aacun
Topic Author

AA To Offer Turn Down Service In FC

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 pm

AA just announced turn down service in FC 777 international flights to London starting 01SEP, to be expanded to all 777 Intl FC flights on 01OCT. It includes a quilted bed topper for the FC suite, a new amenity kit, a light-weight blanket, pajamas, slippers, a premium duvet and pillow. 777, 767 and 757 business class will also have the same premium duvet, pillow, slippers and amenity kit.

American Unveils New Suite Of Premium Products On International Flights

[Edited 2011-08-29 08:21:35 by SA7700]

JDAirCEO

RE: AA To Offer Turn Down Service In FC

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:54 pm

That is really good. I believe this is a much needed amenity to further differentiate J from F. This service also helps BA and AA have more similar products, especially with the new seats/suites to be introduced on the 773s. (Recognizing there is still a ways to go before they are close to being the same.)
This will also makes AA the only US carrier to offer these amenities.

I will say the new amenity kits are a huge improvement over the previous ones, especially the experience of them. There will be a light blanket (or day blanket) offered but I wonder if the heavy duvet will also be available?

Seems like quite an investment in their premium product…
An MD-80 is great... in first class

qqflyboy

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Ah, beat me to it, lol! While I'm excited we're going to offer these new premium products, springing this new information on flight attendants three days before it takes effect is not exactly the best thing. It would have been nice if they "briefed" us on these changes before hand, and showcased the new products at base so we knew what the heck we're dealing with. The pax will have to forgive us as we fumble through making passengers their beds.

Either way, these are positive changes and I hope they are indicative of more amenities and benefits to come, not just for premium cabin customers, but all customers. I'm sad to lose the Burt's Bees products in the amenities kits, however.  
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

JetboyTWA

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Here is AA's marketing page describing the new service and amenities: www.aa.com/flybetter

washingtonian

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 pm

Always nice to see improvements. What's the latest on AA's plans to roll out lie-flat seats in Business?

LHRFlyer

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:06 pm

And BA now offers warm nuts and sundaes in First Class!

delimit

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 5):
sundaes

It is amazing the amount of good will a simple dessert has been able to generate for AA and DL.

Nice to see these improvements. I've alweays felt turn down was one of those services that's de rigeur in F. And Dermalogica is a great choice over using some licensed nothing product like so many seem to do.

fco110

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 4):
What's the latest on AA's plans to roll out lie-flat seats in Business?

Or a premium economy?

isitsafenow

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Turn down service? Am I flying American Airlines or Hyatt Skyways?
Just give me an on time departure AND arrival and drop the hotel crap, ok?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

etops1

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

In The current financial state that AA is in, I think that doing this is stupid and a waist of money they could be saving trying to get their airline back to profitibility .

jfk777

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting etops1 (Reply 9):
In The current financial state that AA is in, I think that doing this is stupid and a waist of money they could be saving trying to get their airline back to profitibility

This is for long haul international First Class passengers on 777 flying 8 to 15 hour long flights. The domestic FC passengers will not see this. Savings is quesionable if they don't do it.

UAL777UK

I think that doing this is stupid and a waist of money they could be saving trying to get their airline back to profitibility

I disagree, its a nice idea but they need to upgrade the F & J offering IMHO opinion first and really go to down. Their F suite is screaming out to be replaced and they need a fully flat J seat. I know its a hell of a lot of money but in the long term I am sure they will see the benefits and it would put them on a more even par with BA on the NY/LON Shuttle route. BAs new F class I think looks great and oozes class.

JDAirCEO

From the AA Press Release:
"Beginning Sept. 1, customers traveling onboard American's flights between the U.S. and London Heathrow (LHR) will be among the first to enjoy the new offerings. First Class customers traveling onboard Boeing 777s between the U.S. and Heathrow will receive a quilted bed topper custom-designed to fit American's popular Flagship Suite, pajamas and slippers as part of the airline's new turndown service. A lightweight day blanket, new premium duvet and pillow, and an amenity kit featuring a bag with an authentic Eames Office® design pattern and containing Dermalogica® skincare products and other travel necessities complete the new suite of amenities."

So it looks like the duvet will remain and be updated.

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 2):
I'm sad to lose the Burt's Bees products in the amenities kits, however.

Apparently these were unpopular becuase they were somewhat greasy and smelled too strong.

MAH4546

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 4):

Always nice to see improvements. What's the latest on AA's plans to roll out lie-flat seats in Business?

A new product - for every cabin - will be unveiled with the 77W and likely roll out, at least, to the the current 772 fleet and future 787 fleet.
a.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:46 pm

That is great news, looking forward to trying it out!

washingtonian

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting Delimit (Reply 6):
It is amazing the amount of good will a simple dessert has been able to generate for AA and DL.

Does United not serve sundaes up front?!

Was this really done to match American?

delimit

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 15):
Does United not serve sundaes up front?!

Do they? It's been ages since I flew UA up front, and even that was on a breakfast flight (perhaps the single worst meal I have ever had on a plane; the egg thing was literally nauseating).

Longhornmaniac

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm

What great news! Kudos to AA for getting themselves up to par with some of their alliance members, and certainly a firm step ahead of other domestic competitors.

I'm very much looking forward to trying these new things out on my fight from EZE-DFW in late October! Wish I could get the pajamas in J, though!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

etops1

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

USAirways serves ice cream sundaes in Envoy . And they also serve a hot breakfast in envoy .

BA174

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

In The current financial state that AA is in, I think that doing this is stupid and a waist of money they could be saving trying to get their airline back to profitibility

I think this has something to do with BAs ways since ATI as they have long since had the bed toppers and turn down service and it just makes sense that AA will try include a few BA services which they lack. I would not rule out BAs eastern US eastbound "sleeper service" coming to AA either.

spacecadet

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Quoting isitsafenow (Reply 8):
Turn down service? Am I flying American Airlines or Hyatt Skyways?

You are free to fly economy. This thread is about first class.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

exFWAOONW

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Quoting isitsafenow (Reply 8):

This harkens back to when UAL owned Westin Hotels.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

ozark1

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah, I too am baffled by waiting until 3 days before starting to let the flight attendants know about it. Guess it was a media thing, probably doesn't take too much to figure it out, plus with the contract negotiations on going (and on and on and on), I guess that made them keep it under wraps.

miner

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:19 pm

In The current financial state that AA is in, I think that doing this is stupid and a waist of money they could be saving trying to get their airline back to profitibility .

Business and First class fares makes AA tons of cash. Having a product that caters to those who pay premium fares is a logical step if they want to be competitive. If you look at what their OW partners offer in First, take a look at CX, QF and BA for example. AA has always been subpar, so this is great news and money well spent.

qqflyboy

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:33 pm

Quoting jdairceo (Reply 12):
Apparently these were unpopular becuase they were somewhat greasy and smelled too strong.

That is true of the lotion, but it was recently reformulated and packaged resulting in a much more desirable product. The lip balm was by far the favorite. It will be missed! Plus, I love that Burt's Bees products are natural, locally made (Durham, NC), and that they pump millions into conservation and to helping honey bees and their plight.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

ldvaviation

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 pm

Anyone else find the color scheme of the new amenity kits interesting?

Could this be a preview of any new branding scheme, premised on black and a coral red as the primary colors, with a black eagle?

I must say I like the choice of colors, very now. We will have to wait and see if they are just experimenting.

crAAzy

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:20 am

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 22):
Yeah, I too am baffled by waiting until 3 days before starting to let the flight attendants know about it. Guess it was a media thing, probably doesn't take too much to figure it out, plus with the contract negotiations on going (and on and on and on), I guess that made them keep it under wraps.

I think there are at lest some flight attendants that knew about this well in advance ....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...age/1243818-pyjamas-pajamas-f.html

JDAirCEO

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:22 am

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 24):
Plus, I love that Burt's Bees products are natural, locally made (Durham, NC), and that they pump millions into conservation and to helping honey bees and their plight.

I agree with you there but at least the mints are local (Boone, NC).

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 25):
Could this be a preview of any new branding scheme, premised on black and a coral red as the primary colors, with a black eagle?

I think it's nice. They are finally moving to something that looks more upscale and stylish. As far as the branding scheme, lots of new products (airplanes, entirely new redesign in all cabins) is a good indicator of an overhall of the brand.

AA obviously has to change the tired and corporate-ish brand and it looks like they are finally making the investment to do so.

fxramper

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:02 am

Do people actually sleep in jammies on a 6 hr flight? Are they gonna make me go change so they can 'turn down' the blanket? This is a waste because Horton said they were looking at new product in all cabins when new a/c types are introduced.   

qqflyboy

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:02 am

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 26):
I think there are at lest some flight attendants that knew about this well in advance ....

I had heard here and there from management the company was considering such things, but nothing concrete and no time frame was provided. The passenger who experienced this was likely on a test flight, which are very isolated flights and not advertised beyond the crew working the flight. As a Purser, I would have liked a little more notice, but being a flight attendant is ultimately about being flexible, and I try to roll with the punches, uh, changes, with grace.

Rafabozzolla

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:09 am

Quoting jdairceo (Reply 12):
So it looks like the duvet will remain and be updated.

As long as they manage to reduce the duvet bulk. It may be not important for F, but for us who fly J (poor us, LOL) the bulky duvet is awkward and space stealing.

Airvan00

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:18 am

I think these little things make a difference. The ice cremes handed out after the meal in Y on Qantas creates a happy cabin.

LipeGIG

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:12 am

That's an interesting development. I will begin my new collection of them soon on my next 8 flights on J or F now that i have such option.
Finally a move to make F looks like a First Class product.

I'm looking more than ever for my flights to Rio in November and December on J and finally, F !
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

fbgdavidson

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:18 am

Quoting jdairceo (Reply 1):
This service also helps BA and AA have more similar products, especially with the new seats/suites to be introduced on the 773s.
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
A new product - for every cabin - will be unveiled with the 77W and likely roll out, at least, to the the current 772 fleet and future 787 fleet.

When do the 773s come to AA?

While I'm excited we're going to offer these new premium products, springing this new information on flight attendants three days before it takes effect is not exactly the best thing. It would have been nice if they "briefed" us on these changes before hand, and showcased the new products at base so we knew what the heck we're dealing with. The pax will have to forgive us as we fumble through making passengers their beds.

Indeed, if this is the case it's not the best. It looks woefully unprofessional when an enhancement to the service is poorly executed.

As much I enjoy the sundaes when on AA I think they're not exactly a premium $16k return ticket product. I think BA do rather well in the dessert department in F and it'd be a shame to have them replaced by something like ice cream. I really hope they are an option as opposed to in lieu of...that said I know they are popular on AA.

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 11):
Their F suite is screaming out to be replaced and they need a fully flat J seat.

The F suites looks a bit knackered and the colour scheme a bit dated but they're actually one of the better seats out there. I agree 100% on the J seat though, nice as it is to score them on domestic flights why AA put them in whilst every other carrier was installing lie flat horizontals I'll never know....

Quoting fxramper (Reply 28):
Do people actually sleep in jammies on a 6 hr flight? Are they gonna make me go change so they can 'turn down' the blanket?

Absolutely. How long does it take to change? 2mins tops? Far more comfortable to sweat the overnight portion out in PJs than wear the same clothes on and off the flight. I change into PJs on longhaul dayflights too for the same reasons, and also because they act as an all in one napkin. On more than one occasion I've managed to avoid ruining a shirt because a glass of red or similar happened to go waywards for some reason.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

divemaster08

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:20 am

This sounds like a move to make them more on the same 'level' of service that BA offer on the JFK route also.

I mean its a step in the right direction but still is not BA first experience!
My dream, is to fly, over the rainbow, so high!

smi0006

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 28):
Do people actually sleep in jammies on a 6 hr flight?

I have been on several QF flights in both J and F and as soon as the crew handout PJs most people change into them frequently on the ground, the rest change after the meal service! Yes even on short 6-7hr flights! I personally will change in F but prefer not to in J as I keep my shoes on the whole flight, but I concede I am strange in that manner! lol. They are hugely popular, QF were considering offering them on all flights not just night flights, not sure what happened to that in the end. I have seen quiet a few of them being worn as running and gym gear at home too, not sure I would wear a big kangaroo to the gym, again I'm probably strange in that manner!

To be honest I can't believe these products and services where not offered prior to this! I would be very disappointed to be flying first and not receive them!

I look forward to seeing what AA have in store for us with the new cabins, looks like they are getting the basics right. I think they may need to refresh their crockery and cutlery some what too...

How does their seat compare? Looks like a decent design just needs a recover and refresh? What is that grey jacket the FA is wearing in the link, some form of inflight serving jacket I have never seen an AA FA wearing one. QF crew change into black serving jackets always looked very classy to me! I hope AA giver their employees a new uniform when the refresh the cabins, I don't think anyone fully understands the impact a uniform has on people!

Not to be rude but can someone explain everyone's love of Sundays? With all the great deserts in F why would anyone want a sunday of all things? Or are AAs deserts that bad that people want just a sunday?

usdcaguy

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 35):
Not to be rude but can someone explain everyone's love of Sundays? With all the great deserts in F why would anyone want a sunday of all things? Or are AAs deserts that bad that people want just a sunday?

For the uninitiated, it's spelled s-u-n-d-a-e and has nothing to do with a day of the week. To me, it seems to be a guy thing as I don't often see women partaking in them. My partner loves them whenever we fly up front, and David Sedaris has written about the sundaes he got while flying DL BusinessElite. (If I'm not mistaken, he used to choose DL especially for the sundaes, although I'm sure he would have easily flown anyone else who offered them.) I like sundaes, but after a huge business class meal, I don't always have room for dessert. In any case, it's one of those fun American things you just have to get used to and enjoy.

delimit

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 am

All I know is that either DL or AA (think it was DL) took the sundae off their menu in an attempt to class up their offering and their FFs went into open revolt.

People just love them, pedestrian or no.

LHRFlyer

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 33):
As much I enjoy the sundaes when on AA I think they're not exactly a premium $16k return ticket product. I think BA do rather well in the dessert department in F and it'd be a shame to have them replaced by something like ice cream. I really hope they are an option as opposed to in lieu of...that said I know they are popular on AA.

They are an additional option and they are also offered in BA Club World on North American routes.

It's good that both AA and BA are both taking steps to harmonise their products and passengers are getting more as a consequence.

BA174

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 pm

How does their seat compare? Looks like a decent design just needs a recover and refresh? What is that grey jacket the FA is wearing in the link, some form of inflight serving jacket I have never seen an AA FA wearing one. QF crew change into black serving jackets always looked very classy to me! I hope AA giver their employees a new uniform when the refresh the cabins, I don't think anyone fully understands the impact a uniform has on people

AA have a stupid mis match uniform concept. If I was AA management I would convert all staff to be in the grey suit and yellow tie/cravat design compulsory and have a uniform, uniform. AA by far have the worst uniform in Oneworld.

briboy

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm

I really hope they are an option as opposed to in lieu of...that said I know they are popular on AA.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. They are popular with Americans. It is good to hear they are offering them as an extra option on BA as well.

I change into PJs on longhaul dayflights too for the same reasons, and also because they act as an all in one napkin.

I remember reading your trip reports about changing into PJs on US domestic red-eyes, and the looks you got. I wonder how those who only fly AA will react? Like fxramper?
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

delta2ual

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:15 pm

I think this is a great service and, once again shows AA's commitment to LHR and their First (and Business) class products.
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

delta2ual

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Just spoke to an AA F/A friend who said the F/A's are already talking about taking the blankets home for their kids. No wonder this company can't make money!  
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

Aeroflot001

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 pm

How does their seat compare? Looks like a decent design just needs a recover and refresh? What is that grey jacket the FA is wearing in the link, some form of inflight serving jacket

Yes the grey Jacket is (I think) the "Flagship" jacket, While on the ground and after takeoff on longhauls that I have flown such as EZE-MIA, MIA-SCL, MIA-MAD they wear the standard blue jacket however once the FAs come out to take drink orders they've switched into the grey jacket for the remainder of the Dinner service and once it is complete they switch back, more or less that is how I have seen it done.

