working2gether
Topic Author

Concorde And Baggage

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Just a quick question,

Did the Concorde have a baggage hold in the plane or was it just a carry on your bags and store them inside the passenger cabin?

tcasalert

RE: Concorde And Baggage

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:16 pm

There was a hold on the aircraft, albeit not very big. Not sure about the baggage allowance for passengers but from an air freight perspective it could be used for (very expensive) urgent courier packages, for instance urgent documents needing to be in New York on the same day.

The internet and email kind of did away with that requirement but 15-20 years ago and longer it was a real bonus to get documents to the USA on the same day.
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

CARST

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Quoting TCASAlert (Reply 1):
The internet and email kind of did away with that requirement but 15-20 years ago and longer it was a real bonus to get documents to the USA on the same day.

But documents came to the USA on the same day too if flown on the 747s and other airplanes of the pre-internet-time. Just 3 hours later.

I think the argument might be valid for flights from USA to UK/France if the Concorce departed as an daylight-flight unlike most other TATL flights which depart from the USA in the afternoon and evening.

PanHAM

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Quoting CARST (Reply 2):
But documents came to the USA on the same day too if flown on the 747s and other airplanes of the pre-internet-time. Just 3 hours later

Yes, but it arrived before it left (in local time) and both the morning and the evening flight had courier material on board. Beats regular 747 or whatever serbvice anytime, even when they had an on board courier which could be the case with Concorde as well.

Quoting TCASAlert (Reply 1):

Fax was available then but sometimes and still today originals are required.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

bill142

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

It has a hold at the rear of the aircraft. Even with the hold you'd want to travel light as it wasnt very big.

booforty

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:22 pm

The baggage was stored at the very rear of Concorde with access to it via the last door at the rear on the co-pilots side. I believe the door is slightly smaller than a full passenger sized door.

vc10

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 pm

The aircraft had a luggage hold [227 cu ft] under the floor just aft of the nose gear.It also had a larger hold [470 cu ft] at floor level to the rear of the rear galley. Whilst not over endowed with luggage space it was suficient for 100 passenger plus crew as was often the case when the aircraft did "around the world charters", although it did take some planning as to how to get it all in.

On normal schedule flights a lot of the luggage was in the form of carry on wardrobe bags and these were hung in one of two compartments meant for them.

The front hold would be filled first as it 's weight moved the C of G forward and once it was full the rest of the luggage was loaded in the larger rear freight hold. The problem with the rear hold was that it's weight moved the C of G aft. This rear ward shift could limit the amount of fuel that went into tank 11, which was aft of the rear hold , because of the rear C of G limit.

It was all a bit off a balancing act[ no pun meant]  

littlevc10

luckyone

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Quoting booforty (Reply 5):
The baggage was stored at the very rear of Concorde with access to it via the last door at the rear on the co-pilots side. I believe the door is slightly smaller than a full passenger sized door.

It's more than slightly! At the Concorde exhibit in Barbados that is how the aircraft is configured to be entered. I had to stoop a little to get out of the main door at the front of the aircraft, but I had to bend considerably to get into the aircraft at the rear!

readytotaxi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Found this after a quick search.

cargo
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

working2gether
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks everyone for all the insight!

dc10bhx

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:10 am

In the late 80's and early 90's I worked for a Company which was involved in sending various machine parts from the UK to the USA (most of which needed to get there ASAP). There were numerous shipments made using Concorde. If memory serves me right we were limited to shipments of no more than 100 Kgs at a time and paid a quite horrendous freight rate.

One of the Shippers I had bookings from had designed their boxes with the express intention that 10 of them would have just enough components for a part day of manufacturing in the USA. Obviously with double daily Concorde flights more often than not, when they fell behind in manufacturing these components, I was making bookings on both morning and evening Concorde services.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

chieft

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:45 am

www.heritageconcorde.com has more information like this:

Aircraft are marginal costs with wings.

26point2

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:37 am

I never check bags and always travel with one medium duffel carry-on (wheels are for wimps) which easily fits in the overhead bin of a standard airliner, but the Concorde overhead bin was too small for my bag.

On my Concorde flight, BA 002, FA stored my bag in a mid-cabin closet.

chieft

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 12):
On my Concorde flight, BA 002, FA stored my bag in a mid-cabin closet.

Well, now I know why it was closed on that flight...

Aircraft are marginal costs with wings.

fbgdavidson

Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:35 am

The overhead bins on Concorde were very small. I'd say around the same size as those on EMB-145s, maybe a smidgen bigger!

Announcements were made in the Concorde Room/lounge around 10mins prior to boarding so you could almost "gate check" coats and larger carry-on bags. As others have alluded to they were stored in the cabin.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos