doug
Topic Author

Impact of Hurricane Irene On US East Coast Airports

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 am

I expect some massive cancellations of flights into and out of Miami from Thursday on we hope for the best but Irene is looking like a monster.AA as well as most other airlines at MIA,FLL,and PBI maybe JAX might have have to relocate aircraft elsewhere to ride out the storm.

airportugal310

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 am

There goes my diving trip for this weekend... :-P

Looks like its rapidly strengthening into a Cat 3/4 with expected landfall around the Carolinas. Should prove to be an interesting week/end for many...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

canyonblue17

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:20 am

We are watching it very closely at PBI. So far no cancellations, but I don't expect it to stay that way very long. Probably no terminators Wednesday night at the least is my guess,

I'll do my best to keep A.net updated as plans change tomorrow......more to come.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

canyonblue17

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:25 am

As a side note.....did anyone snap some shots of the NOAA Gulfstream that has been doing all sorts of high altitude hurricane Irene hunting from TPA?

canyonblue17

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:29 am

Just saw The Weather Channel crew is now reporting live from the beaches about 2 miles from PBI. Because West Palm Beach sticks out a little bit along the coastline, forcasters are predicting we will be the closest to the storm in FL, Gotta go dust off the storm shudders.

hiflyer

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:16 am

Per the last NHC Tropical Storm forecast map the whole SE coast of Florida appears to have a 50 pct or better chance of tropcial storm force winds during passage. These would come in the spiral bands surrounding the storm as it moves up the the GulfStream or maybe just east thru the Bahamas. Normally during those bands you see pretty much a halt to air service due winds and precip...winds alone stop jetways and catering trucks by the way once they get 35 to 40 sustained....and visibility for ground movement is poor during a band passage....and add in that invariably the winds come from a not usual direction (like due north) and create a large crosswind component since every major runway in SE Florida is east/west....grin. Rule..not exact...is bigger aircraft bigger crosswind can handle....but around 30-35 will shut them down also. A RSW or TPA departure or even MCO may be better.

miaskies

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Living in South Florida (Miami) for 20+ years I can tell you the following:

Weather Forecasters are predicting the Greater Miami Metro area (including FLL) will fair well. 8% chance of having Hurricane Force winds and about a 50% chance of seeing some tropical storm winds with the outer bands. Keeping in mind that is with the outer bands and not sustained for hours on end.

Hurricanes like Irene have what is called a "Dirty Side" the dirty side to these type of storms is always on the eastern and northeastern quadrant. That said if it stays true to this track, MIA and FLL should fair well for the most part.

I would not expect massive cancellations for days on end. As stated, airlines can take off and land with winds that are reaching almost tropical storm level so it gives them some room to get flights out. Just check with your airlines, they are accustomed to handling these type of situations down here. I am sure we will see some delays and cancellations as precautions. Our versions of Nor'easters  

I say the airports to watch closely now are SAV,CHS,ILM,RDU,ORF and obviously NAS and FPO. I expect major delays and cancellations there.

Stay safe everyone!
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

sw733

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 6):
Weather Forecasters are predicting the Greater Miami Metro area (including FLL) will fair well.

Most tracks are putting it up to a Cat 4 east of Florida, immediately over the northern extremes of The Bahamas. The Bahamas will get the brunt of this storm, more than Florida, before it drops back to a Cat 3 and hits the Carolinas. Most of the projected paths and data I have been following agree to this.

It looks like if any part of Florida gets hit, it'll be the central coast, not the southern coast. Even that is unlikely though....at least hurricane level weather.

miaskies

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 6):
I say the airports to watch closely now are SAV,CHS,ILM,RDU,ORF and obviously NAS and FPO. I expect major delays and cancellations there.

With latest advisory...looks like Virginia and dare I say D.C. may get hit as well. IAD, DCA,BWI problems in the future?!

sw733

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 8):
IAD, DCA,BWI problems in the future?!

Entirely possible, but it depends where it hits. If it hits South Carolina and moves north, it could be fairly weak when it gets to DC. Still thunderstorms and delays, but not necessarily anything catastrophic. If it doesn't hit until northern NC/southern VA, that's another story...

beefstew25

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

MLB should see some nice wind and rain. I wonder if MLB will get the Transaero 744 out before the winds hit.
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

AKLDELNonstop

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:02 pm

I am supposed to fly into MIA this Thursday evening for the weekend. Hopefully it will not get cancelled.  

sw733

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Weather Underground's newest projection has the path a little further east now, not really impacting Florida much at all. Rather, it has it now striking in southern North Carolina and working its way north...impacting the DC area with Cat 1 hurricane strength. That could be...interesting...

jaylink

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Good news for all of you MIA people, but I needed to go to PHF (near ORF). Looks like AirTran is offering Bahamas people a week to reschedule and hopefully VA people will get the same.

flymia

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Yea, South Florida is dodging a big bullet. NAS should close down sometime Wednesday last afternoon I would imagine. Plenty of flights going out of there today and early monring Wednesday to get tourist out of there. I would imagine Bahamasair will fly their aircraft to FLL and MIA to keep them there while the storm his the NAS area. As for MIA and FLL expect a decent amount of cancelations especially to all flights in the Bahamas and maybe even some other destinations due to en-route weather. Expected big delays due to the fact that intense thunderstorms will be on and off for much of the day thursday. MCO, RSW, TPA might get some diversions. But I dont see any type of airport shut down. Maybe a ground stop or something like that. The Carolina's and even DC/VA area will have a lot of problems Sunday it looks like. Many airports will shut down there.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

sw733

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Does anyone know what Air Turks & Caicos will do (or did) with their aircraft? Some small a/c that cannot go very far from an island (PLS) that is right in the bulls-eye approximately...now. Just curious, as a T&C fan, what they might have done.

EDIT: Looks like they have escaped to KIN

[Edited 2011-08-23 10:41:28]

canyonblue17

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:57 pm

A series of 4 C-130T Hercules aircraft been arriving at PBI today to evacuate residents of the US Navy facility on Andros Island in the Bahamas. Each aircraft holds 86 pax.....although I saw at least 2 dogs deplane as well. Photos to follow soon.

eastern747

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 pm

So what happens to all those cruise ship people scheduled to fly in/out this weekend? When you have a storm like this you can't really go around it...thoughts.

B6JFKH81

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Well, it looks like the eastern seaboard and the NE won't be able to catch a break this week. First a freakin' earthquake, and now the projected path heading up the coast and going for NY LOL! ***BANGS HEAD ON DESK***

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

NASCARAirforce

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Quoting doug (Thread starter):
I expect some massive cancellations of flights into and out of Miami from Thursday on we hope for the best but Irene is looking like a monster.AA as well as most other airlines at MIA,FLL,and PBI maybe JAX might have have to relocate aircraft elsewhere to ride out the storm.

What will probably end up happening is that MIA will NOT close, however if some strong bands go through some diversions might occur with planes going to MCO. MCO will also experience some of the strong bands from time to time Friday - with diversions going to TPA.

eastern747

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Ok, am I pissed... I was going to Tripoli on vacation this weekend...WELL, THAT WON'T HAPPEN. So i rescheduled a trip to NAS and MIA....GREAT! And my tickets are non-refundable...So I thought to fly to NYC to see some shows...Any thoughts LOLOLOLOLOLOL

B6JFKH81

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 20):
Ok, am I pissed... I was going to Tripoli on vacation this weekend...WELL, THAT WON'T HAPPEN. So i rescheduled a trip to NAS and MIA....GREAT! And my tickets are non-refundable...So I thought to fly to NYC to see some shows...Any thoughts LOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Go west, young man" LOL!

lhr380

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:53 pm

And my tickets are non-refundable

If the flight is canx, you would get your money back?
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

miaskies

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 pm

NAS I would consider skipping, the islands and their infrastructure may suffer heave damage. But I would still come to Miami, we are expecting rain bands Thursday into Thursday evening and early Friday. Once they leave you can expect AMAZING weather. I can tell you from experience, with Hurricanes this size once they leave the area they suck all the moisture and energy behind it so we are going to get some clear blue skies and amazing days to follow. Pool side will be fine but the beaches may still be choppy with big waves.

flymia

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:17 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 17):
So what happens to all those cruise ship people scheduled to fly in/out this weekend? When you have a storm like this you can't really go around it...thoughts.

Well there are not too many ships down here this time of year, most leave on fridays-sunday so looking at the track as long as they get into port in Florida on Friday everything should be fine. This ships can go through just about any type of weather you can think of. All depends if they are back in port or not. But I would imagine they would figure it all out. Maybe arrive a day early etc.. They have plans for this. Usually they give passengers money off on another cruise.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 18):
Well, it looks like the eastern seaboard and the NE won't be able to catch a break this week. First a freakin' earthquake, and now the projected path heading up the coast and going for NY LOL! ***BANGS HEAD ON DESK***

Well it all depends if it stays over land, turns on the coast, turns out to sea etc. Right now the National hurricane center has it hitting the Southern New Jersey Coast. But expect the whole east coast from North Carolina to Maine to have some nasty weather this weekend. Air travel will not be easy. Look that it wont be a strong storm by then though. Also the left/west side of the storm will be on the coast which is always the weaker side.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 15):
EDIT: Looks like they have escaped to KIN

Thanks for the info, I was going to say Jamaica or Cuba.

NAS will close at 12pm tomorrow.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

kgaiflyer

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 8):
With latest advisory...looks like Virginia and dare I say D.C. may get hit as well. IAD, DCA,BWI problems in the future?!

I've got a one-day excursion ticketed for Saturday BWI-EWR-FLL / FLL-EWR-BWI . I'm sure I can depend on at least one miss-connect.

But that's okay. I've slept in EWR more than once.   

CairnterriAIR

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Going to be a rough weekend all the way up the coast into New England. A bit of a concern here in Western Mass as we look to be on the right side of the hurricane ithis is indeed the track it will take. Yes it may weaken, but two months ago we had a bad tornado..many damaged buildings that have yet to be fixed and can't take too much wind and rain right now.

B6JFKH81

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting CairnterriAIR (Reply 26):
Going to be a rough weekend all the way up the coast into New England. A bit of a concern here in Western Mass as we look to be on the right side of the hurricane ithis is indeed the track it will take. Yes it may weaken, but two months ago we had a bad tornado..many damaged buildings that have yet to be fixed and can't take too much wind and rain right now.

I'm also concerned about being on the east side of the hurricane (I'm on Long Island). A week ago we got 10" of rain that soaked us really good, and with winds coming out of the south that strong, coastal flooding and storm surge can be a really bad thing for our entire south shore, not just flooding and whatnot, but some of the beaches just cannot handle any more erosion   

canyonblue17

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:27 am

Here is a photo of one of the C-130s conducting the Andros Island evacuation. Each carried 86 passengers.....some of the 4-legged kind.

flymia

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:53 am

Quoting canyonblue17 (Reply 28):
Here is a photo of one of the C-130s conducting the Andros Island evacuation. Each carried 86 passengers.....some of the 4-legged kind.

Thanks for the pic! Never even knew the US Military had ops on Andros

Incase someone wants to know what they do http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanti...ndersea_Test_and_Evaluation_Center
They take good advantage of the tounge of the ocean. 6,000ft waters so close to shore. Pretty crazy.That explains the missile ranges, airspace warnings I always see on charts in the area.

[Edited 2011-08-23 19:10:20]

TransIsland

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:53 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 14):
Yea, South Florida is dodging a big bullet. NAS should close down sometime Wednesday last afternoon I would imagine. Plenty of flights going out of there today and early monring Wednesday to get tourist out of there. I would imagine Bahamasair will fly their aircraft to FLL and MIA to keep them there while the storm his the NAS area. As for MIA and FLL expect a decent amount of cancelations especially to all flights in the Bahamas and maybe even some other destinations due to en-route weather. Expected big delays due to the fact that intense thunderstorms will be on and off for much of the day thursday. MCO, RSW, TPA might get some diversions. But I dont see any type of airport shut down. Maybe a ground stop or something like that. The Carolina's and even DC/VA area will have a lot of problems Sunday it looks like. Many airports will shut down there.

For spotters who are interested, UP has announced that it will be flying its aircraft to RSW to ride out the bad weather around lunchtime today.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

readytotaxi

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Some unsurprising news from this side of the pond.BA cancelling flights.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...lightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=4278

"Hurricane Irene is disrupting our services to and from Nassau. The airport will be closing from 1600 GMT on Wednesday 24 August and is not expected to re-open until Thursday 25 August."
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

TransIsland

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 31):
"Hurricane Irene is disrupting our services to and from Nassau. The airport will be closing from 1600 GMT on Wednesday 24 August and is not expected to re-open until Thursday 25 August."

So glad that BA know what they're talking about. As of right now (roughly 2000GMT), NAS is still open. But I am not too sure there'll be too many flights in and out tomorrow (Thursday), in fact I'd be surprised if there were.

So far, no serious damage reported for the southern islands, and Nassau (the city) is slowly shutting down.

ScottB

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 32):
So glad that BA know what they're talking about. As of right now (roughly 2000GMT), NAS is still open.

Well, in all fairness, they most likely consulted with their meteorological department and Bahamian authorities for a prediction as to when NAS would close. I doubt they were eager to send a widebody full of vacationers down towards NAS, only to have to strand the passengers for days in Florida if the NAS airport were to close (and I doubt many were eager to board a flight to a destination with a major hurricane bearing down on it).

Quoting CairnterriAIR (Reply 26):
Going to be a rough weekend all the way up the coast into New England.

Not a good weekend to be using a NYC-area airport, and BOS will have issues on Sunday if the current track holds up.

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm

First, my thoughts to those who might be impacted or were impacted. My brother is expecting the hurricane in his backyard at 3am Monday! (Hopefully it shifts!)

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 18):
First a freakin' earthquake

5.9 ain't a freakin' earthquake.    My toddler can shake a table more than a 5.9 will. Talk about earthquakes starts at 6.5 in my book.

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 23):
But I would still come to Miami, we are expecting rain bands Thursday into Thursday evening and early Friday. Once they leave you can expect AMAZING weather.

Post hurricane weather is amazing (at least in Florida). Worth experiencing. I wouldn't recommend the 'during the hurricane' bit though...

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

TransIsland

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 33):
Well, in all fairness, they most likely consulted with their meteorological department and Bahamian authorities for a prediction as to when NAS would close.

In all fairness, NAS and the Bahamas gov't announced yesterday that NAS would be open until late this afternoon, probably early evening, and looking at every weather map I've seen since, this position still makes perfect sense.

flymia

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:35 am

So glad that BA know what they're talking about. As of right now (roughly 2000GMT), NAS is still open. But I am not too sure there'll be too many flights in and out tomorrow (Thursday), in fact I'd be surprised if there were
Quoting TransIsland (Reply 35):
In all fairness, NAS and the Bahamas gov't announced yesterday that NAS would be open until late this afternoon, probably early evening, and looking at every weather map I've seen since, this position still makes perfect sense.

UP annouced yesterday they were stopping flights at 12pm, I think there was one American Eagle flight at 1pm or so, but BA and most other airlines canceled the majority of there flights after 1pm or so and that is the right call IMO. UP wanted to make sure it got its aircraft out of NAS and into RSW. How can BA take the chance of their 767 going MX with passengers at the airport and the 767 having to weather out the storm. Or having passengers stranded in MIA. They made the right call by canceling their flight early.

So far, no serious damage reported for the southern islands, and Nassau (the city) is slowly shutting down.

I expect to see some moderate damage in the Eastern Islands looks like NAS wont have too much to worry about on the weaker side of the storm. But sustained winds at 120mph looking at this map some islands are getting a direct impact right now. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap.../205314.shtml?radii?large#contents

comorin

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 34):
5.9 ain't a freakin' earthquake.

5.9 on the 80th floor on HARD East Coast schist bedrock = 7.0 on SOFT Californian whatever.  

Don't forget, our Earthquake toppled over a lawn chair!

cotparampguy

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 am

If Irene were to NYC as currently predicted, where will all the aircraft at JFK, LGA and EWR head to? Is there a plan in place to get the aircraft out of harms way?

Sinlock

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 14):
I would imagine Bahamasair will fly their aircraft to FLL and MIA to keep them there while the storm his the NAS area.
Quoting TransIsland (Reply 30):
For spotters who are interested, UP has announced that it will be flying its aircraft to RSW to ride out the bad weather around lunchtime today.

Trans, Not sure where you read that announcement, but the Dash-8 fleet is here at FLL we had them all tucked into bed around 4pm.

par13del

RE: Impact Of Hurricane Irene On US East Coast Airports

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:19 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 35):

Issue with the BA flight is that it usually continues to either Turks or Cayman depending on the day, arrives NAS around 2:pm then returns around 6:pm for a 9 or 10pm departure back to the UK. BA certainely could have attempted to contact folks in NAS scheduled for the return to attempt to leave early, but based on their initial arrival time, possible weather enroute and any adjustments the female makes at the last minute, better safe than sorry.

So far today Thursday 07:15am in Nassau can hear the wind, not much rain, but due to my shutters, can't see a d*** thing, have my batteries all charged so depending on the all clear hope to get some shots later this evening or early in the morning.

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Whether this is a direct impact or not in NYC, there will be a major impact on airport ops at all 3 airports.

B6, DL, AA, and CO are likely to shut down operations for heavy rain and strong winds.

jcarv

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 33):
Not a good weekend to be using a NYC-area airport, and BOS will have issues on Sunday if the current track holds up.

I think BOS will definitely have problems if flights are operating during storm. Runway 15R/33L is closed until September 30th so strong ocean winds would lead to a crosswind problem at some point I think.

EIBoston

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:47 pm

How strong do the winds have to be to stop flights? Or does it depend on aircraft type etc?

doug
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Although Miami was spared for the most part today there are about 70+ cancelled flights mostly AA and Bahamas Air.

kgaiflyer

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 37):
Don't forget, our Earthquake toppled over a lawn chair!

It not just lawn chairs. www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2512229

TransIsland

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 39):
Trans, Not sure where you read that announcement, but the Dash-8 fleet is here at FLL we had them all tucked into bed around 4pm.

Official press release issued by UP on Tuesday.

Looks like flights continued until about 3:30pm yesterday. Airport remained open after that, but not many movements any more.

Quoting par13del (Reply 40):
So far today Thursday 07:15am in Nassau can hear the wind, not much rain, but due to my shutters, can't see a d*** thing, have my batteries all charged so depending on the all clear hope to get some shots later this evening or early in the morning.

There's a seperate thread for this aspect of the discussion in non-av.

BWI5OH

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I have to fly AUS-DEN-BWI on friday, so the storm will still be too far south to affect my arrival. However, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that Irene blows through the mid-atlantic quickly, as I leave out of IAD at 8PM sunday night....
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"

B6JFKH81

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh, I just love this freakin map. Hmmm...I have over 200 hours of time off I can take, maybe I should leave Long Island for a few days LOL!

flymia

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 40):

Looking at maps on the NHC seems like Nassua did not get any sustained hurricane force winds. I would imagine damage to be minimal in NAS. Wonder when flights will start again. Tonight maybe?

Quoting doug (Reply 44):
Although Miami was spared for the most part today there are about 70+ cancelled flights mostly AA and Bahamas Air.

Well there are a lot of flights down to the Bahamas from MIA to begin with. Weather in the area has not been too bad. Have had some heavy rain but not lightning or heavy winds.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 48):
Oh, I just love this freakin map. Hmmm...I have over 200 hours of time off I can take, maybe I should leave Long Island for a few days LOL!

Weather Channel might be the worst place to ever get weather information. They hype everything up so much. Almost as bad as accuweather. That being said the whole East Coast from NC to BOS will have problmes this weekend. Expect a lot of dealys and probably thousands of cancelations.