oksman
Topic Author

Is Shanghai Airlines Still In Star Alliance?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Is Shanghai Airlines still in Star? They are not listed anymore on Star´s website, but yesteday, while in LJG, not only I had to check-in for my CA flight through their counter, but also on TV screens above their counter, was that black strip with Star´s symbol and written Member of Star Alliance.

I thought their were owned by MU, which is Skyteam! Can someone explain this?

flythere

RE: Is Shanghai Airlines Still In Star Alliance?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Without doubt skyteam member now, just that they may not have clear all the star branding stickers yet.

Viscount724

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Quoting oksman (Thread starter):
Is Shanghai Airlines still in Star?

Their Star membership ended October 31, 2010.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/press/shanghai-removal-prp/

seansasLCY

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:28 am

I traveled on Shanghai Airlines last week from Guangzhou to Hangzhou and one of the few English announcements made onboard was that the airline is a member of the Skyteam alliance.

carnoc

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Quoting oksman (Thread starter):
Is Shanghai Airlines still in Star?

The simple answer is Nope, and I guess http://bit.ly/pOD7ds answers your question with much greater details considering that it clearly reports China Eastern Airlines and its subsidiary Shanghai Airlines officially joined SkyTeam on June 21, 2011.

Regards.

xiaotung

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 am

So why is Shanghai Airlines not on SkyTeam website? Shanghai was a full member of Star and I think it deserves better. At least full acknowledgement from SkyTeam.

carnoc

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 am

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 5):
So why is Shanghai Airlines not on SkyTeam website? Shanghai was a full member of Star and I think it deserves better. At least full acknowledgement from SkyTeam.

That's one of things I don't like as well, it's fine for SkyTeam to consider Shanghai Airlines as a member affiliate since "its officially a subsidiary of China Eastern", but the problem is that they should have listed member affiliates somewhere on the official website too. But who knows why SkyTeam doesn't do this...

TeamintheSky

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 am

Quoting carnoc (Reply 6):
That's one of things I don't like as well, it's fine for SkyTeam to consider Shanghai Airlines as a member affiliate since "its officially a subsidiary of China Eastern", but the problem is that they should have listed member affiliates somewhere on the official website too. But who knows why SkyTeam doesn't do this...

I am not a big fan of it either. I do wish Skyteam would post FM on their site as a member. I think it actually hurts Skyteam because FM is a well established carrier with loyal fliers. I wonder if they will treat MF the same way when it joins.
Since 2010: DL, KL, AF, WX, IG, FR , FL, U2, AK, BA, OK, UX, VS, VN, K6, AT, US, AY, BE, EI, LG, AZ, 9W, SG, AA, JL, W6

Bluewave 707

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm

the most recent Shanghai 73H delivery had no alliance markings ...
http://hnlrarebirds.blogspot.com/2011/08/shanghai-airlines-b-5610.html
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn