bjorn14
Topic Author

UA To Buy 11K IPads For Flight Crew

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:42 pm

UA announced today that they will buy 11,000 iPads for the flight crew.

http://www.planetalkinglive.com/2011...es-ipad-for-paperless-flight-deck/

They claim it will save 326,000 gallons of fuel and a bunch of trees.

Is this the trend going forward...paperless cockpits?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

lightsaber
Crew

RE: UA To Buy 11K IPads For Flight Crew

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Wow.
I personally think paperless cockpits are the way to go. I have questions (link website blocked by my firewall):
1. How does UA put their software on the iPad?
2. Will a bluetooth keyboard be allowed/utilized?

I agree with the choice of tablets. It is just too convienient with the long battery life. 'Instant on,' and ease of use. My concern is the software for the data with Apple's notoriously tight lockdown on the consumer iPads. But I'm asking...

Quoting bjorn14 (Thread starter):

Definately.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

ikramerica

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 1):
I agree with the choice of tablets. It is just too convienient with the long battery life. 'Instant on,' and ease of use. My concern is the software for the data with Apple's notoriously tight lockdown on the consumer iPads. But I'm asking...

These are not consumer iPads. There are corporate deployment capabilities for iPad. Also medical app deployments, etc. You can also create your own apps w the sdk and deploy them locally.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ooslc

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:59 pm

I've always wondered what happens if the battery dies? Or if UA will install USB ports or plugs in the cockpits so you can charge the Ipad inflight... But awesome for a huge airline to do this! It'll save a lot for the environment: trees/pollution  

VS11

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:00 pm

There is a Jeppesen iPad app:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/microsites/jeppesen-mobile-tc/

My former employer has private jets and the flight department were getting iPads for the same reason.

delimit

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:00 pm

1. How does UA put their software on the iPad?

Apple allows companies to set up protected sites that only their employees can access for app distribution.
Lots of info here if you're interested: http://developer.apple.com/library/i...ion/Introduction/Introduction.html

2. Will a bluetooth keyboard be allowed/utilized?

There are keyboards for sale that work with the iPad. That'll be UA's decision.

Rdh3e

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Nice to see some investment in the employees! Hopefully we can see similar advances for the other work groups! Something like this that makes everybody happier is a win-win for the company.

snn2003

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Quoting OOSLC (Reply 3):
I've always wondered what happens if the battery dies? Or if UA will install USB ports or plugs in the cockpits so you can charge the Ipad inflight... But awesome for a huge airline to do this! It'll save a lot for the environment: trees/pollution  

Most of the CO planes have electric plugs in the FD. I have given my phone to the pilots before to charge for me on long flights.

SNN
One way, IAH-RTB please! No return ticket required.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Wonder if they'll install some custom docking stations that put the screens in an out if the way but easy to access location. Possibly with a locking clamp to prevent it from becoming a projectile.

calpilot

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm just glad to reduce my weight!

My bag is 43lbs. lol

bjorn14
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 6):
Hopefully we can see similar advances for the other work groups!

I could definitely see FAs using these for their manuals and BOB programs. What could other groups use them for?

delimit

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 8):
Wonder if they'll install some custom docking stations that put the screens in an out if the way but easy to access location. Possibly with a locking clamp to prevent it from becoming a projectile.

Hehe: http://www.flightdisplay.com/products_ipad_cockpit.php

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 10):
I could definitely see FAs using these for their manuals and BOB programs. What could other groups use them for?

Things like line-bidding/vacation-bidding apps, schedule planners, etc.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Rdh3e

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 10):

Doesn't necessarily need to be hardware driven things, but as the other poster said, soft products and more efficient processes for all of the ancillary things we do every day would be nice, and could further reduce paperwork etc. I for one would really like to see the SA travel process (at the gate) be automated further to relieve the strain on the gate agents to allow for better customer service and helping to drive on-time departures!

We've already seen the success of a few tech tools at the airports, but we need to implement more that actually HELP our people instead of trying to REPLACE our people.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 11):

Cool, but doubt the FAA would allow this in a commercial cockpit. Also not sure it would stand up to the rigors of 18 hour a day aircraft utilization. But this is the kind of company you would contract to design the unit for UA, assuming they can get it certified and produced quickly enough.

delimit

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 14):
Cool, but doubt the FAA would allow this in a commercial cockpit. Also not sure it would stand up to the rigors of 18 hour a day aircraft utilization. But this is the kind of company you would contract to design the unit for UA, assuming they can get it certified and produced quickly enough.

Yeah, that was a link to show what's possible. There are also docks that involve arms. You could probably have a custom solution that also had power,

Obviously in commercial service you'd need something that would pass FAA muster. The market for this, though would actually be pretty large. I think when UA does this others will follow and you will see a solution offered very quickly.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 15):
Obviously in commercial service you'd need something that would pass FAA muster. The market for this, though would actually be pretty large. I think when UA does this others will follow and you will see a solution offered very quickly.

No doubt.

But UA could get a huge number of HP TouchPads for less...  

delimit

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Haha. Are you kidding?! After that price drop they all just vanished. I was sort of sad. WebOS had a lot of promise.

EA CO AS

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:31 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 17):

Haha. Are you kidding?! After that price drop they all just vanished. I was sort of sad. WebOS had a lot of promise.

HP is now saying the quick sell-off of TouchPad inventory seems to validate the viability of WebOS - so stay tuned!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

UA191

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 am

UA announced today that they will buy 11,000 iPads for the flight crew.

http://www.planetalkinglive.com/2011...es-ipad-for-paperless-flight-deck/

They claim it will save 326,000 gallons of fuel and a bunch of trees.

May be a silly question, but are they able to add/play personal games on the iPads?
I'm sure the last thing UA needs is pilots overshooting an airport (NW) because of their company-provided iPads.
UA Global Services, DL Platinum Medallion, AC Super Elite - I love flying!!!

tozairport

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 am

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 6):
Nice to see some investment in the employees! Hopefully we can see similar advances for the other work groups! Something like this that makes everybody happier is a win-win for the company.

This is most definitely NOT an investment in the employees and it is not something that makes me happier. Now I have to carry around another device when before I had all of the company manuals on the aircraft. They didn't ask me if I wanted it and quite frankly I don't. Will the company install an app that allows the unit to be tracked? I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

Quoting UA191 (Reply 19):
May be a silly question, but are they able to add/play personal games on the iPads?

If any pilot would be dumb enough to put personal apps on a company supplied device, then he/she would deserve to get fired. Any and all usage can and will be tracked.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

B6JFKSEA

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:29 am

Alaska Airlines has been using the IPAD in the FD since June.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...echnology/2015164721_alaska28.html

bjorn14
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 am

Quoting tozairport (Reply 20):
If any pilot would be dumb enough to put personal apps on a company supplied device, then he/she would deserve to get fired. Any and all usage can and will be tracked.

Maybe UA will preinstall Angry Birds   

airbazar

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Cool, but doubt the FAA would allow this in a commercial cockpit.

Why not? Don't yokes have a mounted clip board for nav charts? What's the difference here?

Quoting UA191 (Reply 19):

That is for the each corporation to decide. At my company everyone gets Blackberries but they are completely locked up. No user other than the administrators are allowed to install or uninstall apps, web sites allowed thru the filters are very limited, and no personal email at all is accessible. Even the camera is blocked from use. To top is all off, the company policy states that if anyone even attempts to break in (i.e. somehow get around these restrictions), they'll be fired immediately.

c680

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 11):

The company already has a ton of STCs for various products, including older Boeing models, so I don't see why it would be any more difficult to get this thing approved.

http://www.flightdisplay.com/files/STC.pdf

Personally, I would like to have a yoke mount for our company iPads. It's hard to have to look at the thing in your lap on an approach.
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:24 pm

It has been the trend for quite a few years now. iPad is just the latest step.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Rdh3e

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Quoting tozairport (Reply 20):
This is most definitely NOT an investment in the employees and it is not something that makes me happier. Now I have to carry around another device when before I had all of the company manuals on the aircraft. They didn't ask me if I wanted it and quite frankly I don't. Will the company install an app that allows the unit to be tracked? I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

Of course they CAN track you. But they don't. Apparently the exact reason for the device is what angers you? Or maybe you just don't understand. You still HAVE all the company manuals on the aircraft, but they are digital. You probably also groaned when GPS was invented, and when CVR's went into use, and you probably don't turn channel 9 on because you don't like people knowing what you're doing.

Give it a rest. The company gives you this tool that WILL help you locate info faster, and make your job easier, and you're complaining about it.

FlyPIJets

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 16):
But UA could get a huge number of HP TouchPads for less...

Ha Ha. no they can't.

http://www.sdentertainer.com/news/hp-touchpad-tablet-discontinued/
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

VictorTango

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:52 pm

CX was also considering a paperless cockpit a couple of years ago. Apparently, still working on it.

tozairport

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 26):
Of course they CAN track you. But they don't. Apparently the exact reason for the device is what angers you? Or maybe you just don't understand. You still HAVE all the company manuals on the aircraft, but they are digital. You probably also groaned when GPS was invented, and when CVR's went into use, and you probably don't turn channel 9 on because you don't like people knowing what you're doing.

Give it a rest. The company gives you this tool that WILL help you locate info faster, and make your job easier, and you're complaining about it.

So you admit I'm right but then say not to worry because the company won't do it? You must not work for United. Ipads have nothing to do with CVR's, GPS, or anything like that so I'm not sure if you just don't understand the issue or if you just don't get the simple point I was making. Like I said before, I like having the company manuals on the aircraft. ON THE AIRCRAFT. I don't want an extra device to carry around and be financially responsible for. The company acts like it is doing something for the flight crews when it is really just doing something for itself. So unless you can walk in my shoes, YOU should give it a rest.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Rdh3e

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Quoting tozairport (Reply 29):
So you admit I'm right but then say not to worry because the company won't do it?

Correct. How many super's at the airport get in trouble for personal texting on their company blackberry? Or people at HQ fired for their internet browsing? Just because there is the ability to do so, doesn't mean anyone actually monitors it. That would be a waste of resources.

Your best point is concerning financial responsibility, and that is well received. I'd like to hear how one being lost, or stolen would be handled.