SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 42

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 am

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART XLII

"Tribute to Lanica and Aeronica"

Lineas Aereas de Nicaragua [Lanica] was the state owned airline from Nicaragua until it was grounded in 1979. The attachment posted below shows the airline flying to Panama City, Guatemala, San Salvador, Miami and Mexico City in 1977.
Lanica was set up as an affiliate of Pan Am in 1944 being Miami added in 1957 as a regular destination. The airline operated several types of aircrafts: Boeing 247, DC-3, DC-6, Viscounts, CV-880, C-46, BAC 1-11 and Boeing 727 for their domestic and international routes.
A new airline was founded in 1980 known as Aeronica. The carrier flew C-212, C-46, DC-3, DC-6 for cargo and domestic operations. As part of the legacy from the Soviet Union, the AN-32 and TU-154 also integrated the fleet. Finally, the Boeing 727 and Boeing 720 were also part of their equipments serving destinations from abroad.
The continuing economic problems seriously affected Aeronica “La línea del arcoris” and the airline was finally privatized and renamed again by the early 90s.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 42

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:26 am

Coming from the old thread:

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 199):
CM can´t market a LIR top product if it flies passengers to SJO and offrers land transportation to/from SJO. So no need to tie CM owners investment in a resort in Costa Rica with CM @ LIR, plain and simple as that.

I don't get that point very clear.
It's like the situation for Copa Airlines in Santo Domingo and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic where Copa Airlines offers independent flights. Coincidentally, the driving time between these cities is like the same four hours between San Jose and Liberia.
American Airlines, Continental and Delta are getting separate flights to both San Jose and Liberia on a daily basis at least.
Back to the situation of Copa Airlines, we discussed before in the forum how the airline promoted beach resorts in Saint Maarten when their services were about to commence there.

Regards.

viaggiare

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 1):
Coincidentally, the driving time between these cities is like the same four hours between San Jose and Liberia. American Airlines, Continental and Delta are getting separate flights to both San Jose and Liberia

Even the beaten-up cartel understood they needed mainline flights to Liberia (although 46-seater turboprops 4x weekly was the best they could do) or risk being left with the crumbs of the Guanacaste market.. and it's not just the four-hour drive but also the fact that we may arguably have the worst roads in CentAm.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

2travel2know2

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 pm

As previously stated, If CM starts LIR it won't be because CM owners might have investments in that area resorts.
There's a need to fly passengers direcly to LIR from PTY hub as it's the case rightnow with PUJ (and somewhat STI for POP resorts).
Eventually passenger demand will make CM fly directly to MBJ, not sure about VRA too, so to fly leisure passengers right there to where the resorts are located.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 2):
and it's not just the four-hour drive but also the fact that we may arguably have the worst roads in CentAm.

I dunno about that. Have you seen some of the roads here.....why you think PM does so well shuttling people around the country
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 3):
it's the case rightnow with PUJ (and somewhat STI for POP resorts).

Copa is doing excellent in Dominican Republic. CM PTY-STI will operate on a daily basis from December 15th whereas CM PTY-PUJ goes surprisingly to 3x daily in the same date.
These leisure destinations are running separate from the dedicated CM PTY-SDQ 5x daily service.
I envisage a similar behavior if Copa Airlines would initiate flights to Liberia in the future.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 3):
If CM starts LIR it won't be because CM owners might have investments in that area resorts.

Point taken. CM is running successfully in some of their leisure destinations and as far as I know, they don't manage investments into the resorts from Punta Cana, Cancun or Orlando.
Here's another point: Copa Airlines tends to couple their Central American stations: CM PTY-MGA-SAL, CM PTY-SJO-TGU, CM PTY-MGA-GUA, CM PTY-SJO-SAP, CM PTY-SJO-MGA and CM PTY-SJO-GUA. If CM would start services to LIR, I highly doubt how can it be related with another regional station.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 2):
Even the beaten-up cartel understood they needed mainline flights to Liberia (although 46-seater turboprops 4x weekly was the best they could do) or risk being left with the crumbs of the Guanacaste market..

TACA REGIONAL [SAL-LIR] 4x weekly is likely utilized to cater passengers from North America through San Salvador.
Perhaps any response for the possible entrance of Copa Airlines in Liberia might consist on TA LIR-LIM or TA LIM-BOG.
Furthermore, the airline doesn't seem to be interested to serve the healthy [LIR-MIA] route and American Airlines is taking advantage increasing their frequencies in such route to 13x weekly in November.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):
why you think PM does so well shuttling people around the country

PM drives some destinations where the ground transportation is not possible: San Pedro and Caye Caulker.

Regards,

viaggiare

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):
why you think PM does so well shuttling people around the country

Some of the most beautiful beaches here in Guanacaste have the worst roads leading up to them.. locals came up with a game years ago called "miss the pothole" which consists of snaking through the often-imaginary left and right lanes, then returning to the right when oncoming traffic approaches. 5C and RZ shuttles those who are either unfit or unwilling to play.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 5):
response for the possible entrance of Copa Airlines in Liberia might consist on TA LIR-LIM

TACA currently uses —through its T0 and LR subsidiaries— all frequencies negotiated by both countries (7x weekly for each side) during the I y II Reuniones de Consulta entre las Autoridades Aeronáuticas de Perú y Costa Rica back in 1997 and 2003 respectively.

[Edited 2011-08-25 15:40:30]

yellowtail

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:07 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 5):
PM drives some destinations where the ground transportation is not possible: San Pedro and Caye Caulker.

water taxis carry the bulk of the traffic at 1/10 the price.

copa330200

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:39 am

from La Prensa Panama: http://www.prensa.com/impreso/klm-volara-todos-los-dias-panama/20479
Desde el próximo 5 de noviembre la aerolínea europea KLM volará toda la semana desde la ciudad de Ámsterdam a Panamá.

Los directivos de la compañía franco-holandesa señalan que la decisión de aumentar a de seis a siete sus frecuencias semanales se debe al crecimiento económico que ha experimentado el país, en especial por la llegada de más capital extranjero, además de su atractivo como destino turístico.

La aerolínea, que vuela de domingo a viernes a Panamá, registra una ocupación de 88% en su avión MD-11 que tiene una capacidad para 285 pasajeros.

Registros de la empresa indican que los pasajeros que más utilizan la frecuencia entre Panamá y Ámsterdan son españoles, franceses, italianos, ingleses, asiáticos y centroamericanos.

Para el último trimestre del año también se espera que la compañía española Iberia incremente de cuatro a cinco sus vuelos semanales a Panamá

So basically, KL will increase from 6W to 7W while keeping the MD11   . Also they are expecting IB to increase from 4W to 5W .very good news indeed !!!   
On the run !!!

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 8):
Desde el próximo 5 de noviembre la aerolínea europea KLM volará toda la semana desde la ciudad de Ámsterdam a Panamá.

It was previously commented the intended plans for KLM in order to replace the MD-11 for the 772 next year.
KL AMS-PTY 7x weekly with 772 would be amazing taking into account the 88% of load facor in such route.
Once it will happen, the possibility to see Air France in Central America would be larger.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 9):
Once it will happen, the possibility to see Air France in Central America would be larger.

AF could well start trying PTY with a twice weekly ORY-FDF-PTY

I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 pm

CM146 PTY0906 – 1103MBJ E90 27
CM147 MBJ1239 – 1430PTY E90 27

effective 11DEC2011 —Source: Copa San José CTO

yellowtail

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 11):

effective 11DEC2011 —Source: Copa San José CTO

Surprised those guys in the Jamaican forum haven't picked up on it yet....they too busy talking about Usain Bolt!

avi8

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:04 pm

How many frequencies?
avi8

Medschool student

viaggiare

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 13):
How many frequencies?

Twice weekly: the 27 in that schedule means Tuesdays (2) and Sundays (7) only — when preceded by an X (as in X27) then it means EXCEPT — and a D all by itself means DAILY.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 11):

Montego Bay: another leisure station within the network of Copa Airlines and one more airport from the Caribbean meaning a strong coverage in that geographical region.
CM served that destination during the 90s as the triangular system: PTY-KIN-MBJ-PTY.
The airline is being cautious based on their limited frequencies and following the pattern of CM PTY-SXM 2x weekly which started in December 2010.
Here's one fresh press release related to the new service in Jamaica:

http://www.travelupdate.com.pe/inter...elo-desde-panama-hacia-montego-bay

Regards.

airjamaica

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:49 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 12):
Surprised those guys in the Jamaican forum haven't picked up on it yet

We haven't picked up on it due to the fact that nothing was mentioned in the news regarding this service. It was expected, but the official start announcement has not yet been released. CM's re entry into MBJ is not really news per say. It was only a matter of time before they would be back , even if it means offering them a revenue guarantee for the service.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 12):
they too busy talking about Usain Bolt!

Well naturally we would have to make mention of him in the thread as apart from being an iconic Jamaican figure on the tracks, he is also an integral part of brand Jamaica which is directly linked to our tourism industry, which inturn is directly linked to our aviation industry as well.
greenheart

viaggiare

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:58 am

Assuming CM is not bluffing about their plans to add 25 new destinations in the next seven years, methinks some (5–10) of those could possibly be in CentAm and the Caribbean..

CentAm: BZE — DAV — FRS? — LIRRTB?
Caribbean: ANUAZSBGICUR — FPO — GCM — GND — SCUSKBTABUVFVRA?

There are obviously numerous options elsewhere.. MTY — GEO — PZO among others in Venezuela — plenty of possibilities in Brazil alone.. whatever.. although perhaps we are somewhat more familiar with those two subregions above.

viaggiare

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 am

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 16):
apart from being an iconic Jamaican figure on the tracks, he is also an integral part of brand Jamaica which is directly linked to our tourism industry

Who came up with that idea anyway? New York public relations firm Ruder Finn?

airjamaica

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 18):
Who came up with that idea anyway? New York public relations firm Ruder Finn?

Actually it is not an '' idea ''. Just a fact. There is a direct link between Bolt, brand Jamaica and our tourism industry. It is that simple.
greenheart

viaggiare

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 19):
Actually it is not an '' idea ''. Just a fact. There is a direct link between Bolt, brand Jamaica and our tourism industry. It is that simple.

I get your point. Really, I do. Spain could learn a lesson or two from the Jamaica tourism authority when it comes to branding.. Iniesta and his national soccer team buddies could be a huge boost for the Spanish tourism industry.

CM767

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 17):
Assuming CM is not bluffing about their plans to add 25 new destinations in the next seven years, methinks some (5–10) of those could possibly be in CentAm and the Caribbean..

Well this year CM has proved that is not bluffing.  , I would not call it bluff if plans slow down due to economies later down the decade.

What do you see as posiblñe destinations on North America?

I would bet on LAS, DEN, PHL, BOS, SFO
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Quoting CM767 (Reply 21):
Well this year CM has proved that is not bluffing. , I would not call it bluff if plans slow down due to economies later down the decade

I have the magazine "The Hub of the Americas Expands. July 2011" handy.
It states their intended plans to grow from 57 destinations in 2011 up to 83 new stations in 2018, meaning around four new airports every year.

What do you see as possible destinations on North America?

What about FLL as back-up for Miami ?  
This idea may also apply for TACA as AVIANCA already flies the BOG-FLL sector.

Regards.

airjamaica

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:25 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 20):
I get your point. Really, I do. Spain could learn a lesson or two from the Jamaica tourism authority when it comes to branding.. Iniesta and his national soccer team buddies could be a huge boost for the Spanish tourism industry.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 15):
Montego Bay: another leisure station within the network of Copa Airlines and one more airport from the Caribbean meaning a strong coverage in that geographical region.
CM served that destination during the 90s as the triangular system: PTY-KIN-MBJ-PTY.
The airline is being cautious based on their limited frequencies and following the pattern of CM PTY-SXM 2x weekly which started in December 2010.

Hopefully the MBJ route will work out well ( both for CM and Jamaica ) as efforts are being made to tap deeper into the South American markets where tourism here is concerned. Also I like the fact that the flights will be operating to the '' second '' city non stop and not via KIN. Though they are being cautious with their expansion in the region, over all I think they have quite an impressive coverage.
greenheart

viaggiare

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:19 am

I wonder how cartel subisidiary Aeroperlas is doing with their ATR shuttles from the new terminal domestica in Tocumen out to BOC and DAV via PAC? — btw have they finally managed to put years of passenger complaints behind?

Also would like to know whether there has been any progress as of late with the relocated aeródromo in Pedasí.

2travel2know2 has suggested LAS numerous times. I agree with all the above.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 22):
What about FLL

Absolutely.

viaggiare

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:38 am

57 destinations in 2011

58 by year's end counting MBJ.. speaking of their extensive route network and considering daily nonstop flights to/from GUA, MGA, SAP and TGU, can SJO technically be considered a focus city for Copa?

copa330200

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:00 pm

agree !!! I think CM might frequency increase to YYZ, not idea if YVR might work ( note I'm not sure if this can be done with a 737)

I would like to understand better CM priorities since they are increasing leisure destinations which are normally very "cheap" tickets ..is CM getting goverment support on most of these routes ??
On the run !!!

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 25):
considering daily nonstop flights to/from GUA, MGA, SAP and TGU, can SJO technically be considered a focus city for Copa?

The focus city status is not well defined nowadays and perhaps it's only a designation from the airlines.
Copa Airlines certainly offers flights to Guatemala City, Panama City, Managua, San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa out of SJO and back. However, all these flights are rather originated at PTY.
On the other hand, GUA is a focus city on TACA supplying non-stop operations to Miami, Orlando [seasonal], Chicago, Flores, Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, Mexico City, Los Angeles, San Salvador and San Jose. Some of them are originated at either SAL or SJO.

Regards.

bjorn14

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Any chance LIO or PCZ ever gets North American service?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

avi8

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:31 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 27):
Copa Airlines certainly offers flights to Guatemala City, Panama City, Managua, San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa out of SJO and back. However, all these flights are rather originated at PTY.
On the other hand, GUA is a focus city on TACA supplying non-stop operations to Miami, Orlando [seasonal], Chicago, Flores, Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, Mexico City, Los Angeles, San Salvador and San Jose. Some of them are originated at either SAL or SJO.

Realistically I don't see TACA expanding service at GUA any time soon although they could get some money out of it.
avi8

Medschool student

2travel2know2

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:42 pm

My bet is LAS, BOS and SFO maybe next year. Wild guess: E190 to TPA and MSY.
UA showed no interest for ORD-PTY so I don't see UA flying SFO-PTY or DEN-PTY.
Since CM is in Staralliance, most likely CM will leave PHL, CLT and PHX to US.

What about FLL as back-up for Miami ?

If a cruise line or Southamerican tour operator selling cruise holidays departing from FLL guarantees CM x number of passengers wishing to fly directly to FLL, I'd guess CM may think to try FLL, even with E190.

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 26):
agree !!! I think CM might frequency increase to YYZ, not idea if YVR might work ( note I'm not sure if this can be done with a 737)

CM has already taken all of the non-charter frequencies available between PTY and Canada under Panama-Canada bilateral with the PTY-YYZ. However, if CM wants to, it's quite likely CM could add "a weekly scheduled charter frequency" now and then between PTY and YYZ just like they do (or used to do) with extra flights between PTY and CTG or other destinations when there were holidays in Panama.
PTY-YVR (or PTY-SEA for that matter) might work, but surely CM will have to fliy that route weight-restricted for optimum aircraft performance.

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 26):
I would like to understand better CM priorities since they are increasing leisure destinations which are normally very "cheap" tickets ..is CM getting goverment support on most of these routes ??

It's know CM has been recieving some local government support in several of its new routes. While I'm not an advocate for huge expansion in leisure destiantions, there's a demand for travel to those from deep South America (read Brazilians with an strong Real) which CM shouldn't neglect.

IMHO, the way the Centralamerican comercial aviation is developing, right now or in the near future, CM will find itself checking the numbers for flights from MGA to MEX and MIA; GUA to BOG, MIA, JFK and LAX, thus MGA and GUA really becoming CM focus cities.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

aer

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 29):
Realistically I don't see TACA expanding service at GUA any time soon although they could get some money out of it.

I think you mean even if they could get some money out of it.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 27):
Some of them are originated at either SAL or SJO.

Only all of the US cities and MEX.

An American friend recently visited CUN and wanted to go to FRS for a weekend trip to Tikal in November, but ended up canceling the plan because there are no flights that cover the route any more. The options were CUN-MEX-GUA-FRS or CUN-SAL-GUA-FRS at a ridiculous price.

[Edited 2011-08-29 07:45:43]
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

viaggiare

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 am

Quoting aer (Reply 31):
there are no flights that cover the route any more

So is BZE–FRS (PM) the only scheduled international route out of Santa Elena since FRS–CUN was run to the ground? I wonder if the route's demise was simply another instance of the well-documented TACA reverse Midas touch or an altogether new post-merger curse on the cartel by those bad-tempered Tikal gods.

aer

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:00 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 32):
I wonder if the route's demise was simply another instance of the well-documented TACA reverse Midas touch or an altogether new post-merger curse on the cartel by those bad-tempered Tikal gods.

Well as soon as SAL-CUN came to be, it was logical that they would axe FRS-CUN, would've wished that they instead started a SAL-FRS that connected .
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:41 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 30):
UA showed no interest for ORD-PTY

CM PTY-ORD 7x weekly is due to start on December 15th.
The interest may rather consist to add the UA designator in those flights later.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 30):
If a cruise line or Southamerican tour operator selling cruise holidays departing from FLL guarantees CM x number of passengers wishing to fly directly to FLL, I'd guess CM may think to try FLL, even with E190.

NK FLL-PTY 5x weekly is progressing in terms of frequencies and probably the cruise operators are not entirely filling these planes.
CM PTY-MIA is 4x daily nowadays and the possible CM PTY-FLL may complement these operations in the future.
Same with Viracopos/Campinas as back-up for CM PTY-GRU 3x daily.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 28):
Any chance LIO or PCZ ever gets North American service?

Puerto Limon is not comparable with Liberia in terms of tourism facilities for the time being.
LIO [Limon, Costa Rica] qualified as regional airport and it lies just 170 km away from the capital city.
In my view, FRS-MIA would happen first.

Copa Airlines will change the operational numbers on selected routes:

...Route.....................Disc Nov 30............Eff Dic 01
PTY-COR.................CM463/464............CM101/100
PTY-LIM...................CM475/476............CM761/760
PTY-LIM...................CM393/394............CM131/130
PTY-MEX.................CM447/265.............CM120/121
PTY-PAP.................CM428/427.............CM102/103
PTY-PUJ..................CM408/409.............CM110/109
PTY-PUJ..................CM158/159.............CM122/123
PTY-SXM.................CM228/229.............CM134/133
PTY-SJO-TGU.........CM824/825 ............CM144/145
PTY-SJU...................CM321/322.............CM142/143
PTY-SCL...................CM751/750.............CM117/118
PTY-SCL...................CM721/720.............CM111/112
PTY-SDQ..................CM195/194.............CM128/129
PTY-SDQ..................CM270/271.............CM108/107

Quoting aer (Reply 33):

Well as soon as SAL-CUN came to be, it was logical that they would axe FRS-CUN, would've wished that they instead started a SAL-FRS that connected

The second-daily TA GUA-FRS on AT4 also began when TACA REGIONAL [GUA-FRS-CUN] was dropped.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 34):
NK FLL-PTY 5x weekly is progressing in terms of frequencies and probably the cruise operators are not entirely filling these planes.

NK PTY flight sells because of price not because schedule or PTY origin passengers going onboard cruises out of FLL.

CM PTY-MIA is 4x daily nowadays and the possible CM PTY-FLL may complement these operations in the future.

CM most likely will add a 5th MIA daily before adding a FLL flight because in the meanwhile, CM would preffer to consolidate its operations in one South East Florida airport, MIA. Same as they've been doing in Central Florida with MCO and no TPA flights yet.
I strongly believe that only if a Cruise line and/or huge South American tour operator selling cruise holidays out of FLL ask for it, CM could fly to FLL. However, it'd be quite interesting to know how many passengers of MIA-PTY/PTY-MIA early morning and PTY-MIA/MIA-PTY evening flights are actually from Broward/Palmbeach Counties and Aventura area. For those FLL may prove to be more convenient.

Same with Viracopos/Campinas as back-up for CM PTY-GRU 3x daily.

The only way CM could grow in SAO rightnow, other than more flights operating @ GRU between midnight and early morning is to fly to VCP. It has a chance of happening too someday as VCP by itself also is a different catchment area than SAO.
The same scenario may be true with CM flying to Mexico City and looking to fly to TLC because Panama - Mexico bilateral won't allow more CM flights to MEX.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 31):
An American friend recently visited CUN and wanted to go to FRS for a weekend trip to Tikal in November, but ended up canceling the plan because there are no flights that cover the route any more. The options were CUN-MEX-GUA-FRS or CUN-SAL-GUA-FRS at a ridiculous price.
Quoting aer (Reply 33):
Well as soon as SAL-CUN came to be, it was logical that they would axe FRS-CUN, would've wished that they instead started a SAL-FRS that connected .

TA GUA-FRS has come under some pressure from TAG, but it should be a nice little profit center for them. FRS-RTB would also be an interesting idea for an AT4. There is an AT4 that sits for quite a while in RTB and the RTB resorts are very very eager for a link to Tikal and to GUA.

aer

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 36):
TA GUA-FRS has come under some pressure from TAG,

Well it's not like they're undercutting them since the price is the same and TAG has only 1 flight a day and not posted on the OAG (never known if that makes a difference)

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 36):
FRS-RTB would also be an interesting idea for an AT4.

True it would make a good flight, I always thought that TA should bring back GU's FRS-MID or (wishful thinking) add an SJO or start with a BZE.

Actually now that I think of it FRS could prove a good north meso-american regional focus city location wise for anyone.

yellowtail

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 37):
Well it's not like they're undercutting them since the price is the same and TAG has only 1 flight a day and not posted on the OAG (never known if that makes a difference)

actually 2. They have another morning one for PM in partnership with PM and it is doing really well. So I thik they have GUA-FRS departures at 06:30 and 7:30 and FRS-GUA at 9:15 and a 15:00. The 7:30 and the 9:15 flights are the partner ones.

Quoting aer (Reply 37):
True it would make a good flight, I always thought that TA should bring back GU's FRS-MID or (wishful thinking) add an SJO or start with a BZE.

Actually now that I think of it FRS could prove a good north meso-american regional focus city location wise for anyone.

FRS is growing despite its recent image problems. FRS-BZE has traffic but it is limited and it is controlled by PM, but a GUA-FRS-MID/RTB/CTM/SAP might do really well.

[Edited 2011-08-30 11:36:34]

juanchito

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:34 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 38):
actually 2. They have another morning one for PM in partnership with PM and it is doing really well. So I thik they have GUA-FRS departures at 06:30 and 7:30 and FRS-GUA at 9:15 and a 15:00. The 7:30 and the 9:15 flights are the partner ones.

Taken from their facebook page, posted on August 9.

ITINERARIOS DE LUNES A VIERNES
RUTA SALIDA LLEGADA FRECUENCIA
TAG AIRLINES GUA-FRS 06:30 a.m. 07:15 a.m. DIARIO
TAG AIRLINES GUA-FRS 07:30 a.m. 08:15 a.m. Lunes a Viernes
TROPIC AIR BZE-FRS 07:30 a.m. 08:15 a.m. Lunes a Viernes
TROPIC AIR FRS-BZE 09:00 a.m. 09:45 a.m. DIARIO
TAG AIRLINES FRS-GUA 09:00 a.m. 09:45 a.m. Lunes a Viernes
TROPIC AIR BZE-FRS 15:00 hrs. 15:45 hrs. DIARIO
TAG AIRLINES FRS-GUA 17:00 hrs. 17:45 hrs. DIARIO

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

avi8

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:49 am

I wonder if Continental express will ever return to flores. Maybe 1x week?
avi8

Medschool student

juanchito

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:00 am

Quoting avi8 (Reply 40):
I wonder if Continental express will ever return to flores. Maybe 1x week?

Could be 1 weekly with E170, maybe even twice weekly with E145.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 am

Monterrey is probably the next station for Copa Airlines in Mexico.
The airline already has the rights to operate Puerto Vallarta and San Jose del Cabo, Baja California.
The bilateral agreement between Mexico and Panama has been upgraded allowing 28x weekly frequencies into MEX-PTY and 35x weekly into CUN-PTY.
The GDL-PTY sector is getting 7x weekly frequencies and Copa will operate it on a daily basis from December 15th with 73G equipment.
AM MEX-PTY will be effective next year.

Source: http://eleconomista.com.mx/industria...sta-aeromexico-vuelos-hacia-panama

Regards.

viaggiare

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 42):
The airline already has the rights to operate Puerto Vallarta and San Jose del Cabo, Baja California

I doubt CM will exercise those rights anytime soon, if ever.. both places are simply too far from their hub (1652nm and 1937nm away) to be of interest to most South American tourists esp. when you consider CUN and PUJ are only 836nm and 857nm away from Tocumen, respectively.. so I just don't see it happening unless CM was granted beyond rights from, say, the northwestern USA or western Canada, and hell would freeze over before any of that happens.

viaggiare

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 am

There was an article in yesterday's New York Times about environmental concerns regarding the proposed Aeropuerto Internacional de la Zona Sur.

Not sure what it is this clueless Chinchilla administration intends to do anymore (aside from more of her demagoguery that is) since the original US$50M project near the river port town of Sierpe, drafted by the two previous administrations, has been watered-down (twice in less than six months) to US$25M and US$42M alternatives since then.. lmao and now for this article they seem to have spinned a different story..

Construction is planned in two phases from 2012 to 2016 at a cost of $35 million. An initial airstrip designed for 50 passenger planes will later be expanded into an almost 10,000-foot-long runway able to land the new A380

yellowtail

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Quoting juanchito (Reply 39):
ITINERARIOS DE LUNES A VIERNES
RUTA SALIDA LLEGADA FRECUENCIA
TAG AIRLINES GUA-FRS 06:30 a.m. 07:15 a.m. DIARIO
TAG AIRLINES GUA-FRS 07:30 a.m. 08:15 a.m. Lunes a Viernes
TROPIC AIR BZE-FRS 07:30 a.m. 08:15 a.m. Lunes a Viernes
TROPIC AIR FRS-BZE 09:00 a.m. 09:45 a.m. DIARIO
TAG AIRLINES FRS-GUA 09:00 a.m. 09:45 a.m. Lunes a Viernes
TROPIC AIR BZE-FRS 15:00 hrs. 15:45 hrs. DIARIO
TAG AIRLINES FRS-GUA 17:00 hrs. 17:45 hrs. DIARIO

I suspect the MTWTF flight will become daily....Tropic & TAG have kept it at MTWTF during the off season.

Quoting juanchito (Reply 41):
Could be 1 weekly with E170, maybe even twice weekly with E145.

Station costs would be too high for a one time weekly e-jet.

2travel2know2

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:32 pm

The airline already has the rights to operate Puerto Vallarta and San Jose del Cabo, Baja California.

Those destinatons in CM network really don't make any sense. If CM wanted Mexican leisure destinations, then because of distance from PTY, Huatulco would have been interesting.
There are important major secondary cities in Mexico like Tijuana, León-Guanajuato, Queretaro, Aguascalientes, Zacatecas, Veracruz, Merida, Mexico oil hotspot Villahermosa and MEX alternates TLC and PBC which would be more attractive for PTY hub traffic.

The bilateral agreement between Mexico and Panama has been upgraded allowing 28x weekly frequencies into MEX-PTY and 35x weekly into CUN-PTY.

So seems that Panama had to agree to PVR and SJC frequencies in order to get extra frequencies into MEX and CUN.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

aer

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 45):
Station costs would be too high for a one time weekly e-jet.

Well the original schedule was 1x with a E145, as for station costs... no idea what they are for GUA let alone FRS.

yellowtail

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 47):
Well the original schedule was 1x with a E145, as for station costs.

Wasn't it 4Xweekly?. Lfs were not good.

aer

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 48):
Wasn't it 4Xweekly?. Lfs were not good.

I really have problems with the 1x, 2x, et. al. any one know where I can get a dummies version? 

Well what i meant was that in the end they only had a Saturday flight. It did start as a Tuesdays and Saturdays, but got downgraded to once a week.