n272wa

Emirates Announce Dublin

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:07 pm

EK finally announce DUB  http://www.emirates.com/ie/english/a...etail.aspx?article=711393&offset=0

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...New_Emirates_Service_To_Dubai.aspx

Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) welcomes today’s announcement from Emirates Airline that it will begin a new daily Dublin-Dubai service from January.

The new long-haul service, which will operate from Terminal 2, will expand Dublin Airport’s direct links to the Middle East and its onward connections into India, Africa, South East Asia, Australasia and China.

“We are delighted to welcome Emirates to Dublin and we look forward to a long and successful partnership with our newest customer,” said DAA Chief Executive Declan Collier.

Emirates, which already has a significant route network in Europe, had looked at Dublin previously, but the additional long-haul capacity provided by new boarding gates delivered as part of the Terminal 2 project played a key role in convincing them to invest in Dublin on this occasion.

“The improvements in Dublin Airport’s facilities in recent years, including the opening of Terminal 2, and our new long-haul gates in Pier E, was a major factor in winning this new service for Ireland,” Mr Collier added. “We have been in talks with Emirates for several years about a possible Dublin-Dubai service and our perseverance has paid off.”

Emirates will operate daily flights to Dubai from 9 January with an Airbus A330-200 operating in a three-class configuration, offering passengers a choice of First, Business and Economy class travel. It will also give its Emirates SkyCargo business a direct service to Dublin, as it will offer cargo capacity on every passenger flight.
Emirates, which is the world’s sixth largest airline, operates services to more than 114 destinations in 67 countries. Its Dubai hub in the United Arab Emirates has more than 1,000 flights per week to destinations in six continents.

“Emirates’ decision to enter the Irish market shows the continued demand for long-haul services into and out of Ireland,” Mr Collier said. “Connectivity is essential for business and for tourism and this new service to Dubai, and the onward connections that it will provide will be very beneficial for the Irish economy,” he added.

The new Emirates service to Dubai is the second new long-haul route to be launched from Terminal 2 since the facility opened last November. Earlier this year, US Airways added a seasonal daily service to Charlotte, North Carolina to its existing Dublin-Philadelphia service.

Emirates will join Aer Lingus, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta, Etihad, and US Airways in Terminal 2. Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport has flights from Aer Arann, Air Canada, BMI, Cityjet, Lufthansa, Ryanair, SAS and a number of other scheduled airlines, as well as charter flights for summer and winter sun holidays and ski destinations.

The new Dublin-Dubai service will have a daily departure from Dublin at 12.55 arriving in Dubai at 0025 the following day. The return flight leaves Dubai at 7.00am with a scheduled arrival in Dublin at 11.30.
Next: (EI)DUB-ORD-DUB, DUB-EWR-IAH-DFW-MSY-AUS-AMA-DEN-EWR-DUB

AirIndia

RE: Emirates Announce Dublin

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:15 pm

U2 here i come..................... great news..... long overdue...........

more new routes to come up this year as 20 new a/c join the fleet and free up the 332s..........

JAAlbert

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I am sure this has been discussed to death, but I'll ask again anyway . . .. I imagine international long haul travel from Dublin is relatively small in comparison to other markets. It seems the route only makes sense if it is connecting passengers to points distant in Asia/India. (Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT? Certainly no connections to the USA!) Doesn't adding widebody capacity to a relatively small market flood the route with excess capacity? How do other airlines compete with such a large influx of seats?

I am sure Emirates has done its homework -- perhaps Dublin has a bigger market than appearances might suggest?

LOT767SP-LPA

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Congratulations to Dublin Airport and EK.
Hope, next announced destination will be WAW.

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 2):
I am sure this has been discussed to death, but I'll ask again anyway . . .. I imagine international long haul travel from Dublin is relatively small in comparison to other markets. It seems the route only makes sense if it is connecting passengers to points distant in Asia/India. (Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT? Certainly no connections to the USA!) Doesn't adding widebody capacity to a relatively small market flood the route with excess capacity? How do other airlines compete with such a large influx of seats?

