tcasalert

Man Dies On JQ Flight After Choking On Meal

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Strange story here - guy chokes on the beef and dies on a JQ flight from SIN-AKL........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti.../Man-chokes-death-flight-meal.html

[Edited 2011-09-04 13:25:22]
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

deltamartin

RE: Man Dies On JQ Flight After Choking On Meal

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 pm

I read about this in a Swedish tabloid, apperently his girlfriend had to sit next to him for 9 hours.

Source in Swedish.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article13573568.ab

mariner

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Quoting deltamartin (Reply 1):
I read about this in a Swedish tabloid, apperently his girlfriend had to sit next to him for 9 hours.

She didn't have to - she chose to. From the linked article in the OP:

"Mr Rippingale's body was moved to the crew rest area, where it was covered with a blanket.

But Miss Preechakul did not want to leave him. She was given permission to sit next to her boyfriend's body for the remaining nine hours of the flight."

mariner
aeternum nauta

deltamartin

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 2):
She didn't have to - she chose to.

Suspected it was something like that, just the tabloid article that were twisted as usual.  
Should have read OP's article aswell.

kiwiandrew

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:49 am

Quoting TCASAlert (Thread starter):
Strange story here - guy chokes on the beef and dies on a JQ flight from SIN-AKL........

JQ ? That's Jetstar Australia. I thought that the SIN-AKL flights were operated by Jetstar Asia (3K)

RvXKaz

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 4):
I thought that the SIN-AKL flights were operated by Jetstar Asia (3K)

Yup they are operated by 3K for JQ under JQ flight numbers, manned by 3K crew but using JQ aircraft.
They say that I'm a dreamer. But I'd only Dreamt Skyward.

727LOVER

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 am

Why does the paper have a HUGE picture of the airline??????
Love Trumps Hate

AR385

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 am

I don´t understand why this happened. Apparently, nurses and doctors came to his aid and attempted to help him. They could have performed a tracheotomy, I´m sure the plane carries the equipment for such eventualities. I think there´s more to this story. Maybe he had an anaphylactic shock, which symptoms can mask a choking. But, similarly, the remedy for that ought to have been carried on the "other" first aid kit, as the scalpel for the tracheotomy, the one only the purser or the captain can authorize to be opened.

It´s sounds strange to me.

prosa

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 am

The man had a history of heart trouble, including a couple of recent valve operations. He might have died from that, rather than from choking.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

B6JFKSEA

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 am

Such a tragic story. I don't think people know how easy it is to choke on something. I almost choked to death on a meatball in a Subway restuarant a few weeks ago. Thank God a man came to my rescue and did the Heimlich manuvuer on me. It was VERY scary and I was beginning to pass out. After it was all over, the guy wouldn't give me his name or anything. He just walked out.

EK413

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:30 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 4):

JQ / 3K still seen as JetStar in my eyes... difference being wages and conditions...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

SmithAir747

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 am

Quoting B6JFKSEA (Reply 9):
Such a tragic story. I don't think people know how easy it is to choke on something. I almost choked to death on a meatball in a Subway restuarant a few weeks ago. Thank God a man came to my rescue and did the Heimlich manuvuer on me. It was VERY scary and I was beginning to pass out. After it was all over, the guy wouldn't give me his name or anything. He just walked out.

I too have choked very easily on food, too many times, in my short life (I ended up in 2 ERs on Mother's Day 1986, and also choked nearly to death twice in another year; the Heimlich manoeuvre saved me the last time). Due to my jaw deformities and small, obstructed airway anatomy, it is a very serious, life threatening risk for me. That's why I only eat a soft diet anywhere I am at. Tracheotomies are no fun--I've had too many of them (the most recent one being in 1991, at age 16).

The worst fear I have is suddenly choking to death on a piece of food (especially when alone at home). There is no terror like that experienced when the airway is completely blocked and you cannot breathe at all. Nothing matters at all except survival (getting breath)--it has an amazing way of clearing your mind!

Be VERY careful when eating!

By the way, I have read reports in medical journals that a major cardiac event can immediately accompany a choking event (or indeed be precipitated immediately by the choking event). I just remembered that off the top of my head. If I remember rightly, choking can precipitate an immediate (autonomic?) nervous response that arrests the heart right then and there. This is called a cafe coronary by medical professionals.

SmithAir747

[Edited 2011-09-04 21:48:42]

[Edited 2011-09-04 21:49:52]

[Edited 2011-09-04 21:53:17]
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Julian773

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 am

Yes the cabin crew are 3K but the flight crew are Australian (JQ).

Very sad indeed, may he RIP.

darenw

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 am

tcasalert

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 am

Quoting darenw (Reply 13):
Sounds more like his heart condition

Yup just seen this on here too:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...ition/story-e6frg6so-1226129756905

His family say he had a hole in his heart. I wonder if complications from this would give people the illusion of you choking though?

Regardless of how he died it is a terrible waste of a young life, especially to go on holiday and with your partner watching  
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

Stealthz

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 11):
the Heimlich manoeuvre saved me the last time
Quoting B6JFKSEA (Reply 9):
Thank God a man came to my rescue and did the Heimlich manuvuer on me.

Guys, glad that worked for you but the Heimlich manoeuvre has been, if not discredited, largely superseded by other treatments.

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 11):
(especially when alone at home).

The Australian Red Cross report this as a significant issue, if home alone I am not sure what to do( I live alone) but the ARC says if you have a choking incident stay where there are people!! Many people, apparently afraid of embarrassment head to the Rest rooms or some other isolated place... you may not be embarrassed by your situation but you may very well die quietly and alone!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Grid

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 6):
Why does the paper have a HUGE picture of the airline??????

Probably because it wanted photos to go with the story and it could not find many reasonably-priced, easily-available ones.
ATR72 E120 E140 E170 E190 Q200 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 MD11 MD82 MD83 MD88 MD90

Doona

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 15):
Guys, glad that worked for you but the Heimlich manoeuvre has been, if not discredited, largely superseded by other treatments.

Always wondered why I only hear about the Heimlich whilst in the US or from American media/culture.

Probably says more about me not bothering to find out whatever the hell I'm supposed to if someone starts choking... Manly slap on the back, anyone?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

AR385

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 17):
Probably says more about me not bothering to find out whatever the hell I'm supposed to if someone starts choking... Manly slap on the back, anyone?

The best thing is to learn how to do a tracheotomy, which is not that difficult if you learn how. A slap on the back risks lodging whatever is stuck more solidly.

Markhkg

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:07 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 17):

"To Heimlich or not to Heimlich" has been one of the strangest medical controversies in international medicine. CPR guidelines are revised every 5 years, the latest being 2010. There is an actually an international body that reviews all available evidence, provides guidance and then it's up to each national agency (e.g. American Heart Associtation, UK Resuscitation Council, Australian Resuscitation Council) to decide what's is in the guidelines for their country. Abdominal thrusts continue to be taught in the United States and in the United Kingdom. Australia has never really been a fan of abdominal thrusts and elects to teach chest thrusts and back slaps.

The latest review of the science suggests that all of these techniques (chest thrusts, back slaps and abdominal thrusts) can be used during a choking, but that doesn't stop researchers from taking shots from each other on what is best (Dr Heimlich himself rather famously started calling back blows "death blows" but the science really hasn't confirmed that these actually make things worse.) There is a lot of confusion amongst first aid/CPR trainers who may not be aware that just because their country teaches it one way does not mean it is necessarily the "absolute" way.

Ultimately, what matters most is that someone acts and does SOMETHING. Do what you have been trained to do...the jury is still out on the "best" treatment, but in the interim just get in there and do something!

Quoting AR385 (Reply 18):
The best thing is to learn how to do a tracheotomy, which is not that difficult if you learn how.

This procedure is easy on paper, but in reality it is far more perilous. It must be practiced frequently to ensure competency.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

AR385

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:37 am

Quoting Markhkg (Reply 19):
This procedure is easy on paper, but in reality it is far more perilous. It must be practiced frequently to ensure competency.

I agree, it ought to be THE LAST RESORT. But if nothing is working and you hae some PRACTICAL knowledge on how to do it, and the person is already cyanotic, what exactly do you have to loose?

Markhkg

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 20):
what exactly do you have to loose?

In the context of the aviation setting, it will be challenging. Most Emergency Medical Kits (EMKs) or Doctor's kits do not carry the required equipment for a tracheotomy due to security concerns (i.e. no scalpels), nor do they even carry advanced airway equipment such as endotrachael tubes. Even if you wanted to do a simpler needle tracheotomy, it will be a challenge because the kits do not necessarily carry the needles that are big enough to be effective.

British Airways has one of the most comprehensive medical kits I've come across, and they are somewhat renowned for a rather famous case where a chest tube was inserted into a patient using a foley catheter and a coat hanger in a patient from HKG to LHR. But BA's level of equipment far exceeds what most carriers have (or are required to have)...they are the exception rather than the rule.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

AR385

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:30 am

Quoting Markhkg (Reply 21):
In the context of the aviation setting, it will be challenging. Most Emergency Medical Kits (EMKs) or Doctor's kits do not carry the required equipment for a tracheotomy due to security concerns (i.e. no scalpels),

I did not know that. I assumed airlines carried the necessary equipment with which a doctor on board could perform a tracheotomy. If they don´t, there are other kitchen instruments a savy doctor could use. Granted, much much more difficult procedure and higyencally dubious. But what you are saying is that if the Heimlich maneuver does not work, perfeclty capablel medical personnel onboard will not be able to save that person´s life.

Too bad.