bdak
Topic Author

British Airways' New Advertising Campaign

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 pm

British Airways have begun to preview their new advertising campaign, said to be one of the largest and most expensive in the airline's history. Officially launching on September 21st, the campaign is designed to win over those who became disillusioned with the carrier after the strikes which have now officially ended.

Apparently, central to the campaign is a blockbuster commercial celebrating 'five decades of BA' and the airline's role in the history of aviation.

Topics include British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC), which merged with Imperial Airways in 1971 to create BA, as well as Concorde, and the airline today.

You can watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suybh-22NqE&feature=player_embedded

For an airline with such illustrious advertising heritage (albeit not in recent years) I am excited about this plan to inject love back into one of the world's great airline brands. How about you?

shamrock350

RE: British Airways' New Advertising Campaign

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 am

I've been looking forward to this campaign since I heard about it a few months ago. It's been a while since the last big advertising campaign, think it was the advert filmed in Sydney which was nice but by no means their finest but the new one sounds very promising.

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:20 am

Quoting bdak (Thread starter):
one of the largest and most expensive in the airline's history

I think I heard that the 1980s era "smile" advert was the most expensive commercial ever (at that point) so they certainly like to throw money at them! It's just a shame that they haven't done so for a while

For an airline with such illustrious advertising heritage (albeit not in recent years) I am excited about this plan to inject love back into one of the world's great airline brands

Here here. BA adverts were truly one-of-a-kind back in the day, I just hope that this one stands up to them
Worked Hard, Flew Right

deltaflyertoo

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:02 pm

This is exciting, BA, without a doubt has ALWAYS produced some of the best ads I have ever seen from any airline. All their ads over the years have this way of making you feel excited about aviation, them as a company and the concept of travel and connecting with people/culture throughout the world. All in 30 seconds or less. I wish the US airlines could conceptualize this.

flywrite

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Topics include British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC), which merged with Imperial Airways in 1971 to create BA,

Not to nit pick, but BA was formed out of BOAC and British European Airways (BEA) merging in 1974.

I got an e-mail today from BA's online social manager about the advert. The fact that he approached me on the basis that I'm an aviation enthusiast makes me think they might be making a conscious effort to get those who love aviation on their side - especially given the content of the video. It's certainly got my attention!

EGSUcrew

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

They know how to build a suspense with a trailer like that!

Some was filmed on the BOAC VC-10 and on the Classic Wings De Havilland Dragon Rapide at IWM Duxford (EGSU) - not sure what other aircraft are to be used.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product  

CapEd388

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 pm

So will this be one film (if so, how long?) or will it be a series of episodes or parts?
388 346 77W 787

radicaldudejom

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 am

Bring back the Lakme theme. Was there a more graceful bit of music in airline advertising? The beauty of the song always made me dream of flying BA. To this day I book with them when going to Europe.
Sometimes, your cards aren't worth a dime, if you don't lay them down.

flywrite

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Quoting EGSUcrew (Reply 5):
Some was filmed on the BOAC VC-10 and on the Classic Wings De Havilland Dragon Rapide at IWM Duxford (EGSU) - not sure what other aircraft are to be used.

They should have filmed some at the BA Collection at Cosford... Trident, VC-10, 707, 1-11... oh wait, they scrapped those classics  

alasdair1982

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 pm

the campaign is designed to win over those who became disillusioned with the carrier after the strikes which have now officially ended.

Not the infrequent leisure traveller who is put off by their "premium" image and an assumption of BA being overly expensive compared to Easyjet and Ryanair?

OA260

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:37 pm

For an airline with such illustrious advertising heritage (albeit not in recent years) I am excited about this plan to inject love back into one of the world's great airline brands. How about you?

I guess it depends on what they come up with but it will be hard to beat what are IMHO the best airline adverts ever made :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcBsSzjiUo

And :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izkgAdISB4Q

bdak
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:01 am

Quoting alasdair1982 (Reply 9):
Not the infrequent leisure traveller who is put off by their "premium" image and an assumption of BA being overly expensive compared to Easyjet and Ryanair?

No. I truly believe they're over that concern now and have the confidence to present themselves as a premium carrier. That is their niche, and I believe that they're going to use this campaign to elevate themselves above the constant noise of the LCC's and present BA as the pre-eminent force in aviation. It's a gravitas thing, and that suits BA much better than scrapping with Ryanair and easyJet at the bottom of the brand-chain. I think BA are happy that they can co-exist together, and target totally different audiences at the same time.

Eagleboy

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 am

Quoting bdak (Reply 11):
I truly believe they're over that concern now and have the confidence to present themselves as a premium carrier. That is their niche, and I believe that they're going to use this campaign to elevate themselves above the constant noise of the LCC's and present BA as the pre-eminent force in aviation. It's a gravitas thing, and that suits BA much better than scrapping with Ryanair and easyJet at the bottom of the brand-chain. I think BA are happy that they can co-exist together, and target totally different audiences at the same time.

I would hope they take this stance too. No full service legacy airline can compete with the low cost base of new start LCC or the behemoth that is FR. So they have to adopt a policy of differentiation. In the past few years EI tried to emulate FR, now they are positioning themselves as a separate option, a hybrid carrier.

And to counter OA260 on the best airline adverts, I have to throw in a bit of nationalism here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_i3i...playnext=1&list=PL4A2A409BF7533963

YVRFlyer

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 am

Quoting bdak (Reply 11):
It's a gravitas thing, and that suits BA much better than scrapping with Ryanair and easyJet at the bottom of the brand-chain.

One thing BA should also seriously consider doing is bringing back the classic Landor livery. The current one looks like something that would be great for a brand of toilet paper or feminine hygiene products. It just exudes tackiness. The Landor scheme on the other hand looked timeless, cool, classy. With the golden royal logo on it, it gives an image of premium quality.
YVRFlyer

speedmarque

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:50 am

Quoting YVRFlyer (Reply 13):

The "Heraldic Crest" and "To Fly To Serve" are making a comeback. Not on the livery, yet.......

YVRFlyer

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 am

Quoting speedmarque (Reply 14):
The "Heraldic Crest" and "To Fly To Serve" are making a comeback. Not on the livery, yet.......

Ah, I should've looked more closely at the Landor livery! I had thought that it had the coat-of-arms of the British Monarchy.

Any rumours on future livery changes?
YVRFlyer

speedmarque

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:03 am

Quoting YVRFlyer (Reply 15):

Well everyone is terribly tight-lipped at work however recently there was a deluge of "Branding" jobs available internally. Also a new uniform is on the cards for the introduction of the 787 and A380 in Q1 2013.

What better time for a new livery?

Eljonno

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 12):
And to counter OA260 on the best airline adverts, I have to throw in a bit of nationalism here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_i3i...33963

Sorry. Nothing beats this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbGuqmaDgLA

Eagleboy

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Quoting speedmarque (Reply 16):
Also a new uniform is on the cards for the introduction of the 787 and A380 in Q1 2013.

Is there any need for a new uniform, I think the current BA uniform is very smart and suits the brand.

widget1580

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:18 pm

BA has really great advertising. I can't wait for the new campaign.

http://youtu.be/lGL9S-DxbmY

http://youtu.be/QbKJTx1XeVw
KLM | Journeys of Inspiration

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 18):
Also a new uniform is on the cards for the introduction of the 787 and A380 in Q1 2013.

Is there any need for a new uniform, I think the current BA uniform is very smart and suits the brand.

I really like the BA uniform and think that it fits their brand perfectly. And the current one was only introduced in 2005, replacing one from the 80s
Worked Hard, Flew Right

shamrock350

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Always loved the crest and the "To Fly To Serve" slogan, surprised but very happy to hear it's making a comeback.

I spotted this at GLA a few months ago, been there a while!

British Airways. 'To fly, to Serve' by Shamrock350, on Flickr

Shamrock350

EGSUcrew

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 21):

Nice to see it back! And nice shot, I like it.

jetblast

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 pm

The "Heraldic Crest" and "To Fly To Serve" are making a comeback. Not on the livery, yet

I am looking forward to this...

Quoting speedmarque (Reply 16):

...but not so much to this. I quite like our current uniform. It is easy to wear and looks very smart. I would like to see some things done differently with the next uniform, but I am indeed satisfied with the current one.
Speedbird Concorde One

OA260

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 21):

Iconic hope its the sign of things to come finally. BA has been to the dogs and back .

SpeedbirdScott

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 am

I would love to see the crest and the "To Fly To Serve" slogan come back for BA. It's good to see some of our world's historic airlines bringing back classic symbols of their identities. Just like JAL bringing back the Crane... which should never have gone away in the first place.

LHRFlyer

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:36 am

I like the current design of the BA uniform. However the new "Mixed Fleet" cabin crew have slightly different uniform standards such as all female crew wear hats and the cardigan cannot be worn visible to passengers. It has highlighted what a difference sharper uniform standards can make and some staff are a bit lax. All female crew wearing hats, staff not walking through the terminal with jacket undone etc would help sharpen the image of staff and the airline.

jetblast

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:58 am

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 26):
However the new "Mixed Fleet" cabin crew have slightly different uniform standards such as all female crew wear hats and the cardigan cannot be worn visible to passengers.

I wouldn't think issuing hats to Worldwide crew would be too big of a deal...it was done with the last uniform, I'm not sure why it was not done with this one.

Shame about the knitwear too...I wear my pullover all day in the winter (although underneath my jacket). I know Worldwide crew and Eurofleet crew operating longer sectors can wear them in the passenger cabin to do ad-hoc service (e.g. not while performing meal service, duty free sales, etc) when the gilet is not being worn, is this the same for Mixed Fleet?

Even seeing some of the Mixed Fleet crews at LHR there are still some things that might want to be addressed...wings and name tag are crooked, cravat not being worn correctly, trousers or jacket are too large, etc...but the same can be applied to any crew. Regardless our uniform still turns heads at airports around the world and it makes me proud to see it.
Speedbird Concorde One

xtra1

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:42 am

Quoting eljonno (Reply 17):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_i3i...33963

Sorry. Nothing beats this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbGuqmaDgLA

Or this .......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSJop5sG2c

BA174

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:57 am

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 26):
I like the current design of the BA uniform. However the new "Mixed Fleet" cabin crew have slightly different uniform standards such as all female crew wear hats and the cardigan cannot be worn visible to passengers. It has highlighted what a difference sharper uniform standards can make and some staff are a bit lax. All female crew wearing hats, staff not walking through the terminal with jacket undone etc would help sharpen the image of staff and the airline.

I am sure I read that in the next uniform all fleets will have identical standards.

qf002

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Quoting xtra1 (Reply 28):
Or this .......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSJo...5sG2c

Can't help but burst out laughing every time I see this!!

Viscount724

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Quoting flywrite (Reply 4):
Topics include British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC), which merged with Imperial Airways in 1971 to create BA,

Not to nit pick, but BA was formed out of BOAC and British European Airways (BEA) merging in 1974.

Imperial Airways ceased to exist in 1939 when it merged with the original pre-WWII British Airways to form BOAC.

okay

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Wow, I didn't know BA has had the slogan "World's favourite airline so long (saw and advert from 1983 where they used it)

Does anyone know when it was introduced?

I throw my own favorite here, yes a little patriotism, but I think it's classy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nWZN3lB1Rw

Greetings,

okAY

scrappy27

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Quoting BA174 (Reply 29):
I am sure I read that in the next uniform all fleets will have identical standards

Where did you read that???

On another note.. can I ask everyone in the general public here.... Does it make any difference to you as to whther crew have their jackets buttoned up or not?? Does it influence you anyhow?? Perhaps I could ask the same for the females wearing hats.... does that influence you anyhow???

shamrock604

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
Quoting eljonno (Reply 17):

Agree on all three! Classic adverts.

coffeebar

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh, sorry THIS is the greatest airline ad... EL AL "WORLD"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Nhnf6bjqU&feature=related

tcxdegsy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting scrappy27 (Reply 33):
On another note.. can I ask everyone in the general public here.... Does it make any difference to you as to whther crew have their jackets buttoned up or not?? Does it influence you anyhow?? Perhaps I could ask the same for the females wearing hats.... does that influence you anyhow???

It's not so much that it makes a public perception difference if it's unbuttoned, more that it looks so much smarter when it is done up. It's design makes it look better when buttoned up. The hat is not as much of an issue I don't think.. it's almost as if the hat is for "ceremonial" wear only - you tend to only see it in publicity shots.

Anything that makes BA Crew stand out in the airport in a positive light in any international airport has to be a a good thing. Thind of the dated and "off the rack-style" USA Airline uniforms in comparison.. like when you see a Union Jack Tailfin.... seeing that or a suited & booted BA Crew Member in an foreign city airport makes you proud to be British, adn think of Home
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

LHRFlyer

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Yes it does. In isolation these details do seem trivial. But all of these details, just like the exterior cleanliness of aircraft etc. unconsciously influence the perception of the airline.

jetblast

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Quoting tcxdegsy (Reply 36):
It's not so much that it makes a public perception difference if it's unbuttoned, more that it looks so much smarter when it is done up. It's design makes it look better when buttoned up. The hat is not as much of an issue I don't think.. it's almost as if the hat is for "ceremonial" wear only - you tend to only see it in publicity shots.

Anything that makes BA Crew stand out in the airport in a positive light in any international airport has to be a a good thing. Thind of the dated and "off the rack-style" USA Airline uniforms in comparison.. like when you see a Union Jack Tailfin.... seeing that or a suited & booted BA Crew Member in an foreign city airport makes you proud to be British, adn think of Home

I can agree with this. I suppose I am a bit biased because I wear the uniform daily so I am used to seeing it, but I have had passengers in the past make positive compliments about it. BA has made the effort to design and supply a nice uniform for us that is easy to wear (in my opinion anyway) that is designed to look polished and proper - when worn correctly.

As for the hat I think it looks very smart, although I have heard from some of the ladies that have worn it that it is not comfortable or practical to wear. Not sure about that myself but if so it may be wise to start looking at another design.
Speedbird Concorde One

robso2

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:04 pm

It does in my view - I was very impressed in T5 recently at just how smart the BA crew looked - the uniforms are well suited and wearing the hats makes the uniform complete - Well dressed/groomed is part of the 'quintessentially Britishness' that BA adhere to
733/4/5/6/7/8/9, 319/20/21, 752, 744, 772/W, 332/3, 343/6, E70/90, AT43, AR85/1, D38, D10, M82

OA260

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Quoting coffeebar (Reply 35):
Oh, sorry THIS is the greatest airline ad... EL AL "WORLD"

Hmmm vibrant colours in a dessert / barren landscape.... reminds me of BA's Face Advert  

qf002

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Looking sloppy immediately communicates that the crew don't have the pride in their job or their airline that really makes for an excellent flight. The best crews are the ones who are proud of their appearance and displaying the airline that they work for in the best light, and little things like a jacket that's not beautifully presented (I don't care for hats personally), or even hair that's been quickly thrown into a ponytail just lowers the general standard of the crew and the appearance of the airline IMHO. EK crew always seem to look spectacularly good, and everybody always glances at them as they walk through the airport, and they represent their airline in a very good light -- other airlines not so much.

bdak
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:47 am

A new trailer has been released, talking about British Airways' place in British culture and what the campaign as a whole is designed to achieve. It's being called the 'aviators' campaign, and you can see in it aircraft from the BA fleet across the ages. I have a feeling it's going to be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSCBKu6GDxU&feature=player_embedded

lhr380

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:59 am

Quoting bdak (Reply 42):

Cant agree more. Going into work to watch the premier of the new advert (on my day off as well lol)
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

qf002

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 am

Quoting bdak (Reply 42):

The fully liveried A380 model sitting in the background of one of the interview scenes looks incredible!

Viscount724

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Quoting okAY (Reply 32):
Wow, I didn't know BA has had the slogan "World's favourite airline so long (saw and advert from 1983 where they used it)

Does anyone know when it was introduced?

AZA330

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 44):
The fully liveried A380 model sitting in the background of one of the interview scenes looks incredible!

It really does! I like the lots of white on the fuselage and where the BA logo is... I hope that is what it will look like.

Nice video. I think it is funny that for a few seconds starting on 0:33 a captain in the "Airbus Fleet" speaks from the cockpit of a 747   No one will ever really care, though, unless they are on a.net  

bojangles

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 41):
Looking sloppy immediately communicates that the crew don't have the pride in their job or their airline that really makes for an excellent flight.

You are aware that the jacket was designed to be worn either buttoned up or open? It's why vibrant red material was chosen for the jacket's lining.
On an aside, I don't think there is a major problem with uniform standards amongst the crew community. The worst offenders are found with terminal staff. A certain country, and in particular a certain terminal, spring to mind!! Some truly heinous transgressions of uniform standards  

qf002

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Quoting AZA330 (Reply 46):
It really does! I like the lots of white on the fuselage and where the BA logo is... I hope that is what it will look like.

Totally agree! Plus the fact that they're not going for massive billboard titles like everyone else has...

Quoting bojangles (Reply 47):
You are aware that the jacket was designed to be worn either buttoned up or open? It's why vibrant red material was chosen for the jacket's lining.

Wasn't aware of that, but I still don't think that it looks anywhere near as good unbuttoned as buttoned up properly.

Quoting bojangles (Reply 47):
The worst offenders are found with terminal staff.

100% with you there. They're just as important as the crew and yet seem to get away with so much more!

LHRFlyer

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 pm

The new ad has been shown to some staff and the press. It will premier on BA's Facebook page at 11am tomorrow (Wednesday) morning UK time and on Channel Four television in the UK on Wednesday evening during Grand Designs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ial-origins.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

There will also be a set of print ads to highlight the skills of BA staff.

The "To Fly. To Serve" crest is to also return to BA aircraft.

[Edited 2011-09-20 15:27:09]