LAXintl
Topic Author

Virgin America Unveils New IFE System

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Virgin America in partnership with Lufthansa Systems plans to roll out a new IFE system call BoardConnect into 2012.

BoardConnect will feature enhanced generation of Red, Virgin America's inflight system. Seats will feature new HD monitors, a QWRTY equipped keyboard remote, and improved WiFi connectivity with scalable bandwidth.

One aircraft N814VA, now named the #nerdbird, will commence back-end testing of the new platform this month.

Story and Press release:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/v...stems-unveil-new-in-flight-entert/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Kleiner

RE: Virgin America Unveils New IFE System

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Glad to see someone is investing when everyone else is nickel and diming us.

as739x

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Let me rephrase to appease are Mod's here...

How much will VX be investing for these upgrades? As a carrier that has showed lack of profit, though as I said before, there may be more money then we think.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

col

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 2):
How much will VX be investing for these upgrades? As a carrier that has showed lack of profit, though as I said before, there may be more money then we think.

You mean they are hiding a wad of cash somewhere?

These new systems are lighter, easier to install and maintain, so there is probably a benefit in upgrading more than the release is saying. What makes me laugh is the comment that LH Technology or whatever it is called is a leader in IFE. Maybe they should talk to their sister airline about this, some sort of internal memo, e-mail or something only 15years behind other majors.

propilotjw

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Great job VX! It looks like they are leap-frogging themselves to be be light years ahead of the competition.