Aeroflot001

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Do we know if this will actually be a turndown service where there is a mattress with a sheet over the mattress and/seat and then the Blanket or simply just a thick quilt mattress that you sleep directly on? Even if it is the latter its still a nice improvement.

fbgdavidson

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 am

Quoting briboy (Reply 40):
I remember reading your trip reports about changing into PJs on US domestic red-eyes, and the looks you got. I wonder how those who only fly AA will react? Like fxramper?

You have a very good memory! That was four years ago now I wrote about that, and yes I did get some peculiar looks and remarks from one of the FAs. Have flown quite a few domestic red eyes since then but not changed into PJs...make of that what you will.

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 38):

They are an additional option and they are also offered in BA Club World on North American routes.

Didn't know that. My next few flights are in Club World so guess I'll try it out  
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

laca773

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:35 am

Either way, these are positive changes and I hope they are indicative of more amenities and benefits to come, not just for premium cabin customers, but all customers. I'm sad to lose the Burt's Bees products in the amenities kits, however.
Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 24):
That is true of the lotion, but it was recently reformulated and packaged resulting in a much more desirable product. The lip balm was by far the favorite. It will be missed! Plus, I love that Burt's Bees products are natural, locally made (Durham, NC), and that they pump millions into conservation and to helping honey bees and their plight.

A positive thing about Burt's Bees is they are made in America and the lip balm is great stuff. However, when you're paying $10,000., or more for a F/J ticket, they better offer better amenity kits and products in them. It doesn't look good when you can go and buy the products inside the kit @ CVS at low cost, This is more like it. These kits are now a step up and don't appear that American is cheap. Maybe down the line, we'll see AA get together with Kiehl's and they can use another well known, upscale brand.

I think BA was putting pressure on AA to step up to the plate and stop being so frugal and cutting corners. They need to do the same for their sister, IB!

Since AA charges for everything, they could make some money offering those in Y a chance to purchase the amenity kit for say $10-15.

MAH4546

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:47 am

When do the 773s come to AA?

Fall 2012.

AA attempted to phase out the ice cream and heard nothing but complaints. Americans are not ones for fancy dessert...we like our ice cream. It's a signature dessert at many upscale American restaurants. When I fly AA, I want my vanilla ice cream and Bailey's for dessert.

[Edited 2011-08-31 00:48:51]
a.

qqflyboy

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 46):
A positive thing about Burt's Bees is they are made in America and the lip balm is great stuff. However, when you're paying $10,000., or more for a F/J ticket, they better offer better amenity kits and products in them. It doesn't look good when you can go and buy the products inside the kit @ CVS at low cost, This is more like it.

I guess that's the sad thing to me, because I regard Burt's Bees as a far better product than most, and indeed it costs more than most common brands found in neighborhood drug stores, but by no means is expensive. As for Dermalogica, I'm not sure how prestigious this product is when it can be found in any strip mall in America with an Ulta store. Sure, Dermalogica products are spendy, but are they worth it? I'd rather have a proven, natural product like Burts, but then again I'm totally biased. We'll have to see. I would not object, however, if we went back to the Origins products we had years ago.

I recently flew BA from PEK-LHR in business class and I must say I wasn't impressed with the product in the amenity kits. I don't have any complaints, but if regular first and business class pax are looking for high price AND high quality amenity kit products, the products BA offered may be expensive, but I sure wouldn't pay for it. Again, give me Burts any day.

Now having said all that, I know the products themselves don't make or break a carrier, and it's not a big deal in the scheme of things. I'm just going to miss Burts Bees on board... one of the (sadly) few things I'm proud of that we offer. Hopefully these new amenities (bed topper, pajamas and amenity kits) give me something more to be proud of.

isitsafenow

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 20):
This thread is about first class.

Sorry Mr.Ttrump, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.
I do end up in F more times than I count on.
Thanks to DL and good ole NW....sorry to see you go.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.