IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Will The Growth Of AUH And DOH Effect DXB?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Given the issues that the DXB economy has encountered, AUH has really started coming into it's own as a development hotspot and tourism destination. It is yet to really translate in a big way to any effect on DXBs lead over it's regional rivals, but do people think this will change?

Adding to that picture, will DOHs new airport, quest for more and more major events, including winning the WC 2022 rights, and increasing business links to the world, what will be the effect on overall growth?

Things have been heating up between the carriers for a few years, but with the evolving economic conditions looking like bringing about significant changes, it would be interesting to get peoples opinions.

bonusonus

RE: Will The Growth Of AUH And DOH Effect DXB?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:54 pm

EK at DXB does probably 90% of its traffic for connections, if not more. The amount of O&D in the city itself (be it Dubai or Abu Dhabi) isn't the #1 driving factor in the growth of an airport like DXB. I suspect AUH is the same story, although EH is more like a smaller-scale EK. EK has a huge lead in the mideast market. They are probably one of the only profitable entities in Dubai. With a fleet of 100 A380s in the pipeline, EK will be the biggest airline in the world in 15 years, if not 10. I don't think the growth of AUH will sap DXB's growth much.

SRQKEF

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Quoting bonusonus (Reply 1):
EH

i think you meant EY not EH  
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 pm

The dreams of all 3 big middle eastern carriers will be interesting to see unfold over the coming decade.

Even if connections are a the main driver, as they are now, the traffic mix over coming years will likely change, as the region really starts to find it's feet as a business hub. It already has a substantial business base, which Dubai has been the main beneficiary of, but the region continues to evolve and open up.

If the focus moves to other cities, so does the higher yield premium O&D, which is still a driver of demand for other carriers too into the market. This is where I can see AUH and DOH finding a way of making inroads, as new opportunities, brought about by their respective financial strength. Dubai will likely find them both much stronger competition in the future.

bonusonus

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 2):
i think you meant EY not EH

Right you are. I almost wrote ET too... I've been on this site long enough to know most of the acronyms and codes. Still, there's always more to learn. Just started an engineering job designing interiors, and I had to figure out things like:

PSU
LOS
FSS
OWEED
FDDSS
etc etc

kyrone

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 pm

I would think it can't help but effect DXB as passengers explore other connecting opportunities. Unless I am mistaken, all three carriers have good connections to India, so DXB may no longer be the best option for many passengers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos