DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Got To Talk To A CO 737 Captain All Weekend!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:19 pm

This was one of the best weekend's ever. My neighbor got engaged so her father who is currently a CO 737 Captain was in town. My neighbor knows about my love of planes and aviation so she introduced me to him and we just talked and talked. I got to ask so many questions....and I actually got the right answer  

One of the cool stories he told me was in regards to taking off from SNA. The normal flow was to runway 19, but because of the load to EWR, he had to request Runway 1. He mentioned that the plane was at its absolute max for that runway.

So he starts the takeoff roll and realizes he is only at about 100 knots midway down the runway. He noticed the end was coming up very quickly and there was no stopping at that point so he gunned it to TOGA thrust (over 100%) and the main gear cleared juuuust shy of the runway end lights. It was a pretty neat story to hear from the ole captain.
Christopher W Slovacek

tommy767

RE: Got To Talk To A CO 737 Captain All Weekend!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Did he mention anything about a 737 base opening up at LAX sometime soon?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

P.S. Since we are now friends and facebook friends, I can ask him questions anytime I need to, which I'm pretty happy about.
Christopher W Slovacek

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Tommy767,

Actually he DID. He didn't give a specific time frame for it, but did say it should be happening relatively soon. That conversation was brought up because we were talking about the Cleveland Crews currently flying the Hawaii Rotations from the LA area. He mentioned that should change over to the LA base once it's up and running.
Christopher W Slovacek

tommy767

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 3):

Cool! Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a great time. Also: any insight as to other UA hubs getting a 737 base sometime soon?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

FlyHossD

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 1):
Did he mention anything about a 737 base opening up at LAX sometime soon?

A small pilot base for CO opened in May 2011. It has been growing slowly and there are about 60 crews there now.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for the update. The pilot I spoke with tries to stay out of the big cities (LAX, ORD, EWR, etc) as much as possible. He told me he loves going south of the border  
Christopher W Slovacek

acidradio
Crew

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:49 pm

It is good to have a pilot to talk to both to learn about their perspective of the industry and to learn about what is happening in the rest of the company. Somehow these guys seem to have a lot of dirt on what is going on. When I worked for CO we had a 757/767 FO who commuted to work and regularly flew through MSP. When he stopped into ops somehow 13 or 14 other guys would show up and listen to everything he had to say. It was as if an executive showed up but even better. We learned a lot and got a good feeling of what was going on in other cities and throughout the rest of the company. Sadly if our own manager called a meeting it didn't get that kind of turnout  
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

777ord

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Great story. Glad to see you got some insight into the industry, and, thank you for sharing it!

Keep us posted!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 pm

I remember getting this excited talking to airline pilots. When I was in highschool at the peak of my enthusiasm for aviation, our neighbor's dad and sister flew for United and his sister's husband flew for Alaska. I remember picking their brains for hours, probably to the point of annoyance.

Then I got a job at an airline where I see and talk to pilots all day every day. I've become desensitized to it.  
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Goldenshield

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Thread starter):
So he starts the takeoff roll and realizes he is only at about 100 knots midway down the runway. He noticed the end was coming up very quickly and there was no stopping at that point so he gunned it to TOGA thrust (over 100%) and the main gear cleared juuuust shy of the runway end lights. It was a pretty neat story to hear from the ole captain.

Not that I dislike hangar-flying stories, but it sounds to me like someone completely ignored his takeoff performance data...
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

AirCalSNA

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm

This was one of the best weekend's ever. My neighbor got engaged so her father who is currently a CO 737 Captain was in town. My neighbor knows about my love of planes and aviation so she introduced me to him and we just talked and talked. I got to ask so many questions....and I actually got the right answer  

One of the cool stories he told me was in regards to taking off from SNA. The normal flow was to runway 19, but because of the load to EWR, he had to request Runway 1. He mentioned that the plane was at its absolute max for that runway.

Interesting story. So I guess he asked for 1L in order to avoid the climb-out power restrictions due to the Newport Beach NIMBYs?

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm

OP think twice before posting stuff here without his permission, specially in a public forum. I have planty of hangar stories I've shared with people yet I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing on a forum.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 10):

Not that I dislike hangar-flying stories, but it sounds to me like someone completely ignored his takeoff performance data...

Too bad I don't work with CO anymore but I'm sure the captain must have gotten a call from the FOQA department where I once worked, if it really was as bad as OP made it sound (which I doubt).

flight152

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:29 pm

This was one of the best weekend's ever.

Wow! A real life pilot, no way!

It was a pretty neat story to hear from the ole captain.

