LAXintl
Topic Author

SNA New Commuter Terminal Opens (with Pics)

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:24 pm

On Thursday John Wayne Airport (SNA) celebrated the opening of a new permanent commuter facility.

Known as the North Commuter Terminal, or more aptly a large hold room area featuring three gates with direct ramp access is part of the airports larger $543 million modernization program.

The commuter facility connected to Terminal-A will initially have two tenants - United Express and Delta Connection. The first flight out of the North Commuter Terminal was a Delta flight to Salt Lake City (ironically operated on an A319, however come 2012 Delta plans to utilize RJs)

News Story:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/terminal-316324-new-commuter.html

Some images

Photos Courtesy of the Airport.

[Edited 2011-09-10 10:18:23]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

san747

RE: SNA New Commuter Terminal Opens (with Pics)

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Wow, very nice! Things are a lot different compared to when I worked there from '07-08.
Scotty doesn't know...

chrisair

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 1):
Things are a lot different compared to when I worked there from '07-08

Hell, things are a lot different than they were back in 1987 when I started flying out of SNA! Still a great airport.

gmcc

Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Now if QX can get slots those gate that could really be fun. SAN-SNA-STS or SJC -SEA anyone? Please. Good to see the new stuff starting to open. I think they are planning to have a tour of the new terminal c on November 13, the day before it open.

usflyer msp

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 pm

I really don't see the point of this building. The era of RJ's is coming to a close, especially in slot- restricted airports like SNA. I think SNA would have been better served by building three additional mainline gates (that could be used by RJ's if needed).

airbazar

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 4):
I really don't see the point of this building. The era of RJ's is coming to a close, especially in slot- restricted airports like SNA. I think SNA would have been better served by building three additional mainline gates (that could be used by RJ's if needed).

So why can;t mainline jets use these gates? As stated by the OP, the first flight out of these gates was an A319. Is that not mainline?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Quoting gmcc (Reply 3):
Now if QX can get slots those gate that could really be fun. SAN-SNA-STS or SJC -SEA anyone?

The 2012 slot award is around the corner, and Horizon which was on the waiting list passed again this year.

There should be a new entrant - a regional carrier flying in behalf of Delta if the documents get signed.

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 4):
I really don't see the point of this building. The era of RJ's is coming to a close, especially in slot- restricted airports like SNA. I think SNA would have been better served by building three additional mainline gates

Well they are getting 6 air-carrier gates also when the new Terminal C opens in November.

The commuter gates are actually quite worthwhile, as they will also provide the critical parking space for overnight aircraft. Besides slots, SNA has a parking restriction with overnight demand exceeding parking spots available.

Lastly keep in mind, potential commuter activity is not the same as larger jet service for slots, so one could operate a dozen commuter flights potentially without impacting mainline slots much if at all.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FedExFlyerPHL

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:34 am

I missed it!!! I flew in on Thursday and had no idea. If I would have know, I would have headed down the other end to check it out.

Jeff
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

7673mech

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:09 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 5):
So why can;t mainline jets use these gates? As stated by the OP, the first flight out of these gates was an A319. Is that not mainline?

They can, there are not Jetway's attached. The passengers walk through a door and up loading stairs.

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:38 am

Quoting gmcc (Reply 3):
Now if QX can get slots those gate that could really be fun. SAN-SNA-STS or SJC -SEA anyone? Please. Good to see the new stuff starting to open. I think they are planning to have a tour of the new terminal c on November 13, the day before it open.

Any QX service to SNA would be cool! Maybe even some QX service on the SJC-SNA run.

usflyer msp

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:22 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 5):

I suppose they can but that causes certain inefficiencies. Ground loading requires extra staff to marshall passengers and special equipment in order for disabled pax to enplane/deplane. Passengers hate it during inclement weather. (admittedly, not a huge problem in SoCal) They should have built three jetway gates with RJ compatible jetways. That would have been a more efficient of their funds IMHO.

gmcc

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:26 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 9):
Any QX service to SNA would be cool!

It would be especially fun to watch the Newport/Costa Mesa NIMBY's heads go pop at the thought of a "old" prop plane disturbing them.

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:40 am

Quoting gmcc (Reply 11):
It would be especially fun to watch the Newport/Costa Mesa NIMBY's heads go pop at the thought of a "old" prop plane disturbing them.

The Q400 is no ordinary prop. But I think it's well-suited for intrastate service.

ghifty

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 am

Quoting gmcc (Reply 11):

"The planes flying above us must be worth more than $27m."

I kid... after all it's such people that are to "blame" for the exhilarating take-offs from SNA, gotta love those charged t/o's.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

andyinpit

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 13):
I kid... after all it's such people that are to "blame" for the exhilarating take-offs from SNA, gotta love those charged t/o's.

I'll be taking a flight from there next month from the jumpseat. I'm quite excited...

as739x

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Quoting gmcc (Reply 11):

QX should sell it to them that this will provide non-stop service to STS, so they can go wine tasting  

Not that I think STS will be served!
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

FedExFlyerPHL

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 13):

Those takeoffs must not neccessarily be mandatory anymore because my flight from SNA-MSP was pretty normal. No steep climb and no power cut back. I was kind of looking forward to the famous SNA takeoff.

Jeff
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

wnflyguy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Terminal c will be 5 gates for WN and 1 gate for F9...
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

deltairlines

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 am

Quoting FedExFlyerPHL (Reply 16):
Those takeoffs must not neccessarily be mandatory anymore because my flight from SNA-MSP was pretty normal. No steep climb and no power cut back. I was kind of looking forward to the famous SNA takeoff.

I had the steep takeoff then the cutback on throttle on my US Airways 737 flight from SNA to PHX this evening...

gmcc

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 17):
Terminal c will be 5 gates for WN and 1 gate for F9

Technically all gate in the new terminal with be CUTE, however, I am sure that WN will use 5 gates and F9 will use one

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos