Jackbr
Topic Author

Do Pmnw Crew Operate DL Flights To SYD?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:43 am

I was picking a friend up from SYD recently and saw the Delta crew walking through arrivals, and was wondering if any Pre-merger Northwest Flight Attendants operate Sydney flights, or is it just LAX based PMDL?

AussieItaliano

RE: Do Pmnw Crew Operate DL Flights To SYD?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:49 am

I would imagine that seniority plays a big role in scheduling FA crews on a route like this. If I remember correctly, DL and NW integrated their seniority levels, so I would imagine that PMNW crews would fly this route along with PMDL crews.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

deltairlines

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:19 am

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 1):
I would imagine that seniority plays a big role in scheduling FA crews on a route like this. If I remember correctly, DL and NW integrated their seniority levels, so I would imagine that PMNW crews would fly this route along with PMDL crews.

PMNW and PMDL pilots are fully integrated, but only PMDL pilots can fly the 777s for now due to the fence agreement that precluded PMDL pilots from flying the 747 (granted, some PMDL pilots are now flying the 747 due to openings on the 747 roster that no PMNW pilot wanted).

PMNW and PMDL flight attendants are still separated and cannot work together at this time. Given that the SYD route is a legacy PMDL route out of LAX, it's flown with the PMDL FAs (granted, this is not the case at every station, but seems to be for LAX). PMNW FAs continue to work the Narita flight, while I think the PMDL side has the Haneda flight.

Jackbr
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 am

Is LAX a senior base for FAs? How big a base it is compared to ATL?

Do PMNW operate any 777 flights?

aviationbuff08

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Quoting Jackbr (Reply 3):

NWA premerger did not have any 777 in their fleet.

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 2):
PMNW and PMDL flight attendants are still separated and cannot work together at this time.

I am interested in this a little. I have flown on the lovely DC-9 several times recently ATL-ORD/EWR and noticed that they have had both PMNW and PMDL flight attendants operating on the DC-9. Some have been ATL/LGA/CHI/DTW/MEM based F/A.

I even chatted with an attractive F/A on one of my ATL-ORD flights and she mentioned that she started the day on an MD-88 into ATL, then this R/T to ORD with the DC-9 then was going to operate a 757 to FLA as i cannot remember which city, to finish her day. With the next day she would stay on the 757 all day. This particular F/A was ATL based and was hired in the last few years. So this particular crew must have all been PMDL and is it possible this particular F/A was on a reserve schedule?

Can they use a PMDL F/A to fill in a gap with a PMNW crew that is operating from ATL to cover a sick or injured F/A in the middle of the trip?

deltairlines

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Quoting aviationbuff08 (Reply 4):
I am interested in this a little. I have flown on the lovely DC-9 several times recently ATL-ORD/EWR and noticed that they have had both PMNW and PMDL flight attendants operating on the DC-9. Some have been ATL/LGA/CHI/DTW/MEM based F/A.

Domestically a flight can be PMNW one day, PMDL the next. All depends on how crew scheduling builds the lines. Just because a flight is on one pattern one day doesn't mean it's the same pattern the next.

I even chatted with an attractive F/A on one of my ATL-ORD flights and she mentioned that she started the day on an MD-88 into ATL, then this R/T to ORD with the DC-9 then was going to operate a 757 to FLA as i cannot remember which city, to finish her day. With the next day she would stay on the 757 all day. This particular F/A was ATL based and was hired in the last few years. So this particular crew must have all been PMDL and is it possible this particular F/A was on a reserve schedule?

If she was ATL based, then she is PMDL. With PMDL FAs, she could have been on a schedule, or she could have been called out from one of her A Days, which is a reserve-type system.

Can they use a PMDL F/A to fill in a gap with a PMNW crew that is operating from ATL to cover a sick or injured F/A in the middle of the trip?

Nope. If a FA goes down and they cannot get a FA from the same workgroup to operate that flight, then the entire FA crew must be replaced. There are normally quite a few PMNW FAs with extended sits in ATL that can be reshuffled around to not cause any major issues though, but it does happen a decent bit.

panamair

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Yes, on all the DTW-Asia (PEK, HKG, ICN) 777 flights, for example, as DTW is still an exclusively PMNW FA base.

aviationbuff08

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 5):
Nope. If a FA goes down and they cannot get a FA from the same workgroup to operate that flight, then the entire FA crew must be replaced. There are normally quite a few PMNW FAs with extended sits in ATL that can be reshuffled around to not cause any major issues though, but it does happen a decent bit.

This must make for a crew scheduling headache on a daily basis. I can understand why DL is rather upset that the AFA and IAM issues is still not settled.

How does DL ramp handle the PMNW aircraft in ATL as i read somewhere that the IAM must ground handle PMNW aircraft and the PMNW aircraft park all over ATL?

HVNandrew

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Is LAX a senior base for FAs? How big a base it is compared to ATL?

I believe LAX is a very senior DL FA base, with a lot of people still there from the Western merger.

willzzz88

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:10 pm

The SYD route must be ONE of the most sought after routes in the PMNW FA system...

It's very long (14 hours) so that builds lots of hours in one bat. (Lots of hours simply working to AUSTRALIA!!!)

Also the destination is very desirable as it is Delta's only Western world destination in the trans-Pac. world (Oceania) with a culture VERY SIMILAR to that of North America.

Only English is needed (or maybe British/Australian English LOL!).

Anyways yeah... That route must be hard to get for PMNW F/A's.

willzzz88

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:10 pm

I guess seniority wins... When is it going to be integrated!?!?!?

panamair

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 9):
The SYD route must be ONE of the most sought after routes in the PMNW FA system...

The LAX-SYD route is assigned to the PMDL LAX-based FAs so the PMNW LAX FAs can't even bid for it.

PI4EVER

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:25 pm

On my SYD flight in May, the LAX F/A crews were very senior.....average 25+ years each and they work the roundtrip to SYD just 3 times a month and they're done. It is a long flight with designated rest periods and a full 24hour+ layover in SYD and are very popular. Only gripe.....a bumpy ride in the tail end crew rest area on just about every flight.
On our flight to SYD, we had over 5 hours of continuous turbulence and one F/A said they simply could not get comfortable in the tight rest area while the pilots enjoyed a smoother ride in their rest area above the forward Business class galley.
Food and service was excellent.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Viscount724

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 9):
Also the destination is very desirable as it is Delta's only Western world destination in the trans-Pac. world (Oceania) with a culture VERY SIMILAR to that of North America.

If I have to fly for 14 or 15 hours each way I would much rather be going somewhere that is NOT very similar to where I live.

nwa757boy

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Just to note, HND out of LAX rotates monthly between PMDL FAs and PMNW. Same with some of the LAX-Hawaii flying, PMDL get the OOG layover one month, PMNW the next etc.

willzzz88

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Well I'm waiting for the integration and equal 50/50.

PMNW FA's not allowed to bid on the SYD route maybe a bit unfair. ;-(

gigneil

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:43 pm

If they were non-union, it wouldn't be happening.

NS

flyboy80

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm continuously more annoyned by the fact that the FA's of what is now ONE Delta aren't able to fly together because of continuous interruptions regarding the integration process. Not placing particular blame on any group, but it has really inconvienced the FAs as a whole. The constant judging in the crew rooms is another issues "which side is he/she on?" is just ridiculous also- aren't we all flight attendants first, and foremost?

I feel like Delta has been relucctant to move around base numbers until this debaucle has been officially sorted out as to avoid any objective issues such as base re-bids etc.

Does anyone know anything new related to NMBs investigation and remedy?

Once the intergration is given the go- I also wonder how work rules will start to be modified (minor adjustments) to apease both sides (which delta will undoubtingly do IMO)

Regarding reserve for whoever asked: PMDL FAs share reserve...if you're seniority falls at a certain percentile you may be protected and not fly any "Adays" other groups in each base are assigned one block of 3 Adays, or one block of six, or two blocks of three.

MUCH better system than anyother legacy carrier which subjects FAs to years on end of reserve- and some of their reserve systems are aweful!

jetjack74

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 10):
When is it going to be integrated!?!?!?

Whenever the NMB decides whether or not they're going recall the previous election and force another, or stand by the 1st election result and decertify the union and merge the FA seniority list

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 15):

If the PMDL LAX base didn't have the SYD flight, they would have to furlough out of the LAX base. I think if we end up going non-union they will probably end up having to furlough as well, which would mostly be on the PMNW side since I think the the most junior FAs on the PMDL side are like 10 years I think. But the would be the senario unless we add more flying, which is always possible. But we just wouldn't have enough flying to go around with A days, because the straight reserve system requires more deadweight to be around where the A day system doesn't.
Made from jets!

xdlx

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 18):

There are issues like the "ripoff" of Social Security offset DL has, that the NMB will not resolve.
I will like to know the company position on this subject.
Are they going to FORCE the PMNW F/A into the offset?

gigneil

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 am

Social Security offsets are a standard practice of any company with a pension. There's nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

NS

toobz

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 18):
If the PMDL LAX base didn't have the SYD flight, they would have to furlough out of the LAX base. I think if we end up going non-union they will probably end up having to furlough as well, which would mostly be on the PMNW side since I think the the most junior FAs on the PMDL side are like 10 years I think. But the would be the senario unless we add more flying, which is always possible. But we just wouldn't have enough flying to go around with A days, because the straight reserve system requires more deadweight to be around where the A day system doesn't.

Actually DL hired FAs within the past year if I'm not mistaken.

deltairlines

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:52 am

Quoting toobz (Reply 21):

They did, but a move to A Days would likely lead to some overstaffing since less FAs are needed for A Days than a traditional reserve system.

Company wins by having to pay less employees to do the same job, FAs win through a higher quality of life (or so they argue).

goboeing

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 16):

If who were non-union, what wouldn't be happening?

LoveTheSkies

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:26 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 22):
They did, but a move to A Days would likely lead to some overstaffing since less FAs are needed for A Days than a traditional reserve system.

Company wins by having to pay less employees to do the same job, FAs win through a higher quality of life (or so they argue).

The number of F/A wouldn't change at all. You still need to cover each day of the month with the same number of reserve F/A (you'll still have sick calls to be covered as well as originations that come up on a daily basis.) The difference is that with adays those reserves come out of a larger pool of F/A.

For example, for September in ATL there are about 5740 PMDL F/A. They need to cover about 9400 adays which requires about 2380 F/A to hold either 3 or 6 adays. If we still had full month reserve as we did in the past (and the PMNW F/A still have), it would take 470 F/A to cover the same 9400 reserve days (20 reserve days with 10 days off)

edited for spelling

[Edited 2011-09-06 19:27:39]

[Edited 2011-09-06 19:28:10]

toobz

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 23):
Quoting gigneil (Reply 16):

I'm sure he was referring to PMNW not being able to bid on SYD

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 am

Unless she was a load factor, I don't get it.

The trips are built by crew-size type: DC9/M88/737/319/320 (3 FA), 738/757/M90 (4 FA). She couldn't be on a DC9 and then going to a 757 on a non-rerouted trip.

All crews are one crew or another. A PMDL/NW crew member can not do a mid-rotation cover for the other. The entire crew must be replaced (unless there is an avail crew member in city XXX) if there is a sick-out/injury.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:45 am

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 15):

There are routes that PMDL can't bid either...it's not about fairness, it's about sked efficiency.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 am

The lack of the SYD flight wouldn't trigger furloughs in LAX or anywhere else.

As for the lower number of FA's needed for traditional v/s ADays the ATL poster was spot on. It's the exact same numbers of "days" to cover. How they spread them out ("full time" rsv or "shared" rsv) is not relevant to # of bodies on the property.

jetjack74

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 am

Quoting toobz (Reply 21):

Based in LA? I'm talking about only the most junior at LAX. DL furloughs by base, not systemwide, unless all bases require downsizing

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 23):

The integration would've happened and the there would be a single seniority list. But the election is still in dispute, so the FAs remain separated

Quoting LoveTheSkies (Reply 24):
The number of F/A wouldn't change at all. You still need to cover each day of the month with the same number of reserve F/A (you'll still have sick calls to be covered as well as originations that come up on a daily basis.) The difference is that with adays those reserves come out of a larger pool of F/A.

Under DL's work rules,if someone gets sick, you can grab someone off of another trip that leaves later have them show up earlier to cover the short-handed trip rather than keep reserves sitting around. The PMNW contract prohibits that from happening. The NWA contract requires a certain percentage of reserve FAs to preserve the higher seniority FAs from being pulled off another trip
Made from jets!

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 29):
Based in LA? I'm talking about only the most junior at LAX. DL furloughs by base, not systemwide, unless all bases require downsizing

Huh? Ummm...no.

toobz

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:18 am

Oh..no not based in LAX for sure. I thought you meant hiring in general.

jetjack74

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 28):
The lack of the SYD flight wouldn't trigger furloughs in LAX or anywhere else.

Before the NMB decision, you're right(because DL mgmt would definately not want to do anything that could sway the 2nd election, should there be one). After the NMB decisions, there's definately going to have to be "some" head reductions at certain bases. That is, unless more flying is added to schedule of these certain bases. LAX is one of them. They may accomplish this through PLOCs or SLIP leaves, or more buyout packages, depending on which side of the merger fence your verbiage comes down. There simply is not enough flying hours out of a base like LAX to accomodate almost 1000 FAs where you have 600-something PMDL FAs and 350+ PMNW FAs. Staffing cuts will have to of some sort will have to be done, that is, unless more flying is added.
Made from jets!

LoveTheSkies

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 am

Under DL's work rules,if someone gets sick, you can grab someone off of another trip that leaves later have them show up earlier to cover the short-handed trip rather than keep reserves sitting around. The PMNW contract prohibits that from happening. The NWA contract requires a certain percentage of reserve FAs to preserve the higher seniority FAs from being pulled off another trip

Where do you see that in our work rules??? Trip coverage is very clearly outlined in section 6. In my 21+ years I've never been pulled of a trip.

Quoting B727FA (Reply 30):
Huh? Ummm...no.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:01 am

(granted, some PMDL pilots are now flying the 747 due to openings on the 747 roster that no PMNW pilot wanted).

No PMDL pilots are flying the 747, jut as no PMNW pilots are flying the 777. The most junior pilot flying the 747 is about 9300 seniority out of 12300, and for the 777 it is around 8500.

There are plenty more pilots from either respective side wanting to fly the 777 or 747 before it goes to someone that was fenced!
Chicks dig winglets.

jetjack74

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 am

Quoting LoveTheSkies (Reply 33):
Where do you see that in our work rules??? Trip coverage is very clearly outlined in section 6. In my 21+ years I've never been pulled of a trip.

Just because "it's never happened to me" in your 21 years doesn't mean it can't or will never happen. DL's policy manual is subject to change at any time. There's really nothing that can stop scheduling from doing whatever it wants, as long as it's within FAA minimums. I'm looking at the section you noted, and there are several examples where you could be pulled from your trip if you're on A days. They can use you for whatever they want, 1. whether it be for flight leader, 2. LOD, or 3. to round out crew staffing when a crew of FAs with less than 4 mos experience is assigned. That's what it translates to me. A day people are subject to anything.

Quoting B727FA (Reply 30):
Huh? Ummm...no.

Well, that's what we're being told. That if furloughs are required, in say SLC, you're put on furlough, and not in strict seniority order (so you cannot bump lower seniority people from a base of your choice). If there is an opening in NYC or ATL, you're welcome to go any base that has openings.
So if i'm incorrect, I apologise, but that's the word we're being given

[Edited 2011-09-06 21:25:31]
Made from jets!

LoveTheSkies

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:33 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 35):
I'm looking at the section you noted, and there are several examples where you could be pulled from your trip if you're on A days.

Yes, that's correct, reserves are on reserve, that's the idea!

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 am

Quoting aviationbuff08 (Reply 7):
How does DL ramp handle the PMNW aircraft in ATL as i read somewhere that the IAM must ground handle PMNW aircraft and the PMNW aircraft park all over ATL?

PMNW a/c park on every concourse in Atlanta (even C and D). Ground crew and work any a/c from a DC9/320 to a PMDL 757.
What gets measured gets done.

Transpac787

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:14 am

PMNW and PMDL pilots are fully integrated, but only PMDL pilots can fly the 777s for now due to the fence agreement that precluded PMDL pilots from flying the 747 (granted, some PMDL pilots are now flying the 747 due to openings on the 747 roster that no PMNW pilot wanted).

Where do you get any of your information?? It's so frequently wrong, and DEAD wrong.

For one, the 744 cannot be flown by any PMDL pilot until 01 January 2015. Secondly, the 744 is extremely senior bid. Every 744 FO could hold a captain seat in the company. DC9, M88, 320, 737, and a lot of them could even hold a 757 Capt seat. There are, in fact, *many* DC9 and 320 captains with seniority that could NOT hold a 744 FO seat.

This dynamic happened at NWA before the merger, and it still is happening now. Same as with DL on the 777. Most 777 FO's are in fact very senior, and all could hold captain slots on narrowbodies, where the converse is not true - not all MD88 Capt's could hold a 777 FO seat.

nwa757boy

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:11 am

1. whether it be for flight leader, 2. LOD, or 3. to round out crew staffing when a crew of FAs with less than 4 mos experience is assigned. That's what it translates to me. A day people are subject to anything.

Um, thats the same as PMNW RSVs.....nothing different. A-Days=Access Days=The company has access to you to do as they need.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:14 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 38):
For one, the 744 cannot be flown by any PMDL pilot until 01 January 2015

Actually, it can be. Same with the 777 for PMNW... if there were a lack of bidders from the allowable side, then the fenced side can get it.
Chicks dig winglets.

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Well, that's what we're being told. That if furloughs are required, in say SLC, you're put on furlough, and not in strict seniority order

I'm curious as to who the "we" of "...what we're being told" would be. Who are you?

DL doesn't just "furlough" for fun's sake. They don't upsize/downsize a base willy-nilly. I *think* you're confusing the term "displacement" for "furlough." If a base is reduced in headcount and people are DISPLACED, there are rules that govern that...including going back to the base.

Please use caution with loaded words like "furlough" when they don't appear to be what you mean.

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

to round out crew staffing when a crew of FAs with less than 4 mos experience is assigned.

I don't understand this. There have been numerous situations where

b727fa

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 42):
to round out crew staffing when a crew of FAs with less than 4 mos experience is assigned.

I don't understand this. There have been numerous situations where

That should read: "I don't understand this. There have been numerous situations wherein crews of entirely