I am sure Emirates has done its homework -- perhaps Dublin has a bigger market than appearances might suggest?

Yes, it does.

EY fly here 11 times a week, great loads, as well as service from all the US legacies multiple times a day, in addition to EI's long haul routes.

DUB has a larger long haul network than CPH, ARN, VIE, OSL, WAW, BER.

tayser

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:35 pm

It seems the route only makes sense if it is connecting passengers to points distant in Asia/India.

I'm sure a lot of people with Irish ancestry in Australia (read: lots of people) would welcome another carrier that would allow them to avoid the UK en route to their final destination. Etihad currently offer good one-stop connections from Australia into DUB.

n272wa

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I imagine international long haul travel from Dublin is relatively small in comparison to other markets

in comparison to what markets exactly?

From summer 2012, scheduled long haul routes ex DUB are as follows:

Toronto (AC, TS)
Montreal (TS)
Chicago (AA, EI)
Orlando (EI)
Atlanta (DL)
New York JFK (EI, DL)
Newark (UA)
Boston (EI)
Philadelphia (US)
Charlotte (US)
Dubai (EK)
Abu Dhabi (EY)

In my estimation, this is quite a decent list of long haul destinations served from a country the size of Ireland.
There is a sizeable contingent of Irish in Australasia, which Etihad to date (and previously Gulf Air) has catered for extremely well, with EY now flying Dublin to Abu Dhabi 11 times per week.

Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT?

In what regard exactly??

Clydenairways

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:46 pm

. I imagine international long haul travel from Dublin is relatively small in comparison to other markets. It seems the route only makes sense if it is connecting passengers to points distant in Asia/India. (Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT? Certainly no connections to the USA!) Doesn't adding widebody capacity to a relatively small market flood the route with excess capacity? How do other airlines compete with such a large influx of seats?

For such a small population of the country, there is a fairly decent long haul market.

This flight will mainly target connecting traffic to Australia,China,India etc etc. But there is a reasonable point to point market.

Not only will this flight compete with Etihad directly. It will also try and pull some of the business that is currently going to the Far East Via LHR,FRA,AMS,CDG.

airbazar

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 4):
DUB has a larger long haul network than CPH, ARN, VIE, OSL, WAW, BER.

To be fair, nearly all of it is to 1 coutry only  
There are only 3 long haul countries served from DUB: US, Canada, UAE. It just so happens that the US has a long and rich history of Irish immigration hence the multiple cities served.
I wonder if either EK or EY would try to connect passengers to the US via DUB.

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 8):
There are only 3 long haul countries served from DUB: US, Canada, UAE. It just so happens that the US has a long and rich history of Irish immigration hence the multiple cities served.
I wonder if either EK or EY would try to connect passengers to the US via DUB.

Name me a US city of a similar size (1.5 million population) that offers even service to one intercontinental destination?

Clydenairways

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Only on Direct flights. Are you saying nobody travels from Ireland to Asia? This is a growing market..

behramjee

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:16 pm

The market sizes relevant to Emirates in Dublin are as follows:

(Market size is taken from July 2010 till June 2011)

BKK - 49,924
SYD - 42,524
AUH - 29,451
LOS - 29,293
JNB - 25,590
SIN - 25,397
CPT - 23,339

MNL - 22,275
COK - 20,811
PEK - 17,632
DEL - 15,899
DXB - 15,702 - this market will see massive stimulation with the new EK service
KUL - 15,131

NRT - 12,663
BOM - 8,769
ICN - 8,359
AKL - 8,243
NBO - 7,887
BLR - 6,927
BAH - 5,833

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:20 pm

It just so happens that the US has a long and rich history of Irish immigration hence the multiple cities served.

So what? The very same reason sustains most of the world's long haul air service!

kaitak

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:28 pm

First reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_kthecz_Io&feature=related

Second reaction:

About f*&&***g time!

Can't remember how many "EK new routes" threads I've contributed to over the past 12 years when I thought, "Dublin must be next", usually followed by "you b*******s; how could you pick (name of city) over Dublin?"

But here it is ... and the best bit is that the 330s aren't going to be around forever, so EK will be aggressive in building the market so that within a year or two, as the 332s are being phased out, Dublin will be upgraded to 777s (or 777s will be upgraded to Dublin, depending on your perspective!)

I'm actually quite surprised that Dublin is going to be served by a three class A330; I was sure it would be a two class acft.

Anyway, absolutely terrific news; made my day - and I needed it; Jersey Air Show today was a washout!  

gilesdavies

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I think the biggest looser, with this new service being announced will be Aer Lingus and BMI and the connecting carriers at Heathrow (probably British Airways and Star Alliance Carriers). A very large amount of the traffic on the DUB-LHR route is connecting, with the majority of point-to-point traffic between London and Dublin using Ryanair.

Also another looser will be the regional Irish airports like Cork and Shannon who have connections to LHR with EI, and I think a lot of this traffic will choose to drive to Dublin Airport and use the EK service.

Etihad and Turkish could also be loosers, but they will probably hold there own to an extent...

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Love this news. Great stuff.

My gut says this will be an A332 for a short time until EK free up a 77W because right now the EY A330s kick EK's backside in the product department and in order to push EY out a 77W will probably be needed.

Would runway length at DUB be an issue re a 77W at MTOW vs A332? I bet there is quite a lot of cargo on the route.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Quoting Chrisba777er (Reply 15):
My gut says this will be an A332 for a short time until EK free up a 77W because right now the EY A330s kick EK's backside in the product department and in order to push EY out a 77W will probably be needed.

Would runway length at DUB be an issue re a 77W at MTOW vs A332? I bet there is quite a lot of cargo on the route.

Short answer - yes, yes it would, but only at MTOW.

A 77W will comfortably make a destination within 8 hours flying time off 10/28. EY have used them into DUB on a couple of occasions.

I doubt EY will be pushed out either - both carriers seem to co-exist in many markets and in fact substantially grow them. some adjustment maybe, a pull out, doubtful.

kaitak

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I would have thought EY has most to lose; there will be a battle between them, but at the end of the day, EK has size on its side - a much bigger network and a better known name, with all the marketing "oomph" that goes with that. Although I would be sad to see EY go, if that happened, EK is the one we really need.

EI is never going to expand eastwards; its first foray out there, ironically to DXB (when it was led by an ex-EK executive, who clearly learned nothing from his time with EK) was a disaster. This makes it all the more important to have a "big hitter" like EK marketing us ("us" being Ireland Inc.).

I agree that EI will lose, to a certain extent, but I think that the era of dependance on LHR for long haul travel is probably gone, with TK/EY, but also other - more popular hubs, such as AMS, FRA and CPH.

Flying Belgian

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:21 pm

I don't understand how EK in BRU isn't even rumoured in those threads !!!

QR and EY are FULL here everyday with EY now with 8 weekly flights and QR looking for a daily.

Life is great at 41.000 feet...

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 18):
I don't understand how EK in BRU isn't even rumoured in those threads !!!

QR and EY are FULL here everyday with EY now with 8 weekly flights and QR looking for a daily.

It was the same situation here in DUB - 11 weekly very busy flights with EY.

I'm sure BRU's time will come VERY soon!

richcandy

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:37 pm

(Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT?

Well people do fly from GLA/NCL/BHX/MAN/LHR/LGW via DXB to CPT so I don't see why Dublin would be any different.

Alex

klwright69

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:47 pm

I think EY will be fine. They have developed a market and following on this route. I have flown AA/EY from AUH to the USA. EY carried a lot of pax connecting on AA to the USA through DUB.

And yes, between AUH and DUB, I met people connecting on the other end to South Africa.

SonomaFlyer

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:52 pm

If the price is competitive, folks will certainly fly to DXB over LHR when traveling to Africa and Asia. The facilities alone often make this a worthwhile detour.

ei2ksea

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Quoting SonomaFlyer (Reply 22):
If the price is competitive, folks will certainly fly to DXB over LHR when traveling to Africa and Asia. The facilities alone often make this a worthwhile detour.

To this point I used Gulf Air's former DUB-BAH-JNB service quite a few times before both BAH-DUB and BAH-JNB got axed around the same time when they reorganised a few years back. It came to price in the end for me, KL, BA, AF were in the running but GF were far cheaper, good service and generous baggage allowance with a relatively small flight time increase and no LHR hassle. The convenience factor for West Africa would be considerably less via DXB, BAH or AUH however Emirates have huge brand recognition in Ireland (even without a direct service up to now). I think routes like CPT and unusual new 1 stop routes like DUR will attract plenty Irish passengers as well as the other more obvious Australian/Asian destinations by brand allure alone.
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

grimey

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm

When I went to DXB in October 2007 with EI this was my flight times (I still have the flight booking email EI sent me)

AER LINGUS EI 102 W/ECONOMY CLASS CONFIRMED
DEP DUBLIN SAT 6OCT07 12.15PM
ARR DUBAI SAT 6OCT07 10.45PM
DXB -TERMINAL 1 - TERMINAL 1

AER LINGUS EI 101 W/ECONOMY CLASS CONFIRMED
DEP DUBAI FRI 12OCT07 0.15AM
DXB -TERMINAL 1 - TERMINAL 1
ARR DUBLIN FRI 12OCT07 5.30AM

All Times Local

Dubai doesn't exercise daylight saving time so EK times might change after next March. I think EI had a different timetable for the summertime when they would leave DUB at night and arrive in DXB the next morning.

Grimey

styles9002

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Excellent news for Irish aviation in general and Dublin in particular.

I only wonder if the 3 cabin aircraft is too much for DUB; surely J/Y would be sufficient?
It is what it is.

airbazar

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 9):
Name me a US city of a similar size (1.5 million population) that offers even service to one intercontinental destination?

Boston. Population 600,000. I could name more but you only asked for 1  

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 26):

Boston's metro area has significantly more than 600,000 people as you well know.

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 1):
U2 here i come..................... great news..... long overdue...........

ABOUT TIME!

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 1):
more new routes to come up this year as 20 new a/c join the fleet and free up the 332s..........

Is it that many?!?

DUB: US, Canada, UAE.

I find it interesting that the UAE is the first to offer DUB 'European hub' bypass. I've posted here for years that under-expansion of the European hubs has enabled the mid-east hubs. For example, if LHR had a 3rd runway, thus allowing far more Asia connections, DUB wouldn't be seeing so much mid-east service.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 26):

Greater Boston is ~4.5M vs. ~2M for 'Greater Dublin'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Boston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Dublin

For equivalent population, how about DXB?   

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

SASMD82

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT

I have had passengers from TLS, BOD and MRS flying to AMS and than to Marrakesh and Cassablanca. If the price favourable, why not?

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 4):
DUB has a larger long haul network than CPH, ARN, VIE, OSL, WAW, BER

Are you sure? I don't have exact data but as far as I'm concerned CPH has connections with JFK, ATL, EWR, ORD, IAD, SEA, NRT, BJS, PDV, HKG, DEL, BKK, LHR, SIN, CAI, DOH and DXB.

Anyway, congratz to Dublin!  

sandyb123

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Does it make sense to fly DUB-DXB-CPT?
Quoting richcandy (Reply 20):
Well people do fly from GLA/NCL/BHX/MAN/LHR/LGW via DXB to CPT so I don't see why Dublin would be any different.

Yup I'm one of them. Part of the reason I set up an office near CPT is because of the EK service from GLA and it's sometimes upto £2k more expensive to fly BA J (and I get F upgrades on the DBX-JNB / CPT 3-class routes thanks to skywards).

Quoting N272wa (Thread starter):
with an Airbus A330-200 operating in a three-class configuration, offering passengers a choice of First, Business and Economy class travel.

The A332 seems to be the oldest product in the EK fleet. Any plans to bring them up to date (even inline with the A345)? Interesting it's a 3-class, were only scheduled as a 2 class in GLA.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

babybus

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 11):
The market sizes relevant to Emirates in Dublin are as follows:

(Market size is taken from July 2010 till June 2011)

What do those figures mean? Are these passenger numbers the sum total of passengers travelling to those destinations out of Dublin in that year with all carriers? I can't imagine 50,000 passengers going DUB to BKK. It will be interesting to know what you think.

Also, is there any logic to the split of airlines between T1 and T2 in Dublin? They all seem pretty mixed up.

Great to see EK finally adding DUB to its network. I wonder when it will go double daily with the A380?  
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

shamrock321

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 pm

About time indeed! I think its correct in saying that EY will be fine! Especially with there business class offering, they even have their own lounge at DUB. I said it to myself earlier that the biggest loosers here will be EI/BA, LH and AF the carriers who offer exsisting connections to Asia/Afirca etc. In regard to if DUB-DXB-CPT makes sense then YES! EY carrier a huge amount of guest from both JNB and CPT to DUB!

n272wa

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 31):
Also, is there any logic to the split of airlines between T1 and T2 in Dublin? They all seem pretty mixed up.

T2 is Aer Lingus, all US carriers, and EY and EK.
Everything else is T1.

LH121GLA

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 13):
I'm actually quite surprised that Dublin is going to be served by a three class A330; I was sure it would be a two class acft.

I checked availability on the GDS today and F/J classes were zeroed out every day - only the Y cabin was open for sale. They're probably still in the middle of publishing their tariffs I'd imagine.

OA260

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting LH121GLA (Reply 34):

Now all classes are open for sale .

SRQKEF

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 29):
JFK, ATL, EWR, ORD, IAD, SEA, NRT, BJS, PDV, HKG, DEL, BKK, LHR, SIN, CAI, DOH and DXB.

Don't forget PEK! (My dad flew SK 996 PEK-CPH last May) Also, SEA has been suspended Now if only EK would start service to KEF. You can still dream...  fluffy 

[Edited 2011-09-08 13:48:12]
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Conti764

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 19):
I'm sure BRU's time will come VERY soon!

I hope it won't... There is nothing 'cool' or impressive by getting EK at your airport. Nothing against the company, but every village with an airstrip could be next in EK's plans...

By the way, with TG starting direct BRU-BKK flights I bet both EY and QR will feel the competition. EK at BRU would kill any ambition to ever get some nice Asian carriers besides the ones flying here already... I'd love to see NH, SQ or OZ at BRU, but if EK would step into the market, chances are pretty slim any of them would come...

kaitak

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting Conti764 (Reply 37):
There is nothing 'cool' or impressive by getting EK at your airport

With respect, I disagree; this is very big for us (and indeed any new city getting EK service); it means that:
(a) we are plugged into the network of one of the world's largest international (pax and freight) airlines
(b) a huge number of new potential markets are accessible to/from Ireland via DXB
(c) EK, with its own metal on the ground has the incentive to sell Ireland aggressively in these new markets
(d) With the A332s not likely to be around 3-4 years from now (possibly sooner), EK has an incentive to push A330 markets like Ireland particularly strongly, so as to make them 773/77W routes
(e) EK's growth and fleet plans mean that it doesn't want routes to stay at just once daily; it'll want to push DUB to twice daily as soon as it can take it
(f) Unlike Germany, where EK is stopped from growing - and other markets where it's growth is being hampered by bilaterals and protectionism, we don't (and won't pose any limits); EI won't be flying east, so we not only encourage, WE NEED, EK to increase services to Ireland aggresssively.

Now, we have our foot in the EK door - a lot later than I would have hoped, but it's there and that's a very important first step. Five years from now, I want to see EK flying twice daily with 359s and/or 77Ws, possibly with a few 77Fs per week on cargo services.

EI564

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 31):
What do those figures mean? Are these passenger numbers the sum total of passengers travelling to those destinations out of Dublin in that year with all carriers? I can't imagine 50,000 passengers going DUB to BKK. It will be interesting to know what you think.

I presume its two way flow between DUB and BKK. That I would believe. BKK is quite popular, especially amongst twentysomethings that are doing their year break from normal life. Not high yield traffic but it definitely exists.

shamrock604

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting EI564 (Reply 39):

For sure. I'd go so far as to say "Zero high yield" traffic between Ireland and BKK.

MillwallSean

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 am

Those that expect Emirates to massively market DUB havent really seen how EK markets its European destinations. DUB will be another one of the markets served by EK but you wont see massive marketing or anything like it. They have quite a few destinations in Europe as it is.

Whats good is that many Irish migrants in Australia, SA and NZ gets another option to fly back.
A cheaper hop to some of the SE Asian destination for people close to DUB as well.

Since EK does well out of similar markets such as Scotland i see no reason they wont do well here. The VFR traffic is strong to Ireland and despite it not being much business eastwards Irish are used to travelling and I don't think I have met any irish that doesn't have at least one familymember that's moved overseas.

I guess DUB will be a low yield route but see good loads.

When we look at DUB airport they see heaps of US destinations but zero to the Far east and Africa.
I say CPH, VIE and ARN is still a league above DUB basically because they see traffic to three continents and a varied pool of carriers but that's another discussion.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

Jambost

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am

I am thrilled to hear this announcement! Means I can travel SYD-DXB-DUB avoiding the UK! Your reading the comment of a very happy back packer!
1APR14 Ireland Direct, 3 A380-9LR,Equiped Irish Bar & Casino. All Y+ seating. Serving DUB-PER-SYD/MEL

arn777

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:50 am

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 29):
Are you sure? I don't have exact data but as far as I'm concerned CPH has connections with JFK, ATL, EWR, ORD, IAD, SEA, NRT, BJS, PDV, HKG, DEL, BKK, LHR, SIN, CAI, DOH and DXB.

JFK - gone
ATL - gone
SEA - gone
HKG - no
DEL - gone

But they do YYZ with AC and PVG comming next year with SAS.

PITrules

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 am

FLYi

aerdingus

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am

Does anybody know who will do their ground handling?

2016: BHX GLA KIR LCY LGW MUC VIE BA EI FR LH OS A320 A321 ATR 42 ATR 72 B738 E190 E195

RWA380

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 9):

The PDX metro area is just under 2M and has nonstops to Tokyo and Amsterdam, and also had nonstop to Frankfurt until recently. Not quite your 1.5M but not too far off. Just my 2 centavos.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

behramjee

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 am

Quoting EI564 (Reply 39):

I presume its two way flow between DUB and BKK. That I would believe. BKK is quite popular, especially amongst twentysomethings that are doing their year break from normal life. Not high yield traffic but it definitely exists.

yes all the figures I provided were for 2 way traffic.

EK will be fine in DUB and should average 68% average loads in its first 6 months quite easily due to its great network coverage beyond DXB.

arn777

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:36 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 44):
Delta

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL118

Ahh...sorry. Gone next week.

RWA380

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

A carrier like EK can afford to take the time to develop a route even if it starts with low yields, I suspect this new route will work well for EK. Heck they could get EI for a song and get a well placed mini-hub in Europe for a scissor hub to secondary N America cities, maybe Mexico and some S America. Far Fetched? Smile. Don't dump those A-330's too fast. Wouldn't this be win win for all around. Guess EK would have a few useful planes to reconfigure and a lot of room in Dublin to get it done right. Guess the only issue would be getting 5th freedom rights.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA