues, but the finsih line is still off in the distance.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 am

You will find this issue with many airlines in light of flying more "lean".

It's more of an issue with Delta because of the number of subfleets, particularly with 757-200s and M88s. When a reconfigured M88 gets subbed for one with a rear galley, they "block" 25 seats or so that had been previously assigned.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:23 am

Quoting cubsrule (Reply 36):
they "block" 25 seats or so that had been previously assigned.

Where do the 25 seats come from? The difference between the two are 2 FC seats and 5 YC seats. Or are you saying more seats are blocked on the MD88 than they are on the M8R.
What gets measured gets done.

cslusarc

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 21):
* Aging fleet

These will solve themselves. As Delta continues with it interior refurbishment we will see the number of sub-fleets reduced. When older late 1980s and early 1990s vintage aircraft will be retired we will see newer aircraft like the 737NG take their place increasing fleet commonalty.

[Edited 2011-08-24 19:36:22]
--cslusarc from YWG

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 37):
Where do the 25 seats come from?

They block the entire rear of the aircraft and reassign it at the gate - it doesn't make much sense to me either, but I've seen it a couple of times.

cubastar

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 4):
......used to be DL threw around nickels like they were manhole covers.

Would you happen to remember in the "old" days, there was the rumor that Mr. Woolman suggested that we save and recycle paperclips? Actually, I believe that he really thought that. He was a Great Gentleman!

mayor

Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:47 am

Quoting cubastar (Reply 40):

Would you happen to remember in the "old" days, there was the rumor that Mr. Woolman suggested that we save and recycle paperclips? Actually, I believe that he really thought that. He was a Great Gentleman!

Oh, I heard that quite often. We even had one of our guys that used to a little skit that involved the stub of a pencil

catiii

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 am

Quoting cslusarc (Reply 38):
As Delta continues with it interior refurbishment we will see the number of sub-fleets reduced. When older late 1980s and early 1990s vintage aircraft will be retired we will see newer aircraft like the 737NG take their place increasing fleet commonalty.

But will we? For example, I thought I had read on the 738 fleet that some would never get the AVOD.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am

Quoting cubastar (Reply 40):
Would you happen to remember in the "old" days, there was the rumor that Mr. Woolman suggested that we save and recycle paperclips?

Sounds like a great idea to me! All of us doing something "little" like that can really add up.

BTW, NW used to have a reclamation department. Anything you didn't need-or had an excess of- you could send in, and they in turn would redistribute the items to those that did. Does DL have something similar?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Surprise

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:37 pm

I think from a business standpoint DL has improved greatly since the merger. Many NW practices have been incorporated and it's made a huge difference. Lets face it. DL was never that good at accountability and ensuring it lived up to it's own expectations. Now I see it in every area of the operation. If your area isn't performing you better have a pretty good reason why and a plan to fix it. ATL is a really good example. Ever since I've been there it's been this enormous bumbling, stumbling giant that kind of kept rolling along. The problems were always sort of justified by "It's ATL, it's huge". No more. Every aspect of the operation is now looked at and the improvements are really pretty amazing. Belt tightening is everywhere and performance is expected at levels that just a few years ago were thought impossible.

One of the biggest differences is the speed in which we now make changes. In the past it would take forever to change the simplest policy or procedure. No more. I really attribute this to senior management. One of Richard Anderson's rules of the road is "Speed Wins" and that is very apparent in today's DL. Thing happen very quickly now and again it's really showing up in the operation.

There is still a lot of work to do and improvement needed but I'm more optimistic about DL's future now than I've been in my whole career.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Quoting Surprise (Reply 44):
The problems were always sort of justified by "It's ATL, it's huge". No more.

Your sentiment doesn't correlate well with at least this customer's experience, which is that the delays are as bad as ever and the customer service has gotten worse - one agent who doesn't speak English isn't sufficient for a fully loaded M88.

Surprise

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Quoting cubsrule (Reply 45):
Your sentiment doesn't correlate well with at least this customer's experience, which is that the delays are as bad as ever and the customer service has gotten worse - one agent who doesn't speak English isn't sufficient for a fully loaded M88.

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I don't mean to imply we don't still have problems, we do. But for the first time we are agressively facing them, breaking them down and taking corrective actions to fix them and our On Time and Baggage numbers prove it. Problems like the one you discribe still exist but the are more in the area of 1 off rather than the rule.

ATL is the largest operation in the US if not the world and weather, even in other parts of the country still plays the largest role in the delays there and as ATL goes, so goes the system. Even the this catagory DL has been much more proactive in dealing with forcasted weather problems.

Again, my point is that we are doing things we've never done before and it's showing. I really believe this is now a well run airline.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Quoting Surprise (Reply 46):
But for the first time we are agressively facing them, breaking them down and taking corrective actions to fix them and our On Time and Baggage numbers prove it.

Which on-time numbers? Not June's (for DL mainline at ATL).

2011: 74 percent
2010: 72 percent
2009: 80 percent
2008: 78 percent
2007: 70 percent

I don't see much of a trend here.