Either this story was made up or some real big mistakes were made with performance and/or weight.

Max Q

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 10):

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 13):

Either this story was made up or some real big mistakes were made with performance and/or weight.

Have to agree, if he was trying to impress that's a strange way to do it and if he screwed up / didn't check his performance
i'm surprised he would talk about it. White knuckle experiences are what we strive to avoid !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 13):

I think "embellish" is the word we are looking for here.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

andyinpit

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Way to crap on the poor guy's dreams. What pilot/person has never embellished a story once or twice? ESPECIALLY people in the aviation industry. Come on and stop nitpicking every little thing that's said.

Man o' man! You should have seen that fish I caught! It had to have been 6 inches! I mean 8, 12. Yeah that's it! It was dern near a foot long!

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:46 pm

If he needed 1 for performance, he was probably a full power anyways... Firewall power is only a % or 2 more.

Oh well...
Chicks dig winglets.

seabosdca

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Sounds to me like a well-told fish story to impress an impressionable audience.

100 knots would be well below V1 for a 73G or 738 in just about any scenario...

aircanada014

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Thats pretty awesome, I used to ask my Dad so many questions too because he was a pilot for Air Canada as a first officer B767-300ER then he retired as a Captain for B767-300ER a/c. Its so awesome to talk to pilots when you have the chance.

Max Q

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Not cr*pping on any ones dreams, it's important that DFWH knows that if his story was true this Pilot made a major miscalculation and endangered everyone on board.

This is not the way we operate at CAL, cutting things that close is fine in the movies but not in real life.

Goldenshield

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 18):
100 knots would be well below V1 for a 73G or 738 in just about any scenario...

And most turboprops, too.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

N62NA

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:51 am

Quoting andyinpit (Reply 16):
Way to crap on the poor guy's dreams. What pilot/person has never embellished a story once or twice? ESPECIALLY people in the aviation industry. Come on and stop nitpicking every little thing that's said.

Man o' man! You should have seen that fish I caught! It had to have been 6 inches! I mean 8, 12. Yeah that's it! It was dern near a foot long!

Well stated!

chrisair

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:27 am

What pilot/person has never embellished a story once or twice?

Pilots never embellish anything...  

Goldenshield

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:32 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 22):

Well stated!

It's one thing to embellish what you did flying alone in a Cessna (and boy, I've heard some doozies, not that they weren't entertaining to listen to.) It's quite another to embellish that you ran out of runway with 150 people behind you, all the while it's your job to make sure such a thing couldn't happen in the first place.

"Yep, I ALMOST made it off that runway!"

IAHFLYR

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:39 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 20):
This is not the way we operate at CAL, cutting things that close is fine in the movies but not in real life.

I will totally agree with MaxQ on this. My best friend for over 27 years is a Captain and Check Airmen for the same operator. Over the years he has changed airplanes a few times and is typed in all the aircraft that CO operates, and has never given me anything but professional events, not embellished experiences from his trips! However, some of the IOE stories are the best, but still nothing close to that SNA recollection.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 12):
I'm sure the captain must have gotten a call from the FOQA department where I once worked,

And I hope he enjoyed it!  
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

fxramper

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 25):
Quoting aircanada014 (Reply 19):

I play golf with my uncle as often as I get back to Texas and the last thing he wants to discuss on the tee box is his airline or commercial aviation. He's been with AA for 34 years.   

jetblast

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 26):
I play golf with my uncle as often as I get back to Texas and the last thing he wants to discuss on the tee box is his airline or commercial aviation. He's been with AA for 34 years.

Agreed with this. I may not fly the airplane but I work around them - and generally work is one of the last things I would want to talk about in my free time. I spend enough time at the field, let me have my peace when I'm not there 
Speedbird Concorde One

fxramper

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 am

Quoting jetblast (Reply 27):
Agreed with this. I may not fly the airplane but I work around them - and generally work is one of the last things I would want to talk about in my free time. I spend enough time at the field, let me have my peace when I'm not there

I know at least 100 active commercial pilots, well enough to get a Christmas card from, and they are usually the last people I get information from about the industry. I'm glad Heavy has a new FB friend.  

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:22 am

lol You do know what website this is, right? He's asking for it with a story like that!  

SuseJ772

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:39 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 26):
Quoting jetblast (Reply 27):

I generally find this is true about all industries. It is also why when ever I meet a celebrity, professional athlete, etc... the LAST thing I ever talk to them about is what you assume everyone else always talks to them about. I do the same with pilots. Truth be told, when I see pilots in the terminal, I always want to ask them all about their job, but usually out of respect for them and just giving them some time to relax, I don't do it.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

wjcandee

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:54 am

On the other hand, not everybody in the industry is a jaded old fart who doesn't want to talk about work.

Sounds like this proud father of the bride to be was happy to take the time to talk aviation with a nice young person who was interested in it. And remember, his daughter made the introduction and he indicated his willingness to do it.

Nothing wrong with the OP having the interest -- that's what this site is about. Nothing wrong with telling a few stories -- we should be grateful that there are people willing to do so.

My 2 cents anyway.

qantasguy

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 am

I was on a flight not too long ago and the poor Captain assigned to sit next to me................   Nah, he was so gracious and professional, just like you'd expect from an airline Captain. We talked all the way to IAH and we both had a great time. Probably annoyed the snot out of those around us   I figure that regardless of your job title, if you enjoy it, then talk about it. What pilot wouldn't enjoy talking to someone who thinks his job is fascinating. I imagine most pilots have been in his shoes   DFWHEAVY, I hope you get to talk to your friend more often, sounds like he's an inspiring guy.......probably wasn't 100kts half way down 1L (5701 feet) though, something could have been missed in the translation....let's assume so   I hope you keep asking questions.
Airplanes Flown on..B-727-100, B-727-200, DC-9, F-27, B-707, B-717, B-737, B-747SP, B-747-100, B-747-200, B-747-300, B74

Max Q

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:55 am

Actually, most of us are still very enthusiastic about our Profession (myself included) and are happy to talk about it.

If not you will soon know !

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 33):
Actually, most of us are still very enthusiastic about our Profession (myself included) and are happy to talk about it.

If not you will soon know !

Seconded! I still can't believe I get paid to do what I absolutely love.

About the only thing that makes me grunt is a middle seat on a deadhead, haha.
Chicks dig winglets.

mauriceb

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:45 am

Lol funny to see some people being so excited to talk to pilots!

I remember the days when u somehow thought they were superb and untouchable (when i was really young  ).. that changed fast when i got accepted at the academy! Most of them are very down to earth, because they realize its not rocket science at all.. Though its still a very fun thing to talk about, and it keeps amazing people.

Good to see he was willing to talk about his profession, when i start i can't stop either hehe.

Greetz!

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Good for you.
Did he tell you about the similiar knobs on the start switch & the Windshield wipers OR the Stab trim manual handles striking the knees  

If you enjoy Aviation....Theres a lot.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ual777

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 17):
If he needed 1 for performance, he was probably a full power anyways... Firewall power is only a % or 2 more.

Oh well...

I don't know about the 737, but on the EMB-145, it is substantially more than 2%. Its more like 10-14% depending on the conditions and selected T/O mode.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 pm

He didn't ignore anything. I asked him about that.. The pilot mentioned that it could have been a number of factors(they were slightly heavier than what they thought, winds changed a few miles per hour from what was report, temps changed a couple degrees from what was reported, etc)

People, this is not some made up story.. it really happened and it scared the crap out of him. There were other pilot witnesses from the planes on the taxiway of the normal departure runway. I may have misheard the "100 knots half way down the runway", but he clearly stated that they were not a speed they were comfortable with, but it was too late to stop...which is completely realistic considering it's only a 5,700 ft runway.

Just because you didn't see it yourself or do not believe it doesn't mean it didn't happen. This is coming straight from the Captain himself while I was in a leisure sitting having coffee, not in some big hurry at an airport where he is trying to impress me. The pilot tole me that was his only close call in commercial aviation.

If you think the story is made up, please don't post here.

Believe it or not, most pilots come close to making some sort of mistake, whether its their fault or not. This was not an error on his party, it's just what happened. You probably don't want to know how often there are fairly close calls that the passenger is unaware of.

[Edited 2011-09-13 09:11:58 by SA7700]
Christopher W Slovacek

tdscanuck

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 38):
He didn't ignore anything. I asked him about that.. The pilot mentioned that it could have been a number of factors(they were slightly heavier than what they thought, winds changed a few miles per hour from what was report, temps changed a couple degrees from what was reported, etc)

If the weight, wind, and temperature all changed and they didn't redo the performance calculation (especially on a short field like SNA)...how is that not ignoring something?

Tom.

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Weights don't change, but you never know a plane's exact weight considering people and bags are not truly weighed. It's very possible that the plane was a several thousand pounds heavier than calculated (it has happened many of times before). The wind and temperature were given at a time before the actual takeoff so could have changed a degree or two. He stated the above were the most likely scenarios, but even he can't pinpoint exactly what it was. The performance numbers given by the computer and the actual results came out to be a bit different and he was on the edge of his seat for a minute.

It's not a made up story although many on here think they know every single thing. What happened happened, like it or not.
Christopher W Slovacek

catiii

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 40):
Believe it or not, most pilots come close to making some sort of mistake,

Believe it or not, most pilots don't...

Goldenshield

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 39):
If you think the story is made up, please don't post here.

You're on a forum, on the internet. You're old enough to know by now that you're going to get skeptics regardless of what may or may not be the truth.

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 41):

If the weight, wind, and temperature all changed and they didn't redo the performance calculation (especially on a short field like SNA)...how is that not ignoring something?

+1

Also, even a degree or two in temp, or a couple thousands of an inch on the altimeter isn't going to change the performance that noticibly.

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 42):
Weights don't change, but you never know a plane's exact weight considering people and bags are not truly weighed. It's very possible that the plane was a several thousand pounds heavier than calculated (it has happened many of times before).

Maybe a couple hundred over, which won't hurt performance that much. IF, and this is a big if, there was a typo in the load plan, then there could very well be a large discrepancy in the weights, but that's rare. However, the ramp crews are pretty good about knowing their bag counts, including heavy/duffle bags, and also how much cargo they put on the plane. I think the bigger item here is that he was taking off with a tailwind. It's not wrong or illegal to do so, but it's not something I'd want to try at SNA.

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 42):
It's not a made up story although many on here think they know every single thing. What happened happened, like it or not.

Whiney much? The fact is, that we're going off second-hand information, and that several of us here know more than you on these matters, and thus, we can weigh in on any technical/legal/BS issues that we might see---especially as reported.

liffy1a

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 40):
Believe it or not, most pilots come close to making some sort of mistake

Most pilots don't come close to making mistakes, they all make mistakes, we're human.

But when the wind, weight and temperature change and you're about to take a 737 into the air from a 5700ft runway and ignore to do the performane, well, most pilots don't make that mistake.

[Edited 2011-09-13 07:39:20]

codc10

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:24 pm

It's physics. Unless someone committed an error or a failure occurred, these things don't just happen serendipitously.

Regardless, SNA departures (especially to EWR) typically are "full power" takeoffs.

[Edited 2011-09-13 09:18:48 by SA7700]

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm tired of arguing with people on here about this. I tried to share a good story that happened a couple years back and it's been met with criticism left and right from people who weren't even there. It's sickening.

Moderator. Please delete my topic/thread.
Christopher W Slovacek

jetblast

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 44):
The fact is, that we're going off second-hand information, and that several of us here know more than you on these matters, and thus, we can weigh in on any technical/legal/BS issues that we might see---especially as reported.

Every pilot makes mistakes, although I am certain that the majority of them are not as serious as this one. I certainly hope that there was a bit of exaggeration in his story, because I know CO generally does not operate with the mindset that this pilot must have had if it happened on purpose.

I'd like to hear the story itself from the pilot, although I doubt we will see that as I am sure he would be absolutely THRILLED to see his 'mistake' story is all over the internet for the whole world to see. If he had known that it would he probably wouldn't have told you the story in the first place.

[Edited 2011-09-13 08:36:23]
Speedbird Concorde One

RWA380

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:37 pm

DFWHeavy, congrats on your weekend If I had the chance you did, I would have done what you did, chat aviation as much as possible. Heck, I just got out of an extended stay at a PDX area hospital where one of my wonderful nurses devulged her husband has number one seniority for AS as a flight attendant at the PDX base. I took any opportunity to ask questions about his job, new secret stuff etc... don't let some here taint your experience, what you got was a guy proud of his job, talking about something he loves to someone who appreciates it. You both must have had fun. Good for you. I am sure what he told you was accurate and try not let negativity from others here piss on your parade.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

seven3seven

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:41 pm

AND another a.netter's dreams are shattered.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

RWA380

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:13 pm

There are so many of you negative people trying to discredit this guy, if you spent half as much time saying, "good for you" or doing anything else positive this forum would be a nicer place to visit. I've never seen so many jackals looking to pounce as I do here. This is supposed to be fun, not to get your integrity questioned when you post. Why do so many of you find obvious relish in attacking anothers thread? It's the same ones that do this over and over. You were not there, you did not hear what was said, let the guy share. I guess if your not a pilot, you can't share an experience or enjoy a new friendship with someone who is? DFWHeavy, thanks for sharing, obviously, some here have much to learn about being gracious and tactful when it comes to others.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA